ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 4th, 2010, 10:21 AM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Did I get gouged?

The estimate was a cool $800, so when they said it would be "600-something" but they didn't find the problem, I didn't know how to feel. When it came time to pay they told me that they knocked it down again to $568. I still feel ripped.

Here is what I asked for:
New rims, sprockets, and chain installed (rims, sprockets, and chain provided, various bits billed)
Little metal piece under fairing in front of right front turn signal straightened (it was pushing out from underneath after I tried to drive off with a cable-lock running through my tire, forks, and around the side).
Correct choke operation (does not engage until it is turned up almost all the way which prevents full engagement)
Investigate and fix cause of break down (broke down three times; once I had to push it 1mi to a gas station and it started when I added gas; was not empty)
Investigate "fumes" coming from exhaust (strong gassy smell).
Regular 11.5K mile service (Shell Rotella T6 provided)

Result:
Choke cable exactly like it was
Smelly exhaust fumes still present
Cause of breakdown undiagnosed (they said they couldn't find anything wrong)
Rims/sprockets/tires/chain mounted
Oil change/11.5K mile service

The breakdowns have happen thousands of miles apart and I expected it to be a tricky diagnosis, but I did tell them to find the problem and I WILL pay. I fell like I paid anyway and got nothing to show for it.

Out of the $568, $391 was for labor/service. "INSTALL WHEELS" was $178, "INSTALL CHAIN AND SPROCKETS" was $107, and "TUNE AND SERVICE" was $133, and there was a $26 "SERVICE DISCOUNT."

It sure doesn't seem like anything was tuned or running any better. I "noticed" they adjusted my shift linkage down A LOT.

Considering how little was actually done, I feel ripped off. I mean, a regular 12K service would be around $130, IIRC, and that would include the oil (I provided full synth). FWIW, I replaced the Air Filter Cleaning Element myself around 11K miles. I did pay $6 for a riviet link. On top of that, they bent a little piece of metal for me (I only asked because they'd have the fairings off) and installed my rims, tires, sprockets, and chain. Is that really worth the difference?!

When I get my valves serviced again, I want to take it some place that will actually diagnose my problems. I will have probably broken down three more times by then!

Oh! I originally asked for a brake job but the parts were backordered so that didn't factor in to anything.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2010, 10:49 AM   #2
Tigress
Musical Genius

Name: Belinda

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R Blue AKA "The Kid" 08 Vulcan 900 Classic Blue(for now) AKA "Honey"

I feel your pain man. I also got rims from Tim and called the local place where I usually get my work done to find out how much they would charge to put them own. I think they quoted me 3 hours at $85 an hour plus if it needed new bairings and stuff would be extra. Lucky there's a local guy here Tim hipped me to and I paid $40 for him to change everything out. I could not see paying $255 for a tire change.
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2010, 12:55 PM   #3
altomista
Evil Mad Scientist

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2006 EX250F6FL, 1986 ZX600A2, 1975 Honda CB550

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Out of the $568, $391 was for labor/service. "INSTALL WHEELS" was $178, "INSTALL CHAIN AND SPROCKETS" was $107, and "TUNE AND SERVICE" was $133, and there was a $26 "SERVICE DISCOUNT."
The price for getting your tires mounted, wheels on bike, is reasonable, and so are the chain and sprockets install. At about an $90/hr, the chain/sprockets is an hour job, which is about right. From what I've seen, tire mounting normally goes for ~$20/tire, wheel off bike. When the wheels are on the bike, then you're just asking for the hourly rate, which the shop did charge you. They had to unmount and remount the brake calipers and wheels, grease your axles, adjust your chain, unmount and mount the tires, etc. If you want to save in the long run on labor costs, go spend your money on a set of stands and take off the wheels yourself. You could have saved yourself more money by doing the oil change part of the 12k service yourself.

As for the rest of the service/tune, either complain to them and have them redo whatever you don't feel was done or complain the CA Bureau of Automotive Repair.

Avatar created by J.J. McCullough and taken from Wikipedia's Mad Scientist entry.
altomista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by altomista View Post
The price for getting your tires mounted, wheels on bike, is reasonable, and so are the chain and sprockets install. At about an $90/hr, the chain/sprockets is an hour job, which is about right. From what I've seen, tire mounting normally goes for ~$20/tire, wheel off bike. When the wheels are on the bike, then you're just asking for the hourly rate, which the shop did charge you. They had to unmount and remount the brake calipers and wheels, grease your axles, adjust your chain, unmount and mount the tires, etc. If you want to save in the long run on labor costs, go spend your money on a set of stands and take off the wheels yourself. You could have saved yourself more money by doing the oil change part of the 12k service yourself.

As for the rest of the service/tune, either complain to them and have them redo whatever you don't feel was done or complain the CA Bureau of Automotive Repair.
The labor that goes into each job if done individually should not be totaled that way (separate), regardless. For example, you put the sprockets on the new rims before mounting them and you take the old rims off as part of removing the old sprockets. I had to have the work performed by someone else so I could bill the city for the dented rim and associated costs. It's not like they put everything back togetehr for each step of the job or else they'd be more than doubiling the work... Install new sprockets on old rim and reassemble. Disassemble and remove sprocket from old rim, install on new rim and install on bike. Reassemble. Disassemble and remove old chain. Install new chain and reassemble. Ludicrous!

Old April 4th, 2010, 03:13 PM   #5
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
The labor that goes into each job if done individually should not be totaled that way (separate), regardless. For example, you put the sprockets on the new rims before mounting them and you take the old rims off as part of removing the old sprockets. I had to have the work performed by someone else so I could bill the city for the dented rim and associated costs. It's not like they put everything back togetehr for each step of the job or else they'd be more than doubiling the work... Install new sprockets on old rim and reassemble. Disassemble and remove sprocket from old rim, install on new rim and install on bike. Reassemble. Disassemble and remove old chain. Install new chain and reassemble. Ludicrous!
if you feel that way, learn to do your own service or find another shop.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2010, 03:42 PM   #6
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

The city is picking up the bill?
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2010, 04:30 PM   #7
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
if you feel that way, learn to do your own service or find another shop.
....AHHhhhhh, again a common theme!

But he's trying to get an insurance settlement from the city for his dented rim....

Old April 4th, 2010, 04:37 PM   #8
kkim

thanks, I realized that after I made my post.

I think the shop is doing the billing like this on purpose because it is being picked by the city. They most likely see dollars sign$ when a government agency/insurance company is involved.

I would have had the services/repairs addressed separately (at different service dates) to avoid the confusion.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2010, 05:24 PM   #9
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

I agree on semi-reasonable price with the services they actually itemized (tires, sprockets, etc), but ~$400 for labor when they didn't seem to have fixed anything but the swap-out stuff and a little bent metal bracket says to me: you were ripped. Go back, talk to a manager to get the job done right or talk to the BBB and the other bureau altomista suggested. I realize it's mechanic time spent one way or another, but that's nuts.

Old April 21st, 2010, 07:21 PM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Last week I finally went through the first full tank of gas without additives since the service and, believe it or not, my fuel economy actually went DOWN with such an extreme gearing change. (15:41 from 14:45)

The fumes are terrible. When I was warming up last week, my coworker said he was going to get high if he didn't move to the other side of my bike! How they "could not find anything wrong" with it running like that is beyond me. I'm calling back.