Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Cargo Space

Notices

Old May 19th, 2016, 06:52 AM   #1
ZeroGravity360
Just sittin on my stool..

Name: Amanda

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Girly & safe backpacks?

So this is my current backpack. I am replacing it because there is too much black on it and no designs to catch drivers attention.

This is the one I am absolutely in love with. It has designs and is very appealing to me. However I am concerned there is still too much dark colors.

This one is bright and girly (which I want) but it is not my favorite! *sad face*

What are your guys opinion? would the super dooper cute owl backpack be okay? What backpack do you guys ride with?
ZeroGravity360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2016, 06:57 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
If you like the owl one, get the owl one. A bit of added reflective tape solves the attention getting problem... if that is even possible. YMMV on that.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2016, 06:57 AM   #3
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
I ride with a grey jansport. If you wanna make it more visible, get neon yellow or add some reflective material.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2016, 07:00 AM   #4
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

I ride with a quick pick up one I got at Walmart, black and some silver. Sewed my MSF sticker in it so it has the reflection of that.

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2016, 07:06 AM   #5
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
I have a black backpack. I use a bungy net to hold it on the seat behind me, unless it is very full and heavy (like when I had 2 laptops, my lunch and change of clothes in it) then I just put it on my back.

I'm not that concerned about having a bright back, if people aren't looking in front of them I don't care how much bright stuff you have on they aren't going to see you. Talk to a fireman, big red or lime green fire trucks with flashing lights get rear quite frequently.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2016, 12:31 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

/moved to cargo space

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2016, 12:37 PM   #7
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

oh man, that black with the green pipping on a green bike with black accents should be "FABULOUS!!!!"

I typed in "reflective patch" in Ebay, a bunch of stuff came back, granted lots of skulls and "ungurly" stuff. But some roses and even just lightening bolts.

you don't need alot, just something that makes a driver say, "what is that thing floating above the road?" oh it's a person on a motorcycle that I shouldn't run over.

I'm not the one to recomend going full on gurlie, I think the mossy oak with pink pipping says, "soft and smells good, but don't test me"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mossy-Oak-17...0AAOxy77hSDYgb

Old May 19th, 2016, 01:07 PM   #8
lizardywizard
green stig

Name: V

Motorcycle(s): '15 Ninja 300 ABS (Hurricane)

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
oh man, that black with the green pipping on a green bike with black accents should be "FABULOUS!!!!"
That's exactly what I have and I think it looks great That backpack is very similar to mine, I just have the one by Fuel.

I have a big ol' reflective sign on it that's made from one of my "STUDENT DRIVER" magnets cut in half, back from when I was learning to drive. They should really make ones that say "STUDENT RIDER"... but I figured the first word gives people the idea, and it's yellow and black and bold.

The rest of my gear is hi-vis so I figure that's probably the best I can do. People still don't notice me that much :/
lizardywizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2016, 01:14 PM   #9
ZeroGravity360

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardywizard View Post
That's exactly what I have and I think it looks great That backpack is very similar to mine, I just have the one by Fuel.

I have a big ol' reflective sign on it that's made from one of my "STUDENT DRIVER" magnets cut in half, back from when I was learning to drive. They should really make ones that say "STUDENT RIDER"... but I figured the first word gives people the idea, and it's yellow and black and bold.

The rest of my gear is hi-vis so I figure that's probably the best I can do. People still don't notice me that much :/
SERIOUSLY?! My friend and I were JUST discussing trying to get "student rider" jackets but you dont want to hear them over your gear in a 90 degree day, can you PLEASE share a picture?! I would love to see it! Where do you get one?

Old May 19th, 2016, 01:17 PM   #10
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Ah, "safe" backpacks.

No such thing. Dress for the slide, not the ride. You're only thinking of one aspect of safety: Being seen.

Before you ask, yes, I do wear a pack. But, I also wear a hard shelled spine protector under it. Why? Should I go down, the hard shell spine protector will "hopefully" keep my back from bending it ways it shouldn't with an extra ball of "stuff" strapped on my back.

Some of you are students and you will have hard things in your pack like binders, books, maybe even a laptop. Even shoes or wads of cloths will cause your back to bend in odd ways..... Consider extra spinal protection if you're going to wear a pack....the foam "back protectors" that come in some jackets don't cut the mustard. I have personally seen someone go off the road, over the edge and hit BACK FIRST into a tree, get up and walk away because he was wearing a back protector. Books/laptops/whatever else hard you have is the equivalent of a tree if you go down and land on your back, even clothes only compress so far.

Something like this:

Safety speech over!

You could get something like this that has retroreflective parts sewn in for maximum visibility. On sale, $50 right now.

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/ma...c-a29db3983bf5

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 19th, 2016, 01:23 PM   #11
ZeroGravity360

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
Ah, "safe" backpacks.

No such thing. Dress for the slide, not the ride. You're only thinking of one aspect of safety: Being seen.

Before you ask, yes, I do wear a pack. But, I also wear a hard shelled spine protector under it. Why? Should I go down, the hard shell spine protector will "hopefully" keep my back from bending it ways it shouldn't with an extra ball of "stuff" strapped on my back.

Some of you are students and you will have hard things in your pack like binders, books, maybe even a laptop. Even shoes or wads of cloths will cause your back to bend in odd ways..... Consider extra spinal protection if you're going to wear a pack....the foam "back protectors" that come in some jackets don't cut the mustard. I have personally seen someone go off the road, over the edge and hit BACK FIRST into a tree, get up and walk away because he was wearing a back protector. Books/laptops/whatever else hard you have is the equivalent of a tree if you go down and land on your back, even clothes only compress so far.

Something like this:

Safety speech over!

You could get something like this that has retroreflective parts sewn in for maximum visibility. On sale, $50 right now.

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/ma...c-a29db3983bf5

uh not sure I said anywhere in here i dont wear gear lol! I have a Speed and strength throttle body jacket with CE armor in the elbows, shoulders and back. I also have sidi lei boots. the only thing i "shouldn't" ride in is jeans but I am working on getting kavlar leggings next month. I meant safe as being seen safe, bright "omg my eyes! wtf is that thing in the road?! oh thats a person on a motorcycle" safe

Old May 19th, 2016, 01:31 PM   #12
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity360 View Post
uh not sure I said anywhere in here i dont wear gear lol! I have a Speed and strength throttle body jacket with CE armor in the elbows, shoulders and back. I also have sidi lei boots. the only thing i "shouldn't" ride in is jeans but I am working on getting kavlar leggings next month. I meant safe as being seen safe, bright "omg my eyes! wtf is that thing in the road?! oh thats a person on a motorcycle" safe
I never said you didn't wear gear. I never accused you of not wearing gear. I recommended wearing a back protector under your backpack. Dress for the slide, not the ride.

It's something you didn't mention at all other than being seen and many riders don't consider it until it's too late. The CE armor in your jacket really isn't good for much of anything other than slide protection for your back.

I know exactly what you meant by "safe". However, there are far more aspects to "safe" than simply being seen. I offered another aspect....for your safety.

Why so jumpy?

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2016, 02:13 PM   #13
lizardywizard
green stig

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
SERIOUSLY?! My friend and I were JUST discussing trying to get "student rider" jackets but you dont want to hear them over your gear in a 90 degree day, can you PLEASE share a picture?! I would love to see it! Where do you get one?
I just cut a "student driver" magnet in half to show just the "student" part, haha. I don't remember exactly where I got it but you can Google "student driver magnets".

Sadly they don't seem to make student rider ones. But you might be able to get one of the sites to make a custom one.

Mine looks like this.

The magnets can be cut with regular scissors, they're very thin, and I used a hole punch to make holes in it to attach it to my bag with pins - works out fine.

Also got a caution flag in there - less than two bucks at Home Depot or whatever hardware store you have near you.

Old May 19th, 2016, 04:44 PM   #14
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I have a CE Level 2 back protector insert in my jacket (Forcefield). The jacket is leather and structured enough that the protector isn't going anywhere.

For the pack... I've never been happy with regular backpacks for various reasons, ranging from stability to flapping straps to comfort. For quite a while I used my hard-shell tank bag's backpack configuration.

Then, a year or two ago, I succumbed to whim and bought what I had heard is the absolute best motorcycling backpack, the Kriega R25.

It costs a lot.

It. Is. PERFECT.

Utterly comfortable, easy to put on and take off even when wearing tight leathers and race gauntlets... and the unique suspension system really does keep all the weight off your shoulders somehow.

Worth every penny, but really hard to justify so I fully understand if people flame me for buying one.

All I can say is, if you can stomach the price, you will not be disappointed.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2016, 06:59 PM   #15
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
I'd say the super cute owl backpack would be fine! I'd probably add some reflective tape somehow to it, but you can get that in any color you like. I'm not sure what shapes but I'm sure it's out there. I need to take some of what came with my rim-tape and add it to my jacket (which doesn't have anything reflective on it).

You could probably get reflective-tape-dots to go inside the little circles which would help make you more visible and not mess up the cute owls.

Me, I have a Kriega 10L tailpack which is black and totally doesn't help visibility but I like it.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2016, 08:01 PM   #16
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
You could probably get reflective-tape-dots to go inside the little owl eyes which would help make you more visible and not mess up the cute owls.
Fixed it for you.

Old May 20th, 2016, 02:21 AM   #17
lizardywizard
green stig

MOTM - May '16
As someone whose helmet is covered in glow in the dark eyeballs, I heartily endorse creepy glowing owl eyes.

Old May 20th, 2016, 07:39 AM   #18
ZeroGravity360

Quote:
I just cut a "student driver" magnet in half to show just the "student" part, haha. I don't remember exactly where I got it but you can Google "student driver magnets".

Sadly they don't seem to make student rider ones. But you might be able to get one of the sites to make a custom one.

Mine looks like this.

The magnets can be cut with regular scissors, they're very thin, and I used a hole punch to make holes in it to attach it to my bag with pins - works out fine.

Also got a caution flag in there - less than two bucks at Home Depot or whatever hardware store you have near you.
Honestly I think I am going to go with this option until I can afford to upgrade my backpack, You guys might be right, my green backpack would look nice with my bike!

Old May 20th, 2016, 09:20 AM   #19
CaliGrrl

Glowing eyes- love it!

Old August 2nd, 2016, 10:46 AM   #20
ZeroGravity360

So I decided on getting this one:

It's purple (my fave color!!!) and has plenty of white on it. I am going to sew some reflective strips on it (not sure where yet) and then try to water proof it as good as possible. Any one know how to waterproof a non waterproof backpack?

Old August 2nd, 2016, 11:16 AM   #21
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

We use this on our outdoor pillows and such. http://www.thompsonswaterseal.com/wa...al-fabric-seal

Mixed results on certain "natural" fabrics though, seems to work better on synthetic blends. Make sure you test it on the bottom of the backpack and look for any adverse effects before spraying the entire thing.

Old August 2nd, 2016, 11:26 AM   #22
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Then, a year or two ago, I succumbed to whim and bought what I had heard is the absolute best motorcycling backpack, the Kriega R25.

It costs a lot.

It. Is. PERFECT.
I also have the Kriega R25 and recommend it.

Old August 2nd, 2016, 11:32 AM   #23
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
Ah, "safe" backpacks.

I can't advocate for back protectors enough, I wouldn't be walking without one. I'll ride without a jacket to commute but I won't ride without a back protector/helmet. It's a commonly overlooked part of safety gear. Rash is uncomfortable but a broken back is life changing

Also I'd go for the OGIO mach series or the kreiga, they're more comfortable while riding

Old August 2nd, 2016, 01:06 PM   #24
CaliGrrl

Nice backpack choice! I'm a fan of purple, too.

Old August 2nd, 2016, 01:30 PM   #25
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Get a waterproof back back.

Old August 2nd, 2016, 01:31 PM   #26
ZeroGravity360

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
Get a waterproof back back.
Cheap is the name of the game lol

Old August 2nd, 2016, 01:33 PM   #27
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Cheap is the name of the game lol
Expensive and a nuisance when your textbooks, laptop, phone, or other items get soaked

Old August 2nd, 2016, 01:35 PM   #28
ZeroGravity360

@lizardywizard

Saw this and thought of you :-p

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Keep-Stay-Ba...1WZgMl&vxp=mtr

might end up getting it

Old August 2nd, 2016, 01:36 PM   #29
ZeroGravity360

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
Expensive and a nuisance when your textbooks, laptop, phone, or other items get soaked
true... but I dont know what else to do. no way can I spend $80+ on a back pack and most of the time they are all black with no reflective on it

Old August 2nd, 2016, 01:38 PM   #30
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
At least get a dry bag to use inside your backpack for your important stuff. Check out sea-to-summit bags. I've heard good things about them.

Old August 2nd, 2016, 01:47 PM   #31
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Ziplock gallon-sized freezer bags are pretty darned handy. I use them as packing organizers all the time.

I'll bet if you look around and experiment, you'll find other cheap and effective waterproofing solutions for larger items.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2016, 02:25 PM   #32
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
I'm sure if you zip lock your items that you want dry it will work, but in my experience I found that spending more the first time can save you money.

You get what you pay for (usually).

Old August 2nd, 2016, 02:56 PM   #33
CaliGrrl

Zip-locks, hadn't considered that. Cheap and easy.

Kayak stores will have dry-bags which will last longer but will cost a bit. (they work, though)

Old August 2nd, 2016, 03:30 PM   #34
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Ziploc bags are ok short term for small objects. If you plan on carrying larger items though, like a laptop, definitely go for a good dry bag.

Old August 2nd, 2016, 05:12 PM   #35
lizardywizard
green stig

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
@lizardywizard

Saw this and thought of you :-p

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Keep-Stay-Ba...1WZgMl&vxp=mtr

might end up getting it
Awesome! I might just get one, not that I expect anyone around here to actually know what 100ft is

Liking your new helmet too, if that one in the icon is yours!

Old August 2nd, 2016, 07:38 PM   #36
ZeroGravity360

Quote:
Awesome! I might just get one, not that I expect anyone around here to actually know what 100ft is

Liking your new helmet too, if that one in the icon is yours!
It is ! It's just a "saw blade mohawk" from ebay. Good one will cost you a out $20. My friend hates it but I love it

Old August 4th, 2016, 07:45 AM   #37
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Hey look up that waterproof spray folks spray on tents... Guaranteed waterproof
Or you can get the more expensive flex seal spray, also guaranteed

You are now waterproofed with the bag you like and already bought

Old August 4th, 2016, 11:23 AM   #38
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

Never trust a spray if you need things to stay dry. Gore-Tex for clothing (assuming you want the breathability), plastic or rubber for anything else (including backpacks). If you do go with a spray on the bag, I'd put important things inside plastic ziplocks inside it.

Thin plastic bags often have small holes in them too, so double bag if it's really important.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2016, 11:26 AM   #39
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralgha View Post
Never trust a spray if you need things to stay dry. Gore-Tex for clothing (assuming you want the breathability), plastic or rubber for anything else (including backpacks). If you do go with a spray on the bag, I'd put important things inside plastic ziplocks inside it.

Thin plastic bags often have small holes in them too, so double bag if it's really important.
Agreed... But some of the new blends of sprays do work very well. However, zippers and other non fabric areas (expandable fabrics) can never be made waterproof. It's a backpack, expect things to get wet no matter what you do. There is no magic wand here.

Old August 4th, 2016, 11:39 AM   #40
motodancer
ninjette.org member

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 08 250

Try the NeverWet stuff or whatever it's called
motodancer is offline   Reply With Quote