ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:54 AM   #1
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Question So why hide your age?

So the Ninjette User CP ("Edit Your Details") will allow you to show not only your birth-date but it will also allow you to display your age. I'm curious to know why most choose to hide this information? Thoughts?

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:06 AM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post
So the Ninjette User CP ("Edit Your Details") will allow you to show not only your birth-date but it will also allow you to display your age. I'm curious to know why most choose to hide this information? Thoughts?
Because people judge based on things that have no validity. If I told you how old I really am I guarantee you'd change your view of me based only on that one irrelevant number... in exactly the same way you judge people you've never spoken to on their physical appearance. Therefore you would change the way you interact with me.

Yes, I'm older than the vast majority on this board by a long way. And no, that doesn't mean I'm out of touch.

For me it's about an inherent sense of the importance of privacy. If it's none of your business you don't need to know it.

Younger people seem to have moved away from this world view. I'm of a generation that values it highly. You get to know only what I think you need to know... and my age isn't included in that.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:08 AM   #3
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

I guess it's because I feel like forums are geared towards an impersonal sharing of information. Personally, I'm here to learn/talk/share things about the ninjettes or motorcycling in general and posting of personal information just didn't strike me as a necessity when registering...and in this day and age of FB and twitter, a place I can get involved in with some semblance of anonymity is, quite frankly, refreshing...and ninjette.org is that piece of paradise on the web for me
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:09 AM   #4
dubojr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Because people judge based on things that have no validity. If I told you how old I really am I guarantee you'd change your view of me based only on that one irrelevant number... in exactly the same way you judge people you've never spoken to on their physical appearance. Therefore you would change the way you interact with me.

Yes, I'm older than the vast majority on this board by a long way. And no, that doesn't mean I'm out of touch.

For me it's about an inherent sense of the importance of privacy. If it's none of your business you don't need to know it.

Younger people seem to have moved away from this world view. I'm of a generation that values it highly. You get to know only what I think you need to know... and my age isn't included in that.
Thank you for your honesty. All good points.

Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:13 AM   #5
dubojr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthioKnight View Post
I guess it's because I feel like forums are geared towards an impersonal sharing of information. Personally, I'm here to learn/talk/share things about the ninjettes or motorcycling in general and posting of personal information just didn't strike me as a necessity when registering...and in this day and age of FB and twitter, a place I can get involved in with some semblance of anonymity is, quite frankly, refreshing...and ninjette.org is that piece of paradise on the web for me
Another good point!

Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:19 AM   #6
dubojr1

@adouglas

So is there any time when age should be used as a judgement? Say you need a critical life saving surgery and you get to choose your doctor. Wouldn't a 25 year experienced doctor be more of the liking than a 25 year old one?

Oh and everyone please don't take any of this to heart. The intent isn't to run over anyone's feelings as I've been accused of in the past.

Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:26 PM   #7
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

In a case like the surgeons I would go with the one that has more experience and better results with THAT surgery. A surgeon with 25yrs of experience may not have done this particular type of surgery as much as a younger surgeon. Or it could be a new procedure that may have been developed by the younger surgeon to have greater success than previous types of surgery. You have to look at more than age in most cases.

Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:41 PM   #8
adouglas
Cat herder

Age does not matter. Ability does. Experience is certainly part of that, but age does not equate to experience or competence.

For that matter, neither does your background. The diploma on the wall means you graduated. It doesn't mean you're good at what you do. 50 percent of all doctors were in the lower half of their class. Einstein was a drop-out. So was Steve Jobs. The list goes on... Larry Ellison (Oracle), Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates.

I never took a single class that bears on my career. My education was completely unrelated to what I do at my job and I was a terrible student. Yet I've been making a good living doing the same thing for 29 years. Not because I've been doing it a long time, or because I went to a prestigious school. It's because I happen to be good enough at it to get paid.

We should be judged on our ability to perform and NOTHING else.

Old May 3rd, 2012, 02:09 PM   #9
dubojr1

I can see each of your points. I'm really having a hard time putting in words what I'm trying to achieve here. Maybe I need to point out the specific surgery to be more clearer. My fear then would it would only be narrowed even further than what my medical knowledge.

Hmm. I may have to think a bit more on how I can possible get my point across. Maybe the younger generation would have points to add here. You guys have to too much knowledge/experience for it. It most be because your old farts. Lol

Thanks for the responses though.

Old May 3rd, 2012, 04:03 PM   #10
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Quote:
You guys have to too much knowledge/experience for it. It must be because your old farts. Lol

Thanks for the responses though.

Hey.... I resemble that remark.

Old May 4th, 2012, 02:17 PM   #11
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I consider everyone else on this board to be a 21yr old douchebag asshole just like me, that is until they say blah blah blah I'm a 40yr old doucebag asshole you dumb kid
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #12
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

When I make sexually suggestive inappropriate comments to people, it's because I imagine everyone is an 19 year old hot female. It would be weird if I knew their real age.

Old May 6th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #13
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
When I make sexually suggestive inappropriate comments to people, it's because I imagine everyone is an 19 year old hot female. It would be weird if I knew their real age.
Shoot for 17, its only 2 years off and so much more inappropriate.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #14
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Hiding your age isn't as bad as forgetting your age.

Old May 8th, 2012, 04:56 AM   #15
dubojr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Shoot for 17, its only 2 years off and so much more inappropriate.
Now, now Jiggles....

Have you been holding back on us? Since when are you a "hot female?"

17... Maybe, but a hot female.... I think not! LOL

Old May 8th, 2012, 04:59 AM   #16
adouglas
Cat herder

Old May 8th, 2012, 05:08 AM   #17
dubojr1

Quote:

Old May 8th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #18
DBentley415
ninjette.org member

Name: Kayla

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
This used to bother me because I really wanted to know who was my age, actually it still kinda bothers me. Naturally, I associate with people my own age more often so I guess it helps to stop that from happening.

*In paradise there ain't no clocks...*
DBentley415 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2012, 05:58 PM   #19
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBentley415 View Post
This used to bother me because I really wanted to know who was my age, actually it still kinda bothers me. Naturally, I associate with people my own age more often so I guess it helps to stop that from happening.
It seems as if you're saying that having to associate with those of different ages is a bad thing.

This is exactly the viewpoint I was talking about when I gave my reasons for not sharing my age. People DO judge based only on that one meaningless bit of information.

Consider this: If you associate only with those your own age you're missing a lot of what life has to offer.

Those older than you can teach you a great deal. We've been there and done that, you know. We were once your age and I guarantee you we had the same life experiences you're having right now, one way or another.

Those younger than you can open your eyes with a fresh perspective on what you think you've got nailed.

They can also be an endless source of amusement because of the silly ideas they often have.

Old May 8th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #20
DBentley415
ninjette.org member

Name: Kayla

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
It seems as if you're saying that having to associate with those of different ages is a bad thing.

This is exactly the viewpoint I was talking about when I gave my reasons for not sharing my age. People DO judge based only on that one meaningless bit of information.
I read your first post, and totally agree. I think it is a good thing to get to know people of all ages. I also agree that people judge you by it, but they also judge you based on so many other things too.

I'm saying that if there is a 25 year old person and a 45 year old person, based solely on that, I'm instinctively more likely to talk to and get to know the 25 year old because I feel like we are better able to relate to one another. Like I said there are so many other factors though too, if the 45 year old is an accountant and loves motorcycles (two things in common with me) and the 25 year old is a journalist and loves painting (two things not in common with me), I'd be more likely to talk to the 45 year old. It can be a bad thing because it prevents you from learning about new things, but I think people socially gravitate toward people they can relate to.

Personally, I try to combat this by having an open mind and trying lots of new things (I snowboard, travel, have a pet snake, am going skydiving in a few weeks, of course have a ninja , run 5K's, have gone para-sailing, etc.) which helps in getting to know people and connecting with them on some level. I believe that there is always something you can learn from someone and something they can learn from you.

*In paradise there ain't no clocks...*
DBentley415 is offline   Reply With Quote