ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 9th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #1
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

How Long is Too Long? Left-Over Bike

Soooo... as some of you have seen, thinking about buying a GSX650F for my next bike. They stopped bringing them to the states after '09, and they are super underrated, IMO, so there are darn few available. Been searching pretty wide, thinking I may do a 'fly and ride' if I found the right one. Then I came across the oldest new bike I've seen: a NEW 2008 GSXF.

So this is weird. I was all ready to buy a used bike. But I can get 'new' for $500-1000 more, depending on how much they'll come down (which ought to be pretty much anything... I mean, how long are they gonna' sit on this?!). I've bought left-over models before, and they can be a great deal; but is this too old? Obviously, there's been no gas in it, and a battery is easy to check, but would they have other fluids in there that can go bad in 5 years? What about tires? Even if the bike was moved enough to not flat-spot, does the carcass eventually just age out of its prime?

Whatcha' think?
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #2
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Unless your a collector of older bikes I would pay the extra for the comfort and technology of new.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2013, 09:29 PM   #3
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
Tires might be ok, if they weren't in the sun, but after 5 years, might need replacing if they are cracked, one of my bikes sat for 3 years, tires still looked and felt new though.

The rest doesn't go bad, except it will need a battery, I'm sure.

I would probably change the brake fluid, but I would chose it over used for a slight it more if I were the one buying

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2013, 08:01 AM   #4
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

I have a similar situation on a leftover.
After 5+ years the dealer has lost, depending on his particular return on inventory, probabaly the cost of the bike. Just arithmetic. And...it becomes harder to sell every day. Still...he's prob wriiten it off so at this point the bike is prob non-existent in terms of accounting.. Depending on what he's asking....I'd offer cash less than MSRP of 2008. If dealer is out of your state, check exactly what your state requires to register bike and if poss...take a handwritten bill of sale. The dealer is likely to hide the sale anyway.. You've done nothing illegal as long as you pay your state sales tax either on the price you paid or the state's minimum value of the vehicle.
At the same time rememeber...if this has been in his warehouse for 5 years....he's not too anxious to sell it.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2013, 09:55 AM   #5
Aodrn
It's a long boring story

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Technically you will need new tires, although people ride on ten year old tires all the time. Brake fluid, coolant, oil are a must to avoid deterioration of parts. I would open up the master cylinder and look for rust. Brake fluid sucks water like a sponge.
Aodrn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2013, 10:02 AM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
I would buy the "new" one.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ho...uki_gsx_650_f/

You never know how much any bike has been abused.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2013, 11:02 AM   #7
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Great find! I'd get it if I were you. It's great to get a better deal on a leftover. I saved like $3k on my leftover 2011.
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2013, 12:34 PM   #8
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Thanks all! Yes talked to my wife about it today and she leaned towards new also. So as long as its still there in two weeks I think it'll be mine.
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #9
michael t
ninjette.org member

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja , 2011 Raider S 113 cubic inches of V twin attitude , 2008 Honda Rebel The slow 250

A idiot friend of mine just rode from Ky to Fl on his HD He callws ne to tell me he made it But tires were starting to throw chunks of tread . I as how old tire were he sais 11years . I told him he was nuts His answer hey they looked good and held air, I here aren't I . He is replacing before start home.
michael t is offline   Reply With Quote