ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 6th, 2011, 06:47 AM   #1
n_aditya
ninjette.org member

Name: Aditya

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (for the weekend's) and the Suzuki Fiero for office commute.

Switching from IRC's to Pirelli Sport Demons

So my bike is hovering at the 12,000 kms mark in just about a year (she'll be a year old on the 7th of next month )

I am going to have to change the stock IRC's which came fitted on the bike from the factory. It has served me well except for the front which had picked up a brass tack on the highway. Thanks to my puncture kit, it was repaired instantly with no hassles.

The front has enough tread so it will remain while the rear needs replacement after another 1000 miles or so. I was thinking of switching to the Pirelli Sport Demons (we dont get the 'stone BT045's here ) and have a few queries. Would appreciate advice from the experts here. Oh yeah, she is a 2010 ninjette.

1. Can i switch to 140 width tires on the stock wheels?

2. Will there be loss of handling / flickability / acceleration / top whack etc.? (a friend of mine switched from 130 IRC to 140 sport demon on his 2010 'jette and said it offered better grip with no deterioration in handling or speeds etc.

3. I have heard that a wider tire wears out the sprocket faster (since the tire is a tad heavier) and causes a drop in fuel efficiency, top speeds, etc. Is this true?

4. How do the SD's grip compared to the IRC's? (wet and dry weather, no snow here)

Please pour in your thoughts and suggestions. I'll be making the switch in a month or two.

P.S. Thanks in advance for the advices.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 07:57 AM   #2
cwb48
Mature motorcyclist

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, blue

Go with the Sport Demons, but don't mix and match- replace them both, preferably with the stock sizes. The only thing to be gained from a larger rear tire is purely cosmetic.

Chris
cwb48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 09:20 AM   #3
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

The sport demons are tons better then the IRC's in terms of grip in all conditions. I also suggest just getting the stock sizes. With the extra grip that the sport demons already provide there is no reason what-so-ever to go wider.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #4
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE- SOLD to maverick9611

I'm also planning on upgrading from my IRCs to the PSDs and I'm going to keep them at stock sizes. When I first picked up my bike, I questioned putting a larger tire on the rear, but they strongly recommended against it. They said Kawasaki makes and tests the bikes to that spec and that's how it should be left. I know there is a spilt decision on this on the forum, I haven't heard anyone going up in size having a problem (most go to the 150), but IMO I wouldn't do it and I don't plan to either. The larger tire seems mostly cosmetic...although it does look sweet.

Old April 6th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #5
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Stock sizes should be fine. It would be a bit more tire area that probably wouldn't be used in most riding situations. The 140 may make the bike a bit more stable, but I doubt it would be noticeable. Too bad you can't get the BT-45s, but from what I understand the SDs are better, they just wear faster.
Xoulrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #6
n_aditya
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (for the weekend's) and the Suzuki Fiero for office commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
Too bad you can't get the BT-45s, but from what I understand the SDs are better, they just wear faster.
Yeah, we dont get the BT 045's here. Checked almost all over the country.

I heard that the sport demons last longer than the IRC's which i seriously doubt as the SD's are softer than the IRC's. Should last nearly as long as the IRC's if not longer.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Much appreciated

Old April 8th, 2011, 09:14 AM   #7
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

For what it's worth, I rode my stock (Dunlop, not IRC) tires to almost 8,000mi, when I replaced them both with stock-sized Sport Demons. I'm at almost exactly 16,000mi now (8,000mi on the SDs) and it's time to replace the rear again. Thus, in my experience longevity is pretty equivalent while the tire gives significantly better grip than even the 'good' factory tires.

Old April 8th, 2011, 03:29 PM   #8
The Blue Rider
ninjette.org member

Name: Terry

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Replacing stock tires with Pirelli Sport Demons = whole different bike. The Pirellis are worlds better in my experience, with a drastic increase in feel and "sportiness", so to speak. My first tight turn coming back from the dealership after I had them put on, I could swear I nearly dragged a knee... Felt like MotoGP or something.

Don't mix and match types (dumb idea), don't bother goofing around with sizes... Just order the Sport Demons from Motorcycle Superstore and be happy. Do it today, you won't be sorry.

The sizes you want are 110/70-17/MC (54H) front, and 130/70-17M/C (62H) rear.
The Blue Rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2011, 10:19 AM   #9
Kawikaze

Name: Daniel

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R SE (Sold)

I like the sport demons, they were quite a difference from the stock IRC's. I've just about worn out mine at about 17k miles.

I rode a friends bike with BT016's though, and was quite impressed with the feel of them. They are wider, but a great alternative overall.

Old April 17th, 2011, 02:18 PM   #10
vkuchhal
ninjette.org member

Name: vibhor

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r -2010

One Question...

why shouldn't mixing of tyres done??

like front IRC and rear PSD..
vkuchhal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 10:42 PM   #11
n_aditya
ninjette.org member

I just bought the Pirelli Sport Demon in 140/70/17 for the rear wheel.

The stock IRC's have another 2000 kms to go before i put this on. I bought it as there is some hoopla going on over importing tires into the country. Didn't want to be stranded with no tires available when i need them so went ahead and bought it. Its safely tucked away at home for the time being.

So i want to ask, now that i have the 140 for the rear, do i also have to put in a wider tire at the front (120)? If i stick to the stock size at the front (110) and have a 140 at the rear will I face any handling issues, especially while cornering etc.?

@Vkuchhal - mixing tires from different brands is not advised as there will be differences in the compounds used and the tread pattern, which could probably affect handling.

Old May 10th, 2011, 12:29 AM   #12
Seattle_Chris
Newb since 10/2009

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE. Slowly morphing to ADV bike. :D

I blew out my rear tire last summer, and put a PDS on it, and left the front stock (I was out of state and well over budget already) and I haven't noticed a handling issue. It's a 2009 SE, so whatever came stock on it in the northwestern USA.

For track riding, or people REALLY in tune with the machine when riding or something it might be noticeable, but it feels fine to me. So if you're thinking of only replacing the rear due to finances or something, I wouldn't fret too much about it.

Just my $00.02
Seattle_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2011, 12:52 AM   #13
kkim

you'll be fine with the 110f/140r
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2011, 11:13 PM   #14
ratlab
ratlab

Name: reese

Motorcycle(s): gsxr1000,R3x2,RC390,FZ07,XR100

bridgestone make a 003rt in a 140 if you want to go with a sticky radial-longevity is a another story-i'm going to try them ,but i do a lot of trackdays-anyone try a 120 front

Last futzed with by ratlab; May 12th, 2011 at 10:17 PM. Reason: add question
ratlab is offline   Reply With Quote