Go Back   ninjette.org > Marketplace > Items Wanted

Old March 15th, 2012, 09:05 PM   #1
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
WTB: Soupy's Performance Adjustable Dogbones

Hey guys, I'm looking to further raise the tail of my bike, and am looking for a set of adjustable dogbones from Soupy's Performance. I emailed them asking about cost for a shorter set, but it's been a few days and I've had no response yet, so if I can avoid doing business with them I will.

Anyhow, if anyone has a spare set, or a set that they no longer want, I would be open to offers. I'm looking to hopefully spend less than full price, but we can work out something that's fair.

Thanks a bunch guys
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2012, 02:48 AM   #2
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

I would think you would be able to make your own out of some parts from the hardware store. Like a couple of turnbuckles and some ends to put the bolts through. It'd be a lot less than $100 plus shipping...
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2012, 07:11 AM   #3
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yeah, but isn't there something inside the hole on the dogbone? It's not literally a straight through hole is it? There's a sleeve through it right? I want pretty much the oem dogbone ends that are adjustable.

Old March 20th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #4
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Alright, next question. How would I go about making a set of adjustable dogbones?

What parts would I need to make sure that the ends fit right in where the ends of the dogbones currently are? What grade of parts should I make sure to use etc?

If someone will give me some help, I will write a DIY so that people can do this on their own and have some basic guidelines to follow.

@alex.s I'm pretty sure I read about you making some of these before. What's your input here on parts etc?

EDIT: can I just follow this thread for dogbones? will the rod-end bearings that @Gorilla25 used for his newgen work with my pregen?

Old March 21st, 2012, 12:09 AM   #5
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold) | 636 (hopefully soon)

im sure it will work. I just posted in my rear shock swap thread regarding your questions. with the 150mm length threaded rods and the rod ends, it measured apx 7.5" (eye to eye) which i calculated a 1.5-2" raise in the tail of my bike. im not too sure about the measurements on the pregen, but im sure you can calculate your tail raise or threaded rod length to your liking.
Gorilla25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2012, 02:57 AM   #6
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

@choneofakind I don't know about your area, but here we have a lot of late model dirt track cars. The suspension on these cars utilize turnbuckles with threaded ends that have bearings in the end of them. I honestly don't know what grade they are, but I've seen them in silver and cadmium plate which leads me to believe they are stainless or grade 8. Anyways, those shops might be a good place to look. Online is probably a good source too, looking around the dirt track or performance car websites.

I know Lowes carries stainless steel turnbuckles, but they only have loop ends. Grainger may carry something with a bearing end? I would think a bearing end would be the way to go unless you could locate your bolt securely in the loop end. I don't think strength would be an issue. You would be using 2 of them and I can't imagine the forces would be high enough to break 2 stainless or grade 8 turnbuckles.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2012, 07:45 AM   #7
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Ok, mine are 140mm eye to eye on the oem dogbones, I'll shoot for that as my base length with the ability to go shorter.

CB thanks for the heads up about parts. I'll be using turnbuckles with bearings. I don't want to have to deal with lubing those. I've also never heard of Grainger before. I'll have to google them and see if they exist in NE Ohio. I'll use the internet to order stuff too.

Thanks CJ, I'll go check that thread real quick

Old March 22nd, 2012, 07:42 AM   #8
cliff0529
ninjette.org member

Name: Cliff

Motorcycle(s): 1999 BMW K1200LT, 2001 Aprilia Falco, 2008 Ninja 250R and a whole slew of dirtbikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Ok, mine are 140mm eye to eye on the oem dogbones, I'll shoot for that as my base length with the ability to go shorter.

CB thanks for the heads up about parts. I'll be using turnbuckles with bearings. I don't want to have to deal with lubing those. I've also never heard of Grainger before. I'll have to google them and see if they exist in NE Ohio. I'll use the internet to order stuff too.

Thanks CJ, I'll go check that thread real quick

McMaster Carr is a good source too. I think I priced out enough to make two sets (4 dogbones) for less than $50 shipped.

Georgia Fast Lane
cliff0529 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2012, 04:21 AM   #9
4950cycle
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 06 EX 250, 75 CB 125 S, 2011 Fang Bobber

I'm not trying to sell anything ? I'm was just trying to post a new thread
4950cycle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2012, 05:04 AM   #10
Vampyre
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R Black, 2005 ZX-6R Blue

Chone as far as I know, both my stock and lowering links only had holes in them. Also, I was in Ohio for the last 4 days for work. Just got back last night.
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2012, 07:36 AM   #11
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yeah Joe I know you were, but you were in Dayton, and I'm in Ada right now at school. If I had my bike, I would have headed south to say hi!

Note to all:

Thanks for the advise here, it will be useful for others besides myself later on, but I screwed up when trying to make my own shorter dogbones from solid stock. Instead of going through that again, I just contacted soupy's and bought a shorter set of adjustable dogbones for raising the bike.

If anyone else would like to do the same thing I did, their customer service rocks, it just took a week before I received an initial reply. After the first reply, I never had to wait more than a few hours for a response. They're very helpful and the product is great! I can't wait to install them on my bike and play around with ride height.

Old May 16th, 2012, 08:33 AM   #12
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

OK, I gotta ask: Why does the site say that it can raise and lower a previous gen but only lower a current gen? I ask because the bike I want to use it on is a pregen but with curgen swingarm/shock.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2012, 08:34 AM   #13
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
You know, I think it's just because the dogbones are different lengths, but I'm not sure. The pregen bones are 140mm, and the new ones are significantly longer. For your setup, you'll want to talk to Rexbo because he makes his own shorter dogbones for the newgen that are plug and play.

Old May 17th, 2012, 04:16 PM   #14
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

VERY interesting. In that case, can a current-gen swingarm and shock work with previous-gen dogbones to raise the tail? The bike I'm interested in still comes with the old swingarm/shock setup too.

Old May 18th, 2012, 09:02 AM   #15
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I have no idea. I would assume so, but it would be better to make shorter dogbones for a newgen bike, because the newgen swingarm works with the newgen wheels, which allow super sticky radials. The pregen is a great bike, but it's kinda lacking in the tire department.

Old May 19th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #16
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
I have no idea. I would assume so, but it would be better to make shorter dogbones for a newgen bike, because the newgen swingarm works with the newgen wheels, which allow super sticky radials. The pregen is a great bike, but it's kinda lacking in the tire department.

I'm talking about taking the shorter dog bones from the old pregen swingarm and using them with the already installed newgen swingarm and shock to continue using newgen wheels. I'm not talking about switching the whole pregen suspension back as that would accomplish nothing but a downgrade. If I can just grab the shorter dogbones instead of making shorter ones, it would be ideal.

Old May 21st, 2012, 04:53 PM   #17
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
no, they're a) too short, and b) totally different than the newgen ones.

Old May 21st, 2012, 07:28 PM   #18
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
no, they're a) too short, and b) totally different than the newgen ones.
Gotcha. I'll have to talk to Rexbo then. Thanks!