ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 29th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #1
Jim Moore
ninjette.org member

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninjette, 98 CBR600, 98 VFR800, 2000 BMW R1100RS, Kymco Movie 150

Gas Pouring out of Overflow Tube - Bowls or Petcock?

Hi folks,

My bike has been running great. I started it today. Gas immediately started POURING out of the carb overflow tube. I assumed it was a stuck float. I have the carbs out now. The floats and needles seem to be working perfectly. My first question, can something else go bad with the carb and cause the bowls to overfill? Is there any possibility that a float was stuck, but I fixed it by wrasslin' around with it?

Something else I noticed. The bike over fueled and leaked with the petcock in ON or RES, but the bike seemed to run fine for a long time (several minutes) with the petcock in OFF with no overfueling. How long does it normally take to run the bowls out of gas? Can a bad petcock cause an overfueling condition?

Thanks in advance,

Old October 29th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #2
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2001

Do you have a good fuel filter?
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Is all about how well the needle turns the flow off when pressing against its seat and how much pressure the float puts on the needle.

The petcock can be open and non-controlled by vacuum and still the needle valves and floats should keep the fuel from flowing into the bowls beyond the correct level.

Yes, it is common for the floats and needles to get stuck (mainly when the bike falls on its side) and resume proper work after some tapping or vibrations.

Any bike can go for a couple of blocks after you close the petcock; they can easily idle for several minutes.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2012, 03:04 AM   #4
Jim Moore
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninjette, 98 CBR600, 98 VFR800, 2000 BMW R1100RS, Kymco Movie 150

OK, thanks guys. I do not have a filter installed. Maybe something got stuck in there and is holding the needle open. I'll blow some compressed air through the fuel hose and see what pops out.

One more clue. It was cold here for the first time yesterday. Could that have caused an issue?

Old October 30th, 2012, 05:12 AM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

No, temperature is not a factor in that problem.

It was cold for me as well and mine is working perfectly.

Old October 30th, 2012, 11:05 AM   #6
Jim Moore
ninjette.org member

OK, I fixed that problem. i don't know what it was,m but taking the carbs off, messing with the floats and putting them back on has cured it.

Unfortunately, my fourteen year old float bowl gaskets were not up to the challenge of resealing the bowls. Now I'm looking for a set of float bowl gaskets. Anyone have a set handy? Recommendations for a rebuild kit?

Old October 30th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Any gasket material that resists gasoline will do.

The purpose is just avoiding splashed water and dirt from leaking in.

Old October 30th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #8
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
OK, I fixed that problem. i don't know what it was,m but taking the carbs off, messing with the floats and putting them back on has cured it.

Unfortunately, my fourteen year old float bowl gaskets were not up to the challenge of resealing the bowls. Now I'm looking for a set of float bowl gaskets. Anyone have a set handy? Recommendations for a rebuild kit?
There is a factory fuel filter installed that you should remove and replace because if you haven't it is likely warped at best.
I sealed my smashed o-rings w/ gasket maker (make sure you get the gasoline friendly type even though it should really matter that much). Be absolutely sure you dont let any get into the floats though. You can put a tiny amount on the o-rings to seal the bowls and then after screwing the bowls put it on the outside. I think that is best. If you get any of the gasket maker in the float bowls you are gonna have the same issue (see my thread).
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng is offline   Reply With Quote