ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old August 19th, 2019, 01:43 AM   #1
squirrelnut1416
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 Special Edition

2009 Clutch Issues

Hello everyone,

I have a 2009 250 that sat since 2015 as my life didn't allow me to ride since then. When it was accidentally parked, no winterization was done so as you can imagine the bike was terrible when I decided to revisit it.

I had my buddy at work who does drag racing clean the carb. Works great and starts without any choke. Idles smoothly at 1500.

The issue now I have is with my clutch.

I took the bike out to the end of the street and stopped at the stop sign. I got up to 4th to keep the rpm's low to not annoy the neighbors. When I did, I tried to take off in first. Engine would only say alive at wide open throttle and it sounded like it was bogging, like I was trying to start off in 6th gear. I confirmed I was in first after the bike died and restarted it. Bike still won't take off in first and keeps dying. Put the bike into neutral and rev it to 4k and now it works.

Every time I come to a stop and try to restart in first gear, it just bogs until i stop and restart the bike. Also, when it's bogging, if I pull in the clutch, nothing happens. Bike does not rev and there's no difference at all to the bogging sound.

I changed the oil with Rotella t6 and put a drop of seafoam in there to help clean it up. Ran the bike on the stand in 1st gear to get the clutch moving and work the new oil in.

I disassembled the clutch and replaced the friction discs with EBC ones that i soaked over night and the bike is exactly the same. The clutch springs are no where near their service limit.

I also got the bike on an abandoned road and tried to Italian tune up it a bit. The highest speed the bike would hit is about 45mph. Could it be the clutch is not engaging all the way?

To recap:
Bike sat for a few years
Cleaned carb
Bike won't take off after coming to a stop.
Engine lugs when doing so.
Pulling in the clutch does nothing.
Replaced clutch and oil same exact issues.
squirrelnut1416 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2019, 01:53 AM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Hi Kevin try this test:

1. Start bike and let idle in neutral for a bit.

2. Hold throttle, the quickly open it at least 50%

What happens? Does it bog, or does it quickly rev to redline? Be sure to let off throttle before it redlines.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2019, 07:39 PM   #3
squirrelnut1416
ninjette.org newbie

Bike in neutral engine warm enough goes revs straight up and doesn't stall or hang there at all.

Also, just for the fun of it, i replaced the clutch cable as the old one had started to fall apart. Didn't make any difference but i kind of expected that.

Old August 26th, 2019, 02:36 AM   #4
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelnut1416 View Post
Every time I come to a stop and try to restart in first gear, it just bogs until i stop and restart the bike. Also, when it's bogging, if I pull in the clutch, nothing happens. Bike does not rev and there's no difference at all to the bogging sound.
This sounds more like airflow and/or carb problems than clutch.

1. Try running with no air-filter

2. Try running with 1/2 of air-filter covered with duct-tape (on inlet side)

3. Carefully inspect rubber boots between head & carbs to make sure they are fully seated on both ends, along with no cracks or tears

4. Search this board for "clean carbs" for issues with bikes that have been sitting for more than couple months and solution for these problems.

Old August 26th, 2019, 05:55 AM   #5
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Is that air filter in good shape and the intake snorkel clear?

I'd try removing the filter temporarily and see how it acts.

How fresh is the gas? Tank clean inside? Inline fuel filter at the carb inlet clean?

Have you made adjustments to the idle mixture? I might also drain the floatbowls and look at the fuel that comes out for water or debris.

Sounds like the carbs aren't right to me. Partially plugged jets can do what you described. Damaged carb diaphragms are also a possibility.

Have you looked at the plugs for clues?
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2019, 07:06 AM   #6
DannoXYZ

Yeah, people have found tissue-paper clogging their inlet snorkel. Even a SNAIL has caused problems clogging intake.

Old August 26th, 2019, 11:17 AM   #7
squirrelnut1416
ninjette.org newbie

All,

Thank you for your help. As it turns out it was an issue with the carb. The left carb was 100% blocked. I didn't think that was the case as I just sent it off to be cleaned by my coworker who drag races.

I blew into the jets and couldn't get any air through the left jet. Soaked it in carb cleaner for an hour and the carb cleaner turned yellow. Still couldn't get air through it. Soaked it in pinesol over night and she's ready to go now.

Thank you all for your help!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 26th, 2019, 12:23 PM   #8
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelnut1416 View Post
All,

Thank you for your help. As it turns out it was an issue with the carb. The left carb was 100% blocked. I didn't think that was the case as I just sent it off to be cleaned by my coworker who drag races.

I blew into the jets and couldn't get any air through the left jet. Soaked it in carb cleaner for an hour and the carb cleaner turned yellow. Still couldn't get air through it. Soaked it in pinesol over night and she's ready to go now.

Thank you all for your help!
Make sure you have removed the caps on the idle mixture screws and the screws themselves. Be sure the passages are clear and the o-ring on the screws is in good condition. Set the screws to 2.5 turns out as a base.

Remove the Pilot Jets and be certain the small cross-drilled holes are clear. Run a small soft wire through the Pilot Jets (and any other jets) and spin the jet while spraying with carb cleaner. Seeing light through a jet is not confirmation it's fully open.

"Bench sync" the carbs to get both butterflies the same amount open. Check it again when running with vacuum gauges, but they should be very close unless there is an issue.

Once it's warm, fine-tune the idle mixture screws (highest idle speed - then i like to go about 1/8 turn out/richer to smooth the throttle transition) and set the hot idle to 1300.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.