ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Notices

Old February 15th, 2021, 05:17 PM   #1
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Food-supply control

I'm posting here as place-holder for future discussions. I'm seeings signs in futures, options and spot market that may result in:

- food supply-chain issues
- supply manipulation by food processors
- market manipulation by wholesalers and retailers

We'll see how things play out.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2021, 06:12 PM   #2
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Can you share any data with us? Any specifics on what you are seeing?
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2021, 08:12 PM   #3
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Yeah, let me write up some stuff. There's a time-delay between between commodities and retail-products. There isn't always a 1:1 correlation. Over time there's also different allocation of raw-materials. Such as dent corn, flour corn, flint corn, pod corn, popcorn, sweet corn and what lines they're being fed into.

Old May 14th, 2021, 05:16 PM   #4
aeson.kyden
ninjette.org member

Name: aeson

Motorcycle(s): Yomaha

Appreciate your work senior!!
aeson.kyden is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2021, 08:38 PM   #5
Snake

The cost of food is certainly going up. I might add that it seems like the cost of everything is going up.

Old July 20th, 2021, 03:02 PM   #6
Snake

Store shelves are sporadically empty.

Old January 1st, 2022, 02:28 PM   #7
Snake

The supply chain still has not recovered. They are slowly but surely getting all the ships of off the California Coast offloaded.

Old January 7th, 2022, 11:53 AM   #8
DannoXYZ

Cost of my cat-foods has increased tremendously:
- Wellness Seafood Favourites variety-pack, grain-free, case 24 $16 -> $32 in last month
- Tiki Cat Pate Variety Pack Wet Cat Food, case 12 $8 -> $16 in last month
Now, these and most other cat foods are "out of stock" at many of retailers I visit:
- Petsmart
- Petco
- PetClub
- Pet Food Express (local Berkeley outfit)
- Amazon
- Chewy.com
I'm researching making my own cat foods. I've already been making my own dog foods for decades. Recipe for optimum carb/protein/veggie mix:
- pressure-cook 90-min chicken/beef/pork/bear/raccoon/squirrel/rabbit bones
- 2-cups brown rice
- 2-lbs meat variety chicken/beef/pork/bear/raccoon/squirrel/rabbit
- 2-lbs grated carrots,beans,squash,bell-peppers,etc.
- 4-cups chicken/veggie broth
Dump everything into pressure-cooker after bones are done and simmer for 15-mins. Let cool and freeze in weekly tubs except for one current serving.

Here's critters on shopping trip...

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 7th, 2022, 05:57 PM   #9
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Cute critters! I may need to work on making our cat's food, too, since the Fancy Feast she likes makes her toss her cookies. I found another brand that seems mostly acceptable, but it would probably be healthier to make it myself. Apparently the trick is making the texture right.

I tried our cat on chopped giblets, and at first it was ok but then she turns up her nose at it. I'm not sure what else one puts in cat food but she doesn't seem to do well with just meat.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2022, 07:53 AM   #10
Snake

Looks like one big happy family.

Old January 9th, 2022, 01:49 PM   #11
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Yah ! I feel about 80% of all the cats in the entire housing district here and it'a a big expense we go through at least 3 30 lb bags of kibbles and bits dry cat food a week and obviously with all that cat food out there the local Racoon comes by and cleans up each night ! LOL....I have counted over 25 cats in the yard at one time.... most feral , all hungry..so I feed them.
but the cat food has gone up as well and it's availability has disappeared at walmart used to be no problem but I haven't seen any 30lb bags in at least 2 weeks. so yes the supply chain is still screwed up badly
walmart is suffering from several bare shelves for no reason and that is where we normally shop for everything.
... they were out of milk a week ago so I just picked up several gallons at the local store that had the same brand and made a mistake of picking up a sequoia brand gallon of milk it was tainted so bad with the cleaning chemical
they use that I could not drink it...pissed me off ! i'll never buy that stuff again !
getting the ships unloaded at the docks in southern cal. shouldn't be all that hard but it is a major problem here 3 month wait for my RX4 because of it !
.... that bottle neck is hurting the entire nation and our worthless governor does nothing !
it seams the empire builders are not done playing around with our economy just yet.... American greed rains Supreme! you can't blame this on China or europe ... it's pure all american greed that is causing it !
welcome to 2022 !
Bob.......

Old January 22nd, 2022, 10:10 AM   #12
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I been wondering if I could make my puppy food cheaper than what he eats now, just haven’t added the costs or had the time... and posting here instead of figuring it out ��

Old January 22nd, 2022, 11:42 AM   #13
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Personally I doubt it unless you live on a ranch and can butcher your own cattle
...buying meat of any kind is expensive and making your dog food out of nothing but a few scraps and alot of oatmeal is not a good diet for the dog
.... quality dog food is more expensive than say friskies but it is better quality
just read the label of ingredients...
a dog is a critter that is an omnivore BUT they are PRIMARILY a meat eater like cats... My dog will eat anything I give him so I have to be careful not to give him stuff that he will be barfing up in an hour ! but he will eat it weather it is good for him or not ! it's up to you to feed him properly ! to keep him healthy
....one thing that gets my puppy is tomatoes they do not like him !
or peas... and when I see packaged dogfood with alot of green nuggets in it
i know that it will make him sick if he eats too much of it....
he's just a big o'l ranch dog that got moved to the city and he still thinks the whole block is his to bark at ! LOL....
i buy Kibbles and bits for him, years ago we tried cheaper stuff but it made him sick all the time... so we switched to several different brands and found that kibbles and bits is the best for him and supplement it with a can of canned dog food about every other day....he needs meat content in his diet just like I do... LOL
of course he gets about half of what is on my plate but that is not enough for a 160 lb. dog but some times that makes him sick... i've learned what not to give him.... but screwup every once in a while ! because he "wants it sooo bad !" "barkin bacon" is for when he can't have what I'm having ( like lasagna or spaghetti ! LOL )....
and he will beg me out of my dirty socks for ice-cream ! LOL....
Bob......

Old January 22nd, 2022, 12:38 PM   #14
DannoXYZ

"We taught a lion to eat tofu", "cough, cough"

This is from "Popplers" episode of Futurama. Most hilarious one ever!!! Pokes fun @ crunchy granola tree-hugging bark-eating smelly hippies!!!

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; January 23rd, 2022 at 01:06 PM.

Old January 23rd, 2022, 09:38 AM   #15
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

"We taught a lion to eat tofu", "cough, cough"
Ok..... but that's like my wife getting me to eat brussel sprouts ! I'll eat it but I don't like it ! LOL....
yes chicken and fish do work but it's not beef or venison or rabbit or even mouse....
but most dogs are happy if their tummy's full they really don't care all that much what it is most of the time... but it's fantastic if it tastes good too !
.... that reminds me of the time my wife made trail cookies there was everything but the kitchen sink in those things and they tasted like chocolate chip and bacon cookies ! they did NOT get old.... she made like 2 dozen and they were gone in 2 days ! LOL....
.... if you think feeding dogs and cats is hard try feeding a ranch where you have pigs goats horses and cows.... and in the winter you gott'a dry feed them because there is no grass or anything they can munch....
go by any ranch and you will see all the tree limbs trimmed to a certain level
where the cows can only reach so high to get the limbs off.... it's normal for them to supplement their diet when there is not much out there.... but you will play hell getting any other hay than alfalfa and oat hay ! that is why grain is so important.... without grain they will all loose weight over the winter.
because normally they would migrate to where the better food is fences not only keep them in but stop them from doing that.... and they will starve if you don't watch them closely !
We feed ourselves really well most of the time as humans but the critters under our care do not fair as well most of the time.... that's why around here they eat better than I do most of the time..... admittedly it's comercial food which isn't the best... but if I can eat it and it's not objectional and it doesn't make me sick it should be good enough for these guys ! LOL
we go through 3 - 30lb bags of Kibbles and bits cat food every month probably more but that comes to mind I just get more when we are getting low... and that is because I am feeding the entire neighborhood full of cats and the family of racoons and a skunk and opossum now and then.
that Racoon cleans up everything everywhere he misses nothing ! LOL...
Bob.....

Old January 23rd, 2022, 01:07 PM   #16
DannoXYZ

Shoot, I edited my earlier post instead of quoting it here. Bah!

Old January 23rd, 2022, 03:31 PM   #17
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

LOL I wish I could say that's never happened to me.....but I can't !~ LOL

Bob.......