ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old March 28th, 2017, 08:39 AM   #1
Irish Mayor
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Irish

Motorcycle(s): 300 ninja

Talking Handle bar end mirrors. Anyone have these??

I want to put a mirror on my handle bar end. I have a Joker brand that will fit a 7/8" tube. Has anyone done this to their 300 ninja? Looks like i will have to trim the grip also. ?
Another question: factory, what is on the handle bar end is it a type of weight or skid?
What about the wieght diff if i do install a mirror on the left and leave the right side factor.
Thanks for the input everyone.
Keep it greasy side down
Irish Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2017, 08:52 AM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Mayor View Post
I want to put a mirror on my handle bar end. I have a Joker brand that will fit a 7/8" tube. Has anyone done this to their 300 ninja?
On my pregen, I use the cheap ones from the far east on eBay that are like $14 a pair, and consider them disposable.

Quote:
Looks like i will have to trim the grip also. ?
Maybe. I was able to move my controls in about 3/8" to give room to clamp the mirrors on. I had to drill a little hole in the left bar for the pin of switch block to fit into.

Quote:
Another question: factory, what is on the handle bar end is it a type of weight or skid?
I guess it's both, but I consider it a slider, or as you said a "skid". It coexists with my mirrors just fine.

Quote:
What about the wieght diff if i do install a mirror on the left and leave the right side factor.
I doubt if it matters. If you take off the slider and find excessive vibration, you can put it back on.

Here are the cheapies I use:

Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2017, 09:19 AM   #3
CrazyCanuckGoat
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ZX12R (sold), 2012 250R, 1975 Honda XL250, 1980 XJ650

Just like Jim, I run the pictured Ebay cheap ones on all my bikes. I love them. I do NOT run barends and don't really notice any vibration difference. I also run Ebay/Chinese clip-ons flipped upwards.

One thing I love about barend mirrors, I can turn my bars at a stop to scan what is behind me should I hear a noise or whatnot.

I have run into the mirror coming lose from the arm as the 2 little set screws are under the glass....can't tighten them.

Just buy 2 sets, keep one as a spare....especially if you have a habit of dropping the bike.
CrazyCanuckGoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2017, 09:38 AM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuckGoat View Post
JI have run into the mirror coming lose from the arm as the 2 little set screws are under the glass....can't tighten them.
Ahh... warm the back of the mirror with a hair dryer or carefully with a heat gun. When it's pretty hot, you can carefully pry the glass mirror off with something like a thin piece of aluminum. Then you can remove the screws, put Loctite on them, and put them back in good and tight. The adhesive is still good, put the mirror back on and put several wooden spring type clothespins around it to clamp it in, and leave it overnight.

When I first install new ones, I put a drop of Loctite on the exposed ends of those screws and let it seep in. Sometimes that keeps them from getting loose.

Old March 28th, 2017, 08:25 PM   #5
CrazyCanuckGoat
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ZX12R (sold), 2012 250R, 1975 Honda XL250, 1980 XJ650

I only had it happen to one mirror out of 5 pairs. Did the heat trick, no go. Just chipped the mirror glass. It didn't even budge. Tossed it and put on a new one
CrazyCanuckGoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2017, 08:40 PM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Not a big deal at that price to chuck it. But also no harm in using more heat. I've taken several apart, and a couple had to get darned hot before they let go.

Old March 29th, 2017, 11:48 PM   #7
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

My primary concern with bar-end mirrors is that you have to shift your eyes further away from the road to see what's behind you while riding.

Old March 30th, 2017, 06:26 AM   #8
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

That's a valid concern. The stock mirrors on the fairing of my 250 when I got it were closer to where I'm looking when I ride than my current bar end mirrors. They were also so far forward that they didn't provide a very good view of what was behind me. The locations of the bar end mirrors I'm using now are not far from a traditional long-stalk type mirror, and although I have to look more to the side to see them, they give a much better rear view.

Just don't focus long in any mirror. I think I've mentioned my fairly bad crash early in my riding career, caused by looking in a mirror and not noticing a car stopped at a green light in front of me because an ambulance was crossing.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.