ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old April 24th, 2017, 07:50 AM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[visordown.com] - Motorcyclist killed in high-speed chase after collision with police

Click here for full story...

Old April 24th, 2017, 09:37 AM   #2
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
On another forum there is a pretty ugly discussion going on over this incident.

Many people think the cop should not have chased the biker, or at least should have held back further. Some think it was intentional murder. And, others think it's the bikers fault for speeding and not pulling over.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2017, 10:05 AM   #3
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
no gear
taz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2017, 10:10 AM   #4
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Cop shouldn't have rammed him. Biker should have stopped. We get chases here a lot, and they just follow the person. They stop eventually.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old April 24th, 2017, 11:49 AM   #5
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Motorcycles are suppose to be exempt from ramming/pit maneuver. This is the exact outcome for why cops shouldn't use this measure to stop a continuing pursuit. With that in mind, besides breaking off the pursuit and allowing the behavior to perhaps continue what else would be deemed a possible solution to ending a motorcycle pursuit? (Release the Mattress?)

In this situation, the reason for the stop just being high speeds, there was no reason to follow so close. But bigger crimes where this chase may be toward an escaping murderer or worse, I can see it still being wrong for the officer to pull such an action but may see it necessary for the chase to be ended in a fashion where the criminal is apprehended on the spot.

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2017, 12:14 PM   #6
asellus
way better at cars

Name: Ian

Motorcycle(s): '07 250

Zero sympathy here.

Old April 24th, 2017, 12:25 PM   #7
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
It's official policy in my county for the county cops to let motorcycles go if they run. One of the Sheriff's deputies told me they decided that it wasn't worth killing someone over some traffic infraction. I don't know if the state troopers here have the same policy.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2017, 01:46 PM   #8
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
It's official policy in my county for the county cops to let motorcycles go if they run. One of the Sheriff's deputies told me they decided that it wasn't worth killing someone over some traffic infraction. I don't know if the state troopers here have the same policy.
Washington DC police have a policy of not chasing bikes, but US Capital and US Park police do not.

I have friends on the latter two departments that have caught motorcycles that run. The bikers often say "you aren't supposed to chase us " as the cuffs are being applied. There reply, wrong department.

Kids on dirt bikes ride around town breaking the mirrors off occupied police cars then running.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2017, 01:53 PM   #9
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
The bikers often say "you aren't supposed to chase us " as the cuffs are being applied. There reply, wrong department.
Uh huh. Riiiiight.....
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2017, 07:45 PM   #10
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Name: Genesis

Motorcycle(s): SC28 Fireblade

You gotta pull over and follow rules. Even if I knew I could get away on a motorcycle, I would never attempt to evade the Police. You gotta have nothing going for yourself to evade the police. There are some motorcyclist think that they can do whatever they want. People have choices in life.

There was a motorcyclist that died near my neighborhood in Petaluma a fews weeks ago, similar scenario. I feel bad for the innocent people who get screwed over in life. The cop might have bumped into the guy to reduce future damage control. What if the Motorcyclist rode past a school and hit a child or a group of children.

The cop did not look good in the video, but you have to look at the whole situation.
BoBO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2017, 09:56 PM   #11
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

welp. one less POS on the road. I don't see the issue here tbh. dude is 30 years old making piss poor, childlike decisions.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2017, 10:24 PM   #12
highvoltj
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, 1986 Ninja 250R (x2) '06 ZX6R 636

re:

I totally agree after watching the cop-cam video in that the motorcyclist made an unwise and very tragic decision to try to evade while breaking the law, although poor judgement for the officer to ram into him. Very sad indeed!
highvoltj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2017, 11:44 PM   #13
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
At first I wasn't so sure the car even sped up before he hit him, but I heard the bike downshift just before the collision. I don't think the cop meant to hit him and just heard the bike downshift, sped up accordingly, and ended up hitting the bike that way.

I don't think it's worth it for a cop to chase a bike and all that, but if someone's trying to outrun the cops and doesn't consider this as a possible outcome beforehand, they're probably so stupid they won't even notice if their sparingly-used brain erupts against a pole like this guy's did.

On that note, intentional murder? Give me a break. This small (but loud!) group of motorcyclists with this "motorcycles never do anything wrong!" "cops are all out to get me!" BS is getting old. These entitled crybabies deserve whatever they get. I hope each and every one of them grows up somehow and decide to stop making us look bad.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2017, 06:55 AM   #14
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
At first I wasn't so sure the car even sped up before he hit him, but I heard the bike downshift just before the collision. I don't think the cop meant to hit him and just heard the bike downshift, sped up accordingly, and ended up hitting the bike that way.

I don't think it's worth it for a cop to chase a bike and all that, but if someone's trying to outrun the cops and doesn't consider this as a possible outcome beforehand, they're probably so stupid they won't even notice if their sparingly-used brain erupts against a pole like this guy's did.

On that note, intentional murder? Give me a break. This small (but loud!) group of motorcyclists with this "motorcycles never do anything wrong!" "cops are all out to get me!" BS is getting old. These entitled crybabies deserve whatever they get. I hope each and every one of them grows up somehow and decide to stop making us look bad.
That's what their statement on FB said.

Doing stupid s*** like that usually doesn't end well. Lots of bad choices by that guy, and it ended very poorly for him.

Be smart and live.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2017, 01:49 PM   #15
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
That's what their statement on FB said.

Doing stupid s*** like that usually doesn't end well. Lots of bad choices by that guy, and it ended very poorly for him.

Be smart and live.
Absolutely. I can't imagine if I received the news that someone so close to me passed, and then learned it happened in such an avoidable way. My condolences to this guy's family.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote