ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 25th, 2010, 09:52 AM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Cheap place for a loose tire mounting in San Diego? Clear coat/dent repair?

So, my tires got damaged and my rim dented, again.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=58728

*sigh*

In addition, there is a gash on the other rim right down to the metal, though it doesn't look like it will affect the tire any. Both tires have damage from the object.

Short-term, I need to get tires mounted because it is my primary transportation. It's time for the second valve service but I can't afford that. I'm on my way to buy a $25 front stand from Harbor Freight. I returned my last one because a front wheel was attached crooked. I already have rim protectors, a bead-breaker, and tire spoons, so I may try to get it off myself, but I still want it balanced with stems, inspected, and what-not.

So, if it isn't clear already, I'm looking for some place *really* cheap. SD has tons of little indie motorcycle shops thanks to the glorious weather (ignoring today's unfortunate rain). This forums has tons of SD users for the same reason (motorcycling is really popular here). Because all my experience has been with expensive dealers, I'm hoping someone here can point me to the cheapest place to get a loose mount or at least a good place that is worth the money. If I have to spend a bit more, is there a place that could, maybe, straighten my slightly dented rim? It's not nearly as bad as the last one that needed replacement so I think it's purely cosmetic. Speaking of cosmetic, I'm not too worried about the notch in the front rim, but should they put a bit of clear coat over it? It cut into the lip and took out a chunk of metal and paint.

Remember, I'm trying to save for a full valve service. I planned to have them changed then to save on labor costs but it didn't work out that way thanks to this unfortunate encounter. My rear tire was getting really bald anyway.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2010, 11:56 AM   #2
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Cycle gear can mount new tires if you bring them the wheel off the bike for $20/tire. I've gone to C&D and they mount for $35/tire but you can bring your bike and they'll remove everything for you. Most other places I've seen are around $50/tire.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...?ZipCode=92109

Since it's your only transportation, let me know if you need a ride if you want to do the cycle gear route. I need an excuse to drive my car or the battery will die...
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2010, 09:58 AM   #3
Postman
ninjette.org member

Name: CJ

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r, 09 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
Cycle gear can mount new tires if you bring them the wheel off the bike for $20/tire. I've gone to C&D and they mount for $35/tire but you can bring your bike and they'll remove everything for you. Most other places I've seen are around $50/tire.

Since it's your only transportation, let me know if you need a ride if you want to do the cycle gear route. I need an excuse to drive my car or the battery will die...
I was told last time I was in the CG on Convoy that it's $20/tire(+fees, valve stems, etc) if you buy your tires there otherwise it's $30/tire.

Only other place I've asked was House of Motorcycles and I didn't bother remembering how much they charged.

I heard Lee's does real good work so I'd probably check with them.

Anybody in SD have a tire changer and balancer to use in exchange for cash or a 6-pack? I'd totally invest in one if I didn't move so much
Postman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2010, 08:30 PM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:

Nah. Thanks though. I just needed to have it done by tonight because I have a graveyard shift and can't borrow my sister's car (she needs it in the morning). I was able to drive it around for stuff yesterday and today. Even so, I ran out of time and worked after sunset and that's AFTER getting it mounted at FBC (I tried to do it myself and gave up after cutting my face open) and saving the brakes for later (I bought replacements because my rears are GONE!).

Quote:

I called and they told me $30 for a loose mount of self-supplied tires. Probably because they know I do the valve stem and all that.

Though typically the most expensive Kawi place, Fun Bike Center, actually seemed to have the better deal at $20 per tire. I was hoping to find a small indie shop for $10-15 though, but that's close enough and I was pressed for time.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote