ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old December 19th, 2010, 04:56 PM   #1
mr.jake
ninjette.org member

Name: jacob

Motorcycle(s): 1996 ninja 250

what should i wear?

hey guys im new here and dont know what jacket i should get. i will be riding in temps from 40-95 degrees farenhight. any imput would be great. links too. please excuse any gramatical error. thanks

Old December 19th, 2010, 05:03 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Check out the sticky thread right in this section where a whole pile of people have shared their gear choices, there might be something in there that catches your eye. Here's a link.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2010, 05:11 PM   #3
KURT
Resident Old Guy

Name: Kurt

Motorcycle(s): sold

If you're like most of us, you'll end up owning both cold and warm weather gear. But your first jacket, should be a textile mesh, with a zip out liner, to wear year-round. You can spend anywhere from $60 to $300 for them, depending on your needs and budget.

NewEnough, is a good place to start shopping, as they have a pretty good explanation of sizes in their item descriptions. They are a site supporter of 250Ninja.com, and are pretty easy to deal with, if you get the wrong size.
There is also a 10% discount, floating around here somewhere....

http://www.newenough.com/
KURT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2010, 05:11 PM   #4
mr.jake
ninjette.org member

ok thanks man

Old December 19th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #5
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

I have a scorpion stinger jacket which I have worn throughout your temp range. It is a perforated leather jacket with a removable liner. When its really cold I wear a thick sweater in jacket and I am good to go. In the summer it gets pretty hot but it isn't horrible either as long as you are moving. I got a discount coupon for newenough if you want it

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2010, 05:47 PM   #6
mr.jake
ninjette.org member

i may take you up on that but not a the moment. im just trying to get a general idea of what im going to need. i think im just going to wear my carhart jacket for the time being at least until spring comes... yeah i know its not the best idea but its pretty durable.

Old December 19th, 2010, 07:36 PM   #7
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

I usually recommend textile jackets to most people. More specifically, the 3/4 length, touring style ones that come with two or three removable layers. Scorpion XDR makes a good set.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2010, 09:10 AM   #8
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

+1 on the mesh jacket. When it was 100+* in the summer, it breathed well enough to keep me dry as long as I was moving (I was still hot, of course, but not damp). Now, on my short morning commutes (~3-6 miles) I have been wearing long-sleeved cotton shirts under a hoodie or light jacket, with the wind liner under my mesh riding jacket. Even in the high 20s, I've been good to go.

Mesh is inherently the least durable of riding jacket materials (with typical textile jackets being in the middle--though you can get heavy 1000+ denier jackets that are arguably as tough as leather), but there are only a few spots where my elbow / forearm starter to wear through after my ~30mph low-side yesterday (didn't get through the inner layer of the jacket, but would have had I been going more like 40-50mph). Of course, not all mesh jackets are made equal, and a $200 or $300 mesh jacket might be made of a heavier / tougher thread than mine I got on sale for $99, so I wouldn't completely discount it. A friend also low-sided at closer to 50mph and his mesh jacket held up well enough to protect him. He even still wears it, heh.

Old December 21st, 2010, 11:15 AM   #9
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
I usually recommend textile jackets to most people. More specifically, the 3/4 length, touring style ones that come with two or three removable layers. Scorpion XDR makes a good set.
+1 speed and strength make good ones as well. They have zip off sleeves to go from full textile to textile/mesh combo. Wind liners and quilted vest liner as well. I got the st coast is clear one and I love it.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2010, 12:03 PM   #10
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.jake View Post
..... i think im just going to wear my carhart jacket for the time being at least until spring comes... yeah i know its not the best idea but its pretty durable.
Until you decide on what jacket you will finally purchase, I recommend a pair of elbow and knee pads at least.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote