ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old July 25th, 2012, 08:05 AM   #1
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R (SOLD - 2/16/2013)

Fixing fairing cracks v. JB weld an option?

1" crack above the "Ninja" sticker on the right side. It does't run all the way to any edge of the fairing, but I'm afraid it'll keep growing due to vibrations and such. The two sides of the crack are a bit offset so I would need to hold it while it dries to have the crack glued evenly. I was thinking of using JB weld on the inside of the fairings. Has any one tried this? I'd really like not to use heavy duty staples or screws to secure it while it dries. Any ideas suggestions?

I searched, but couldn't find a similar thread, let me know if I missed a DIY or a thread.

Old July 25th, 2012, 08:40 AM   #2
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42690

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2012, 08:47 AM   #3
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

I would not use JB Weld. It's much too hard once dry and the fairing will just end up cracking again. They make plastic specific adhesives and epoxies that actually fuse the two pieces back together.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2012, 09:29 AM   #4
sc37
ninjette.org member

Name: SC

Motorcycle(s): Currently: 2012 Honda NC700X; Previously: 2010 Ninja 250R

I used the JB Weld epoxy putty. It has worked fine so far. I just liked it better than anything else cause I could knead it and squish it wherever I wanted. Easier to work with something solid than liquid. I didn't even remove the fairings. I just stuck my arm down past the handlebars and worked the stuff in and around the crack.
sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2012, 11:45 AM   #5
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post
YES! I knew I had seen this before, thanks

Old July 25th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #6
MorrisMeng
ninjette.org newbie

Name: JY

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE

Since you have a offset needs holding, I think soldering gun might be a easier choice. Because it hardens instantly.

I had similar problem with a much larger crack. I used soldering gun to hold them in place. And then used JB weld and fiberglass cloth to make it stronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edxmon View Post
1" crack above the "Ninja" sticker on the right side. It does't run all the way to any edge of the fairing, but I'm afraid it'll keep growing due to vibrations and such. The two sides of the crack are a bit offset so I would need to hold it while it dries to have the crack glued evenly. I was thinking of using JB weld on the inside of the fairings. Has any one tried this? I'd really like not to use heavy duty staples or screws to secure it while it dries. Any ideas suggestions?

I searched, but couldn't find a similar thread, let me know if I missed a DIY or a thread.
MorrisMeng is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2012, 06:28 PM   #7
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisMeng View Post
Since you have a offset needs holding, I think soldering gun might be a easier choice. Because it hardens instantly.

I had similar problem with a much larger crack. I used soldering gun to hold them in place. And then used JB weld and fiberglass cloth to make it stronger.
I don't have a soldering gun. Do you mean like "tack welding" by melting the crack together at spots? That's pretty clever, but I lack the tool

Old July 25th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #8
MorrisMeng
ninjette.org newbie

Name: JY

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE

yeah.
I used soldering iron on several spots just to hold them togeter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edxmon View Post
I don't have a soldering gun. Do you mean like "tack welding" by melting the crack together at spots? That's pretty clever, but I lack the tool
MorrisMeng is offline   Reply With Quote