ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 18th, 2011, 04:07 PM   #1
sendler
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250, 2011 Honda CBR250R, 07 Ninja 650

CBR and Ninja are stable mates

Rode my new CBR250R home today. 160 miles up route 17. Break in, shmake in. Now my Ninja has a stable mate. I hope they will get along well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stable mates 001comp.jpg (229.2 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg Stable mates 005comp.jpg (204.7 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg Stable mates 006comp.jpg (182.8 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg terraincomp.jpg (117.3 KB, 86 views)
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #2
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

How'd you like it?

More windy than the Ninja?
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2011, 06:17 PM   #3
ladyninja08
ninjette.org member

Name: Christine

Motorcycle(s): 2011 black ninja 250r

Nice!!!
ladyninja08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2011, 06:51 PM   #4
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Now my Ninja has a stable mate. I hope they will get along well.
Hybrid love child soon to come?
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2011, 07:35 PM   #5
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuss View Post
How'd you like it?

More windy than the Ninja?
no way in hell...the thing starts running out of steam at the rpm's our Ninja just starts picking up, which is about 9-10k rpm. I rode one at a Honda demo day so I'm not just talking outta my ass. To be fair though, I rode the CBR 250r after I rode the 1000rr and VFR1200 so it felt even more anemic, but it was the only bike where I could really push it and get a real feel for it.
LoneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2011, 07:59 PM   #6
peachdiddy
Former ninjette rider

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
Hybrid love child soon to come?
Sell THAT video on the internet.

Old June 18th, 2011, 08:52 PM   #7
TXJ
Cranky Old Fart

Name: TXJ

Motorcycle(s): 08 DRZ400SM

Nice.

I got to demo a CBR before they all sold out here. It's a great bike. Hindsight being 20/20, should have picked one up when they still had them. Guess there is always next year.
TXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2011, 09:37 PM   #8
sendler
ninjette.org member

First day

I don't want to jump to conclusions on the first day but here are some impressions. I rode the Honda 180 miles. Rode the Ninja through town to pick up the Chinese food. But I have been out on it for hours over the last few weekends as it finally quit raining every day. They are very different in the engine but both are fast enough for freeway travel up to 80 where the Ninja will pull away and wave goodbye. The Honda is much roomier around the knees for taller riders but the stylists have over stepped their bounds with the body work. Better to let the aerodynamic engineers lead the design. It is much noisier. The Kawi with a Zero Gravity Sport Touring windscreen will really spoil you. They should call their company Zero Windnoise. Maybe ZG can step in to improve the Honda. I am wondering though if any of the noise comes from the bikini nose at the side panels. This will be harder to deal with if that is the case. The red/ silver is beautiful in real life. Pictures don't do it justice. All my friends that I visited today catagorically agree that the Honda is much better looking Than the Kawi which is more "all buisness". The tanks of both bikes are comfortable to lay down on and upright riding is comfortable too.

I hope the fuel economy of the CBR will improve with more miles. The first tank only went 134 miles and 2.2 gallons for 60.1 mpg. Ridden full tuck. That does include some rpm cycling up and down from 8,000 to 6,000. Gassing it and winding back down for break in.

Both bikes are good in fast sweepers. The Honda is a little easier to change lines. The front is a little soft but still carves accurately and the over all comfort of the ride quality is very nice over broken pavement. Less jolt than the Honda fit that I rode down in. Cross winds are no problem at 70mph when tucked. I felt that the bike actually tended to turn into the wind somehow. The big ZG screen on the Ninja throws a bubble that the winds can use to move the bike to the side more. Or, the front of the Kawasaki got lighter with the bigger screen. It is more easily moved around by wind now but the quietness is worth it. I hope to get the CBR to this level even if I have to diy a windscreen.

Fuel injection is a big step up during cold start. It was 85*F today and the Ninja still needs a couple minutes of warm up before it will take any throttle even though I have adjusted the idle mixture. The Honda's engine felt slow for the first five minutes. Break in? or maybe the fuel injection computer needed to learn for the first time after the O2 sensor came on line so it could start building a map.

The Honda shifts much better. First gear is not as low people say. Speed at redline is somewhere around 24mph? although I usually shift right out of first at 10. 66mph is exactly 7000 so this rpm is a bit higher than other youtubes I have watched showing standing start to top speed pulls of the tach and speedo. Possibly because my odometer reads 1% LOWER than actual. Very rare in the bike world. I haven't verified the Ninja yet but it seems to be way off by almost 10% fast.

The Honda doesn't lug better at 3000 even though the torque curves show that it should. The single piston has a chugging feel when it lugs whereas the Ninja doesn't really buck as much but it just doesn't pull. The rear brake of the CBR is very weak but I don't use the rear much anyway. The front feels good on both bikes. There is zero vibration in the seat of the Honda. Very little in the pegs and the left grip is also almost dead. The throttle hand buzzes some but every rider will have some pain in the right hand on any bike unless it is equiped with some sort of throttle holding aid.

I really like the front running lights in the CBR and the fact that the front turn signals also stay lit up low for running lights. This always catches my attention more when I see a big touring bike come at me with four lights in the front. Maybe oncoming cars will quit turning left right in front of me. Perfect weather today. I rode off and on all day and into the evening to get a quick look at the lights. The Ninja's low beam is terrible. Should be illegal to put something like that on the road. I found a way to tip the high beam bulb back by bending one tab which lowers the vertical cut off so that bike's lights are more like two low beams now. Much better and I can leave the high beam on most of the time even if there is a car up the road in front of me. Shining the lights on a wall side by side, maybe the Honda is better? I didn't take it back out after dark as I was on the Ninja for that trip but I will.

More comments later I'm sure.

Old June 18th, 2011, 09:48 PM   #9
bluesinorbit
ninjette.org member

Name: Joon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Nice... are they 600's?
bluesinorbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2011, 07:24 AM   #10
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Nice write up

Old June 19th, 2011, 07:37 AM   #11
taikahn
ninjette.org member

Name: Tai

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja, 71 Honda Cafe

Great post. More comments please, I keep pondering trading the ninja in on a cbr.
taikahn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2011, 03:53 PM   #12
sendler
ninjette.org member

Ergonomics

Drivetrain lash is much worse with the Honda CBR250R even though the chain is a bit on the tight side of the spec. I wonder if there is a way to improve this. Around town, the torque advantage of the Honda makes it nicer than the Ninja 250R and I also feel that the ergonomics are better. There seems to be more leverage in the handle bars with the Honda and your head height is higher for better vision down the road even though the spec for the seat height is the same, I think the CBR sits a little higher. It looks and feels like a bigger bike. Except when it comes to turning or dodging pot holes, The Honda is quicker handling. And the ride is a little more plush. Very nice. Same exact tires. Strangely enough, my 6'1" brother said he like his position on the Ninja better even though he was wishing for lower pegs to make room for his knees under the tank flair. My knod would go to the Honda around townbut the ZG screen on the Kawasaki is fantastic on the highway if you want to tuck.
CBR rear brakes are very weak.

Quote:
I don't want to jump to conclusions on the first day but here are some impressions. I rode the Honda 180 miles. Rode the Ninja through town to pick up the Chinese food. But I have been out on it for hours over the last few weekends as it finally quit raining every day. They are very different in the engine but both are fast enough for freeway travel up to 80 where the Ninja will pull away and wave goodbye. The Honda is much roomier around the knees for taller riders but the stylists have over stepped their bounds with the body work. Better to let the aerodynamic engineers lead the design. It is much noisier. The Kawi with a Zero Gravity Sport Touring windscreen will really spoil you. They should call their company Zero Windnoise. Maybe ZG can step in to improve the Honda. I am wondering though if any of the noise comes from the bikini nose at the side panels. This will be harder to deal with if that is the case. The red/ silver is beautiful in real life. Pictures don't do it justice. All my friends that I visited today catagorically agree that the Honda is much better looking Than the Kawi which is more "all buisness". The tanks of both bikes are comfortable to lay down on and upright riding is comfortable too.

I hope the fuel economy of the CBR will improve with more miles. The first tank only went 134 miles and 2.2 gallons for 60.1 mpg. Ridden full tuck. That does include some rpm cycling up and down from 8,000 to 6,000. Gassing it and winding back down for break in.

Both bikes are good in fast sweepers. The Honda is a little easier to change lines. The front is a little soft but still carves accurately and the over all comfort of the ride quality is very nice over broken pavement. Less jolt than the Honda fit that I rode down in. Cross winds are no problem at 70mph when tucked. I felt that the bike actually tended to turn into the wind somehow. The big ZG screen on the Ninja throws a bubble that the winds can use to move the bike to the side more. Or, the front of the Kawasaki got lighter with the bigger screen. It is more easily moved around by wind now but the quietness is worth it. I hope to get the CBR to this level even if I have to diy a windscreen.

Fuel injection is a big step up during cold start. It was 85*F today and the Ninja still needs a couple minutes of warm up before it will take any throttle even though I have adjusted the idle mixture. The Honda's engine felt slow for the first five minutes. Break in? or maybe the fuel injection computer needed to learn for the first time after the O2 sensor came on line so it could start building a map.

The Honda shifts much better. First gear is not as low people say. Speed at redline is somewhere around 24mph? although I usually shift right out of first at 10. 66mph is exactly 7000 so this rpm is a bit higher than other youtubes I have watched showing standing start to top speed pulls of the tach and speedo. Possibly because my odometer reads 1% LOWER than actual. Very rare in the bike world. I haven't verified the Ninja yet but it seems to be way off by almost 10% fast.

The Honda doesn't lug better at 3000 even though the torque curves show that it should. The single piston has a chugging feel when it lugs whereas the Ninja doesn't really buck as much but it just doesn't pull. The rear brake of the CBR is very weak but I don't use the rear much anyway. The front feels good on both bikes. There is zero vibration in the seat of the Honda. Very little in the pegs and the left grip is also almost dead. The throttle hand buzzes some but every rider will have some pain in the right hand on any bike unless it is equiped with some sort of throttle holding aid.

I really like the front running lights in the CBR and the fact that the front turn signals also stay lit up low for running lights. This always catches my attention more when I see a big touring bike come at me with four lights in the front. Maybe oncoming cars will quit turning left right in front of me. Perfect weather today. I rode off and on all day and into the evening to get a quick look at the lights. The Ninja's low beam is terrible. Should be illegal to put something like that on the road. I found a way to tip the high beam bulb back by bending one tab which lowers the vertical cut off so that bike's lights are more like two low beams now. Much better and I can leave the high beam on most of the time even if there is a car up the road in front of me. Shining the lights on a wall side by side, maybe the Honda is better? I didn't take it back out after dark as I was on the Ninja for that trip but I will.

More comments later I'm sure.

Last futzed with by sendler; June 19th, 2011 at 05:25 PM.

Old June 19th, 2011, 04:27 PM   #13
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I'm glad you like your new bike. I'm glad someone else is in love with another motorcycle

on the other hand, I will still stick by my highly ninja biased guns and say that the green one is oodles better than that red thumper

keep us updated. I like the honest comparison by someone on this forum and I like that there is now more than just our ninja on the market in the 250cc class.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #14
sendler
ninjette.org member

Talking Second tank mpg 70.3

Second tank mpg is much better. 64 miles with .91 gallons for 70.3 mpg including riding around in 3rd with my daughter on the Ninja for an hour and flogging an hour long sport ride with my brother at the helm. tomorrow is ride your motorcycle to work day so of course I will. That will be another 84 miles round trip and enough to start accurate entires on Fuelly and Ecomodders. I went out just to fill up the CBR250R and it runs excellent with no warm up.
Quote:
Drivetrain lash is much worse with the Honda CBR250R even though the chain is a bit on the tight side of the spec. I wonder if there is a way to improve this. Around town, the torque advantage of the Honda makes it nicer than the Ninja 250R and I also feel that the ergonomics are better. There seems to be more leverage in the handle bars with the Honda and your head height is higher for better vision down the road even though the spec for the seat height is the same, I think the CBR sits a little higher. It looks and feels like a bigger bike. Except when it comes to turning or dodging pot holes, The Honda is quicker handling. And the ride is a little more plush. Very nice. Same exact tires. Strangely enough, my 6'1" brother said he like his position on the Ninja better even though he was wishing for lower pegs to make room for his knees under the tank flair. My knod would go to the Honda around townbut the ZG screen on the Kawasaki is fantastic on the highway if you want to tuck.
CBR rear brakes are very weak.

Old June 20th, 2011, 02:39 AM   #15
sendler
ninjette.org member

Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsketch View Post
are you planning on selling one of them?
No. My kids want to ride. It was nice to have an extra bike yesterday as my brother, who lives in the woods and has a KLR650, went out for a ride with me. We stopped at a road side inn to grab a couple t shirts that he wanted, keepsakes from the "Frog Pull" which was the day before. When we walked in, everyone yelled out his name like he was Norm. Very funny. I'm having a blast. Former workaholic. Ride for a while, switch bikes ride some more. The women all like the red Honda. The Harley guys are not too impressed with either bike.

Old June 20th, 2011, 05:49 AM   #16
TXJ
Cranky Old Fart

Quote:
The women all like the red Honda. The Harley guys are not too impressed with either bike.
You got the only vote that matters, though.

Most "harley" guys around here hate sport bikes too. Funny since half of them ride de-badged vulcans modded with ape hangers, straight pipes and solo seats to look like a street bob. lol.

Old June 20th, 2011, 06:12 AM   #17
sendler
ninjette.org member

70 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXJ View Post
I vote 70 mpg. Save some for later. These quarter liter bikes are the perfect size for one fit rider to commute on. I rode the Honda CBR250R to work today and the roll on passing at 70 mph and stability in rough air is fine. The Ninja is even better at both. People need to understand a 250 is not just a toy.

Old June 20th, 2011, 09:01 AM   #18
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

I'll probably snatch one up once they start flooding the used market next year.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2011, 09:59 AM   #19
sendler
ninjette.org member

Used

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx250 View Post
I'll probably snatch one up once they start flooding the used market next year.
There may be quite a few for sale used when people decide they don't like to ride after all.

Old June 20th, 2011, 10:50 AM   #20
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Quote:

Most "harley" guys around here hate sport bikes too. Funny since half of them ride de-badged vulcans modded with ape hangers, straight pipes and solo seats to look like a street bob. lol.
Had my share or harley guys take notice of my lil 250. Most think its a toy that couldnt get out of its own way. That is until I was riding with 2 1200's and an 883.
We were getting on the interstate. I was in the back of the pack on the left. to my right side 883. A full dresser 1200 in front of the 883 a 1200 sporty in front of me. (nice looking bike with a little chrome but not too much) Traffic was moderate and the ramp is short. Light turned green we crossed the intersection and onto the ramp we go. The sporty cracked the throttle midway thru the intersection and off we all went full tilt. The 1200 sporty was a little quicker (3-4 lengths to indicated 75-80). The dresser was even and we all dusted the 883.
20 miles later as we took a break, the topic of discussion was how quick my lil 250 was for being a "toy". We finished our ride and all went back to Daves house (1200 sporty guy) to cook some grub on the grill before we headed off in different directions. While we were there, Greg asked if he could take my lil ninjette for a spin. I handed him the key and off he went. I could hear him row thru the first 3 gears at full throttle as he rode away. (thank you Area P)
To make a long story short the full dresser guy (Greg) showed up at my house 3 weeks later with a new bike. Wana guess what it was? Yep, a red 2009 ninjette. ($2850) He bought it for his wife to learn on before he dropped 9k-11k on a harley and chrome. Said its light weight and ability to be dropped without causing hundreds in chrome damage would be nice for her to get the feel. Plus his wife and daughter could use it to learn on. Guess he didnt want them "learning" on his bike.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2011, 09:46 PM   #21
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (Blue!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost40 View Post
Said its light weight and ability to be dropped without causing hundreds in chrome damage would be nice for her to get the feel.
Don't tell him about the hundreds in damage if a fairing gets cracked
LazinCajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2011, 10:14 PM   #22
thaininja
ninjette.org member

Name: allan

Motorcycle(s): Nothing at the moment

One thing to note about the rear brake.... It seems that here in Thailand a few fella's had the same problem and it was traced to the dealer not cleaning the rear disc off the transit oil before selling the bike.. Looks like your pads may be contaminated.. I suggest using some brake cleaner on the disc and popping the pads and cleaning them (or just burn the crap off by applying while riding)

Then let us know if thats correct... Also a pipe and power commander open up about 4-5hp.

Have fun with ya bikes.
thaininja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2011, 09:53 AM   #23
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

No power commander here in the states. Carbs = jet-kit. With the same resulting increase in power and more when properly tuned.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2011, 10:09 AM   #24
TXJ
Cranky Old Fart

Quote:
No power commander here in the states. Carbs = jet-kit. With the same resulting increase in power and more when properly tuned.
He was probably referring to the CBR, power commander, juice box whatever they're called since it has EFI. Haven't seen many numbers for it yet. All I've seen is two brothers did a dyno with their slip on and claimed +%6 HP and -10lbs versus the stock exhaust.

Old June 21st, 2011, 10:13 AM   #25
ichibunkid.206
ninjette.org member

Name: Phil

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Rode my new CBR250R home today. 160 miles up route 17. Break in, shmake in. Now my Ninja has a stable mate. I hope they will get along well.
Hey Scott...

I was looking at one of the old post on the board asking who would consider picking up the new CBR. I saw your post and the terms of something like 2% over 36 months... IMHO that seemed like a screaming deal... Just curious if those were the terms you were able to get the CBR for.

The dealership that I got my Ninja at also sold the CBR's... I had thought about maybe getting the Honda over the Kawi, but decided not to since the CBR was a first gen, and the Kawi was a second gen, and I couldn't sit on the CBR flat footed.

The colors of the CBR look really good, congrats...

Old June 21st, 2011, 10:20 AM   #26
sendler
ninjette.org member

FI

Quote:
He was probably referring to the CBR, power commander, juice box whatever they're called since it has EFI. Haven't seen many numbers for it yet. All I've seen is two brothers did a dyno with their slip on and claimed +%6 HP and -10lbs versus the stock exhaust.
The beauty of fuel injection. The dyno curves are just as good with or without the reprogramming box after adding the muffler. Too bad everyone except Danmoto charge so much for a basically universal (within engine displacement groups) slip on can. Danmoto cans are only $100 but he doesn't have an adapter for the CBR250R yet. I will be one of his first customers when he does.

Old June 21st, 2011, 10:28 AM   #27
sendler
ninjette.org member

Screaming Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichibunkid.206 View Post
Hey Scott...

I was looking at one of the old post on the board asking who would consider picking up the new CBR. I saw your post and the terms of something like 2% over 36 months... IMHO that seemed like a screaming deal... Just curious if those were the terms you were able to get the CBR for.

The dealership that I got my Ninja at also sold the CBR's... I had thought about maybe getting the Honda over the Kawi, but decided not to since the CBR was a first gen, and the Kawi was a second gen, and I couldn't sit on the CBR flat footed.

The colors of the CBR look really good, congrats...
Honda did give me a screaming deal. That is what sealed it. I wanted the fuel economy of the CBR250R but would have saved some money to just buy a used pre gen Ninja for $2200 for a second bike until I could buy a used CBR next winter from some beginner that decided they didn't want to ride after all. Honda gave me: No money down, paid all of my sales tax and tags and put it into the loan. A new helmet for my son and a pair of gloves, would have bought a tank bag but they didn't have any?!. All rolled into the loan. No money what so ever. Sign your name and drive away at 1.9% for 3 years. $138/ month.

Old June 21st, 2011, 06:29 PM   #28
thaininja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
The beauty of fuel injection. The dyno curves are just as good with or without the reprogramming box after adding the muffler. Too bad everyone except Danmoto charge so much for a basically universal (within engine displacement groups) slip on can. Danmoto cans are only $100 but he doesn't have an adapter for the CBR250R yet. I will be one of his first customers when he does.
Not exactly correct about the dyno curves.. but yes the standard efi will correct to a point. The power commander with a decent pipe will improve on the stock set up. Sportisi has a system developed for use with the powercommander with very impressive results. Not outright hp but a very good every day riding curve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DynochartsCBR250_exhausts.jpg (93.2 KB, 31 views)

Old June 21st, 2011, 07:41 PM   #29
SSR
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
He bought it for his wife to learn on before he dropped 9k-11k on a harley and chrome. Said its light weight and ability to be dropped without causing hundreds in chrome damage would be nice for her to get the feel. Plus his wife and daughter could use it to learn on.
A co-worker of mine who drove a Harley, his girlfriend drove a Ninja 250. He admitted he took it out from time to time and had too much fun with it, espicially in the corners.

I also know a Suzuki 750 who took a rented Ninja 250 around a track that none of his liter friends know about. He said it was an absolute blast.

The 250 is a fun displacement.

Old June 21st, 2011, 07:54 PM   #30
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaininja View Post
Not exactly correct about the dyno curves.. but yes the standard efi will correct to a point. The power commander with a decent pipe will improve on the stock set up. Sportisi has a system developed for use with the powercommander with very impressive results. Not outright hp but a very good every day riding curve.
That dyno is the slipon with the pc3. Full system dynos are cranking out 27ish

Old June 21st, 2011, 08:04 PM   #31
sendler
ninjette.org member

No juice box

Quote:
The stock fuel injection computer will correct a slip on all the way back to the stock maps. A custom map that is richer here or there may make a little more power but I won't bother with that on the Honda since replacing the muffler gives you most of what is available and my big emphasis is fuel economy. The two dyno runs from Two Bros are almost identical with and without the juice box and the chart you posted only has an advantage to re mapping in a narrow band. The rest is a toss up with the slip on alone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Two Brothers slip on no juice box.jpg (218.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Two Brothers slip on with juice box.jpg (97.3 KB, 11 views)

Old June 21st, 2011, 08:34 PM   #32
thaininja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrack157 View Post
That dyno is the slipon with the pc3. Full system dynos are cranking out 27ish
Well unless they have improved it yet again.. That dyno was sent to me by Koko 10 days ago.
" the PROTOSMFS is Sportisi fullsystem exhaust."

Also those 2 bros results seem to be on a very 'HAPPY'dyno. Lets wait and see what you think about the exhausts when you get it on. Dont forget we have had the bike here for over 4 months..
People here have already put pipes on etc. The Honda PGMFI has a relatively limited range. Due to injecter size etc.. if you are at a higher altitude you may have problems on lean running unless you do some thing to correct it.
Similar things were also found with the FI ninja.
I have also seen the Remus happy dyno suggesting 26-27 hp. I'm really not sure that you will gain something like 5 hp (from 20-22hp up to 26-27hp) just using a slip on.

Old June 21st, 2011, 08:59 PM   #33
sendler
ninjette.org member

System pressure?

Quote:
The Honda PGMFI has a relatively limited range. Due to injecter size etc.. if you are at a higher altitude you may have problems on lean running unless you do some thing to correct it.
Similar things were also found with the FI ninja.
Is it possible to adjust the system pressure regulator higher to bring the correction factors back closer to 1.00?

Old June 21st, 2011, 09:33 PM   #34
thaininja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Is it possible to adjust the system pressure regulator higher to bring the correction factors back closer to 1.00?
No idea.. I'm just relaying what i have heard here.. If it's true that Honda are going to provide remapping for the racers then thats a start.But i really do not believe that.

Many of the cbr riders here have had no problems running the bikes with replacement mufflers etc.But most are running at 1 metre above sea level. we even have a fledgling moto3 race series that is getting better and better.. Next time it's near me i will go and take some pictures.. bear in mind we only have 3 and 3/4 race tracks in Thailand.

As in 3 finished ones 1 mini one and a 1/2 finished one. All smaller than you are used to. longest is 4.2km

Old June 25th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #35
Michaeldphotography
ninjette.org member

Name: Mook

Motorcycle(s): SUZUKI GS500

Hey I have been looking for an 08-10 ninja 250r in my area based on reviews i read. I have not had the chance to ride one yet but I have been practicing on the honda cbr 250 and like the feel of it but I still think i like the ninja due to it being 2nd gen, reviews and it just looks so sexy. But I would like to know more about your comment that around town the honda is easier to ride? Please explain to a noob. Thanks.
Michaeldphotography is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2011, 08:56 PM   #36
sendler
ninjette.org member

Both great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeldphotography View Post
Hey I have been looking for an 08-10 ninja 250r in my area based on reviews i read. I have not had the chance to ride one yet but I have been practicing on the honda cbr 250 and like the feel of it but I still think i like the ninja due to it being 2nd gen, reviews and it just looks so sexy. But I would like to know more about your comment that around town the honda is easier to ride? Please explain to a noob. Thanks.
They are both great bikes. Around town the Honda has more midrange torque in the 4-7k range so you don't have to wind up the gears as much. Not that it is a big deal with the Ninja but it sort of makes you feel like you are in a race and draws more attention from the cops as you hammer 1st and 2nd to get up to 40 mph before shifting up to cruise. They hear the higher revs and look at you even though you are still going slow.
The Honda sits more upright and higher even though the spec for the seat height is supposed to be the same, so you can see a little better. The bars are a little wider on the CBR250R which gives a feeling of leverage on tight turns in a parking lot or when wrestling the bike backwards. The front suspension of the CBR is set up a little more plush.
The fuel injection is much nicer to have for cold starts. By the time you put your gloves on and roll down the driveway, the Honda is ready to pull out into traffic with most of it's power and zero hiccups. Twenty seconds later you have full power. I haven't mastered the enrichment lever of the Ninja yet so usually wait a couple minutes until it will take some throttle with the enrichment off before pulling out.
The Ninja 250 has it's advantages. It is sportier. Anything like a race it will win. It has two Zero Gravity windshields available. Riding in a tuck behind the Sport Touring windscreen on the Kawasaki gives zero wind noise. The CBR's windscreen is harder to get under on the highway and makes a weird tearing noise if you get your helmet into the boundry layer. The body work of the new gen is very aero. But I don't think the carbs can come close to the 82 mpg I am getting with the CBR250R at 70 mph on the highway. I will ride the Ninja to work Monday and Tuesday to find out what mileage I can get out of it.
The single cylinder engine bogs more if you load too low a gear. It will really chug if you come around a corner and twist into 4th at 2000 rpm when you should be in 2nd. The twin in the Ninja doesn't buck as hard in the same situation.
Interesting that my 6'1" brother went out for a sport ride with me so we could switch back and forth. Even though he is too tall for his knees to fit under the tank cut out of the Kawasaki and was dissapointed by that the first time he sat on it in the parking lot, when we got done riding both he felt that all things considered, he liked the experience on the Ninja better.
If fuel economy is your game then get the CBR250R. If you want to sport ride you can put a pipe on a Ninja 250 and rejet to hang with the 600s. The Honda doesn't have the red line to ever achieve any great upgrade in horsepower.

Old June 25th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #37
Michaeldphotography
ninjette.org member

Name: Mook

Motorcycle(s): SUZUKI GS500

Thanks for the imput. I'm planning on buying a bike the first week of august. I hope I can get to ride a ninja before then. I rode a gs500 Suzuki yesterday and I really liked the smoothness and power in 1st gear very different feel from the Honda. My buddy with the Honda went down the other day, in the mountains a truck crossed the line and almost hit him head on. In a curve so he had to low side. Bike pretty scratched up and one mirror is gone but he is ok just a burn on his shoulder. How about the police gave him a ticket for no mirror on his way home. What a jerk.

Old June 26th, 2011, 05:57 AM   #38
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

How does the fuel consumption compare between the CBR250 and Ninja 250?
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2011, 06:08 AM   #39
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

I rode a slew of 125's the past 10 days or so. Actually liked the cbr125r, especially after lusting for 2-strokes. Thing was, the only 2-strokes I'd personally buy would have to be restricted because owners de-restrict and then blow them up in a year or two. You buy one de-restricted and don't know what you're getting even if it checks out at that moment. But I was real surprised on the cbr although I would still buy a NSR125 2-stroke (last built in 2001), there are buttloads of them, took Honda through 2003 to sell them. So forget Derbi, CCM in the islands (Irelands) and go Honda for a 125
NSR, you only give up 10mph top speed (90-100) and some torque and get a bike that will last in return. As far as 250's and above I ride Kawasaki. The only time that would change was if I HAD to pick big and I'd go with the Elvis of big bikes, Hayabusa, for my own reasons. Good luck with the cbr though you won't need it, Honda is a great build and you've got two 250's, right on bro.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2011, 06:19 AM   #40
sendler
ninjette.org member

Cbr125r

How did you get a chance on the CBR125R? A used one of those from Canada will probably become my THIRD BIKE next spring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coondog View Post
I rode a slew of 125's the past 10 days or so. Actually liked the cbr125r, especially after lusting for 2-strokes. Thing was, the only 2-strokes I'd personally buy would have to be restricted because owners de-restrict and then blow them up in a year or two. You buy one de-restricted and don't know what you're getting even if it checks out at that moment. But I was real surprised on the cbr although I would still buy a NSR125 2-stroke (last built in 2001), there are buttloads of them, took Honda through 2003 to sell them. So forget Derbi, CCM in the islands (Irelands) and go Honda for a 125
NSR, you only give up 10mph top speed (90-100) and some torque and get a bike that will last in return. As far as 250's and above I ride Kawasaki. The only time that would change was if I HAD to pick big and I'd go with the Elvis of big bikes, Hayabusa, for my own reasons. Good luck with the cbr though you won't need it, Honda is a great build and you've got two 250's, right on bro.