ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 7th, 2018, 11:40 AM   #1
s7rokers
ninjette.org member
 
Name: Felix
Location: Singapore
Join Date: Aug 2018

Motorcycle(s): 08' Ninja 250r

Posts: 16
Question Will a ZX11 rear shock fit our Ninja 250r?

Hi guys, was wondering if by any chance the ZX11 rear shock will sit into our 250 r nicely?
s7rokers is offline   Reply With Quote




Old August 7th, 2018, 12:37 PM   #2
gantt
ninjette.org guru
 
gantt's Avatar
 
Name: michael
Location: Central Georgia
Join Date: May 2013

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 650, 2009 Ninja 250r, 2007 DRZ400s

Posts: 383
not sure about that, but a gsxr600/750 shock can be adapted with a little work. many threads covering that here. you may have to buy a used shock and see if the zx11 will fit
gantt is offline   Reply With Quote


Old August 8th, 2018, 05:13 AM   #3
maverick9611
ninjette.org certified postwhore
 
maverick9611's Avatar
 
Name: maverick9611
Location: Augusta,Georgia
Join Date: May 2017

Motorcycle(s): 2008 exploited 250r(red), 2010 "godzilla" 250r SE(green)

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - Feb '18
center to center is 12.6"
you can pick up a progressive that bolts right in low 300's
__________________________________________________
"trying not to get old"
maverick9611 is offline   Reply With Quote


Old August 8th, 2018, 05:15 AM   #4
s7rokers
ninjette.org member
 
Name: Felix
Location: Singapore
Join Date: Aug 2018

Motorcycle(s): 08' Ninja 250r

Posts: 16
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick9611 View Post
center to center is 12.6"
As in the length of the shock for our 250?
s7rokers is offline   Reply With Quote


Old August 8th, 2018, 06:11 AM   #5
maverick9611
ninjette.org certified postwhore
 
maverick9611's Avatar
 
Name: maverick9611
Location: Augusta,Georgia
Join Date: May 2017

Motorcycle(s): 2008 exploited 250r(red), 2010 "godzilla" 250r SE(green)

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - Feb '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rokers View Post
As in the length of the shock for our 250?
but of course it's made for newgens.
https://www.progressivesuspension.co...shock-kawasaki.
i found it cheaper on amazon. go to my godzilla reborn thread. i did a little chat about it.
they 2 colors brown and black. the large letter B at end of part # means black
__________________________________________________
"trying not to get old"
maverick9611 is offline   Reply With Quote


Old August 8th, 2018, 08:45 AM   #6
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore
 
Name: AKA JacRyann
Location: SF East Bay
Join Date: Dec 2011

Motorcycle(s): CB125T, Ninja250R racer, Ninja250R street bike, EX250F#1, EX250F#2, VF500F, CBR600RR

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rokers View Post
As in the length of the shock for our 250?
Measure length of ZX11 shock, if it's 320mm (c-t-c), then it will fit. After you install it, you will find it's very stiff due to extra 100kg weight of ZX11 over Ninjette.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote


Old August 8th, 2018, 09:43 AM   #7
s7rokers
ninjette.org member
 
Name: Felix
Location: Singapore
Join Date: Aug 2018

Motorcycle(s): 08' Ninja 250r

Posts: 16
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Measure length of ZX11 shock, if it's 320mm (c-t-c), then it will fit. After you install it, you will find it's very stiff due to extra 100kg weight of ZX11 over Ninjette.
Noted with thanks!
s7rokers is offline   Reply With Quote


Old August 8th, 2018, 09:43 AM   #8
s7rokers
ninjette.org member
 
Name: Felix
Location: Singapore
Join Date: Aug 2018

Motorcycle(s): 08' Ninja 250r

Posts: 16
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick9611 View Post
but of course it's made for newgens.
https://www.progressivesuspension.co...shock-kawasaki.
i found it cheaper on amazon. go to my godzilla reborn thread. i did a little chat about it.
they 2 colors brown and black. the large letter B at end of part # means black
thank you!
s7rokers is offline   Reply With Quote


Old August 8th, 2018, 09:43 AM   #9
s7rokers
ninjette.org member
 
Name: Felix
Location: Singapore
Join Date: Aug 2018

Motorcycle(s): 08' Ninja 250r

Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick9611 View Post
center to center is 12.6"
you can pick up a progressive that bolts right in low 300's
thank you!
s7rokers is offline   Reply With Quote


Old August 8th, 2018, 09:44 AM   #10
s7rokers
ninjette.org member
 
Name: Felix
Location: Singapore
Join Date: Aug 2018

Motorcycle(s): 08' Ninja 250r

Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gantt View Post
not sure about that, but a gsxr600/750 shock can be adapted with a little work. many threads covering that here. you may have to buy a used shock and see if the zx11 will fit
thank you!
s7rokers is offline   Reply With Quote


Old August 8th, 2018, 10:09 AM   #11
gantt
ninjette.org guru
 
gantt's Avatar
 
Name: michael
Location: Central Georgia
Join Date: May 2013

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 650, 2009 Ninja 250r, 2007 DRZ400s

Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rokers View Post
thank you!
its my understanding the gsxr shock is a decent spring rate for our ninja's. due to the gsxr using a different linkage setup, it adds leverage to spring so the rate needed to be lighter. which ends up being a pretty good budget shock upgrade for about 30 bucks. takes a little modification but nothing crazy.
not rally adding leverage TO the spring, but taking the force of the spring, and once it passes through the linkage it was at a higher force, because of the fulcrum (leverage) effect the linkage provided.
gantt is offline   Reply With Quote


Old August 10th, 2018, 01:32 AM   #12
s7rokers
ninjette.org member
 
Name: Felix
Location: Singapore
Join Date: Aug 2018

Motorcycle(s): 08' Ninja 250r

Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gantt View Post
its my understanding the gsxr shock is a decent spring rate for our ninja's. due to the gsxr using a different linkage setup, it adds leverage to spring so the rate needed to be lighter. which ends up being a pretty good budget shock upgrade for about 30 bucks. takes a little modification but nothing crazy.
not rally adding leverage TO the spring, but taking the force of the spring, and once it passes through the linkage it was at a higher force, because of the fulcrum (leverage) effect the linkage provided.
and I was ogling at this too LOL

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...ne=taobao_shop
s7rokers is offline   Reply With Quote


Old August 10th, 2018, 04:41 PM   #13
subxero
dirty boy
 
subxero's Avatar
 
Name: Joe
Location: Johnstown, PA
Join Date: Sep 2012

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - Apr '14
JMO stick with what is tried and true. The GSXR shock is the way to go. Lots of people have tried other shocks and they don't seem to work as easily or as well or at all. It's impossible to say if a shock will work or not or without too much fuss with out having it in hand and a bike stripped down to check clearances with.

From my experience there is always something that just doesn't quite fit/work correctly, this is why the GSXR shock is the way to go, it's practically bolt on.
__________________________________________________
I love the smell of burning pre-mix in the morning

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote


Old August 10th, 2018, 04:45 PM   #14
maverick9611
ninjette.org certified postwhore
 
maverick9611's Avatar
 
Name: maverick9611
Location: Augusta,Georgia
Join Date: May 2017

Motorcycle(s): 2008 exploited 250r(red), 2010 "godzilla" 250r SE(green)

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - Feb '18
whats tried and true is the progressive. it bolts right on. no mess, no grinding, just bolt it on, adjust preload and go
__________________________________________________
"trying not to get old"
maverick9611 is offline   Reply With Quote


1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 11th, 2018, 08:49 AM   #15
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage
 
Ralgha's Avatar
 
Name: Kevin
Location: Portland, OR
Join Date: Oct 2013

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Posts: 685
I don't see any place to specify rider weight when ordering that progressive shock. What weight is it set for?
__________________________________________________
Hijakd: I strut up to my bike and point the remote between my legs while pointing into the air yelling, "LET THERE BE LIGHT," when I start my bike...why, how do you do it?
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote


Old August 11th, 2018, 09:10 AM   #16
maverick9611
ninjette.org certified postwhore
 
maverick9611's Avatar
 
Name: maverick9611
Location: Augusta,Georgia
Join Date: May 2017

Motorcycle(s): 2008 exploited 250r(red), 2010 "godzilla" 250r SE(green)

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - Feb '18
you have to look on progressive details/info page. i have it open so i will give you the specs
center to center 12.60 or 320mm
compressed length 10.10 or 257m
travel 2.50 or 64mm
spring # 04-1466-20B
rate 425/570 lbs or 7.59kg/10.18mm
this is for part #435-1001(435 series shock)
__________________________________________________
"trying not to get old"
maverick9611 is offline   Reply With Quote


Old August 11th, 2018, 05:33 PM   #17
subxero
dirty boy
 
subxero's Avatar
 
Name: Joe
Location: Johnstown, PA
Join Date: Sep 2012

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick9611 View Post
whats tried and true is the progressive. it bolts right on. no mess, no grinding, just bolt it on, adjust preload and go
I'm talking about conversions/shock swaps which cost about $50.

Few years back you could find a couple nice aftermarket shocks for the 250r in the $300-$600 range. I feel like Elka had some nice ones in the $400 range and Ohlins had one for a bit more. Been awhile since i looked at any of that stuff.
__________________________________________________
I love the smell of burning pre-mix in the morning

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote


Old August 11th, 2018, 06:17 PM   #18
maverick9611
ninjette.org certified postwhore
 
maverick9611's Avatar
 
Name: maverick9611
Location: Augusta,Georgia
Join Date: May 2017

Motorcycle(s): 2008 exploited 250r(red), 2010 "godzilla" 250r SE(green)

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - Feb '18
since you live in Singapore, member bernawanfr from Indonesia might be your ticket on getting a name brand shock at a bargain price. he has helped me on a couple of sinnob poly sprox transactions and it went quite smooth. let me and i will contact him.
__________________________________________________
"trying not to get old"
maverick9611 is offline   Reply With Quote


Old Yesterday, 04:04 AM   #19
s7rokers
ninjette.org member
 
Name: Felix
Location: Singapore
Join Date: Aug 2018

Motorcycle(s): 08' Ninja 250r

Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick9611 View Post
since you live in Singapore, member bernawanfr from Indonesia might be your ticket on getting a name brand shock at a bargain price. he has helped me on a couple of sinnob poly sprox transactions and it went quite smooth. let me and i will contact him.
You have a PM
s7rokers is offline   Reply With Quote


Old Yesterday, 04:06 AM   #20
s7rokers
ninjette.org member
 
Name: Felix
Location: Singapore
Join Date: Aug 2018

Motorcycle(s): 08' Ninja 250r

Posts: 16
YSS front fork upgrade kit

I will be flying to Bangkok on the 15th to pick up the upgrade kit
s7rokers is offline   Reply With Quote


Old Yesterday, 04:10 AM   #21
s7rokers
ninjette.org member
 
Name: Felix
Location: Singapore
Join Date: Aug 2018

Motorcycle(s): 08' Ninja 250r

Posts: 16
A mechanic told me that i should not be running on a K&N filter if I do not have a power commander on board as the machine would be running lean?
s7rokers is offline   Reply With Quote


Old Yesterday, 06:11 AM   #22
taz
????????????????
 
taz's Avatar
 
Name: T
Location: mitchell
Join Date: Feb 2016

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250,(13 cbr1000rr 4 sale),(06 gsxr750 UP FOR SALE),(02 cbr 600f4i SOLD), 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - May '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rokers View Post
A mechanic told me that i should not be running on a K&N filter if I do not have a power commander on board as the machine would be running lean?
a power commander is not going to do a thing for a carbed bike, there for fuel injected. unless it has been converted to a fuel injected setup.
__________________________________________________
taz is offline   Reply With Quote


Old Yesterday, 06:15 AM   #23
s7rokers
ninjette.org member
 
Name: Felix
Location: Singapore
Join Date: Aug 2018

Motorcycle(s): 08' Ninja 250r

Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz View Post
a power commander is not going to do a thing for a carbed bike, there for fuel injected. unless it has been converted to a fuel injected setup.
Oh! Mine is a FI model
s7rokers is offline   Reply With Quote


Old Yesterday, 06:24 AM   #24
taz
????????????????
 
taz's Avatar
 
Name: T
Location: mitchell
Join Date: Feb 2016

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250,(13 cbr1000rr 4 sale),(06 gsxr750 UP FOR SALE),(02 cbr 600f4i SOLD), 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - May '17
is it a k&n drop in filter(factory replacement) or a k&n pod filter setup?
__________________________________________________
taz is offline   Reply With Quote


Old Yesterday, 06:25 AM   #25
s7rokers
ninjette.org member
 
Name: Felix
Location: Singapore
Join Date: Aug 2018

Motorcycle(s): 08' Ninja 250r

Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz View Post
is it a k&n drop in filter(factory replacement) or a k&n pod filter setup?
K&N drop in filter.
s7rokers is offline   Reply With Quote


Old Yesterday, 06:39 AM   #26
taz
????????????????
 
taz's Avatar
 
Name: T
Location: mitchell
Join Date: Feb 2016

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250,(13 cbr1000rr 4 sale),(06 gsxr750 UP FOR SALE),(02 cbr 600f4i SOLD), 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - May '17
that shouldn't change it enough that it would need a retune
__________________________________________________
taz is offline   Reply With Quote


Old Yesterday, 07:24 AM   #27
s7rokers
ninjette.org member
 
Name: Felix
Location: Singapore
Join Date: Aug 2018

Motorcycle(s): 08' Ninja 250r

Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz View Post
that shouldn't change it enough that it would need a retune
That's what I thought so too!

Anyway, I have already drop the K&N in LOL!
s7rokers is offline   Reply With Quote


Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM   #28
s7rokers
ninjette.org member
 
Name: Felix
Location: Singapore
Join Date: Aug 2018

Motorcycle(s): 08' Ninja 250r

Posts: 16
[IMG][/IMG]
s7rokers is offline   Reply With Quote


Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM   #29
s7rokers
ninjette.org member
 
Name: Felix
Location: Singapore
Join Date: Aug 2018

Motorcycle(s): 08' Ninja 250r

Posts: 16
[IMG][/IMG]
s7rokers is offline   Reply With Quote


Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM   #30
s7rokers
ninjette.org member
 
Name: Felix
Location: Singapore
Join Date: Aug 2018

Motorcycle(s): 08' Ninja 250r

Posts: 16
Tried searching for the Power Commander V for my model but it seems like they do not make for the FI 250r?
s7rokers is offline   Reply With Quote


Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM   #31
taz
????????????????
 
taz's Avatar
 
Name: T
Location: mitchell
Join Date: Feb 2016

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250,(13 cbr1000rr 4 sale),(06 gsxr750 UP FOR SALE),(02 cbr 600f4i SOLD), 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - May '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rokers View Post
Tried searching for the Power Commander V for my model but it seems like they do not make for the FI 250r?
power commander is an american made product and over here in america the 250r is carbed, but you could write to there technical support and ask them if the one for the 300 would work for yours and that would give you a straight answer.
__________________________________________________
taz is offline   Reply With Quote


Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM   #32
gantt
ninjette.org guru
 
gantt's Avatar
 
Name: michael
Location: Central Georgia
Join Date: May 2013

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 650, 2009 Ninja 250r, 2007 DRZ400s

Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz View Post
power commander is an american made product and over here in america the 250r is carbed, but you could write to there technical support and ask them if the one for the 300 would work for yours and that would give you a straight answer.
wasn't the 250 offered for several years as a FI bike? i cannot understand how anyone would have wanted a carb bike over FI. two shop price carb rebuilds and cleanings would probably equal what the FI would have cost over carb
gantt is offline   Reply With Quote


Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM   #33
taz
????????????????
 
taz's Avatar
 
Name: T
Location: mitchell
Join Date: Feb 2016

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250,(13 cbr1000rr 4 sale),(06 gsxr750 UP FOR SALE),(02 cbr 600f4i SOLD), 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - May '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gantt View Post
wasn't the 250 offered for several years as a FI bike? i cannot understand how anyone would have wanted a carb bike over FI. two shop price carb rebuilds and cleanings would probably equal what the FI would have cost over carb
the 250 was never factory offered with fi in america, there is company's out there that sell conversions for them though
__________________________________________________
taz is offline   Reply With Quote


Old Yesterday, 11:27 PM   #34
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore
 
Name: AKA JacRyann
Location: SF East Bay
Join Date: Dec 2011

Motorcycle(s): CB125T, Ninja250R racer, Ninja250R street bike, EX250F#1, EX250F#2, VF500F, CBR600RR

Posts: A lot.
MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rokers View Post
Tried searching for the Power Commander V for my model but it seems like they do not make for the FI 250r?
Certainly do... http://bfy.tw/JOqF
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2010 Ninja 250r - Rear Shock, Adjustment Tool, and Linkage conrya5 Motorcycle-related 19 June 2nd, 2013 02:57 PM
WTB - 08/09 Ninja 250R Rear Shock conrya5 Items Wanted 2 September 26th, 2012 06:39 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Motorcycle Safety Foundation

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:04 PM.


remote server monitor
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Except where otherwise noted, all site contents are Copyright 2016 ninjette.org, All rights reserved.