ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 23rd, 2010, 09:51 PM   #1
Minnesotah
Did you get him?

Name: Myke

Motorcycle(s): 2009 2fiddy SE

Sweeeeeet!

Pre stripped carb from factory! Do you pay extra for that?

On a serious note took my fairings off to do the shimming, Bought all the tools and everything. That way i didn't strip any of the carb screws. All of the carb screws looked perfect but the top left screw which looked like someone got pist while making my bike.....

Now what do i do?
Minnesotah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2010, 09:52 PM   #2
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

Remove the carbs from the bike, get a dremel and cut a slit into the screw, then just use a standard flat head and remove that sucker.

Tough luck mate.

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2010, 09:55 PM   #3
Minnesotah
Did you get him?

On that note, I might just have a shop install a jet kit... That way i don't have to worry about it....

I gotta do something though, this thing has major hesitations at the start. To the point where you throttle it and it seems like it wants to die then it picks up speed and goes.

Old July 23rd, 2010, 09:57 PM   #4
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kit

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 1996 Yahmaha YZ 125... Both in Blue the coolest color

I would say Dremel it very carfully about 1/2 way down the head, then use a flat to get it out. if done right it can be done with the carbs inplace. I stripped mine so I know it can be done, or the other (more time consuming) way I did the2 hard to get at screws was to take a NEW hacksaw blade and break it off about an inch and a half long and hand cut the groves for the flat head in the screw. Then go to home depot and get allen head screws... there is a thread in here about which ones to use they are cheap I replaced all 8 of my screws with them.

Old July 23rd, 2010, 10:25 PM   #5
kkim

is there any way to get an impact wrench on that screw head? needle nose vise grips to grab it?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2010, 08:06 AM   #6
Minnesotah
Did you get him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
is there any way to get an impact wrench on that screw head? needle nose vise grips to grab it?
Yes and no, I mean i guess it would be easier to remove the whole carb system. I am a trailer mechanic so i have a background with this kind of stuff. Although i have never really worked with small carbs or motorcycles so i don't want to get in over my head.

Old July 24th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #7
kkim

okay, most people would rather walk around the world the long way (isn't it long gong both ways?) than remove the carbs from the bike.

I agree, removing the carbs to get that screw out is the best solution. replace it with hex head screws when you do or be sure to always use a JIS screwdriver in the future when working on those carb screws.

if you are going to remove the carbs, I recommend installing a jet kit. really easy once you get the carbs off the bike.

Old July 24th, 2010, 12:25 PM   #8
Minnesotah
Did you get him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
okay, most people would rather walk around the world the long way (isn't it long gong both ways?) than remove the carbs from the bike.

I agree, removing the carbs to get that screw out is the best solution. replace it with hex head screws when you do or be sure to always use a JIS screwdriver in the future when working on those carb screws.

if you are going to remove the carbs, I recommend installing a jet kit. really easy once you get the carbs off the bike.
I bought all the JiS screw driver parts that where recommended on a different thread. The problem that i had, is that one of the screws came factory stripped.

Old July 24th, 2010, 01:36 PM   #9
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesotah View Post
I bought all the JiS screw driver parts that where recommended on a different thread. The problem that i had, is that one of the screws came factory stripped.
great, but you made no mention of already having the JIS screwdrivers in your other posts. just trying to save you more headaches by mentioning them. I fully understand one of your original screws came fubared from the factory.

if you're so great with tools (and it does sound like you are ) and working on the bike, why are you even considering letting a shop install a jet kit? From what I've read, shops will install the kit w/o even tuning after installation and leave the fine tuning to you anyway. unless you find a shop willing to fine tune it (at no extra cost) or dyno it while doing the install, I think you would better off learning how to rejet it yourself so you can work on it to fine tune latter.