Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old March 9th, 2014, 10:29 PM   #1
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Gone Rideabout - 3/8/14

Walkabout: an occasion in which an Australian Aborigine goes on a long walking journey on land that is far from towns and cities.

More of a spiritual journey to reconnect to their ancestors. Google-fu fail.

Mine isn't such a ritual or rite, it has no ancestral connections nor deep meanings. But it is just a wanderlust to just get out an go, see where the road leads, and forget for awhile the day to day. That's what I did this weekend.

After being stuck in the house for a week nursing a flu, I was done staring at my wall. Suited up, checked the bike over (rear tire was low darn it) and headed out the door. No idea where I was originally heading other than east, but soon my stomach reminded me I left without breakfast. So the first stop was Middlegate for a juicy burger and icy Coke. Had some guy circling my bike in the gravel lot and when he popped in to get food as well, asked me a few things about where I'd been. Nice fellow.

Still felt up for riding, so turned south and headed down towards Hawthorne. In Nevada we had the major east-west roads (I-80, Hwy 50, and Hwy 6) and three big north south roads (Hwy 395/I-580, Hwy 95, Hwy 93) but in between are smaller highways and state routes. If you think any of the major roads are empty, try taking a cruise along the smaller roads! Rolling through one of the numerous basins between the ranges leaves you with a sense time has stopped. Long straight flat road with mountains on either side and a horizon ahead and behind you. Even a short hour drive feels like eternity out here.

My short little wander turned into just over 300 miles and covered quite a bit of north central Nevada. The resulting track kinda looks like Australia, maybe. Hence my "rideabout".

Sunday I ended up sleeping in a bit since I argued I really woke up at 7 so since the clock said 8, I should sleep in until real 8 and then get going. The end result was out the door by 9 (or 10 by the clock).

Had lunch in Carson then decided to see if I could ride all around Carson Valley. Fairly easy to do with four wheels as you could ignore the signs indicating "Pavement Ends" however on two wheels I needed to be a bit more careful. The cruise down the west side of the valley is super easy thanks to Jacks Valley Road/Foothill Road. Then I took Dressler Road that suddenly decided to go to dirt. We haven't had much rain here but the little we have had has left its mark and the road was interesting...

But made it alright with only one incident (that freaking happened while I was STOPPED! Grrrr) and continued my journey along the south side of the valley. Swinging up the east side I had found a nice loop through some older ranches and linked up with East Valley Road. It looks straight on the map but it does have some nice sweepers as it avoids property and old washes. Weirdly there is a whole community out there - well, the cul-du-sacs anyway! Pulled over as the sun was out and shining on the three highest peaks in the immediate area, Freel Peak (10,881’), Job’s Sister (10,823’), and Job’s Peak (10,633’), so had to get a picture. From this angle, Job and Job's Sister as washing out into the cloud, while Freel is further west so "hidden" behind Job's Sister.

Continued on up to the north end of the Valley and snuck over the highway to ride through a neighborhood that has some nice squiggly roads. By then, I had decided that I was going to give into temptation and rode to Reno to pick up some new Phillips Xtreme-Vision +100's for the headlights. Kept reading they are brighter than the Sylvania's I have so will do a report on those when I install them. Of course, now that I was all the way north in Reno, the only logical way home was to head south over to Virginia City and enjoy a lap of Geiger Grade and the Truck Route.

All in all a very enjoyable weekend that added just over 600 miles to the bike (crossed 34,000 at some point) and let me get some spring wind in my face.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.

Last futzed with by NevadaWolf; March 19th, 2014 at 12:34 PM.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old March 9th, 2014, 11:24 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

What was the "incident"?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2014, 12:12 AM   #3
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

I bet she parked on some loose rocks

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2014, 12:34 AM   #4
misfitsailor
Ninjette Jockey

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Harley Davidson Heritage Softail, 2 Honda Monkeys, Polini & GRC mini GP

Gone rideabout...love it! I may have to borrow that.

Fair dinkum, mate!

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?.
misfitsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2014, 04:18 AM   #5
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
I bet that she put the kickstand down halfway and it didn't hold
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2014, 04:27 AM   #6
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walkabout

your Google-fu is not ready.
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2014, 05:04 AM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Very glad that you feel better.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2014, 06:22 AM   #8
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
The incident was I had pulled over to get a pic of how bad the road was but stayed on the bike. Just as I was about to take the pic, my toe slipped, I lost my balance, and the bike went down.

Found I'm not flexible enough and too weak to do the squat lift of the bike (can never reach anything under the tail) so ended up eventually yanking it up by the handlebar. I really need to find a way that works for me as I fail at the way shown in videos.

@allanoue Yeah I saw the wiki but sounded like it was written more from a white viewpoint. Absence and leave of work didn't give me really their reason. But that is where I picked up that it is a spiritual journey to reconnect with their ancestors.

@misfitsailor Borrow away. Came up with it while trying to describe why I just rode with no real destination. Since the outline reminded me of Aus, I thought "Why not?" Plus it'll give me a post title when one really doesn't exist.

@Motofool Thank you. Little bug is still holding on a bit but for the most part my system is claiming victory over this one.

Old March 10th, 2014, 03:19 PM   #9
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
I had pulled over to get a pic of how bad the road was but stayed on the bike. Just as I was about to take the pic, my toe slipped, I lost my balance, and the bike went down.
The irony

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2014, 05:31 PM   #10
komohana
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

thanx for sharing your Rideabout teri

Peak pictures are beautiful!
Wish I could ride and just go and go...without reaching the end of the road and turning around

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2014, 12:34 PM   #11
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I updated the OP to include a video from the weekend. Interesting change in weather, sunny on Saturday, heavy clouds on Sunday. Ah well still was an amazing ride!