Name: Melissa

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0kediver View Post
What do y'all think about these?

http://www.cyclegraphics.net/productpages.shtml

Looks like lots of companies make them.

Any experience? Are they bad for paint?
I make vinyl graphics for a living (not specifically for bikes, but truck fleets, EMS vehicles etc). The vinyl will not damage the paint, but you've got to keep an eye on any fading paint... the paint under the decal will not be exposed to sun like the rest of the paint, so when removed, you may still be able to see where the decal once was depending on the quality of the paint. Generally the only people who experience this problem are those with a cheap paint job and have had the graphics on for 5+ years in the sun.

It can also be a PITA to remove the graphics if you ever want them off. Not terribly difficult, just time consuming based on the quality of the material and how long it's been on. In our shop we use something called a Crud Thug which is like a giant eraser wheel that shreds the graphics off... makes it go a lot quicker!

Overall I'd say if ya see something you like go ahead and try it! Vinyl graphics add personalization to any bike and give it a custom look at a low cost.
z28melissa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #3
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

Name: Jody

Motorcycle(s): EX250J9

Wow. A professional opinion. Thanks
sm0kediver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2009, 05:53 PM   #4
tlhamon
ninjette.org member

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

That and your ninja is all plastic (except for the tank), no paint. It's dyed into the plastic so finish isn't an issue and fading would take a long time and only if your bike sits in the sun all of the time.

Old March 29th, 2009, 06:52 PM   #5
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

+1 to what Melissa said. I work a sign shop and have done a few bikes, ranging from replacing a guys "Ninja" decals to plastering a gsxr with sponsor stickers. If you order decals online they will generally be cheaper than getting custom stuff done.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2009, 03:41 PM   #6
dyeclan
Scooter Trash No0b

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): 08 EX250R 'Gears of War' Theme Bike, ZG DB screen, cowl, progrips.

FWIW, I am having a local guy do custom graphics for me right now. Pretty big stuff, all custom, and he's charging me $75 installed, and coming to my garage to do it. Call around, there are graphics shops everywhere, and now that everything is computerized, there's not much you can't have done.
dyeclan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2009, 04:02 PM   #7
kkim

Frank,

Please be sure to post some pics once your bike is completed.

I have many ideas, but no talent.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2009, 06:39 PM   #8
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

+1 on the pics Frank. I for one am very interested in seeing what $75 gets you in your neck of the woods, just for comparision purposes. Heck, I may be charging too much for all I know.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2009, 07:03 AM   #9
Buffalony

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhamon View Post
That and your ninja is all plastic (except for the tank), no paint. It's dyed into the plastic so finish isn't an issue and fading would take a long time and only if your bike sits in the sun all of the time.
It's dyed into the plastic? What does that mean?

Old April 3rd, 2009, 01:19 PM   #10
kkim

um... yeah. the plastics are definitely painted.

Old April 3rd, 2009, 06:11 PM   #11
dyeclan
Scooter Trash No0b

Motorcycle(s): 08 EX250R 'Gears of War' Theme Bike, ZG DB screen, cowl, progrips.

Ok, here's the concept. It came from a couple of ideas, one being the bike I fell in love with but knew I had no business on as a newb, the Honda 600RR. Last year they had a black/gray edition that had kind of an industrial graffiti vibe to it, one of the major elements was a big gear. Well, being that my bike is red, and I really wanted black, and I'm a gamer, the different items played into this scheme. The actual graphics will be installed on Tuesday, and we're doing the paint on the fender and tail next weekend. I'll post pics in my own thread once we get started. I provided the guy with Adobe Illustrator files of my lettering and the graphic (you can find almost anything online if you look), sent it to him for a quote, and here we go. Let me know what you think, and KKim, since I owe you one, give me your theme, and I'll do some designs for you.

Old April 3rd, 2009, 06:56 PM   #12
z28melissa
ninjette.org member

Name: Melissa

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
um... yeah. the plastics are definitely painted.
Really? My plastic appears to be dyed completely through, as well as most atv plastics I've sticker'd up. A have a different bike though...
z28melissa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2009, 07:01 PM   #13
kkim

plastic on my 250R is painted, I can tell you that. The plastic on my dirt bike is molded from colored plastic.

Old April 3rd, 2009, 07:08 PM   #14
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Mine is painted. Actually it's painted in some rather freakin expensive paint if you go to buy it.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2009, 07:10 PM   #15
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28melissa View Post
Really? My plastic appears to be dyed completely through, as well as most atv plastics I've sticker'd up. A have a different bike though...
what color is your bike?? black, I bet.

Old April 4th, 2009, 05:01 AM   #16
Buffalony

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28melissa View Post
Yeah I really thought this too. Until I wiped out last month. They are painted really really well. I actually assumed It was green plastic when I got my cowl cause it really looked like it was green plastic. Hitting the pavement, it scared black! MY Poor Poor Baby

Moneys Green, Its not something you can leave on the street! It disappears too fast.
Feel free to rephrase

Old April 4th, 2009, 05:25 AM   #17
Buffalony

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyeclan View Post
Ok, here's the concept. It came from a couple of ideas, one being the bike I fell in love with but knew I had no business on as a newb, the Honda 600RR. Last year they had a black/gray edition that had kind of an industrial graffiti vibe to it, one of the major elements was a big gear. Well, being that my bike is red, and I really wanted black, and I'm a gamer, the different items played into this scheme. The actual graphics will be installed on Tuesday, and we're doing the paint on the fender and tail next weekend. I'll post pics in my own thread once we get started. I provided the guy with Adobe Illustrator files of my lettering and the graphic (you can find almost anything online if you look), sent it to him for a quote, and here we go. Let me know what you think, and KKim, since I owe you one, give me your theme, and I'll do some designs for you.

IMO....I think it sucks. Cause 360 Sucks. And Im gonna PS3 theme my bike to top yours. Even though my bikes green just like the 360!.... Just kidding.

However I do think it needs to be alittle more well rounded.

My ideas (very narrowly):
Let the left side of the gear get cut off and bring the right side of the gear closer to the front edge of the fairing.(remember your pic is pretty 2d and theres a few more inches to the front of the fairing left out.)

You need to bring some of that red into the black. ie: a red gear and scull icon on the front fender+ maybe some red writing in the same font on the tail section. maybe leading down from the taillight to the hanger saying something like "The Gears Turn" or "Fenix" on one side "Santiago" on the other...
Or "Whats Up B!tches" maybe "Fear No Locust"... u get the point.
Vinyl could be more cost efficient here.

Maybe bring in a tad more white to compliment the white font on the bottom. not much if any though

Bullet holes???

How about painting those black frame caps red??? Nobody around here has done that yet.
And/Or other bolts painted red or black.

Bullet Casing Valve Stem caps!!!

This theme seems perfect for windshield spikes..(PM me I'll give a link to the best I've found)

I can go for hours on theming a bike.

Gold or brass anodized parts could fit in this scheme well..

Fake scratches/Tears!!

Tint that headlight!!

etc'etc'etc

If you want more Ideas PM me I have more

Old April 4th, 2009, 06:02 AM   #18
dyeclan
Scooter Trash No0b

{hijack}Ha, PS3 is great if you want an overpriced brick. Actually I was already planning on some vinyl on the tail, something in that old script you see in the game that says something cryptic like 'Remember Jacinto', or 'The boogeymen were real..." Not sure yet. But this is just a start. As far as the placement of the cog, that won't be final til we're sliding it around, like you said, theres lots of curves and vents to deal with. Lemme think on it, I'll hit you up on some of those links! {/hijack}

Old April 4th, 2009, 06:04 AM   #19
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

The black fender and rear looks nice, but that ginormous, shiny-ass pipe ruins it in my opinion, should black that out to match the black on the bike.

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2009, 06:16 AM   #20
Buffalony

Quote:
{hijack}Ha, PS3 is great if you want an overpriced brick. Actually I was already planning on some vinyl on the tail, something in that old script you see in the game that says something cryptic like 'Remember Jacinto', or 'The boogeymen were real..." Not sure yet. But this is just a start. As far as the placement of the cog, that won't be final til we're sliding it around, like you said, theres lots of curves and vents to deal with. Lemme think on it, I'll hit you up on some of those links! {/hijack}
Xbox 360 is for the kids.LOL $$payment for online subscription, $100 internet adapter, $200.00 worthless HD-DVD player, HUGE POWER BRICK ADAPTER, Red ring of death, Non-1080p gaming.....Who has an expensive brick? lol

Sure hit me up

Old April 4th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #21
dyeclan
Scooter Trash No0b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalony View Post
Xbox 360 is for the kids.LOL $$payment for online subscription, $100 internet adapter, $200.00 worthless HD-DVD player, HUGE POWER BRICK ADAPTER, Red ring of death, Non-1080p gaming.....Who has an expensive brick? lol

Sure hit me up
Watch at your own risk!
Sony's Latest Release

As far as that pipe goes, I agree. I didn't do anything with that graphic other than overlay the vinyl. I'd rather spend my time on the bike than on the computer!

Old April 4th, 2009, 05:03 PM   #22
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

Quote:
Watch at your own risk!
Sony's Latest Release
[hijack] in with buffalony. That video's probably just Microsoft's expensive attempt to counter their latest batch of red rings... or was it their failed attempt to make a high definition media? or maybe to confuse people into thinking that buying the xbox and upgrading it to the same level as a ps3 is less expensive? I don't know, but I'm happy with my rechargeable controllers, no annual fee, and 1080p bluray player [/hijack]

back on topic, the vinyl idea looks good! Should be sweet
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #23
dyeclan
Scooter Trash No0b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemy View Post
[hijack] in with buffalony. That video's probably just Microsoft's expensive attempt to counter their latest batch of red rings... or was it their failed attempt to make a high definition media? or maybe to confuse people into thinking that buying the xbox and upgrading it to the same level as a ps3 is less expensive? I don't know, but I'm happy with my rechargeable controllers, no annual fee, and 1080p bluray player [/hijack]

back on topic, the vinyl idea looks good! Should be sweet
Just for you guys
2010 Sony Ninja 250R

Old April 4th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #24
Buffalony

Quote:
Watch at your own risk!
Sony's Latest Release

As far as that pipe goes, I agree. I didn't do anything with that graphic other than overlay the vinyl. I'd rather spend my time on the bike than on the computer!
video was hilarious

Old April 4th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #25
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

Quote:
Just for you guys
2010 Sony Ninja 250R
lol that was cool
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote