ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 17th, 2009, 06:55 AM   #1
djindia23
Ride or Die Ninja

Name: Kichu

Motorcycle(s): Blue Ninja 250R (the fastest color)

Went down on the highway

I consider myself very lucky right now.... So Thursday night i took out the ninjette to goo meet up with some friends... i was doing about 70 and going to over take this car on interstate 80 here in new jersey.... i hit a rough patch of road and the handlebars began to goo crazy... i thought i caught it and could handle it but it went crazy again and i went down.... instinctively i let go of the bike and i rolled on the right lane of the highway and into the shoulder lookin up all i saw were sparks flying from what i later realized was the exhaust rubbing against the concrete.... luckily my friend was behind me in his car and was able to slow down traffic soo i didnt get run over... i had my jacket on but not zipped up but it did save me from gettin more road rash that i did.... my stomach had some small rash but the major part of my injury came to my knees as i only had on jeans... my knees are all messed up now... but my timberland boots saved my ankle and my legs....

the bike went down on its nose piece... so that broke off on the right side... and the rest is just scraping of the right side fairing the mirror and the turn signal.... the rear brake doesnt engage but the pedal is still there... thinkin it might just be the cable but not sure... soo my parents are making me get rid of the bike even though i wanted to just fix it up over the winter and get back on next year... its been such a sad and depressing weekend but i am counting my blessings to be alive and not more seriously injured... might just post the bike up on this forum for sale or on craigslist as is if the insurance company doesnt total it which i dont think they will.... be safe out there everyone and always wear your gear... i know it saved me like crazy...
djindia23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2009, 07:00 AM   #2
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Wow! Glad you are okay!! Heal up quick!
Roadrash - Sucks

Old August 17th, 2009, 07:21 AM   #3
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Wow I'm definitely glad you're ok. Sounds like a bit of a tank slapper there. Definitely a good remind to keep the gear on!
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2009, 07:24 AM   #4
djindia23
Ride or Die Ninja

it was a hard core tank slapper.... but yeah im really glad i had on my gear... id just like to pass that on but i know everyone on here is smart enough to wear there gear.... just wanted to throw it back out there...

Old August 17th, 2009, 07:28 AM   #5
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Life motto: Learn from the mistakes of others, you can't make them all yourself

Old August 17th, 2009, 07:37 AM   #6
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

Bummer about the crash and bike, good thing your gear worked. Maybe you will be able to get back into riding some time after you move out of the parents house and dont have to listen to them about getting a bike or not.
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #7
djindia23
Ride or Die Ninja

hahaha cali thats what i was thinkin too... but we'll see.... im gonna miss the bike a lot... its still in my garage gonna have to call insurance and have em look at it and either total it or whatever... then if they dont will just have to sell it...

Old August 17th, 2009, 12:15 PM   #8
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Suzuki GSX-R750

oh man that sux!! at least your still alive and well!!!, I definitely need to find some protection for my knees, I hate wearin track pants or big bulky pants with armor..I keep hearing more and more stories like yours though,where knees get ****ed up with only jeans.....
AnarchoMoltov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #9
andrewexd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 07 GSXR600 (N250 sold :( )

damn that sucks, hope you're ok. Don't worry about the bike, you will have plenty of time to ride again.

The biggest fear imo is getting run over on the freeway...
andrewexd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2009, 01:24 PM   #10
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

wow, glad to hear you're okay. jeans suck suck as protection (found out the hard way, and so did you)
sucks about the bike

any advice on how to avoid these types of things? or anything you wish you had done differently that could caused it to turn out different? im just asking because i just started riding and just want to learn from this

Old August 17th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #11
komohana
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

glad you're alright

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2009, 02:03 PM   #12
cifex
ninjette.org guru

Name: Z

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (sold)

Sorry to hear that. Glad you posted. Going to stop putting off ordering a pair of Draggin Jeans and Icon Field Leg Armor.
cifex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2009, 02:20 PM   #13
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Glad to hear that you are alright and nothing permanent is damaged. You might be able to get back into riding when you move out of your parents home, but make sure you do it before you get married. If I have a wreck, I have a feeling that SWMBO will tell me no more bikes.

nb

Old August 17th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #14
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Gonna add to everyone else's "glad you're ok and able to pass on your experience to others and that totally sucks about the bike".
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2009, 05:29 PM   #15
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnarchoMoltov View Post
oh man that sux!! at least your still alive and well!!!, I definitely need to find some protection for my knees, I hate wearin track pants or big bulky pants with armor..I keep hearing more and more stories like yours though,where knees get ****ed up with only jeans.....
That is EXACTLY why I wear motorcycle pants every time I ride.

Every time.

ATGATT means ALL the gear. Not just a helmet, jacket and gloves.

I'm old enough not to give a rip what anybody thinks of how I look, and I'm wise enough to buy comfy gear.

I fully respect the freedom to make your own choices when it comes to gear. I think squids are stupid, but I don't want to force them to wear gear.

I practice ATGATT simply because I just can't think of an excuse for not wearing all that stuff that's stronger than my desire to keep my tender pink hide intact. If I could think of one, I'd probably slack off, but I can't come up with a valid reason not to bother protecting myself.

I'm very happy that the OP is relatively unscathed despite having an off that started at 70 mph (from the description, he probably wasn't going 70 by the time he came off the bike, but was still going plenty quick).

But I can't help thinking that had he been wearing proper pants with armor, maybe he wouldn't even have that road rash. Maybe he could have stood in front of his folks in his skivvies and proved to them that he's just FINE and uninjured despite falling off the bike.

Pain is a really, really good teacher. I've had my share in my life (I'm 50) and I've learned enough lessons the hard way. I hope the OP takes a lesson from this.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #16
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

I'm sorry to hear about your accident, but glad you're mostly ok. Just remember that your parents love you very much and are terrified because they almost lot you. It's hard to get until you're a parent yourself, but you'll understand one day.
Heal up, and watch for infection!

Old August 17th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #17
tc3jg
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnarchoMoltov View Post
icon knee field armor is pretty good i got it ....slightly less mobility but its ok
tc3jg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2009, 07:47 AM   #18
cifex
ninjette.org guru

Name: Z

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (sold)

The Icon was the only one I could find that didn't look like it would get pulled away from my knee in a slide. I don't like the whole floating cup knee protection.
cifex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2009, 08:53 AM   #19
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue 250R

Damn dude i can't believe that, route 80 sucks. Just out of curiosity where on 80 were you when you went down? I myself have only been between fairfield and clifton on 80 with the bike. It sucks that one less 250r ninja will be on the road in our area, i would've been psyched if i saw another blue newgen on the road!

Also, a question for the pros, does a steering dampener absolutely prevent these tank slappers or does it just reduce the chances of it happening?

Old August 18th, 2009, 09:10 AM   #20
gizmogamez
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE Green

glad to hear you are ok for the most part, sorry about the bike, that sucks
gizmogamez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #21
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Suzuki GSX-R750

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3jg View Post
icon knee field armor is pretty good i got it ....slightly less mobility but its ok
I ordered the icon field armor, but its too big for my skinny legs, I had to return it, because it would keep slideing down..
AnarchoMoltov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2009, 10:30 AM   #22
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Glad to hear the OP is alive and well, if somewhat wiser. Very sorry to hear you had a close encounter of the asphalt kind though and that your folks are making you sell, but as noche said, they care about ya.

RE: Icon armor, it was a little too big for me too, so I went back to the gym to work my legs a bit harder and added a bit more velcro to the thigh pieces. With that and tall boots, it stays put every time.

Old August 18th, 2009, 11:37 AM   #23
Kawasabi
ninjette.org member

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): RED 250R

Man, fukin a!!!! Rt 80 is nuts I tell you, some old fart in a worned out buick is going 100...... god speed!!!

And what about them retards (excuse the Russian) in shorts and t-shirts and hauling ass on their Busas weaving in and out of traffic???? Must be in a hurry to see god. Damn, god speed!!!!
Kawasabi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2009, 11:43 AM   #24
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue 250R

I'll never forget when I was heading east to the city in the local lane, the express side had an 18 wheeler parked near the express shoulder, and there was a bike laying on it's side about 50 feet up. No sign of any rider, must've been taken away from the scene by the time i saw it. There were police all over and flares and sirens. It's a pretty certain guess that the 18 wheeler clipped the bike and the bike rider died. That was 3 years ago before i contemplated ever getting a bike. I've always been afraid of 80 ever since.

Old August 18th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #25
tiburonsita
ninjette.org member

Name: m

Motorcycle(s): 2009 black Ninja 250R

Wow, that's gotta be scary. Glad you are still with us.
tiburonsita is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #26
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Name: Katlyn

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Can Am Spyder PE #1344 / 2009 Kawi KLX140L Monster Energy / 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R (RIP 8.23.09)

So sorry to hear about your accident and so glad to hear that you are okay!! If you do decide to fix the bike up I have a brand new stock exhaust available for ya. Heal fast!

And yes, I-80 sucks. I've been on 80 between Chicago and where it ends in San Francisco.