ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 20th, 2009, 10:44 PM   #1
NaughtyusMaximus
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ex250

How do you get your bike onto the rear stand?

I recently got a rear stand and a set of spools for my bike, and I'm having a hell of a time using it. I've watched a few youtube videos showing people who are used to using the things doing it, but I still need a little help.

Do you put the bike into 1st gear, or leave it in neutral? Do you lock the front brakes on? I assume I'm doing something wrong, but the only way I can get it to remotely work as expected is if I use my foot to block the wheels on the stand from rolling backwards while I lift/push. Even then, when I get the bike up to the highest point, it doesn't feel stable and I chicken out and put the bike back down onto the kickstand.

The damn stand is mocking me right now. I can hear it.
NaughtyusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2009, 11:23 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

What type of rear stand is it? I've used Pit Bulls for years, and once you get the hang of it it's no trouble at all. Put the rear stand in position, put it under the left spool, and start pushing the bike up from a leaning position to closer to straight up and down. With your right hand, maneuver the stand however it needs to go to fit into the spool on the right side of the bike. This will only work if the bike is straight at this point. If the rear stand is put in close to the right place in the beginning, you shouldn't need to move it much at all for the right spool to be sitting in its carrier.

Once both spools are in their carriers on the stand, just push down swiftly on the stand and the bike will pop right up. The bike shouldn't be in gear, and while I've heard that some people clamp on the front brakes, I've never felt the need. The only way it goes bad is if the stand isn't positioned correctly under the spools. The most important part is to confirm right before lifting that yep, both spools are sitting in their carriers A-OK.

If you scroll down to the very bottom of this page, there are a few more links of rear stand-related threads that should have some similar instructions, perhaps even a bit more detailed.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2009, 04:10 AM   #3
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
What type of rear stand is it? I've used Pit Bulls for years, and once you get the hang of it it's no trouble at all. Put the rear stand in position, put it under the left spool, and start pushing the bike up from a leaning position to closer to straight up and down. With your right hand, maneuver the stand however it needs to go to fit into the spool on the right side of the bike. This will only work if the bike is straight at this point. If the rear stand is put in close to the right place in the beginning, you shouldn't need to move it much at all for the right spool to be sitting in its carrier.

Once both spools are in their carriers on the stand, just push down swiftly on the stand and the bike will pop right up. The bike shouldn't be in gear, and while I've heard that some people clamp on the front brakes, I've never felt the need. The only way it goes bad is if the stand isn't positioned correctly under the spools. The most important part is to confirm right before lifting that yep, both spools are sitting in their carriers A-OK.

If you scroll down to the very bottom of this page, there are a few more links of rear stand-related threads that should have some similar instructions, perhaps even a bit more detailed.

Also... what stand are you trying to use? Better yet, how tall is your stand from the floor to where the spool would be sitting if the bike was on it? The taller the stand (higher lift) the more difficult to use.
One of my stands is a $39 Harbor Freight (the black stand) and weighing in at just under 200 lbs, it was all I could do to get the bike up onto the stand (needed an assistant to hold the bike upright)... I had to bounce my weight on it. Once the bike was on the stand there had to be like 8-10 inches clearance between the rear tire and the ground. I shortened this stand about 2.5 inches and now I pop the bike up onto it by myself, with no problems.
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2009, 09:06 AM   #4
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
It's a little easier if you put a block under the kickstand first. A 2x4 works fine.

This raises the bike up closer to vertical so it's easier to line up the right side support. There's also less of that unnerving tipping motion as the bike stands up.

Push down and forward. The bike will move, but it shouldn't move that much.

I don't block the wheels or leave it in gear.

When lowering the bike back down, I hang on to the rear end to make darned sure it tips to the left and I've got control of it as I lower it back onto the kickstand.

Why not enlist the aid of a helper while you get used to it?
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2009, 09:29 AM   #5
Mo1981
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ebony Ninja 250R

I will just balance the bike by holding the strap on the passenger seat with my left hand and tilting the stand with my right.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mo1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2009, 09:43 AM   #6
kkim

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9810
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2009, 10:46 AM   #7
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyusMaximus View Post
I assume I'm doing something wrong, but the only way I can get it to remotely work as expected is if I use my foot to block the wheels on the stand from rolling backwards while I lift/push. Even then, when I get the bike up to the highest point, it doesn't feel stable and I chicken out and put the bike back down onto the kickstand.

The damn stand is mocking me right now. I can hear it.
Foot is good! I use my left foot to hold the stands wheel, then let the bike roll to the stand.

Dont be chicken, once the stand is on the spools. The bikes not gonna tip over
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2009, 08:50 PM   #8
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

What Andrew said - that technique works great. With the 2x4 you will be able to see that the right spool is going to line up and it's all lift, no leveling and then up. Use a friend the first few times if you are still uncomfortable.

Old September 24th, 2009, 08:46 AM   #9
NorCal_250R
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 650R, 08 Ninja 250R, 00 Aprilia SR50 (dead)

I think Pitbull makes a rear stand where the handle is forward now, allowing you to raise the bike from the side...Cyclecat before they went under had a cool stand which would grab the bike while over on its stand, straighten it and raise it all in one motion...

The key is go buy a bike master front stand, the kind where you ride in and get off, they are great....
NorCal_250R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #10
edwinmcq
ninjette.org member

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I ask my girlfriend to pick up the rear of the bike while I slide in the stand. I'm old and don't want to hurt myself.

Old September 25th, 2009, 09:02 PM   #11
subiegy2010
noob in training

Name: Ilya

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R (sold) '05 SV650S

Kind of off topic but what's the advantage to a spool stand over a swingarm stand?
subiegy2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2009, 10:09 PM   #12
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

A rear stand is always lifting the swingarm up. One with spool carriers lifts up from spools you install on the swingarm. If a bike doesn't have spools, the stand instead lifts from the bottom of the swingarm. Spools are much more secure, at least when lifting, as they sit in carriers and can't move fore or aft. Without spools it takes much more concentration and care that the paddles are aligned properly and will lift the swingarm (and the bike) without it tipping to one side or the other.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2009, 09:24 AM   #13
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo1981 View Post
I will just balance the bike by holding the strap on the passenger seat with my left hand and tilting the stand with my right.
Posted via Mobile Device
Seems to me this could be a receipe for disaster if the passenger seat comes loose. The clips and lock that hold it on aren't made to take that kind of pressure and if it comes unhinged your bike will be on it's side before you can do anything about it.
I have a T-Rex and I can hook a spool, pull the bike upright to engage the opposite spool and then use my foot to push down on the handle of the stand until the rear end is up, keeping one hand on the bar and one on the saddle. Takes a little practice, but there's no danger of the bike getting away from me.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote