ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 26th, 2011, 09:19 AM   #1
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): EX250J

The things that divide the sport

So I'm beginning to see some of the divisions in the sport now. At first it was all cool, but I've run into some confusion lately. I did a quick search and turned this site up:

http://www.viewfromthecloud.com/2006...greetings.html

It's pretty funny because it seems to hold fairly true in my neck of the woods. I used to greet every motorcycle, but after being ignored by so many cruisers I've given up. Cruisers are by far the most popular bike in this area. I see the occasional sport bike, but the ratio has to be like 20:1.

Sport bikes are quick to greet, usually beating me to the punch, especially because they usually have ATG on. If they have ATG on or even Some of the gear, I've never had anyone on another sportbike refuse a greeting because we were on different brands of bike. Squids ignore me or rev their engines at stop lights.

It's one thing to read about it, but something else to experience for yourself.

Are there any other factors that affect the social morays of riding?
Liber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #2
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

In my neck of the woods, theres not a WHOLE lotta sportbikes, more harleys then cruisers. Its really about an even percentage that I get a wave. I'd say about 70-75%. I ALWAYS wave (if I can) even to scooters, pedestrians out working, or bicyclists. I just wanna be friendly and say Hey, if they're in their own world, being a snob, or their bikes vibrate so much they cant remove their hands then thats fine as well. Times are a chancing boys!
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 10:18 AM   #3
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

I don't personally believe in any social mores involving true motorcyclists. Maybe within the gangs there are (were). I sort of nod or wave or let my PIAA horns burp to one and all, even scooters and workers checking me out. Your right about the "no return" policy of so many riders, I think it's their ego due to being on a harley or mv augusta or the like, i mean we know it's not us. Just love it either way, which i'm sure we both do.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 10:20 AM   #4
Murtasma
2 Wheels 4 Life

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Pretty much on board with Lucas. I always wave when I'm able to and notice another rider. I could care less if the other person waves back; more often then not most people wave back. I think the ones who don't probably didn't notice or was occupied with something else. There have been times when someone waved to me but I didn't catch them in time.

I've even had people in hot rods wave to me. When I'm riding my car I wave to motorcyclists but they can't see my hand inside the car so I have to stick my whole body out of the drivers side window while I stick the car in cruise control. I wave both arms wildly in the air when I do this and scream. They always seem to slow down like there is a cop around the corner.
Murtasma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #5
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Mostly Harleys here. 90% of them wave.
Everyone on 2 wheels is pretty cool here in the midwest.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #6
kkim

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51496&
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 10:57 AM   #7
clintalmighty
ninjette.org member

Name: Clint

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r 2009 Honda CBR600RR

I did "the geek" wave to a Harley rider when i first got my bike. I was so excited .

Now I just wave to sport/standard riders who are wearing gear; I will only wave to helmet-less posers on Harleys if they wave first. Most of them (around here) are pricks anyway, and we ride for completely opposite reasons.
clintalmighty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 01:25 PM   #8
miss_syn
my hair matches my bike

Name: Tiffany

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red 250r

People around here seem pretty friendly and I feel bad because I'm not confident enough to take my hand off the handle bar yet.
miss_syn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 01:32 PM   #9
Mizono
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red Ninja 250R

I make every effort to wave to anyone regardless of bike. For me personally riding a motorcycle is a club and brotherhood period. Now i have had a few not wave back but the majority have returned the favor. I don't take it personally. I mean who knows they may have genuinely not seen me or weren't able to let go at the moment. Ive had a few cruisers talk to me at stop lights before.
Mizono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 01:44 PM   #10
kkim

I wave pretty much at any motorcycle. if they don't wave back, I look at it as their loss... not mine.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #11
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2010 MIB Ninja 250R [sold]; 2006 CBR600RR [sold]; 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

I'm with Mizono. I pretty much wave at everyone if possible and most of the time I get a wave back. I usually end up being the one to wave first I've noticed. The only common group of riders I see that typically don't wave back are younger guys on cruisers or HDs, beyond that then it's the old guys on the Goldwings who I think just don't see me or just don't care. Not sure about other parts of the country but our "wave" is pretty subtle around here, pretty much just stickin' your hand down and out to the side. There's been a few times I've gotten the wave and just didn't notice it until they were already past me.
reaubideux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #12
thurt88
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CRF250L, 2010 ninja 250r

I usually wave if I can or see someone. Im guilty of riding 50% squid as well. I do wear a jacket, gloves and helmet tho.
thurt88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 03:00 PM   #13
Green Streak
Ninjette Owner

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, a puddle of Ninja ZX6

I wave at every motorcycle I come across. Most return the wave. Sometimes I don't get one back(most times it is Harley rider), but I don't take it personal. Maybe they didn't see me, maybe they aren't comfortable taking their hands off the grips, maybe they are new and still thinking like a cager, maybe they just waved at a sportbike and didn't get a return wave or had a bad day, or whatever. But I personally like the tradition/practice and will continue to perpetuate it.

Old May 26th, 2011, 03:47 PM   #14
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Two wheels and a motor and ill wave, Some wave back some dont, If a cruiser doesn't wave back i don't assume its because he hates sport bikes could be he was concentration on riding, If a sport bike rider doesn't wave its not because he is a squid or thinks he is better then me, he may be more focused on traffic or just enjoying his ride.

Last futzed with by Havok; May 26th, 2011 at 03:57 PM. Reason: posted wrong response lol sorry :P
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 03:56 PM   #15
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
if i'm checking a bike out (as in- i'm not in traffic, or its on the other side of the road with good visibility) my hand goes out without me noticing. around here there are lots of seasonal "weekend warriors"... typically they don't wave, are wearing minimal gear, and aren't very good at riding bikes. you can tell the difference between the occasional riders and those who ride just to ride. people who ride just for the ride are checking out other bikes because they like them, not because they think they make the person riding them look cool.
any time i see a biker riding without a helmet, i have a very special hand signal for them. (giving all of us a bad name by breaking such an obvious law)

Old May 26th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #16
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
if i'm checking a bike out (as in- i'm not in traffic, or its on the other side of the road with good visibility) my hand goes out without me noticing. around here there are lots of seasonal "weekend warriors"... typically they don't wave, are wearing minimal gear, and aren't very good at riding bikes. you can tell the difference between the occasional riders and those who ride just to ride. people who ride just for the ride are checking out other bikes because they like them, not because they think they make the person riding them look cool.
any time i see a biker riding without a helmet, i have a very special hand signal for them. (giving all of us a bad name by breaking such an obvious law)
You ride EVE, How the hell can people not wave!
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 09:11 AM   #17
aldenso
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): Red 2010 250r

I too wave to everyone, and in 2 months of waving only one person didn't wave back.

Funny story though, I was flying down a back road that was hilly but straight. It felt like I was on a roller coaster and was amazing (I'm sure many of you know the feeling). When I get about 300 metres from the end of the road I see a guy on a cruiser turning around to go for another run at it. He only had a helmet on, cut off sleeves and jeans. Must have been about 60 years old with grey hair and a grey mustache. He had the BIGGEST smile on his face and have me a HUGE wave like saying "isn't this the best thing in the world?" I returned with an equally massive wave. Put me in such a good mood knowing that I'll be enjoying bikes well into my old age just like him.
aldenso is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #18
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

I wave to everyone as long as I see them in time. I haven't received a wave back from just about every kind of bike, whether it be an enduro, cruiser, sportbike, w/e. Generally I get a wave back, I'd say that maybe 2-3 out of every 10 don't wave back but that's also normally when I'm in town, so traffic, low speed, etc probably factor into the "I would wave but can't safely take my hand off the bar" syndrome. Some people are even kind enough to give the nod when it's unsafe to give a wave. I'm not going to lie; the first bike I waved to was a harley rider and I gave just about the geekiest wave I could with the biggest smile on my face. What a great day

Old May 27th, 2011, 10:12 AM   #19
noobie
ninjette.org member

Name: me

Motorcycle(s): 250r

My first time riding, I passed another green kawi. I noticed he waved to me, but I didn't wave back...The next bike I passed waved at me too, this time i realized that it must be some sort of tradition to wave to other bikers to show support or what you want to call it, so I waved back and have waved to every other biker out there since. So if you were that guy in that green kawi(zx6r), I wasn't being rude, I just didn't know.
noobie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #20
Reddoak
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r - Traded for 2009 ER-6N

I wave to just about every other bike I see, with a few exceptions:

1. I can't wave without risking life and limb. If I'm busy manuevering or braking... I'll nod if I can, or just ride on if I can't.
2. They have flip flops on. **** 'em. Morons. Sneakers? Fine, whatever. But flip flops? Really?
3. I'm at a biker rally such as Daytona Bike week, or Leesburg bike fest. Sometimes, it's just not practical.

I've been waved at by everything on two wheels (and occasionally three.) I've also been ignored by the same. Lots of bikes here year round. I'll wave at anything, and really don't mind if they don't wave back. Mostly, cruisers and cops don't wave back.

I figure the wave has got two reasons:

1. We're all on two wheels. There's a common ground.
2. It keeps me mentally active. I know I'm not paying attention when a biker waves before I've spotted them.

Funny thing, I get the same thing driving a Subaru. So no matter what I'm in or on, I wind up waving at other people.

Old May 27th, 2011, 11:14 PM   #21
Sinister
nub

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): '08 zx-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddoak View Post

Funny thing, I get the same thing driving a Subaru. So no matter what I'm in or on, I wind up waving at other people.

Ever since i got my sti i've noticed that i get almost as many scooby waves as bike waves.
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2011, 09:19 AM   #22
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaubideux View Post
Not sure about other parts of the country but our "wave" is pretty subtle around here, pretty much just stickin' your hand down and out to the side. There's been a few times I've gotten the wave and just didn't notice it until they were already past me.
That's usually how it works where I am as well. Two finger salute, low and off to the side. Sometimes you get the wave back, sometimes you don't. Same thing with boaters out on the water I find, although they tend to "notice" each other a bit more as it's not as busy.

Little kids though will waive at you all the time from their back seat when you're sitting there at lights and even from the side walk when you ride pass. A motorcycle is the coolest thing to them I waive back and give them a rev or two for their kicks.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2011, 08:49 PM   #23
BISH
ninjette.org member

Name: BISH

Motorcycle(s): 2010 NINJA

Its all head nods this side of the pond!
BISH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2011, 09:29 PM   #24
KELPHYN
ninjette.org guru

Name: Calvin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), 2013 300SE

I wave to everyone. ESPECIALLY CRUISERS just to prove to themselves that they are snobs. lol. The funniest thing is when there is a group of cruisers and you give the low wave, and first couple riders don't wave back. Then I start wave more energeticly, still no wave? I stand on my pegs and wave with both arms like crazy. I can just imagine what the riders at the end thinking. I know I'm laughing my ass off.
KELPHYN is offline   Reply With Quote