Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old May 27th, 2018, 11:36 AM   #1
EffaMoulton
ninjette.org member

Name: Ethan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r SE

How do I not go deaf while riding?

I would like to be able to ride and listen to music/talk to another rider. I’ve tried ear buds but I have to play them way too loud to be able to hear the music, and I’d like to be able to hear when I’m older. So I guess what I’m asking is how do I block out all of the wind noise but be able to play music?
EffaMoulton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2018, 11:58 AM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/...20_apple_black
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2018, 12:10 PM   #3
EffaMoulton
ninjette.org member

^ Has anyone ever used these while riding? I’m not sure if I could justify spending that much on earbuds lol.

Old May 27th, 2018, 12:11 PM   #4
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250, VFR800

First off if this is on the 250/300, then you need a better helmet. My current one is the quietest helmet I've ever owned, most are very poorly designed for noise even VERY expensive ones. I wish the type approval tests had DB ratings for all helmets, I have been very disappointed in the past with some helmets I have owned or borrowed. You should be able to hear easily with good buds up to 80mph, above that even good acoustic helmets start to generate lots of noise.

Active noise cancelling is the next thing to take it to the next level, I use Boseir over ear units on planes & have been waiting for a helmet manufacturer to bring one out. Sena announced one a couple of years back with full noise cancelling & built in bluetooth comms etc, but its not arrived in the market yet

YMMV
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2018, 12:13 PM   #5
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
I wear regular earplugs for protection in conjunction with using my Sena headset.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 27th, 2018, 12:23 PM   #6
EffaMoulton
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the info, I could turn the earbuds that I’m using up but I just don’t want to damage my hearing.

Old May 27th, 2018, 12:38 PM   #7
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...eview.1157477/

Old May 27th, 2018, 12:45 PM   #8
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
if you are that worried about it wear earplugs and leave out the music.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 27th, 2018, 12:55 PM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Earplugs + helmet speakers have always worked best for me, but have only taken the time to set them up on larger bikes. Music or not, seriously consider wearing earplugs.

Reference thread here

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2018, 01:07 PM   #10
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quiet helmet, ear plugs, I've used marshmallow earbuds with great success

Old May 27th, 2018, 01:38 PM   #11
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 286, 296, 599, 799

See an audiologist, they can pour ear plugs to the shape of your ear. Then insert tiny speakers in them. That’s how the car racers do it.
AwDang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2018, 01:47 PM   #12
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I'm a fan of hearing the sounds around me when I ride. I take any advantage I can get to keep me informed of the vehicles that may run me over. Ear plugs don't mask those sounds, they just bring everything down to a safe level. Music on the other hand, would not be my friend.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2018, 02:56 PM   #13
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Plugphones.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...1?ie=UTF8&th=1
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2018, 03:55 PM   #14
EffaMoulton
ninjette.org member

Those bose earbuds seem like they would work amazing. It’s just too bad they’re $250

Old May 27th, 2018, 05:26 PM   #15
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
You are from Maine. You only have two weeks of summer riding. Don't listen to music or any other distraction. Enjoy the sound of the bike and the view around you.

Last futzed with by CC Cowboy; May 28th, 2018 at 06:52 AM.
CC Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old May 27th, 2018, 06:39 PM   #16
DannoXYZ

Try these. I've always like their home audio equipment better than Bose anyway.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C4VG1XS/

Old May 28th, 2018, 12:59 PM   #17
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
I've found that this design does a good job of blocking out loud noises while keeping quieter noises pretty hearable:

There was a name for the tech/reason why it works but I forget. I stopped using them and started using a more comfortable design and ditched the music: The distraction it provides isn't worth it to me.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2018, 05:44 PM   #18
DannoXYZ

In many states, it's illegal to listen to music while riding. Weasel-worded in different ways.

Old May 28th, 2018, 05:52 PM   #19
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
In California, I think it's a single speaker in the helmet. I think my bluetooth has two, but I don't remember. My rear blinkers are also an eighth of an inch too close together.

Laws are useless if they're not enforced.

Old May 28th, 2018, 07:58 PM   #20
danno25nh
ninjette.org member

Name: Danno

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2009 Versys

I find good ear plugs make a huge difference.
The music from my sena sounds good but the low wind noise really makes the ride seem more stress free.
danno25nh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2018, 04:58 AM   #21
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Eh?

Somebody had to say it.

This is a very personal thing. The concept that's worked for me is the same one the previously mentioned plugphones use: An earbud that fits completely inside your ear canal, thereby providing both noise isolation and access to music at a reasonably low volume.

I've tried 'em and they're good.

However, because of my particular anatomy (my ears aren't that large) the protruding part of the plugphones gets pressed on by the helmet and makes them a bit uncomfortable for me.

What I use and highly recommend is the PlugUp S-plugs. These fit ENTIRELY in your ear canal so the only thing that sticks out is the wire. They give noise isolation easily as good as regular earplugs, which means I don't need to crank up the audio volume at all.

They are absolutely awesome and I won't ride on the street without 'em. I listen to podcasts/NPR instead of music, but that's just personal preference. It's easier to get distracted and lost in music for me, and that's a bad thing when riding.

The S-Plugs are relatively expensive for standard earbuds but they work so well that for me, they're worth it.

So bottom line: Same concept as plugphones but different execution. The plugphones are cheap enough to take a risk on but if they don't work, you won't regret investing in the S-plugs.

https://www.plugup.com/best_and_most...22-3.5-4.5.htm

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2018, 08:10 AM   #22
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
In California, I think it's a single speaker in the helmet. I think my bluetooth has two, but I don't remember. My rear blinkers are also an eighth of an inch too close together.

Laws are useless if they're not enforced.
Seems like it depends on the interpretation of the law by individual officer or department. It's either ok because it's not in-ear (which is always illegal) or it's not ok because the intent is the same as in-ear. Pretty sure the law says nothing about a single speaker being ok either way.

Here's a thread where several LEOs weighed in on the situation:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...d.php?t=524497

Old May 29th, 2018, 09:10 AM   #23
jcgss77
Its not a 250,its a Ninja

Name: Shaun

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja Kaw, '22 CFMOTO 300NK

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Eh?

Somebody had to say it.

This is a very personal thing. The concept that's worked for me is the same one the previously mentioned plugphones use: An earbud that fits completely inside your ear canal, thereby providing both noise isolation and access to music at a reasonably low volume.

I've tried 'em and they're good.

However, because of my particular anatomy (my ears aren't that large) the protruding part of the plugphones gets pressed on by the helmet and makes them a bit uncomfortable for me.

What I use and highly recommend is the PlugUp S-plugs. These fit ENTIRELY in your ear canal so the only thing that sticks out is the wire. They give noise isolation easily as good as regular earplugs, which means I don't need to crank up the audio volume at all.

They are absolutely awesome and I won't ride on the street without 'em. I listen to podcasts/NPR instead of music, but that's just personal preference. It's easier to get distracted and lost in music for me, and that's a bad thing when riding.

The S-Plugs are relatively expensive for standard earbuds but they work so well that for me, they're worth it.

So bottom line: Same concept as plugphones but different execution. The plugphones are cheap enough to take a risk on but if they don't work, you won't regret investing in the S-plugs.
Thank you, @adouglas for your recommendation. I trust your input, and will certainly be looking these up when I am able to afford it. I just wish they were bluetooth for that pricepoint. I will not be giving my money to Bose, I think that though they do put out a quality product, the pricing is far from matching the quality. Do you link up with GPS on these, and what do you recommend when linking up to a phone attached to the bike to use the GPS visually and auditory(sp)?
jcgss77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2018, 01:06 PM   #24
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgss77 View Post
Thank you, @adouglas for your recommendation. I trust your input, and will certainly be looking these up when I am able to afford it. I just wish they were bluetooth for that pricepoint. I will not be giving my money to Bose, I think that though they do put out a quality product, the pricing is far from matching the quality. Do you link up with GPS on these, and what do you recommend when linking up to a phone attached to the bike to use the GPS visually and auditory(sp)?
PlugUp is a small business and these things are made by hand. I do believe they can attach the S-plug tips to a bluetooth headset that you supply... depends on the headset. The electronics can't be in the earbuds for obvious reasons. They show something like this on their website, but the information is dated. Drop them a line.

I use this, clipped to my backpack harness or jacket. Nothing unique about it... it's just a simple Bluetooth receiver.

https://www.outdoortechnology.com/pr...nt=36887922958

iPhone is in a cradle on the top triple. For commuting I have podcasts running in the background, and Waze in the foreground. I have the Waze audio set for alerts only.

When going on rides where I need directions, I prefer the display on the CoPilot app. So in those situations I'm running three things at once... CoPilot for nav (in the foreground), Waze for police warnings (background audio) and my podcast app.

When just riding around, sometimes I just wear earplugs... or I'll just have podcast audio with no display.

Copilot safety view....

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2018, 05:48 AM   #25
EffaMoulton
ninjette.org member

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I’ll have to pick what I like and try it.

Old May 30th, 2018, 11:45 PM   #26
corksil

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Shure se425, but ditch the sh!++y plugs they come with and upgrade to something that looks more like this..

Obviously you'll need to find the right plugs which slip onto the SE425 and have a hole through the middle to translate the sound.

It's all a matter of personal preference and testing out different things to see what works.

The ultimate solution is custom-made ear-plugs which are molded specifically to fit the shape of your ear, but I haven't made it to that level yet.

The cheap option is foam earplugs with a 21dB NRR which will still allow you to hear traffic noise.... and yeah, ditch the music.

Old May 31st, 2018, 02:14 PM   #27
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post

I really like that idea and I really like that a smaller business is doing something like this. While I don't think I'll use 'em for riding, I'm definitely going to have to pick up a pair of these. The form-factor looks perfect.

Anecdote on podcasts: my brother showed me a weld he made. It was a really good weld when he'd started, then it turned into splattery hemorrhoids. I asked him what happened there, and he told me he started laughing because he was listening to podcasts while welding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
Seems like it depends on the interpretation of the law by individual officer or department. It's either ok because it's not in-ear (which is always illegal) or it's not ok because the intent is the same as in-ear. Pretty sure the law says nothing about a single speaker being ok either way.

Here's a thread where several LEOs weighed in on the situation:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...d.php?t=524497
That's a good read. Kind of reinforces what I already do; know how the LEOs operate in your area. A bit harder to do in a bigger city like you're in, though.