ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 11th, 2009, 06:40 AM   #1
elude
ninjette.org newbie

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R

Xena Alarms

If you have a xena alarm for 08 or 09 250R, which one did you get? I just want to make sure I get the right one that fits properly. There are so many models. I went on the website but it does not list our bike so I printed off the pdf document for measuring but it is hard to see.

It seems like there are a few that will fit. I'm leaning toward xx14 (fits around disc) or xzz6 (fits in hole of disc).

Any good deals for this in Toronto?

I saw the other posts on the alarm but no one is responding.

Thanks for your help.
elude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

There's nothing too unique about our front disks, just about any disk lock will work fine, including just about all of the Xena line. If you think it looks like it will work, it will.

I have a Xena (not sure which model, it's yellow if it helps), and the battery life on the alarm is pretty pisspoor. The batteries will drain completely in only 2-3 weeks of use. You can get bulk hearing aid batteries to replace them, but it's such a pain in the neck that I rarely use it.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #3
richierich781
Future Hall of Famer

Name: rich

Motorcycle(s): 2010 yamaha fz6r raven

I got the xr1 model. Battery is pain in the neck. I use mine in the rear disc. Fits perfectly. Don't forget a bright color reminder cord.
Posted via Mobile Device
richierich781 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #4
elude
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks for the posts guys. Anyone have xx14? Sounds like the battery dies quickly. So if the battery runs out while you're out then you can't unarm the alarm?!

Old May 11th, 2009, 04:32 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

No, the keys will unlock/lock the disk lock at any time; that has nothing to do with the alarm in the device. When the batteries run out, the alarm just doesn't go off anymore, and the end result is the buyer spent 3 times the price of a standard disk lock with no real benefit anymore.

I'm not much of a fan of disk locks anymore anyway. They basically keep the honest folks honest. Any pro (or even semi-pro) who wants your bike will have a friend or two along to throw your bike in the back of a van in < 10 seconds and the bike is gone with or without the disk lock. If you want to lock up the bike, make sure it is physically locked to something solid with a chain that is somewhat resistant to cutting (though decent bolt-cutters will get through almost any consumer chain anyway). IMHO it's a better use of $ to take whatever one would spend on locks and aim it toward appropriate comprehensive insurance coverage.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old May 11th, 2009, 04:36 PM   #6
elude
ninjette.org newbie

I see what you mean. So would you still recommend buying this product?

Old May 11th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I wouldn't. I don't use it on my streetbikes and don't see it as a real benefit, as I put into my post right above. I do take it with me for trackdays, where I park the trailer right outside my hotel room (hopefully 30 feet or less). My wife laughs at me, because I sleep with the window wide open, even if it's chilly, so I would hear that Xena alarm if someone does start to monkey with the bike on the trailer. I put in new batteries before the trackday season, and only enable it for that one purpose.

Before doing this, I did find evidence that someone had tried to cut off the locks on our trailer, and there are a number of folks with sob stories about their bikes being stolen from hotel parking lots near track events.

Old May 11th, 2009, 05:08 PM   #8
richierich781
Future Hall of Famer

Like alex said anyone can steal your bike no matter what precaution u take. Having ur bike locked up, just separates the joy riders from the real thieves. the only time I used the xena lock is when I go to work and it is in tandem with a chain hooked up to something immovable. All u these things really do is make theives think twice and move on to an easier target.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 11th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #9
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Threadjack

Hey do any of you guys run into the problem of the alarm going off for no reason when you put it on the rear disc?

I find that whenever i put my freakin Xena on the rear disc, the alarm seems to just go off for whatever reason. What am I doing wrong here? I think its because the sensor doesn't detect the metal disc, but I'm not sure. I just want to see if theres a consensus on the matter.

/Threadjack
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #10
richierich781
Future Hall of Famer

I haven't had a problem with mine going off and I use it on the rear disc brake. What model do you have? I've heard of some models going off for no reason but not totally sure. Well it can be real sensitive, some people have said a slight breeze can set it off and vibrations from other vehicle could also set it off.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 11th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I think that it is a little too sensitive. When I arm it, I lock the thing and push it all the way down so it can't move any more. If it can move the slightest bit, the alarm will go off, and yes, even wind seems to be able to do it. Not sure what would be different between the front disk and rear disk; there still should be a disk sensed by the Xena when it clamps on, right?

Old May 11th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #12
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Well, you can never have too much security. Yes, I agree that full insurance coverage is best... but using a disc lock in addition to other measures is a good idea. A chain might be better, but when you're touring on the open road, lugging around a heavy chain with lock and hoping that you have something to chain the bike to is not a good option.

Old May 11th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #13
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I think that it is a little too sensitive. When I arm it, I lock the thing and push it all the way down so it can't move any more. If it can move the slightest bit, the alarm will go off, and yes, even wind seems to be able to do it. Not sure what would be different between the front disk and rear disk; there still should be a disk sensed by the Xena when it clamps on, right?
Yea I think you and Rich are right....i practically have to tip toe away from mine

It's actually kinda annoying hahaha....I wish this thing came with a remote or something.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2009, 02:50 AM   #14
hzrnbgy
ninjette.org member

Name: HzrnBgy

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Black Ninja 250R, 2004 Yellow Ninja 250R

mine goes off randomly too whenever i engage it with the rear brake. it has something to do with the distance between the hole where the lock engages and the sensor. The slightest breeze can set it off. Try to position it where the lock wouldnt move unless the bike is moved (i.e. not hanging from the brake)
hzrnbgy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #15
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

im looking to get teh xx14 but idk after reading this thread. i need some type of security but i have nothing to lock my bike to