ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 15th, 2009, 09:34 AM   #1
mcteague
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Yamaha FZ6

250R market saturated?

I listed my 2008 Ninja 250R @ $3200 a few weeks ago and then dropped it to $3100. It includes a rear cowl and ZG DB windshield and is in great shape. Still, after lots of e-mails it has yet to sell. I have seen others for sale in my area, Baltimore, and they are asking more. Sure is different than last year.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20908

Tim
mcteague is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 09:36 AM   #2
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
People may be wanting to buy a new one since the price is so affordable for such a nice bike.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 09:45 AM   #3
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
People are afraid of the green ones. They are reported to be faster than a 600. Hang in there. You will get someone who isn't scare of the speed. The season up there is just starting.

Old June 15th, 2009, 09:48 AM   #4
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tin

Motorcycle(s): 08 black 250r (sold); '09 black zx6r

Maybe the price is a little high for that mileage.
I got mine for 3200 with 106 miles.
Have you tried craigslist?
tinng321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #5
mcteague
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Yamaha FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinng321 View Post
It's on Craigslist. That is where most of the interest has come. I always expect people to work on the price but the people who seem interested never actually come to see it. So, I have to assume they were not all that serious. The bike is paid off and I have the new FZ6 so I'm not desperate, just surprised.

One, just like mine, is listed for more and they admit it was dropped and there is a small crack. Mine is perfect! Oh, well, I'll keep waiting before I drop below $3000.

Tim
mcteague is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #6
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

good things come to those who wait... I don't think you're asking too much by any means - give it a few more weeks - weather is just getting to the point where new riders are itching to get on a bike and don't want to wait for a dealership... you'll sell soon I think

Old June 15th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #7
kkim

yep, sit tight. you'll sell it to the buyer that knows what they are looking for.

plus... the economy sucks right now.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 11:31 AM   #8
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinng321 View Post
wow just 106 miles - what was reason for previous owner selling?
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 11:39 AM   #9
unowned
ninjette.org member

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): NINJA 250R 08

i was trying to sell my ninja a little over a month ago, at the time it had just rolled over 10k clicks, $4500 CAD, had a lot of bites and interested folks but i ended up keeping it because i realized i could use another season of honing my skills on the 250 plus it could double as a track bike without breaking the bank. Instead, I've opted to put a few performance upgrades on it to keep my interest in the bike fresh and exciting.

Toronto's 250 market is not as saturated as the states as far as I can tell. It really depends on your locale.

What should ultimately help you is that the kawi green is no longer available. I find that most people either find the green to be disgusting or can't imagine owning a kawi without it being green. (I'm the latter of course )
unowned is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 11:46 AM   #10
patw
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by unowned View Post
What should ultimately help you is that the kawi green is no longer available. I find that most people either find the green to be disgusting or can't imagine owning a kawi without it being green. (I'm the latter of course )
I've read somewhere that "Lime Green Paint Saves Lives", people should be clamoring for the bike, it's just safer

Old June 15th, 2009, 03:40 PM   #11
ASecretNinja
ATGATT Squid Killer

Name: Chad

Motorcycle(s): '06 CBR600

I'm not (entirely) trying to be a dick, but this is why I paid $2000 for a used one, and not twice the price for something merely cause its "new" that I KNOW I'm ultimately going to sell. Unless something catastrophic happens, I know I'll be able to sell my bike for what I bought it for.
ASecretNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #12
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Gas prices are going back up slowly. Last year's "bulge" in 250 sales where most probably due to part of the cost of gasoline. Financing is also less available this year due to the recession. People are more likely to hold off buying what they perceive to be an "accesssory" due to the money crunch. Sit tight there will probably be a bite when gas hits 3.00 in July.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2009, 07:30 AM   #13
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

The market around here has basically been saturated by people selling used low mileage 250s and stealerships who want too much for what they're selling. Used to be that the dealerships couldn't get any and the used late model 250s wouldn't last a week on craigslist or ebay, but now that they've got a few on the floor, the used ones (which are all listed way more than they're worth for my area) aren't moving, and the prices are steadily coming down.

When the gas prices peak later this summer, likely the higher priced (regardless of reason) used bikes will begin selling again, even though TRUE total cost of ownership on a bike is generally higher than a comparable car.

I paid $3200 for my bike in the middle of winter, and it only had 1500 miles on it and no mods, and I paid WAY more than I should have. Mostly because the money was burning a hole in my pocket and I just HAD to have one, but at the time there were no others on the market and the dealers couldn't get any 09s. Now that summer has hit, similar bikes, close to the same mileage in an 08 or an 09, in my area, are going for $3K or under.

Old June 16th, 2009, 07:40 AM   #14
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

checked the KBB retail value and it was 2695. The price you areasking is fair I think cause its has low miles and still cheaper than a new one after taxes/license fee's/dealership fee's etc.
You may want to add that the bike is paid for in full and clean title in hand.
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote