ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 18th, 2011, 04:40 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[topix.net] - Calgary cracks down on noisy cars, motorcycles

The city will set new noise limits for hot rods and motorbikes, and test a new photo-radar-style device to nab loud motorists.

Click here for full story...

Old May 25th, 2011, 09:04 AM   #2
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjette Newsbot View Post
The city will set new noise limits for hot rods and motorbikes, and test a new photo-radar-style device to nab loud motorists.

Click here for full story...
NOT COOL ! It's going to have to be nothing higher than 96 dB...which is very frustrating!

What part of the city you live in?
blink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 06:58 AM   #3
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

I wonder if the folks who push the "loud pipes save lives" myth realized that there would be pushback? Too late now...
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 08:12 AM   #4
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

we have something similar in certain municipalities over here in Ontario as well, but not the GTA yet...
It sucks here because they only target bikes. Theres a lot more stupid kids driving around in 20 year old hatchback civics and golfs, with their ridiculously loud cannon sized fart cans. But its also the cruiser guys who roll through town on weekends, and it'll sound like artillery going off.
When I hear a nice supersport I love it, that sweet tuned pitch...like a jet...My ears naturally perk like a dog when I hear em coming.
LoneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 08:48 AM   #5
rc_cola
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja CT Blue 250r

It will be intereting to know how they'll enforce this law. I know they are going to have DB meters on red light cameras, but how as a consumer am I going to know if I'm over the limit or not?
rc_cola is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #6
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_cola View Post
It will be intereting to know how they'll enforce this law. I know they are going to have DB meters on red light cameras, but how as a consumer am I going to know if I'm over the limit or not?
In july...and all summer they will pull you over and let you know, BUT they will not ticket you no matter what. It is the warning period and in september if the bylaw passes, then you will have gotten your warnings and they will start ticketing. Stupid, but fair enough.
blink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #7
rc_cola
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja CT Blue 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
In july...and all summer they will pull you over and let you know, BUT they will not ticket you no matter what. It is the warning period and in september if the bylaw passes, then you will have gotten your warnings and they will start ticketing. Stupid, but fair enough.
I heard this, but I'm more thinking in the future. What if I get a new bike or muffler for my bike/car.

Lot's unanswered questions to be answered yet...
rc_cola is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 04:42 PM   #8
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

I am all for this.
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 04:57 PM   #9
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

I'm all for exhausts that don't deafen me. I'm not for it being regulated by government. I do think most loudpipes are excessive. I think that companies should be self regulating to a reasonable and safe level. At least it doesn't seem as bad as the California law that goes into effect soon.

For enthusiasts who want aftermarket parts, the California law is a slap in the face. The added cost of getting certified may not be worth it for the suppliers, especially the smaller companies. Then you effectively (intended or not) create a monopoly for the OEM on replacement parts and performance upgrades. Not cool.