ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 7th, 2008, 02:19 PM   #1
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

Name: Jody

Motorcycle(s): EX250J9

tires

My bike has Dunlops, and I'm pretty sure they're the set that came on it. Sometimes I can feel the rear tire slipping a little (even though it has good tread) and I want to replace my tires with something a lot stickier. Any recommendations?
sm0kediver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2008, 02:27 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Two highly recommended replacement tires for the 1st-gen Ninja 250 are the Dunlop GT501's, and the Pirelli Sport Demons. In terms of stickiness, longetivity, feel, etc., they are on reasonably equal terms. The one hitch is that the 501's are a little taller than the stock tire, and in fact will interfere with the front fender. What folks do is slightly raise that fender by drilling new mounting holes on it. The Sport Demons do not require the fender to be raised.

Personally, I went through 2 sets of the Sport Demons on our 2004 and liked them quite a bit. I've got GT501's on the new 2008 (they came with them stock), but I'm not sure what I will replace them with when they wear out.

There is a full list of tire choices up at this page.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #3
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

Name: Jody

Motorcycle(s): EX250J9

Thanks. The Pirelli looks like what I need.
sm0kediver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2008, 08:40 PM   #4
JCCJMM_
ninjette.org member

Name: John-Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

If you haven't bought new tires yet, give the Pirelli Diablos a look. I recently put a set on my 07. Paid I think $105 for both front/rear including shipping (cannot remember who I ordered from, just googled it to find lowest price). They are MUCH better than the OEM tires in every aspect. And they look better too!
JCCJMM_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2008, 09:27 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Can you confirm the model Pirellis you were able to fit up? I wasn't aware that the Diablos were available in sizes that would fit the Ninjette. If they are, that's great news!

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old August 19th, 2008, 07:02 AM   #6
JCCJMM_
ninjette.org member

They are OEM sizes:
100/80-16 front
130/80-16 rear

Here is a product listing. I was able to find them about $10 lower elsewhere, just don't remember where.

http://www.bikebandit.com/product/13831

Old August 19th, 2008, 07:47 AM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Nice find! Post up after you've had some miles on them with how they feel. I'd imagine that they'd be significantly stickier than the stock tires, but if it's using Pirelli's sport-touring compound, wear is probably pretty good in addition.

Old August 19th, 2008, 09:36 AM   #8
JCCJMM_
ninjette.org member

Only a few hundred miles, but here are a few first impressions:

Made the bike harder to push around. Feels like more tire is on the ground. Tires being more soft the reason? I am not really sure.

Bike feels more fluid in turns. Tread pattern seems to allow for more contact patch through turns. May just be my imagination.

Not as easy for back tire to break loose when braking/engine braking. Also seems to be a decent wet traction tire.

I will be anxious to see how well they hold up. My stock Dunlops had only 2k miles and had about 50% treadwear left. But.......being able to mount and balance my own tires makes me worry a little less about tire life.

Old August 26th, 2008, 11:33 PM   #9
247Blackout
*vroom vroom*

Name: Jnet

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250

Wow, you just found me my new set of tires! I have sport demons on my bike right now, and going to be replacing the rear soon with the GT501. Hmmm...will try the Diablos next. Too bad I don't really think I feel that much of a difference in tires or else I would write up a report on it.
247Blackout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2008, 09:28 AM   #10
djpharoah
\m/

Name: Mesh

Motorcycle(s): CBR600F3 Smokin Joes

Aren't the diablos scooter tires? and also aren't they a bit lower profile as in 100/80-16 vs 100/90-16 which is stock?

Let us know how they work out for you as I too want to replace my dunlops with something a lot stickier to the road.
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #11
Artood2s
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Arturo

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (The fast color)

For what my newbie experience is worth (not much ), I didn't particularly like the Dunlops that came with my 08 250R. Not very confidence inspiring in low-grip situations. I replaced them with a set of BT-016's, but that is really not a fair comparison, so I won't even get to that.

Have heard nothing but good things about the sport demons.
Artood2s is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2008, 09:52 AM   #12
djpharoah
\m/

Name: Mesh

Motorcycle(s): CBR600F3 Smokin Joes

Yeah my stock dunlops, bless their souls, don't do that well in turns etc. I have had a few butt puckering moments when taking long sweeping turns when it feels like the rear is on the verge of breaking free and I ride conservatively.

I think I will get the sport demons - just gotta find a place that will mount them and balance them for cheap. I can remove them from my bike and take them to probably make them cheaper.
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2008, 10:08 AM   #13
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpharoah View Post
Yeah my stock dunlops, bless their souls, don't do that well in turns etc.
Makes sense. The Dunlops on the '08 (GT501's) are worlds better than the Dunlop K630's that came stock on most of the 1st-gen ninjettes. The 501's were actually a common upgrade on the 1st-gen if someone wanted to take their bike to the track. The K630's seem to be good for keeping the rim from scraping on the road beneath them, that's about it.

Old January 2nd, 2009, 04:59 PM   #14
Erin_S
ninjette.org member

Name: Susan

Motorcycle(s): Gix

Anyone know what the stickiest tires are for the EX250? I bought MT-75's because I heard they're the best... anyone know of a better gripping option?

Please, just about grip.
Erin_S is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2009, 10:58 PM   #15
LDS
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Dewayne

Motorcycle(s): EX250, EX500, FZ6, SV650, FLSTC, YZ400, LC4

I'm really interested to know how the Diablos react compared to either the GT501s or the Sport Demons when they're pushed really hard, like on the track.

I've been running mainly the Sport Demons, but tried a GT501 front near the end of summer. I found it to have a bit more front end chatter than the Pirellis when cornering really hard.
LDS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2009, 11:01 PM   #16
Alex
ninjette.org dude

This review had the Sport Demons at the top of the list for stickiness, at least in the beginning before the rear started to get slick. Their testers did get the fastest track time with the Pirellis.

The MT75's aren't in this comparison, so unfortunately it's not a head-to-head deal.

Old January 2nd, 2009, 11:18 PM   #17
Erin_S
ninjette.org member

Name: Susan

Motorcycle(s): Gix

Well, doing it this way... has anyone HAD a set of MT-75's that they've pushed vs any of the tires in this test? That way I can use one data point against another...
Erin_S is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2009, 11:47 PM   #18
FlamingYellowInsanity
Too sexy for roadrash

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250, 2007 Lance GS-R 150 (racing modified scooter), 1980 Honda CB750K project

Well, I just got a Diablo Sccooter tire for the rear on mine (it was that or the stock tire at the shop I go to) and it feels TONS better. I have leaned over as far as I care to and it felt like the bike would scrape (actually did once or twice) before the tire even THOUGH of loosing tracking. The bike is also extremely flickable into corners and I feel that it is partially due to the tire now being round again (old on had worn out to semi-flat) and partially due to the tread/compound/etc. I can't wait to see what it feels like with 2 new tires!

It handles wonderfully, though the tires are only "P?" rated to 93mph, which has me a little bit warry of them, though it does say 93mph max sustained speed, so a short burst here and there over that isn't likely to kill them or anything, I think, not that I ride that fast except once in a great while for a few seconds, like to pass someone or something.

Just my thoughts on the Diablo.

Travis

Old January 8th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #19
cwb48
Mature motorcyclist

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, blue

Avon?

I wish someone here would try the Avon Road riders, which rated well in the tire test previously mentioned, and are quite a bit cheaper that the Pirellis. I just bought a set of Sport Demons for next year, but would have tried the Avons if there was some first hand information available on them.

Chris
cwb48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2009, 10:31 AM   #20
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I was very surprised with that rating. Every other review online of the Road Riders describes them as a touring tire, totally different market from the Sport Demons. I can't explain why Bike rated them so highly. Take it for what its worth, but Avon was the only British company in that comparo, and it's a review from one of the largest British bike mags.

Old July 26th, 2009, 09:40 PM   #21
Mileater
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Wallace

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

I will be getting new tires soon. I would like to go bigger to GT501 but am concerned about unsprung weight. It would be nice to know which tire is lighter weight, the BT45 or the GT501?
I currently have MT75's and love them. The only reason I want to go bigger is I keep parking next to ZX9's and their tire makes mine look so tiny. I just don't want to give up performance and a smooth ride for a larger tire with more unsprung weight.

Old September 13th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #22
Strider
Back on the Black!

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (Black)

Opinions?
Pirelli Sport Demons or Perilli Diablos ... which is best on a bike used as Commute/Tour?

Old September 13th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #23
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mileater View Post
I will be getting new tires soon. I would like to go bigger to GT501 but am concerned about unsprung weight. It would be nice to know which tire is lighter weight, the BT45 or the GT501?
I currently have MT75's and love them. The only reason I want to go bigger is I keep parking next to ZX9's and their tire makes mine look so tiny. I just don't want to give up performance and a smooth ride for a larger tire with more unsprung weight.
You are aware that by going larger, you lose quite a bit of the "Flickability" which makes the ninjette such a terror in the twisties. I believe that Kelly went bigger for a while and went back to the stock size.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #24
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #25
sprale
Dead-thread Necromancer!

Name: Levon

Motorcycle(s): K5 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
You are aware that by going larger, you lose quite a bit of the "Flickability" which makes the ninjette such a terror in the twisties. I believe that Kelly went bigger for a while and went back to the stock size.
I've gone up a size front and rear with minimal loss in 'flickability' as opposed to stock. It's a softer ride, but still feels more agile than any larger bike.
sprale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2009, 07:36 PM   #26
emt250
2 Wheel Newb

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

I'm looking into a new set of tires as well, as the stock ones aren't that great. I definitely want something that will last for a while and will keep the ride height close to the stock height. A little taller or a little shorter wouldn't kill me either way. Maybe sport demons or mt-75's. The demon scooter tires look interesting, will look into em for sure.

Old September 17th, 2009, 09:32 AM   #27
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

As a general rule... The more sticky (better grip) a tire is, the shorter the lifespan. That was the whole reason behind the dual compound tires that Bridgestone made years ago, now you can get dual and multi compound from several manufacturers.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #28
bobaab
ninjette.org member

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Opinions?
Pirelli Sport Demons or Perilli Diablos ... which is best on a bike used as Commute/Tour?
I use my bike for the same reasons, I only get aggressive on on-ramps :P

But I didn't feel like switching tires every 5000 miles with those other aggressive tires so I went with the Kenda K671's. They are a touring tire but they have been great so far. Very good grip, much more stable then stock in highway speed turns, and good wet traction tested in the only time I got caught in the rain besides the MSF course...I'm enjoying them so far. They cost just over $100 from Dennis Kirk for the set.
bobaab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2009, 08:41 PM   #29
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Opinions?
i chose the demons myself but am not sure if these are your best commute/touring tire choice. i love them and haven't taken them anywhere near the edge of the envelope.....yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprale View Post
I've gone up a size front and rear with minimal loss in 'flickability' as opposed to stock. It's a softer ride, but still feels more agile than any larger bike.
i noticed a small change in steering transition too, BUT the '08 rear shock mod re-organized the geometry somewhat and it's improved, just a bit.

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2009, 12:31 AM   #30
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

i just put Continental TKVs on. They are superior to the stock K630s, especially in responsiveness. Despite being a bit taller (90% aspect ratio instead of 80%) they flick side to side with minimal input. They seem suited to touring duties, also.

Old March 26th, 2010, 12:52 AM   #31
fivepin
ninjette.org member

Name: Cory

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250R

Looking for tires for 16in rim

I had the hardest time trying to find tires for my bike. I didnt want to go with the stock tires or the buell tires. I found that pirelli has tire that fit my bike. They are Diablo Scoter tires, now they are rated to 100mph. They have an awsome tread pattern and hook up great. So if ur looking for something better than stock go pirelli. The front is $79-$89 and rear $99-$119 depending on where you get them. I love these tires and would recomed them to anyone.

http://www.pirellityre.com/web/tyres...R/default.page
fivepin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2010, 04:07 AM   #32
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Thank you for thr review. I am now running Pirelli Sport Demons. Great tires also.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2010, 05:56 AM   #33
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Some more suggestions here:

http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Tire_options_-_pregens

Old February 8th, 2011, 11:05 AM   #34
kchava
ninjette.org member

Name: Krystle

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

What tires should I get 2004 250 model

Hi,

I just noticed that I really need some new tires and I'm debating going online to like the motorcycle superstore to buy tires and then having them mounted at my local shop.

What's the appropriate price of tires for normal street driving (I mainly ride to commute to work)?

What's the appropriate price for having them mounted?

And if I buy the tires online, what's a good brand to choose?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
kchava is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #35
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Hi Krystle -

Check out these two links, one from our wiki and one from the ninja250.org wiki. They have much more info on some pre-gen topics, this is one of them.

http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Tire_options_-_pregens
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_ti...fit_the_250%3F

Costs vary, just look online based on the tires you choose. Generally, a set of tires for around $200 for the set is likely in the ballpark. If you do get them shipped online, there are still two choices for getting them mounted at a local shop. If you just ride the bike in, hand them the tires and say "do it", the going rate is $50 - $75 per tire to mount them, so $100 - $150 or so. That is called "on the bike".

If you take the wheels off yourself, and just take the wheels and tires into a shop to have them mounted and balanced, the going rate is $20 - $25 per wheel/tire. This is called "off the bike". Some shops will even mount and balance the tires for free (off the bike), if you purchase the tires directly from them. You need to balance the savings from the mounting, from the savings from ordering them online, to figure out the best deal that works for you.

Old February 8th, 2011, 11:31 AM   #36
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com..._SS10_PIBanner

Input your zip code and theyll list installers in your area and costs. They even ship the tires to the shop.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2011, 12:49 PM   #37
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchava View Post
Hi,

I just noticed that I really need some new tires and I'm debating going online to like the motorcycle superstore to buy tires and then having them mounted at my local shop.
Having someone else do the whole thing end to end is usually the most convenient and most expensive option. Finding a friendly shop that will mount tires bought elsewhere may take some time, but if you're not into mounting them yourself that's not a bad way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchava View Post
What's the appropriate price of tires for normal street driving (I mainly ride to commute to work)?
I run Kenda K671 front and rear in the 90 series. So far I've got 23K on the front, mainly mixed city/highway commuting with a few long trips, and it's still not worn out. The rear lasted 15k miles and I probably could have gotten another 2k out of it. I paid about $115 shipped for the pair off of ebay, and have seem them down to $100 shipped at times. Performance tires generally are much more expensive and last much fewer miles.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #38
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
I run Kenda K671 front and rear in the 90 series. So far I've got 23K on the front, mainly mixed city/highway commuting with a few long trips, and it's still not worn out. The rear lasted 15k miles and I probably could have gotten another 2k out of it.
That's some incredible mileage! What does the front look like after 23,000 miles?

Old February 8th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #39
kchava
ninjette.org member

Name: Krystle

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Great! Thanks for your input. I spoke to the local shop and they say they charge $40 per tire on the bike and $20 off. I was quoted for OEM Dunlop 630 tires, Front - $70 and Rear - $90. Does this seem fair to you guys? How does that brand last?
kchava is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 8th, 2011, 03:56 PM   #40
Alex
ninjette.org dude

You do not want the Dunlop 630 tires. They are neither long-wearing nor sticky, they are just bad. I'd look at the Pirelli Sport Demons, the Diablo Scooter tires, or if you do go Dunlops, the GT501's instead of the K630's.