ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 30th, 2017, 10:41 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[motorcycle.com] - Poll: KTM 1090 Adventure R or Honda Africa Twin

When it comes to the Adventure scene, there’s a strong case to be made that nobody does it better than KTM. Take the 1090 Adventure R for example. Tom Roderick just came back from its launch, and in his First Ride Review, he gushes about how easy the bike is to ride both on- and off-road, thanks to its reduced weight compared to the previous 1190 Adventure, and despite carrying a powerful 1050cc V-Twin between its trellis frame, the KTM is able to dole out*manageable off-road power thanks to*its dirt riding mode.

Then again, Tom also came back from the Honda Africa Twin launch pretty impressed with its on- and off-road abilities, too. Granted, it was the DCT version that really enamored him, but the standard transmission version is a more than capable machine to tackle nearly any terrain.

Tom posed this question in his KTM review, so of course we asked ourselves:*Which of these two is the better bike? The KTM or Honda (standard transmission in this case)? On paper, the 1090 Adventure R would appear to have the advantage: Bigger engine (1050cc vs. 998cc), more power, Brembo brakes, larger fuel tank (6.5 gallons vs. 4.96 gallons) and that unmistakable KTM off-road prowess.

But the Africa Twin costs significantly less ($13,299 for the standard transmission vs. $14,699), has more suspension travel (9.1-inch front/8.7-inch rear*vs. 8.6 inches front and rear), lower seat height, and of course the optional DCT. Both have riding modes, ABS, and traction control.

Debating on specs will only get you so far. While there’s no doubt the KTM is a good motorcycle, the Africa Twin can likely traverse equally gnarly terrain. We can’t wait to ride them both back-to-back to decide a winner once and for all, but until then we leave you with this question:

Poll: KTM 1090 Adventure R or Honda Africa Twin appeared first on Motorcycle.com.

Click here for full story...

Old March 31st, 2017, 06:14 AM   #2
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Less than 100 votes, but 69% Honda?

The Africa Twin hasn't been out that long. Is it just Honda's legendary reliability people are voting for?
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2017, 08:37 AM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I can't figure out why anyone would want a 500 lb offroad motorcycle.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2017, 11:39 PM   #4
corksil

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Asinine, if you ask me. My DR650 is a pretty capable machine on tarmac with street tires.

If I put knobby tires on it and try to take it for a trail ride, things usually do not turn out well.

Old April 3rd, 2017, 08:09 AM   #5
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Same reason people drive around in trucks with 12" lift kits that never leave the pavement. Because someone won a Paris-Dakar on one a couple decades ago.

I've test ridden several adventure bikes. They are very comfortable to ride, have lots of storage space and make great touring bikes. I wouldn't mind owning one, but, I don't think I would take one down more than a gravel road.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote