ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 25th, 2009, 09:55 AM   #1
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Name: Unregistered

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250

Crankcase ventilation overflow tube?

I sold my 08 250R on Thursday due to the 'economic' situation in the country...still crying about it. I miss Ole Red...The guy I sold it to was ecstatic, researched the bike, very into it. I left the bike with him on Thursday at the BMV, and he said he has only driven it two miles since. Calle dme this morning, saying there was a puddle of dirty oil near the kickstand, and a puddle of fresher oil under the front sprocket. Never leaked a drop when I had it. Asked him to be more specific, and he's telling me that it appears to be coming from an overflow tube. I never tore my bike down any farther than the fairings, and I'm wondering if there is a crankcase ventilation port going into an overflow tube? I am planning on going to see the bike tomorrow, mainly cause I'm concerned he might try to back out of the deal, even though its done, cash delivered, title transfered, done. I don't want the kid to feel bad about buying a leaker, but it never was a leaker. He asked if I ever had any recall work done on the bike, said he found some info about a recall on crankcase vent hole, but very few bikes were affected. Anyone know anything about this? Any help would be appreciated.

Old April 25th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #2
kkim

http://www.ninjette.net/forums/showt...ht=recall+vent
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2009, 10:28 AM   #3
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

According to Kawis site, the VIN of my old bike was not subjected to any of the three recalls. It has just under 4k miles so wouldnt it have spewed early on if it needed the recall work? Is there an overflow tube from the crankcase vent? My warranty expired on 4/4, should be covered right?
Posted via Mobile Device
DmbShn41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2009, 10:30 AM   #4
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

The chain may be lubed in excess and it will puddle and drip in that area .
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #5
kkim

as Steve has suggested, it could be excess chain lube. did you lube the chain right before selling the bike?

also, did you change the oil just prior to the sale? it could have been overfilled and is spewing out the overflow tube into the airbox.

yes, it should have shown up when the bike was new if it were a blocked vent in the airbox due to flashing.

Old April 25th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #6
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
as Steve has suggested, it could be excess chain lube. did you lube the chain right before selling the bike?

also, did you change the oil just prior to the sale? it could have been overfilled and is spewing out the overflow tube into the airbox.

yes, it should have shown up when the bike was new if it were a blocked vent in the airbox due to flashing.
The lube I used for the chain was a ceramic lube, more sticky than slick. Used it conservatively.
I changed the oil at the beginning of the season, did not change it before sale, kid told me he would do it. He says he hasn't done it yet, as he only put two miles on the bike leaving the BMV and parking it at his house.
The oil was slightly, and I'm talking 3/4oz overfilled. On last oil change I changed oil and filter, then added the MotorKote on top of it. I only added 3/4 oz. I originally checked with MotorKotes customer service and they said it's safe to use in wet and dry clutch metric bikes. I put nearly 1000 miles on the bike since and had no issues whatsoever.
Let's say the issue is similar to the recall/crankcase deal: would I see any oil build up in the airbox? I'm going to look at the bike tommorrow and I'm wondering what I need to look for. Thanks guys.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old April 25th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #7
kkim

IIRC, if the crankcase vent were blocked at the airbox, you wouldn't have any in the airbox and the oil would have seeped out the connection between the crank and airbox. You can check there for leaks.

Pop the airbox cover and take a look for oil pooled on the bottom just to be sure. If the oil were overfilled that's where the oil would collect.

As far as oil level, when all was said and done, the oil level was between the 2 marks on the sight glass with the bike positioned completely vertical, correct?

Old April 25th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #8
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

If theres any oil in the air box, it collects in that little clear nipple. < see pic

Also, when the air box was plugged(recall cc vent). The motor was blowing gaskets, think it was the valve cover gasket going first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vent.JPG (57.9 KB, 18 views)
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2009, 01:33 PM   #9
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
IIRC, if the crankcase vent were blocked at the airbox, you wouldn't have any in the airbox and the oil would have seeped out the connection between the crank and airbox. You can check there for leaks.

Pop the airbox cover and take a look for oil pooled on the bottom just to be sure. If the oil were overfilled that's where the oil would collect.

As far as oil level, when all was said and done, the oil level was between the 2 marks on the sight glass with the bike positioned completely vertical, correct?
Right at top line as far as I can recall. If it's overfilled what's the worst that could happen? Excess blows out? Burns off? It wouldn't create any
additional pressure and cause a blow out on any seals would it?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old April 26th, 2009, 01:25 PM   #10
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

So I talked with the buyer today. He changed oil and filter as it was due, and said things went smooth. Rode the bike, said anything seemed fine. He conferred with a friend and when they checked the airbox/filter they said it was saturated with oil, and there was small amounts of oil pooled in the airbox. The picture provided above wouldn't load to the full size, but it appears to be the vicinity of where he thought the tube was that was leaking.

So if the filter was loaded with oil, and small amounts in the box, would it be from overfilling?

Old April 26th, 2009, 01:33 PM   #11
kkim

most people unfamiliar with a foam filter are not aware the filter itself is oil treated as part of it's design. is he sure what he saw was motor oil and not filter oil? my filter was sort of over oiled from the factory, but as I remember, they used a almost clear oil for oiling the filter. motor oil would be more brownish to black.

also, did he have the problem before or after he changed the oil?

is he still having an oil dripping problem as of this time?

load the picture as an attachment to the post.

Old April 27th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #12
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Problem solved: in this particular incident, the isuue stemmed from overfilling on my part. In addition to extra oil, I added 1.5 oz of Motorkote. Everything is good now, thanks for the help folks. You'll see me around later this summer when I purchase another 08-09 250R.
Posted via Mobile Device