Old January 2nd, 2019, 08:29 AM   #1
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
2019 Northeast Track Day Thread

The current schedule/attendance post is always near the bottom of the thread.

Track Days 2019

It's WAY WAY more fun to do a track day when you hang out with others. So let's try to line up our schedules so we can do that, and make an effort to arrive at the same time so we can pit together.

What's new:

- TTD returns to Loudon for one day in August.
- Fishtail is running at Tamworth.
- A dispute between TPM and NJMP means TPM won't be hosting days in New Jersey (info current January 2019). N2 is running there.
- Added track info for Loudon (TTD, Penguin and Fishtail), Pocono (TPM), Canaan (Penguin) and Tamworth (Fishtail).

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.

Last futzed with by adouglas; January 5th, 2019 at 07:00 AM.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2019, 08:30 AM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

All the track info is here....

Palmer Motorsports Park, Palmer, MA
http://www.palmermotorsportspark.com/

There are sound limits at this track. You have been warned. Hasn't been a big deal, but if you've got one of those stupid-loud megaphone exhausts, you might have a really short day.

Palmer is... is... well, just LOOK at it! How can you NOT want to ride here? Massive elevation change including a Laguna Seca-like diving turn.

Super-cool drone video .... worth watching!

Link to original page on YouTube.

Steely-eyed missile man and TTD instructor Paul Duval gives us a narrated lap:

Reverse direction, blue (second fastest) group:

Reverse with notes (car-specific but overall it does look useful)

Facilities: There is garage space available, rented per bay. You can fit four bikes in a bay. The full garage building is $50/day, while the open-sided "carport" along the pit all is $40/day. Garage has power. You're supposed to reserve at the Palmer website: Go here http://palmermotorsportspark.com/events.aspx and click through to find your event. It's pretty casual, so no biggie if you mess up.

There's a shower/rest room building. Showers are around back. There are also porta-potties... it's a big paddock. A bicycle comes in handy especially if you rent a garage.

Note: If you're looking at track maps, note that the turn numbers are not consistent. For our purposes, the left hander at the bottom of the hill after pit-out is Turn 2. The Turn 4/5 complex is the climbing left-right S. The diving left-hander is Turn 7. The big banked right-hand carousel is Turn 9, aka The Bowl.

Thompson Speedway, Thompson, CT
http://www.thompsonspeedway.com/

Facilities: Thompson has garage space with power for rent (2018 price was $25/bike, reservations not needed, pay at the gate), showers, fuel on-site ($$$) and is easily the best track for spectators. Fun, point-and-shoot.

"Normal" clockwise direction, narrated by Ken Condon

"Reverse" counterclockwise (which I think is more fun.... ijs...)

New York Safety Track, Harpersfield, NY

In addition to renting the facility out to track day organizations like TTD and TPM, NYST runs its own track days. Those dates are not shown in this thread. Visit the NYST site for details.

http://www.NYST.com/

Great track overall, with really nice flow and variety.

NYST runs both directions: "Uptown" is counterclockwise, "Downtown" is clockwise.

Faciliites: Showers, but no garages. Word has it that limited power is available and there are rumors of it spreading but I don't know any details. The paddock can be a bit challenging and is very crowded. The lower area is not level and the upper area by the building is nothing but a strip of pavement with people parked on both edges.

If you ride with TTD, camping is included in your fee. If you attend a "native" NYST day, they'll hit you up for $20 per night. They don't tell you that in advance....

Uptown:

Downtown:

New Jersey Motorsports Park, Millville, NJ

http://www.njmp.com/

As of January 2019, long-time incumbent TPM no longer hosts track days at NJMP. Your source is now N2 Track Days. See the schedule post for info.

NJMP hosts MotoAmerica, and is spectator-friendly. I've not done a track day here, but did a couple of parade laps of the Thunderbolt circuit when I saw the late-season MotoAmerica race with Ben a couple of years ago. The track has nice flow and looks like it'd be a hoot at speed. I don't know the garage situation for track days. Heads-up if you're trailering from the north: Getting across the Hudson with a trailer can be expensive, depending on which bridge you use. The farther north you can do it, the better.

Thunderbolt:

Lightning:

Now you have Bohemian Rhapsody stuck in your head. You're welcome.

New Hampshire Motor Speedway, Loudon, NH

https://www.nhms.com//

NHMS was for many years the only road course available to bikes in the Northeast. It's got real "character," with some noteworthy bumps and such. It's a combined oval and road course with excellent facilities including free garage space with power. This is where pretty much all of the racing in the Northeast takes place.

Looking into onboard videos... stay tuned.

Pocono Raceway, Long Pond, PA

https://www.poconoraceway.com

As of January 2019, this is the only track where Team ProMotion hosts track days. I believe it's always on the East course, white in the map below.

This is one of NASCAR's gigantic tri-ovals. Been there once many years ago, don't know about facilities.

Looking into onboard videos... stay tuned.

Canaan Motor Club, Canaan, NH

http://www.canaanmotorclub.com

As of January 2019, this track is served only by Penguin.

I understand that this track is very tight and technical. Never been there.

Club Motorsports, Tamworth NH

http://clubmotorsports.com/

Currently only Fishtail is hosting track days here.

About an hour north of Loudon.

This is another noise-sensitive track. Get a db killer, put the stock exhaust back on your bike, whatever... make it quiet or you're going home. Bitching about it won't help.

Another beautiful new track with big elevation change... a "right proper road course" that makes you feel like you're going somewhere.

Track map can be downloaded here:
http://clubmotorsports.com/_pdfs/ClubMotorsportsMap.pdf

Last futzed with by adouglas; January 5th, 2019 at 06:59 AM.

Old January 2nd, 2019, 12:39 PM   #3
Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
No guarantees (Mid O is the only absolute for me this year), but if I can grab meself a trailer, I'll be headed out to Palmer. Crossing fingers all goes well, I'll come up for 2 track days and hang out for a couple more. Enjoy an actual vacation for once. I do have to get a schedule of what my black out days are at work before I can pin down when.

"To ensure you're giving your very best, blind yourself of all negativity, relax your mind, put inhibition to rest and drive hard toward your goals like it's the last thing on earth." - csmith12
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2019, 02:13 PM   #4
adouglas
Cat herder

That would be awesome!

Of the folks you met, I'm there a lot. Ant is going to try to do more riding this year. Jay doesn't ride much at all... maybe one or two days per year tops. Chris is of course really far away so unlikely he can come (still absolutely amazed that he traveled all that way in the first place).

NYST is closer to you and also a great track FYI. My org (TTD) doesn't ride there much because for most people it's more cost-effective to do a "native" NYST day. The downside to that is that NYST is really the Wild West. TTD runs a very tight, safe ship which is why I prefer to ride with them.

Old January 2nd, 2019, 04:21 PM   #5
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
If I am able to make it, I will be ironing out the details with Ant. He had invited me out for Memorial day weekend, but with that being a holiday, it's blacked out for me at work. It's a plan to have at least him and his wife, and he said if it ends up being a time where you aren't already signed up that we could convince you

I figured to turn it into a vacay due to the 9.5 hour drive each way. Have some track fun, enjoy some LA Burdick chocolate, seafood and whatever else is around.

You seem to be the king of trailoring with a small car around here, so if you have any suggestions on something that would be more affordable than the Kendon single rail, I'm all for it. Trailers and hitches are all new to me, so learning bit by bit through online research.

*edit to add* another additional cost, while not a must have, I think it would be nice for someone like me with my anxiety, is the program Ken Condon does for private coaching on the track. I was reading about it on his website. It says it's suggested for intermediate/advanced riders more than novice, but I like the sound of it, and I know it would go a long way for me.

"To ensure you're giving your very best, blind yourself of all negativity, relax your mind, put inhibition to rest and drive hard toward your goals like it's the last thing on earth." - csmith12

Old January 2nd, 2019, 07:09 PM   #6
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Well, I figured it out. The UHaul moto trailer is pretty cheap to rent, so I'll just have the hitch installed and do that. Now just to figure out when

I'm going to shoot for August 4th/5th, that shouldn't be any issue at all.

Old January 2nd, 2019, 11:03 PM   #7
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala View Post
*edit to add* another additional cost, while not a must have, I think it would be nice for someone like me with my anxiety, is the program Ken Condon does for private coaching on the track. I was reading about it on his website. It says it's suggested for intermediate/advanced riders more than novice, but I like the sound of it, and I know it would go a long way for me.
you know... There are drugs for this that work quite well. Really improves your riding too! Free at VA.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2019, 07:29 AM   #8
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:

I've taken coaching from Ken and he's really good. However, I concur that it's a better investment for those with some track experience. It's really about correcting what's leading you in the wrong direction, vs. building basic skills.

TTD is not a "school" like Mid-O but there is plenty of instruction and help. It's a track day organization that is about building skill and riding safe. LOTS of classroom (a class after every session, plus an extra one in the morning for new riders), ample instructor availability. Plus you've got people in your pit to help you out (and yeah, if you're coming I'll do whatever I can to make it that day).

So if it were me, I'd pass on the instruction for now but take every available opportunity to soak up knowledge.

Old January 3rd, 2019, 07:43 AM   #9
adouglas
Cat herder

If you're even remotely handy with a wrench, you can easily install your own hitch. etrailer.com has everything you need, right down to plug-and-play wiring harnesses. Took me all of about an hour to do. I did wind up buying a different ball mount after the fact because the trailer wasn't level with the first one I got.

I've never rented the U-Haul trailer but a lot of people do with good success. It's bigger and heavier than what you'd likely buy, but drive smart and it's not an issue. I'm sure you've seen photos of my tiny clown car with its 109-hp engine... I've successfully towed two bikes with it.

The thing to remember if you buy a trailer is that you'll need a place to keep it. Due to marital requirements I can't litter my yard or driveway with toys, so folding was a requirement for me. Basically it comes down to the Kendon or Harbor Freight at a small fraction of the cost... so HF was the obvious way to go. It lives in my garage.

I bought mine used for $300 or so, corrected what was wrong with it and added a few bits and pieces. It's served me very well for four years and shows no sign of giving up.

You'll also need a good ramp (I got a 6' tri-fold ramp from Tractor Supply for about $120), a chock or Pit Bull TRS, plus various straps. I highly recommend a wider ramp. You see a lot of people stepping up on crates and such; that's not for me. I want a ramp wide enough that I can power-walk the bike up, standing beside it.

There are right ways and wrong ways to load a trailer. It's a good idea to not have too much weight forward because it increases the tongue load. It's an ABSOLUTE REQUIREMENT to not have the c.g. aft of the axle. If you do, you'll have a really exciting and short trip. From my original rig, I wound up moving my chock aft about a foot and now it's perfect. Your goal is to get the tongue load to, oh, say, 50 lbs or so. Light enough to lift, but not so light that the trailer will want to fall on its tail if you pick up the tongue.

Old January 3rd, 2019, 08:42 AM   #10
SpotTheDogg
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 BMW F800GS, 2010 BMW G450X, 1989 Hawk GT, 1974 CB360, 1990 VTR250

Nova Scoti isn't that far...

We used to get a lot of Americans coming to our rounds in Nova Scotia from New England, I guess that was when the only option was Loudon.
SpotTheDogg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2019, 08:49 AM   #11
SpotTheDogg
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 BMW F800GS, 2010 BMW G450X, 1989 Hawk GT, 1974 CB360, 1990 VTR250

U-Haul

If you are only taking one bike their 4x6 enclosed pulls very nicely
SpotTheDogg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2019, 10:24 AM   #12
Frank06
ninjette.org member

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): many!

Atlantic Motorsport Park in Nova Scotia:

Frank06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2019, 11:20 AM   #13
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
I've taken coaching from Ken and he's really good. However, I concur that it's a better investment for those with some track experience. It's really about correcting what's leading you in the wrong direction, vs. building basic skills.

TTD is not a "school" like Mid-O but there is plenty of instruction and help. It's a track day organization that is about building skill and riding safe. LOTS of classroom (a class after every session, plus an extra one in the morning for new riders), ample instructor availability. Plus you've got people in your pit to help you out (and yeah, if you're coming I'll do whatever I can to make it that day).

So if it were me, I'd pass on the instruction for now but take every available opportunity to soak up knowledge.
Sounds good. I let Ant know this morning and he said he is good for August 4th/5th. I got the time off approved and signed up for the days through the TTD website. I think I might have hit a bump, though. I looked at the schedule, all it said was those days are Palmer, counter clockwise, and available. I signed up, picked red group, payed, etc. I registered my email for updates and what not, and on my page it shows that for those dates, red group is only running on the 4th???? Shouldn't it say that on the schedule so people who are signing up know?

Old January 3rd, 2019, 11:36 AM   #14
adouglas
Cat herder

No, you're fine. The way the paid rider lists work is that if your name appears in blue you're signed up for both days, if red you're riding only Aug 4, if black you're riding only Aug. 5. It's just a way of indicating who's riding on which day.

Has nothing to do with which group you're in. All groups run every day.

Palmer is a long lap, so generally Tony runs 20 minute sessions there and combines the two fastest groups into one. That way if there's a red flag there may be time to clear it. Last year he experimented with the more usual four-group format. Don't know which way they'll be doing it this year.

The four groups, slow to fast, are red, yellow, blue and black. I got bumped to blue last year. Another local forum member, Greg (@backinthesaddleagain) is blue as well. Ant @Ducati999 and Jay @Bigballsofpaint are yellow. Chris @csmith12 and Ben @Sirref are wherever they want to be because they're the real deal unlike the rest of us posers.

Be sure to read everything on the TTD website. When you get there you'll be bombarded with things to do, things to remember, etc. etc. The day flies by. The more you know going in the easier it'll be. If you have any questions feel free to PM me... I can walk you through the whole thing in as much detail as you like.

Tip: If you have a bicycle, bring it. We'll probably be renting a garage and it's a bit of a hike down to the classroom. A bicycle makes the day a lot easier.

Tip #2: If you're on Facebook join the Tony's Track Days group (not the business page... the group). It's how people stay in touch. https://www.facebook.com/groups/tonystrackdays/

Old January 3rd, 2019, 12:01 PM   #15
Bigballsofpaint

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

Ill be 100% doing the Louden day this year with Todd, ill take the rest of the year as it goes as the wife is losing her job this month so money will be tight. Such is life right?\

Congrats on the blue bump pal!

Old January 3rd, 2019, 12:03 PM   #16
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
thanks for the clarification! if i had bothered to read the whole page, I would have seen the fine print above the list that says "color on this page does NOT represent group level...."

if all goes as planned, I should have Ant's wife to ride with in red group. He said she'll at least do one day.

I'll read through the web page and join the facebook group.

I'm so excited

@csmith12 are you starting a thread for Mid Ohio? I am curious on the schedule for this year since the calendar on the website shows me nothing.

Old January 3rd, 2019, 08:23 PM   #17
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I WILL be making it back to Palmer this upcoming season. My buddy Kevin is itching to go back, I can't say I blame him really. NYST is out for me this season. Club Motorspots looks interesting, will have to do some homework.

Would love to ride with @ttd again. He puts on a good, safe show... has great guys working for him and makes my 14h+ drive worth it.

We will make it happen sir. We still can meet in the middle at PitRace too if things don't work out for the best.

Stay tuned, plans are being made!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 3rd, 2019, 08:26 PM   #18
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
@csmith12 are you starting a thread for Mid Ohio? I am curious on the schedule for this year since the calendar on the website shows me nothing.
I will start a thread soon, it will be my 6th or 7th year of the thread.

Mid-O normally doesn't release a schedule until around mid-Feb., so hold tight for a lil bit longer. I expect it to be much the same as last year though. A weekend or two and a lot of Mon. Tues. stuff.

I expect to NOT make as many of the Mon. Tues. dates like I did the last few years, my new job will not allow me to take that much time off during the week.

But I am sure we can make something work out, things always work out in the end.

Old January 3rd, 2019, 08:50 PM   #19
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
But I am sure we can make something work out, things always work out in the end.
I hope that job is going well for you!

Old January 4th, 2019, 07:34 AM   #20
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
I WILL be making it back to Palmer this upcoming season. My buddy Kevin is itching to go back, I can't say I blame him really. NYST is out for me this season. Club Motorspots looks interesting, will have to do some homework.

Would love to ride with @ttd again. He puts on a good, safe show... has great guys working for him and makes my 14h+ drive worth it.

We will make it happen sir. We still can meet in the middle at PitRace too if things don't work out for the best.

Stay tuned, plans are being made!
Excellent!

Does Aug 4-5 look like it'll work for you? That'll be the greatest concentration of peeps.

FYI Club Motorsports is a HELL of a long way from you. It's an hour north of Loudon. Just over 1,000 miles from Frankfort.

Old January 4th, 2019, 09:45 AM   #21
Bigballsofpaint

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

Well ****, if Chris is making the drive, i will make sure i can get to at least 1 day.

Old January 5th, 2019, 07:01 AM   #22
adouglas
Cat herder

THE AMAZING MOVING SCHEDULE UPDATE POST for 2019

After 60 days you can't edit posts. So this post will be updated periodically and moved to the bottom of the thread.

Only showing independent track day organizations here. NYST also runs its own events, sometimes on the same day as a track day org. Visit http://www.nyst.com for their schedule.

Post up which days and what group you'll be riding in.

Red means confirmed, paid commitment
Blue means intent, yet to be confirmed

TTD/Razee as of January 2, 2019:

Heads up... Tony's pricing rewards advance planning. Membership is expensive compared to other organizations, but it gives you a hefty discount throughout the season. The membership pays for itself if you attend five days. It's always worked well for me; the tradeoff is the need to commit ahead of time to at least that many if you want it to pay off.

Tony has always offered pay-in-advance cash discounts. When you attend, bring cash in an unsealed envelope to pay for the next event. Same for memberships: way cheaper if you pay in cash for next year before the end of the season. Add up the pay-in-advance membership savings and grab the per-day cash discount throughout the season, and it pretty much pays for a whole track day at member rates.

Palmer, Thompson, NYST

For updates visit http://www.tonystrackdays.com

April 19,20 (Friday, Saturday)
Thompson, CT Clockwise

May 12,13,14
(Sunday, Monday, Tuesday - TUESDAY 5/14 IS A NON-SPORTBIKE DAY. VISIT THE TTD WEBSITE FOR MORE INFO)
Thompson, CT Clockwise

May 26,27 (Sunday, Monday)
Palmer, MA Counter Clockwise

June 9,10 (Sunday, Monday)
Thompson, CT Clockwise

June 23,24 (Sunday, Monday)
New York Safety Track
UPTOWN (Counterclockwise) - Sunday
DOWNTOWN (Clockwise) - Monday

July 14,15 (Sunday, Monday)
Palmer, MA Clockwise

July 16 - Tues - Palmer TBD

August 4,5 (Sunday, Monday)
@Koala, @Ducati999, @adouglas, @csmith12

August 19 (Monday)
Loudon, NH Counter Clockwise
@Bigballsofpaint

Sept 1,2 (Sunday, Monday)

Sept 22 (Sunday)
Thomspon, CT Clockwise

Sept 23 (Monday RAZEE DAY Must Register with RAZEE's)
Thomspon, CT Clockwise

Team Pro Motion TENTATIVE schedule as of January 2, 2019
Pocono

For the full schedule and updates visit https://ridetpm.com

May 5-6 Pocono
May 17-18 Pocono

June 9-10 Pocono
June 22-23 Pocono

July 13-14 Pocono

August 3-4 Pocono

September 28-29 Pocono

Penguin Racing School as of January 2, 2019
Loudon, Canaan, Thompson and NYST

Note: Penguin is primarily a race school that also offers what they call "Track Experience" days. These are what the rest of us call a typical track day (i.e. not for racers).

Key:

A - Advanced
B - Basic License Certification
SPG - SPG Small Practice Group
TX - Track Experience
RP - LRRS Racer Practice
NESBC - New England Sport Bike Club Races
YNR - Youth & New Rider Program (new for 2019)
YNRI - Youth & New Rider Intro to NHMS (in conjunction with LRRS)

For details and full schedule visit http://www.penguinracing.com

April 26 NHMS - Loudon, NH A,B,TX,RP
May 17 NHMS - Loudon, NH A,B,TX,RP
May 31 - Fri. CMC - Canaan, NH YNR, SPG
June 1 - Sat CMC - Canaan, NH A,TX,RP,NESBC
June 12 NHMS - Loudon, NH A,B,TX
June 13 NHMS - Loudon, NH A,TX,RP
June 28 - Fri CMC - Canaan, NH YNR, SPG
June 29 - Sat CMC - Canaan, NH A,TX,RP,NESBC
July 15* Thompson, CT Kawasaki RTR*
July 26 NHMS - Loudon, NH A,B,TX,RP
August 11&12 NYST - Jefferson, NY A,TX
August 16 NHMS - Loudon, NH A,B,TX,RP
September 13 NHMS - Loudon, NH A,B,TX,RP
September 14 NHMS - Loudon, NH YNRI
September 15 NHMS - Loudon, NH A,TX,RP, Dealer Challenge, NESBC
October 4 NHMS - Loudon, NH A,B,TX,RP
December 6 Homestead, FL A,TX

Fishtail Riding School as of January 2, 2019

For details and full schedule visit https://www.fishtailridingschool.com/

Palmer, NHMS, Canaan, Tamworth

NHMS
Monday April 29th
Monday May 20th
Friday June 7th. (Cop day)
Monday July 29th
Monday September 9th
Monday October 7th

Canaan Motorsports Park
Sunday May 26
Saturday & Sunday July 20, 21

Palmer Motorsports Park
Monday Aug 26

Club Motorsports, Inc.
Monday & Tuesday June 10, 11

N2 Track Days as of January 5, 2019

For details and full schedule visit https://www.n2td.org

All dates are at NJMP

April 29 - Thunderbolt
May 20 - Thunderbolt
June 2,3 - Thunderbolt
June 30 - Lightning
July 1 - Lightning
October 5,6 - Thunderbolt

Old January 7th, 2019, 12:29 PM   #23
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Well Hello again everyone!
Glad to be back, I will be campaigning 2 Ducati's this season and intend to do multiple track days. I am already committed to August 4+5 at Palmer as @Koala stated and my wife is planning on riding one of those days also. She is already planning on making her spring rolls and sticky rice for all to eat as tradition dictates. We should have quite a group if my dad, Mike, Ed and possibly Jamie all make the trip. I had to promise Jamie he could use my 916 to get him to come but a win is a win. Mike and Ed are nearly certain to be there and my dad is about 50/50 to be there. With me that will make 6 in our group possibly 7 then add @adouglas for 8. Should @Csmith, @Koala, Kevin the man and maybe @Sireff that would be 12 of us. We could fill half the garage! Please feel free to come join us on August 4 + 5 at Palmer @Bigballsofpaint, @Backinthesaddle or anyone else.

I am debating on skipping the Memorial Day "start of the season" but have not decided yet. I want to ride Louden and NYST this year and may try the April Thompson trip to start the year.
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2019, 01:52 PM   #24
adouglas
Cat herder

April showers...

Still trying to figure the schedule out. There are more days that I want to do than I probably can do.

Old January 7th, 2019, 02:14 PM   #25
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
@Ducati999 I'm all in. I'm signed up, just working out picking up odds and ends. I found a very affordable and easy to install hitch for my car thanks to @adouglas, also found a very cushy bed for the back of the Kia. I've got to figure out how many extra days I'm going to stay so I can reserve the UHaul trailer, and figure out a hotel to stay at for those nights. Any recommendations on that front are welcome.

Has anyone here ever heard of topgearleather.com? I saw them mentioned on reddit, and I am super curious. The price seems almost too good to be true.

Old January 7th, 2019, 02:30 PM   #26
adouglas
Cat herder

If it seems to good to be true, it probably is. Just visited the website and recognize nothing. Never heard of the business, never heard of the brands they sell. Lots of misspellings on the website, which is a bit of a red flag.

On the other hand, they have a US address.

Ask around on other forums (e.g. Trackday Junkies on Facebook) and see what you get.

I know that fit will be a challenge for you, but FYI Sportbiketrackgear is having a blowout on RST suits right now. This is a good brand very popular in Europe.

Old January 7th, 2019, 02:36 PM   #27
adouglas
Cat herder

FYI... this guy has first-hand experience and says it's comparable to Bilt/Sedici.

Review video link in the thread.

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index....-racing-suits/

Looks very much like a "get what you pay for" deal.

Big plus is that you can get a custom suit for $500. For a person who has a hard time with off-the-rack gear, this can be a big deal.

Old January 7th, 2019, 03:03 PM   #28
adouglas
Cat herder

The logic of getting cheap, entry-level gear is understandable, but asking if cheap gear is good enough is the wrong question.

The real question you must ask yourself is this:

Do you think you'll be track riding on a regular basis? Accept that it is more addictive than any drug. Or, do you think you'll be doing much recreational riding where a suit would not be an inconvenience?

If the answer to either or both is "yes" then consider this:

You're going to wind up with better gear anyway. So what's more expensive... to buy cheap gear now, knowing that you'll wind up replacing it before long, or to buy good gear in the first place and be done with it? The same goes for tools.

A friend of mine, now sadly no longer with us, was never able to get past the attractiveness of a low purchase price. He wound spending a lot more money than he would have otherwise because he never could bring himself to buy quality to begin with. He'd either buy something crappy and have to upgrade it, or buy something that would break and need replacement before its time.

If you're really truly not sure that this will be more than a "one and done" experience, however, then saving money might be just what the doctor ordered.

Getting past the unknowns is the tricky part. It may take more than one shot to find what's just right for you. But once you're there and are confident in what the future holds, there is no really good reason to skimp.

Old January 7th, 2019, 03:44 PM   #29
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Sportbiketrackgear was sold out on anything that would remotely fit me.

RidersDiscount let me order the last RST suit they had that would be closest to my size. We'll see if it goes through or if it was already sold to someone else. If it does, $399 is a heck of a deal.

Thanks for the tip! I had long ago given up on trying to find anything on closeout. It seems like by the time I get to them, they are usually all sold out.

Old January 8th, 2019, 03:55 PM   #30
Ducati999

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Motorcycle closeouts.com has a lot of womens gear and even my 5 ft tall 96lb wife found gear at a great price there. They have Oxford full suits (for men) for lass than $300

Old January 8th, 2019, 04:05 PM   #31
Ducati999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank06 View Post
Atlantic Motorsport Park in Nova Scotia:

680 miles/11 hours from my house. About the same as the trip to Mid Ohio. Just might have to come up north to ride!

Old January 8th, 2019, 04:28 PM   #32
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati999 View Post
Motorcycle closeouts.com has a lot of womens gear and even my 5 ft tall 96lb wife found gear at a great price there. They have Oxford full suits (for men) for lass than $300
I added that site to my favorites to just keep an eye on in general. I got the email that my RST suit shipped out today. I did some poking around after adouglas mentioned them. All the reviews I saw/read were absolutely glowing. Riders Discount had 1 left, the smallest size made, for 50% off. So, I jumped on it.

Old May 1st, 2019, 07:31 AM   #33
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
I added that site to my favorites to just keep an eye on in general. I got the email that my RST suit shipped out today. I did some poking around after adouglas mentioned them. All the reviews I saw/read were absolutely glowing. Riders Discount had 1 left, the smallest size made, for 50% off. So, I jumped on it.
So, @Koala.... how does it fit? Have you ridden in it yet? A good idea to get used to it before you hit the track.

Something I've found since wearing full leather gear pretty much all the time (street is jacket + pants... I don't wear a suit on the street) is that I feel more stable, supported and connected to the bike. On the rare occasions when I wear regular pants it feels odd.

Old May 1st, 2019, 02:23 PM   #34
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
So, @Koala.... how does it fit? Have you ridden in it yet? A good idea to get used to it before you hit the track.

Something I've found since wearing full leather gear pretty much all the time (street is jacket + pants... I don't wear a suit on the street) is that I feel more stable, supported and connected to the bike. On the rare occasions when I wear regular pants it feels odd.
I tried it on as soon as it arrived. I have not ridden in it, though. I was shocked at how well it fit. The arms only need shortened up around an inch, the legs a couple inches. I could wear it as is if needed. I have a leather tailor close by that has tons of reviews about what an awesome job she does on moto leathers. I'm going to take the suit and my AGV pants to her and let her do her magic.

I've been going back and forth on what I'm going to wear in August. Reason being, with TTD I can get away with wearing my AGV gear and zipping it together. That would make it easier to go to the little girl's room, and I could easily take off the jacket during breaks and whatnot to stay cool. If I did that, I would bring the RST as a backup just in case. Either way, I needed it since I can't wear the AGV gear at Mid O.

I've been a bad girl when it comes to gear this season so far. I gained a few pounds while being out of work for a couple weeks (gave my old job a polite "screw you"), so my armor doesn't fit under my jeans at the moment That will change soon enough, I'm a fire tech for a restoration company now and that is bust your bum work at times.

Old May 9th, 2019, 08:49 AM   #35
Ducati999

I am In for Palmer for Sun and Mon May 26 and 27. I have not yet figured out how to add my name to Andrews post. I will be running in Yellow group but feel that will be changing this season!

On another note, I just finished everything on my 748 to 916 restoration and will be registering the bike tomorrow May 10! Now I will have 2 bikes for the track again.

Old May 9th, 2019, 10:50 AM   #36
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
I've been going back and forth on what I'm going to wear in August. Reason being, with TTD I can get away with wearing my AGV gear and zipping it together. That would make it easier to go to the little girl's room, and I could easily take off the jacket during breaks and whatnot to stay cool. If I did that, I would bring the RST as a backup just in case. Either way, I needed it since I can't wear the AGV gear at Mid O.
You'll find that the one-piece is a lot less restrictive while riding on the track, because you're moving around on the bike a lot more than you are on the street (less a factor as a beginning rider, but true in general nevertheless). It's what you bought the thing for... might as well use it.

Old May 13th, 2019, 01:13 PM   #37
adouglas
Cat herder

Thompson International Speedway, May 12, 2019. Low 40s and constant rain.

Pretty sure I saw fish jumping in the puddle at the apex of Turn 3.

Good times, good times.....

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 13th, 2019, 06:57 PM   #38
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Some of the best times at the track have been in weather like like.

Depends on if you start a garage party or nah. I have meet many that need to be reminded that life is what you make of it.

ps... I miss Thompson, cool track, good memories.

Old May 28th, 2019, 12:50 PM   #39
adouglas
Cat herder

THE AMAZING MOVING SCHEDULE UPDATE POST for 2019

After 60 days you can't edit posts. So this post will be updated periodically and moved to the bottom of the thread.

Only showing independent track day organizations here. NYST also runs its own events, sometimes on the same day as a track day org. Visit http://www.nyst.com for their schedule.

Post up which days and what group you'll be riding in.

Red means confirmed, paid commitment
Blue means intent, yet to be confirmed

TTD/Razee as of January 2, 2019:

Heads up... Tony's pricing rewards advance planning. Membership is expensive compared to other organizations, but it gives you a hefty discount throughout the season. The membership pays for itself if you attend five days. It's always worked well for me; the tradeoff is the need to commit ahead of time to at least that many if you want it to pay off.

Tony has always offered pay-in-advance cash discounts. When you attend, bring cash in an unsealed envelope to pay for the next event. Same for memberships: way cheaper if you pay in cash for next year before the end of the season. Add up the pay-in-advance membership savings and grab the per-day cash discount throughout the season, and it pretty much pays for a whole track day at member rates.

Palmer, Thompson, NYST

For updates visit http://www.tonystrackdays.com

April 19,20 (Friday, Saturday)
Thompson, CT Clockwise

May 12,13,14
(Sunday, Monday, Tuesday - TUESDAY 5/14 IS A NON-SPORTBIKE DAY. VISIT THE TTD WEBSITE FOR MORE INFO)
Thompson, CT Clockwise @adouglas May 12 only

May 26,27 (Sunday, Monday)
Palmer, MA Counter Clockwise @adouglas both days, @Ducati999 both days

June 9,10 (Sunday, Monday)
Thompson, CT Clockwise

June 23,24 (Sunday, Monday)
New York Safety Track
UPTOWN (Counterclockwise) - Sunday
DOWNTOWN (Clockwise) - Monday

July 14,15 (Sunday, Monday)
Palmer, MA Clockwise

July 16 - Tues - Palmer TBD

August 4,5 (Sunday, Monday)
@Koala, @Ducati999, @csmith12
@adouglas

August 19 (Monday)
@Bigballsofpaint
@adouglas

THERE MAY BE A DAY ADDED AT LOUDON AUGUST 20 IF ENOUGH PEOPLE COMMIT.

August 20 (Tuesday)
@adouglas

Sept 1,2 (Sunday, Monday)
@adouglas

Sept 22 (Sunday)
Thomspon, CT Clockwise

Sept 23 (Monday RAZEE DAY Must Register with RAZEE's)
Thomspon, CT Clockwise

Team Pro Motion TENTATIVE schedule as of January 2, 2019
Pocono

For the full schedule and updates visit https://ridetpm.com

May 5-6 Pocono
May 17-18 Pocono

June 9-10 Pocono
June 22-23 Pocono

July 13-14 Pocono

August 3-4 Pocono

September 28-29 Pocono

Penguin Racing School as of January 2, 2019
Loudon, Canaan, Thompson and NYST

Note: Penguin is primarily a race school that also offers what they call "Track Experience" days. These are what the rest of us call a typical track day (i.e. not for racers).

Key:

A - Advanced
B - Basic License Certification
SPG - SPG Small Practice Group
TX - Track Experience
RP - LRRS Racer Practice
NESBC - New England Sport Bike Club Races
YNR - Youth & New Rider Program (new for 2019)
YNRI - Youth & New Rider Intro to NHMS (in conjunction with LRRS)

For details and full schedule visit http://www.penguinracing.com

April 26 NHMS - Loudon, NH A,B,TX,RP
May 17 NHMS - Loudon, NH A,B,TX,RP
May 31 - Fri. CMC - Canaan, NH YNR, SPG
June 1 - Sat CMC - Canaan, NH A,TX,RP,NESBC
June 12 NHMS - Loudon, NH A,B,TX
June 13 NHMS - Loudon, NH A,TX,RP
June 28 - Fri CMC - Canaan, NH YNR, SPG
June 29 - Sat CMC - Canaan, NH A,TX,RP,NESBC
July 15* Thompson, CT Kawasaki RTR*
July 26 NHMS - Loudon, NH A,B,TX,RP
August 11&12 NYST - Jefferson, NY A,TX
August 16 NHMS - Loudon, NH A,B,TX,RP
September 13 NHMS - Loudon, NH A,B,TX,RP
September 14 NHMS - Loudon, NH YNRI
September 15 NHMS - Loudon, NH A,TX,RP, Dealer Challenge, NESBC
October 4 NHMS - Loudon, NH A,B,TX,RP
December 6 Homestead, FL A,TX

Fishtail Riding School as of January 2, 2019

For details and full schedule visit https://www.fishtailridingschool.com/

Palmer, NHMS, Canaan, Tamworth

NHMS
Monday April 29th
Monday May 20th
Friday June 7th. (Cop day)
Monday July 29th
Monday September 9th
Monday October 7th

Canaan Motorsports Park
Sunday May 26
Saturday & Sunday July 20, 21

Palmer Motorsports Park
Monday Aug 26

Club Motorsports, Inc.
Monday & Tuesday June 10, 11

N2 Track Days as of January 5, 2019

For details and full schedule visit https://www.n2td.org

All dates are at NJMP

April 29 - Thunderbolt
May 20 - Thunderbolt
June 2,3 - Thunderbolt
June 30 - Lightning
July 1 - Lightning
October 5,6 - Thunderbolt

Old May 28th, 2019, 01:02 PM   #40
adouglas
Cat herder

Palmer was AWESOME last weekend!!!

Absolutely perfect conditions both days. Last year I got booted up to blue group (second fastest of the four groups) and for the first time, I felt like I belong there. Smoother and faster than I've ever ridden.

Heads up @csmith12 and @Koala: TTD days are selling out farther in advance this year. Keep your eyes open and get your slots for August lined up as soon as you're able. I've already reserved and paid for mine.

Chris, are you bringing Kevin? Anyone else? If we get enough people we might rent four garage bays, two on each side so we can ride through. Or two, if we get eight people or fewer. A bay holds four bikes. Heads up that the track pre-sold half the garage to car guys so bays are in short supply. I'll front the cost once I know who's coming. Garages are rented by the bay, $100 for both days. That breaks down to $25 per bike if we fill the bay, which isn't bad. Power is provided.
@Ducati999 I know you've got a lot of people who are saying they might make it but you know how that goes. Seen it, heard it, nobody's ever actually done it. Do what you can to get a commitment from them.