ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old March 22nd, 2017, 07:16 AM   #1
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Pennsylvania "Ride on Red" Law

http://fox43.com/2016/09/19/ride-on-...-pennsylvania/
http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...sInd=0&act=101

A new law which goes into effect today allows motorcyclists and cars to proceed through a red light if it's not working. I believe the relevant section of the legislation is copied below.

Full disclosure there is a light near my house that doesn't turn green. I thought this law was already in effect so I've just been going anyway.

Quote:
§ 3112. Traffic-control signals.
(c) Inoperable or malfunctioning signal.--If a traffic-control signal is out of operation or is not functioning properly, including, but not limited to, a signal that uses inductive loop sensors or other automated technology to detect the presence of vehicles that fails to detect a vehicle, vehicular traffic facing a:
(1) Green or yellow signal may proceed with caution as indicated in subsection (a)(1) and (2).
(2) Red or completely unlighted signal shall stop in the same manner as at a stop sign, and the right to proceed shall be subject to the rules applicable after making a stop at a stop sign as provided in section 3323 (relating to stop signs and yield signs).
§ 3116. Automated red light enforcement systems in first class cities.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old March 22nd, 2017, 07:52 AM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I guess the question becomes how one determines the signal isn't detecting the vehicle. I would expect a cop would want you to sit there long enough to know it's not going to change. Here in NC, they actually specify three minutes, but it's under the heading of a defense to a citation.

Quote:
(e) Defense. - It shall be a defense to a violation of sub-subdivision (b)(2)a. of this section if the operator of a motorcycle, as defined in G.S. 20-4.01(27)d., shows all of the following:

(1) The operator brought the motorcycle to a complete stop at the intersection or stop bar where a steady red light was being emitted in the direction of the operator.

(2) The intersection is controlled by a vehicle actuated traffic signal using an inductive loop to activate the traffic signal.

(3) No other vehicle that was entitled to have the right-of-way under applicable law was sitting at, traveling through, or approaching the intersection.

(4) No pedestrians were attempting to cross at or near the intersection.

(5) The motorcycle operator who received the citation waited a minimum of three minutes at the intersection or stop bar where the steady red light was being emitted in the direction of the operator before entering the intersection.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2017, 07:58 AM   #3
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
The only change I see from what it was is they explicitly say
Quote:
but not limited to, a signal that uses inductive loop sensors or other automated technology
. I think it is more of a clarification but people were already winning that argument in court. With the clarification it will not need to go to court.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2017, 08:01 AM   #4
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I guess the question becomes how one determines the signal isn't detecting the vehicle. I would expect a cop would want you to sit there long enough to know it's not going to change. Here in NC, they actually specify three minutes, but it's under the heading of a defense to a citation.
If you are a regular at a light and you know it will not work, you treat it like a stop sign. I have done it in front of cops a few times. York, PA has an HD factory here so the cops know.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2017, 08:11 AM   #5
Elongo06
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 300 Pearl Stardust White

They just passed this in Ohio this year as well.

There are 2 lights near me that refuse to change for my bike. Waiting for a left arrow I wait 5 minutes or 1 light cycle and then proceed when it's clear. You have the burden of proof it is malfunctioning which I run a go pro so no biggy there.

I just avoid those lights if possible now.
Elongo06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2017, 08:46 AM   #6
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

Oregon passed this type of law a couple years ago. If I recall correctly, you have to sit through one full cycle before proceeding through red. Of course, if the signals aren't going to cycle at all because they don't sense you sitting there, you'll be there all day. I like to assume that most cops would be reasonable about it and not stop you if you waited a decent amount of time.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2017, 10:30 AM   #7
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Sometimes your city/county will make the sensors more sensitive, and able to detect bikes better. Other times... this law will come in handy. I've run a few lights in this situation; even with two bikes, sometimes it won't detect us.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2017, 02:05 PM   #8
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
We've had it here in VA since 2011. But we have to wait 2 cycles of the light or 2 minutes whichever is shorter.

Quote:
B. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, if a driver of a motorcycle or moped or a bicycle rider approaches an intersection that is controlled by a traffic light, the driver or rider may proceed through the intersection on a steady red light only if the driver or rider (i) comes to a full and complete stop at the intersection for two complete cycles of the traffic light or for two minutes, whichever is shorter, (ii) exercises due care as provided by law, (iii) otherwise treats the traffic control device as a stop sign, (iv) determines that it is safe to proceed, and (v) yields the right of way to the driver of any vehicle approaching on such other highway from either direction. 
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote