ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 18th, 2009, 03:36 PM   #1
Lurkable
250Arrrgh!

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R, 2001 996

Bike down...won't start

Well I walked out of my apartment 30 minutes ago to see my bike on it's side for the first time...seems someone knocked it over with their car. Needless to say I'm really angry and it's making my very uncomfortable.

Anyway, it fell on it's left side against the street curb. Besides a bunch of scratches on the fairing, the main problem is that it won't start. When I try to start it I hear a sound like something that's trying to spin is blocked. The inside of the fairing is touching the bottom of the block, I guess it's the oil pan and....the foam inside the fairing is soaked. The bike itself wasn't dripping anything but I'm afraid that's just because the foam is soaking it up. I have class soon so I may not get a chance to take the fairing off until tomorrow but until then...any ideas what to look for?

Lurkable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2009, 03:48 PM   #2
kkim

is the foam soaked with gas? does the bike turn over at all when you hit the start button?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #3
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I hope you called the police so they can right a report for insurance purposes.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #4
Lurkable
250Arrrgh!

Added some pics. When I put it up on the stand I noticed something yellowish dripping from the bottom of the fairing. I took off both fairings and couldn't see anything really wrong. Tried starting it again....now the starter seems to be working, but the engine won't actually start.

It's hard to say about the liquid in the foam...when I took the fairings off nothing was dripping anymore. Oil and coolant are both full. My neighbor said he thought it smelled like gasoline and I'm not sure myself (bad sense of smell) but I guess maybe it kind of does.

I will get a police report but it will have to wait as I have class now. =(

Old November 18th, 2009, 04:30 PM   #5
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

This happens so often that I learned to ALWAYS park my bike as far out in the space/stall as possible for maximum visibility. I also usually choose a less desirable space based on visibility... a space next to hedges, a cart-corral, or a curb instead of a closer space next to another space (another space could soon be occupied by another vehicle that blocks a third vehicle from seeing yours).

God luck fixing it.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2009, 04:38 PM   #6
kkim

most likely flooded from laying on it's side. try this...

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_ca..._I_flood_it%3F

Old November 18th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #7
Lurkable
250Arrrgh!

Thanks Kim I think you are right...just got home from class and my apartment smells like gasoline (soaked fairing inside). What I don't understand is where the fuel could have leaked from exactly.

Old November 18th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #8
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

That's why I hate parking my bike at all - everytime I do it, I walk back with some hesitation. Good luck...
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #9
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkable View Post
Thanks Kim I think you are right...just got home from class and my apartment smells like gasoline (soaked fairing inside). What I don't understand is where the fuel could have leaked from exactly.
Float bowl vents.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2009, 07:37 PM   #10
Lurkable
250Arrrgh!

Thanks everyone, bike is running fine. Only thing broken is the fairing. I live on campus at sfsu and the street is the only place they'll let me park my bike. Of course people try to squeeze their cars into spaces that don't exist and stuff like this happens.

Well there are all these un-used covered parking spaces literally right next to my apartment that are owned by the university and they won't let students use them. This...from a school that's seriously hurting from budget cutbacks. Gonna take on the bureaucracy tomorrow, wish me luck!

Old November 18th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #11
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Quote:
Thanks everyone, bike is running fine. Only thing broken is the fairing. I live on campus at sfsu and the street is the only place they'll let me park my bike. Of course people try to squeeze their cars into spaces that don't exist and stuff like this happens.

Well there are all these un-used covered parking spaces literally right next to my apartment that are owned by the university and they won't let students use them. This...from a school that's seriously hurting from budget cutbacks. Gonna take on the bureaucracy tomorrow, wish me luck!
When you talk to the school tomorrow see if they have cameras that may have cought the culprit.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #12
kkim

lube yor chain.

Old November 18th, 2009, 09:17 PM   #13
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

and give that engine a good cleaning while you have the fairings off, please.

Old November 19th, 2009, 12:36 AM   #14
Lurkable
250Arrrgh!

Haha, I knew someone would notice that chain...it's been outside for a few days with no cover. Also that's the original chain which brings me to another question for those of you who are still paying attention...

17k miles later, and I was planning on replacing the chain next time I have the bike serviced. But I just wanted to mention that I cleaned and adjusted the chain a couple weeks ago and noticed as I was spinning the rear wheel that the chain was significantly tighter in certain sections. I'm assuming this is what happens to old chains and a sign that it should be replaced. Basically it was hell to adjust this time...every time I thought I had it perfect I would go to tighten the axle nut and find that all of a sudden...zero slack! Went through about 5 cotter pins...also due to the fact that the bike has been stored outside since I moved here the swingarms are just plain dirty and the adjusters seemed almost not to be moving.

Old November 19th, 2009, 01:45 AM   #15
kkim

clean and lube your chain every 400 miles. worn chains are usually measured by how far you can lift the chain off the rear sprocket. If you can lift it more that the 1/2 the height of the sprocket tooth, it's time for a new chain. the number one cause for a destroyed chain is inadequate lubrication. A properly cared for O ring chain should last a lot longer than 17k miles.

see a pattern forming here?

Old November 19th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #16
cifex
ninjette.org guru

Name: Z

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (sold)

I gasped when I saw that chain!
cifex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2009, 12:37 AM   #17
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

i think that has to be one of the rustiest chains i have seen.

anyways, glad to hear that you got your problem fixed. sorry about the hit and run though. those chicken kaka people piss me off. be an adult and own up.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2009, 02:49 PM   #18
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Haha, I knew someone would notice that chain...it's been outside for a few days with no cover. Also that's the original chain which brings me to another question for those of you who are still paying attention...

17k miles later, and I was planning on replacing the chain next time I have the bike serviced. But I just wanted to mention that I cleaned and adjusted the chain a couple weeks ago and noticed as I was spinning the rear wheel that the chain was significantly tighter in certain sections. I'm assuming this is what happens to old chains and a sign that it should be replaced. Basically it was hell to adjust this time...every time I thought I had it perfect I would go to tighten the axle nut and find that all of a sudden...zero slack! Went through about 5 cotter pins...also due to the fact that the bike has been stored outside since I moved here the swingarms are just plain dirty and the adjusters seemed almost not to be moving.
I had the same problem a couple weeks ago. I probably even stretched the chain!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote