ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old November 18th, 2019, 01:06 AM   #1
LR44
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250R

Reasonable highway top speed in 6th?

I just wanted to get an idea if my bike's performance is normal. I weigh around 220 and with the exception of removing the front cowling from my bike, the entire bike is stock (mufflers, headers, etc). No shims on the carbs and I have stock jetting. Did a valve adjustment within the last year to factory specs.

When I've gone on the highway, my bike tops out at around 70 mph at around 8-9k. I haven't pinned the throttle yet but it's pretty close. Since I don't have a windscreen, the wind becomes pretty intense. I wanted to see if this should be expected or if my engine is low on power.

Thoughts?
LR44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2019, 06:14 AM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
It should do better than 70 by a longshot, but if you want to know about the top speed, you have to open the throttle fully.

Be careful when making top speed runs!
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2019, 09:02 AM   #3
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
You are going to be limited by aerodynamics because of your size and lack of wind deflection.

You also are not at the power peak or WOT, so downshifting and running at WOT would gain power and speed. Max HP is just over 10,000 RPMs, so that's where you would want to shift and run if you were looking for top speed.

Typical PreGen actual (not indicated) top speed is just under 100, so in your configuration I'd expect to see less - like mid 80s.

Whatever it is, it's going to take a while...
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2019, 09:57 AM   #4
LR44
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250R

Thanks. I suspected that might be the case but just wanted some confirmation.

I converted the bike into a streetfighter so its not nearly as aerodynamic as it was in its stock configuration. I'll rev up in 5th next time and see what that gets me. Going up to 6th doesn't do much.

One thing that I'm grateful for is that even at 70, I don't get any wobble or jittering. I totally rebuilt the front suspension (Sonic Springs, Intimidators) and replaced the rear shock (ZX600 shock, no air), so the only thing that jostles me around is the wind.
LR44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2019, 10:40 AM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
My stock, no-fairing '05 easily makes the 90s, verified by GPS. I do duck down for speed runs though.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2019, 08:18 PM   #6
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Front fairing and windscreen is worth 15-20mph top-speed.

Tucking in tight with chin on tank, mirrors folded back, elbows and arms in with only pinkie finger holding throttle WOT is worth about 5-10mph.

You’ll also want to redline every gear on way because max-power occurs at 13k-rpms on pregen 250. That’s 14k-rpms and if you’re not revving it that high, it won’t have power to accelerate in next gear. Engine puts out 28hp at 13k, but only 15hp at 6.5k. So redline 3rd gear, then 4th gear, and most likely you won’t even redline 5th at 100+ on speedo.

Is engine running smooth all way up to current top-speed?
When was last time valve adjustment done? How far out-of-spec were they?
Do compression test to gauge health of engine.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 20th, 2019, 06:00 AM   #7
Cafe Racer
ninjette.org member

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): Harley Fatboy, Honda CX500, Harley XL1200C Sportster, 305 Honda Dream, Ninja 250

I weigh 195 and have no trouble getting to 100mph. No front fairing or windscreen, but in a full tuck. Also have no problem getting 14,000 plus rpms.
2006 250Ninja. Not sure what an extra 30 pounds would do, but 70mph indicates to me you have a problem with making power.

I am so impressed with these little bikes. I paid only $400 dollars for mine. It had been down several times, but only had 3500 miles. It was not not running, but had a new battery. The problem the PO had was he never checked his 30 amp main fuse. I found a brand new exhaust system in craigslist, paid $80 dollars. It was perfect not one scratch or any blueing on the headers.

It needed new tires. The were to original 2006 date stamped tires from new. Also put on new rear brakes. The OP seemed never to use the front brakes.

Right now I have toooo many bikes, but I am looking for another 250 for $500 or less. Heading to Florida for the winter and only taking one bike. Now I have room in the trailer for another to bring back north in the spring.
Cafe Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2019, 12:24 PM   #8
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR44 View Post
I just wanted to get an idea if my bike's performance is normal. I weigh around 220 and with the exception of removing the front cowling from my bike, the entire bike is stock (mufflers, headers, etc). No shims on the carbs and I have stock jetting. Did a valve adjustment within the last year to factory specs.

When I've gone on the highway, my bike tops out at around 70 mph at around 8-9k. I haven't pinned the throttle yet but it's pretty close. Since I don't have a windscreen, the wind becomes pretty intense. I wanted to see if this should be expected or if my engine is low on power.

Thoughts?
What is the age, manufacturer (brand) and condition of the spark plugs? Good spark is a vital factor.

Also, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your bike's valves but if you do feel that the bike isn't producing proper high-RPM power it's worth taking a peek under the camshaft cover to verify that your recent valve adjustment turned out well. We (here on the forum) have seen situations where an owner did a valve adjustment and something went wrong with one of the valves (either a cracked rocker arm or a rocker arm falling out of it's normal position).

When a rocker arm fails it causes the valve to simply sit in the closed position. The result of this "single valve" failure feels a bit strange to the rider: At low RPMs the bike actually runs better/stronger because of the permanently closed valve, because the cylinder is running like a Honda VFR800 VTEC engine which only operates two valves in each cylinder up to 6,800 RPM. The VTEC system's two-valves-at-low-RPMs strategy makes better torque and horsepower. But if the VTEC didn't start using all four valves above 6,800 RPM the engine's horsepower and torque would fall off at RPMs climbed towards redline.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old December 12th, 2019, 09:49 AM   #9
dukeswift
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 02 Aprilia RS70 97 Ninja 250

I think the question should also be asked is what kind of gearing are you running?
dukeswift is offline   Reply With Quote