ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 10th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #1
fujimumu
ninjette.org member

Name: Kensai

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2009 Ninja 250R

Engine Won't Rev Past 12k

So my 2009 250r has about 3200 miles on it and now I'm experiencing something troubling. The bike runs fine in the lower RPMs, but when it gets to about 9-11k it seems to have trouble accelerating and will not go above 12k.

Admittedly I do ride the bike fairly hard (probably excessively hard). I accelerate to redline regularly just for the hell of it (through 1st, 2nd and 3rd).

The only thing I can think of that seems like it may have caused trouble happened about a week ago. I was accelerating hard to merge onto a highway and after shifting into second and continuing to accelerate the transmission managed to drop back down to neutral (this has happened more than once but I think this time was the worst), and the engine overreved to about 14k. It was only up there for a second, but I can't really be sure because I wasn't staring at the tach.

Could there be any permanent engine damage as a result of this? Is this why the engine doesn't rev up properly?

I know riding like that is extremely stupid and should be reserved for the track, but what's done is done and now I need help!
fujimumu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2010, 10:14 PM   #2
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Name: Duckman

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, '06 Chopper, '80 Puch Magnum II, '01 SV650, '99 CR250/CR500AF Sportbike. '02 CRF450/CR500AF Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujimumu View Post
So my 2009 250r has about 3200 miles on it and now I'm experiencing something troubling. The bike runs fine in the lower RPMs, but when it gets to about 9-11k it seems to have trouble accelerating and will not go above 12k.

Admittedly I do ride the bike fairly hard (probably excessively hard). I accelerate to redline regularly just for the hell of it (through 1st, 2nd and 3rd).

The only thing I can think of that seems like it may have caused trouble happened about a week ago. I was accelerating hard to merge onto a highway and after shifting into second and continuing to accelerate the transmission managed to drop back down to neutral (this has happened more than once but I think this time was the worst), and the engine overreved to about 14k. It was only up there for a second, but I can't really be sure because I wasn't staring at the tach.

Could there be any permanent engine damage as a result of this? Is this why the engine doesn't rev up properly?

I know riding like that is extremely stupid and should be reserved for the track, but what's done is done and now I need help!
Revving to 14k in neutral shouldn't kill it.... there is a rev-limiter there to stop anything from flying apart. I think it should have stopped revving at 13,500, though.

But if you dropped it into first when you were already redlining second... big problems could result. If the tach managed to swing the needle quickly enough to where it was really revving so you did indeed only do 14k. There is a possibility that you may have revved beyond 14k and the needle action only visually swung it as high as 14k. I've accidentally done that before on another bike when I was new. The engine was ruined, it dropped a valve, and the piston smashed it through the head. The bike didn't run right at any RPM at all. Major repairs were necessary!

From what I've read the Ninja 250 valve train can handle 14,500RPMs before problems occur.

If its running fine at lower RPMs you might have another problem. I think something like a bent valve would probably be much more obvious at lower RPMs as thats where good compression is more important.

Are there any unusual noises? Vibrations? Smoking? How much have you run it since then?

I'm having some power loss issues around 10k and up, mine seems to be electrical though. My last dyno shows the engine's power dropping out at very specific RPMs repeatedly. When it gets up near redline the power magically comes back. Strange stuff.
TheDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #3
fujimumu
ninjette.org member

Nothing sounds or seems unusual until its up around 9-11k, no smoke, no funny vibrations or noises. I have been riding to to school for the past few days, not nearly as abusively as I usually do. It feels sort of laggy and struggles in the 9-11k range and will not go past 12k at all.

Old May 11th, 2010, 08:39 PM   #4
kkim

If you can, have a compression and/or a leakdown test done on the bike to check for bent/broken valves.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #5
fujimumu
ninjette.org member

Dropped her off at the dealer today, they couldn't do anything but take it for a ride to confirm the problem. I guess they are really busy with everyone getting their bikes out for spring time. Should hear from them on Tuesday with a diagnosis.

Old May 19th, 2010, 02:46 PM   #6
fujimumu
ninjette.org member

She's fixed!! Turns out it had nothing to do with the accidental overreving. The guys at the dealer took it for a ride and confirmed my problem, then after checking it out they couldn't find anything wrong that would cause such a problem.

After further examination they found that the screw on the positive end of the battery terminal had come loose. oopsie

My dad and I had installed a cigarette lighter type adapter and battery charger that are threaded through to be accessible from the rear seat. The extra stuff under the screw meant the screw wouldn't go in as far is it should and this caused it to loosen over the months of vibration.

Anyway she is back in working order with no problems! Whew!

Old May 19th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #7
kkim

Glad to hear you found the problem and the bike is back up and running 100%.

Ride safe, have fun.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #8
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

My brother has an '01 that he claims cannot accelerate the RPMs past 11,000 in fourth gear on - wonder if this could be the problem?
Any other suggestions on possible culprits?
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2010, 03:35 PM   #9
fujimumu
ninjette.org member

It's always good to check the power source first when trouble shooting. Only reason my dad and I didn't look into it and find the problem ourselves was that I thought it might have been an engine issue and the bike is still under warranty.

Make sure he checks the battery and connectors to make sure its not something silly like this was. (Hopefully it is, though)