ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 1st, 2011, 09:07 AM   #1
MrBrownTX
ninjette.org member

Name: Brown

Motorcycle(s): 1995 Ninja EX250

Selling a bike, Do you let people test drive it?

So when you sell a motorcyle do you let just any old hilljack test drive it if they have cash? I don't want to mess with that hassle but figure people want to see it work. I figure I could drive it around a parking lot for them to see it run. What is your experience with this?
MrBrownTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 09:17 AM   #2
Vampyre
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R Black, 2005 ZX-6R Blue

Most of what I see is, if you have cash in hand, then you can go for a test ride. If not, the seller can start it and demo for the buyer.
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 09:17 AM   #3
CmichRider
ninjette.org member

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250

A lot of people around here do "cash in hand" tests, as in, you have the cash in your hand while they are driving, if something happens, they bought the bike. They also check for CY endorsement.
CmichRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 09:22 AM   #4
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

Yup, cash in hand, if not you dont touch the bike. You drop it, it's yours. People might get upset with that, but they would be the same way if it was their bike. Like the new Allstate commercial.
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 09:24 AM   #5
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

I haven't sold one yet, but I've been on the buying end twice. Both times the seller allowed us to test drive the bike.

However, I have seen ads that say "Bring cash for a test drive" and other such stuff. I have heard of guys taking it on a test drive and not returning. Cash

If I was selling one, I would probably make the decision once they got there and probably make them show or leave there driver's license. If you have insurance, its probably covered to a certain point.
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 09:29 AM   #6
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
If I was selling one, I would probably make the decision once they got there and probably make them show or leave there driver's license. If you have insurance, its probably covered to a certain point.
I wouldnt even do that, I had a friend (older guy in his 40's whos been around a while) decide to sell his, guy wanted to see it so they met at a local bike shop. Guy looked at it and asked to take it for a spin. So my friend got his DL # and everything and about an hour later guy never showed up. They finally found the frame of the bike, but it had been stripped. Guy got jail time, but my buddy had to file a claim with insurance. So unless you get your cash in hand I wouldn't do it. I've bought and sold on CL for about 5 years and about 6 bikes. I've never had a problem and most the people out there are decent. Its that handfew that wants to screw it up for the rest of us that really sucks.

Old June 1st, 2011, 09:50 AM   #7
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

If I were to sell my bike, I would require my asking price as cash in my hand, a motorcycle endorsement and proof of at least a basic knowledge of bike skills, whether that be a recent msf course certificate or answering a few questions of my choice.

When I bought my bike I showed the previous owner the cash (didn't hand it to him) and my moto license. I inspected the bike and he told me about it's history. He let me test drive it and I made sure to go through every gear, made sure the brakes worked well, etc. I won't buy a bike without test riding it.

Old June 1st, 2011, 10:03 AM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Here's how I handle all of my used bike sales. Basically, the new owner buys it before the test ride, with an agreement to void the sale if it is returned within an agreed upon time period in the same condition. All parties are protected, nothing is left to chance, and if there is an unfortunate incident during the sale, the seller isn't left holding the bag.

Link to relevant thread

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 10:09 AM   #9
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

If they wanna ride it, they can buy it.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 10:11 AM   #10
kkim

when selling, never let someone ride the bike unless the legal paperwork has been signed and transferred over to them.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75024
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 10:21 AM   #11
ricochet08
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ross

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja ex500, 2010 Ninja 250r, 2004 zzr600, 2003 CBR600rr, 2013 Ninja 300...in that order :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosgarage57 View Post
Yup, cash in hand, if not you dont touch the bike. You drop it, it's yours. People might get upset with that, but they would be the same way if it was their bike. Like the new Allstate commercial.
that commercial makes me sad

I had a guy let me test ride a suzuki gn125 w/o having cash in hand, or even an endorsement on my license. But I will NOT let anyone test ride mine w/o cash in hand at the very minimum.
ricochet08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 10:34 AM   #12
MrBrownTX
ninjette.org member

Name: Brown

Motorcycle(s): 1995 Ninja EX250

Thanks for the feed back everyone. That AllState commercial is definitely what is going through my mind.

I am going to sell this pregen though to get a new gen.
MrBrownTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 10:37 AM   #13
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBrownTX View Post
Thanks for the feed back everyone. That AllState commercial is definitely what is going through my mind.

I am going to sell this pregen though to get a new gen.
Wish you were closer, Im looking for a pregen I can streetfighter and dont wanna spend an arm and a leg.

Old June 1st, 2011, 12:28 PM   #14
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Here's how I handle all of my used bike sales. Basically, the new owner buys it before the test ride, with an agreement to void the sale if it is returned within an agreed upon time period in the same condition. All parties are protected, nothing is left to chance, and if there is an unfortunate incident during the sale, the seller isn't left holding the bag.

Link to relevant thread

This is what I do as well. Unless she's hawt

Old June 1st, 2011, 01:35 PM   #15
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

I meet in parking lot, offer to demonstrate the bike. If they want to test ride I get the cash first... no cash, no test ride.

Also, dealers can help facilitate a sale for a fee by doing the paperwork and all in case your not 100% comfy doing it yourself.
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 01:37 PM   #16
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

A friend of mine, who's a somewhat experienced rider, was buying a bike recently. He asked for a test ride, and the owner agreed, saying: you drop it - you buy it. And my friend dropped the bike at the end of a ride, turning back into the driveway (it wasn't a Ninja, but a heavier bike). If it weren't for frame sliders, someone would have been out a grand or two. However, nothing legally obliged my friend to buy the bike or repair it. We could have walked out, and the owner would have no way to enforce the sale or repair (other than with a shotgun, lol).

With that experience in mind I would either demo ride the bike myself or let 'em ride it only with cash in my hands. Nothing else.
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 02:04 PM   #17
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I'm with Alex.
Some dealerships allow test rides--you drop it--you pay.
A friend recently dropped one of those super-fast Bimmers at a dealer. That ride cost him $500. Plastics are not cheap.

Old June 1st, 2011, 02:10 PM   #18
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
I'm with Alex.
Some dealerships allow test rides--you drop it--you pay.
A friend recently dropped one of those super-fast Bimmers at a dealer. That ride cost him $500. Plastics are not cheap.
The local dealership has been hounding me to take a test ride on this or that. I've refused so far. I didn't know they make you pay for damages. I thought they would have insurance to cover that sort of thing.
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 11:51 PM   #19
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

I always let people test ride, but I ride along with them on another bike.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote