ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old March 29th, 2013, 11:19 AM   #1
Bones85
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

WIX 24941 vs. K&N KN-401 Oil Filter

Any opinions on these two oil filters?

I've seen some people mention concerns about K&N oil filters and say not to use them but on the other hand several people have used them and haven't reported any issues.

Thanks.
Bones85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2013, 11:24 AM   #2
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

I'd say go with the cheaper one
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2013, 11:29 AM   #3
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I use k&n cuz dey ez 2 find
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2013, 11:29 AM   #4
Bones85
ninjette.org member

I can get them basically for the same price. That's why I'm trying to figure out which one is the better filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
I use k&n cuz dey ez 2 find
Are the O-rings fine? I read that they're actually bigger than the stock O-rings and someone mentioned how this may lead to oil leaking.

From an Amazon review:

Quote:
The first thing I do when I recieve these filters is throw away the larger 90mm o-ring. It may fit in the groove of the filter plate of the 2008 250 Ninja but it is not the same size as the OEM.. the OEM oring cross section is .120"(thickness) the one provided in the K & N kit is .160". The problem with the thicker oring is that it is going to leave a gap between the filter plate and the engine when it compresses. The Gap will eventually cause the oring to squeeze into it and create a "Splitting" point in the oring which will eventually result in a leak. I called K & N and was told that thier "Product Manager" checked it out and it's ok. I asked for thier test data and relibility data which they could not and would not produce only that "No one had called THEM" to report a problem. Thier story is that since no one has reported a problem...its not a problem. If you love your bike like I do, Do your homework check out the info yourself. K & N is oblivious to the problem and were very clear to me on the phone that they don't care. This is a good filter and the only one I run on my bike. I wouldn't pay 2 cents for thier customer support knowledge.. The only thing they know is that no one has called to complain so everything must be ok.. They told me it is ok to use thier oring and I should not worry.. Yeah Right..

Old March 29th, 2013, 11:31 AM   #5
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Considering that with whichever one you pick you will still have to change it out at 3000mi, you should probably get the K&N
AFM #676

Old March 29th, 2013, 11:31 AM   #6
hirubhaiambani
Ninjette Fanboy

Name: HB

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja250

I was told WIX has a smaller pore size than K&N and thus filters better (15micron vs 25 micron or something like that). Not sure if true and never cared to verify. I use WIX and haven't have had problems. But then I ride only on streets and dont race.
hirubhaiambani is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2013, 11:32 AM   #7
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Never had an issue and I use the rings that come with it
AFM #676

Old March 29th, 2013, 11:33 AM   #8
Bones85
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Considering that with whichever one you pick you will still have to change it out at 3000mi, you should probably get the K&N
http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/wix24941.html

10 WIX 24941 for ~$51 shipped vs 10 K&N KN-401 for $49.50 (Amazon)

Old March 29th, 2013, 11:33 AM   #9
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Here's my oil change DIY where you can watch me use the K&N rings

Link to original page on YouTube.

AFM #676

Old March 29th, 2013, 12:48 PM   #10
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Been using the KN-401 for 3 oil changes over the past 10k miles and haven't noticed a leak. As long as you're changing your oil on a regular basis, I wouldn't worry about the technical specs of the filter unless you're doing a lot of racing/track days.

Oil and filters are cheap, try out different brands until you find something that you're comfortable with and that works for your specific needs. Been using T6 and KN-401 and it averages out to ~$15 per oil change and hasn't let me down yet.

Old March 29th, 2013, 01:30 PM   #11
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones85 View Post
Any opinions on these two oil filters?

I've seen some people mention concerns about K&N oil filters and say not to use them but on the other hand several people have used them and haven't reported any issues.

Thanks.
Both are good filters and both companies sponsor NASCAR and other motorsport racing in some way. Should lend a little bit to their credibility. In 2011 WIX partnered with FCL and is now sold and used in Europe as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones85 View Post
....That's why I'm trying to figure out which one is the better filter.
....Are the O-rings fine? I read that they're actually bigger than the stock O-rings and someone mentioned how this may lead to oil leaking.
Most replacement o-rings are a little thicker than the OEM o-rings. They should not and have not been a problem for over 30 years the Ninja 250 has been in production. You will be fine with either one you choose. Just make sure you torque your bolts properly.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2013, 01:38 PM   #12
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

I use the WIX filters due to availability in my area. I would not have any issues switching to KN if they become available at a cheaper price.

Both are quality filters and when used with quality oil I would not worry about it.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #13
SafetyPaws
ninjette.org member

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

What's the advantage to using either the wix or k&n? I've used oem kawi ones and like cheap aftermarket ones that I got from local shop and one time from o'reileys - which were actually same price like $9. Are those filters you wash and reuse for being 5x the kost of oem? a friend of mine who helped me change my oil for the first time a few years ago had a Ducati and he had bought a stainless steel filter. He also used synth along with it. Is that what those filters are, is something like that worth it?

Old March 30th, 2013, 11:37 AM   #14
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
That price is for 10 filters
AFM #676

Old March 30th, 2013, 11:53 AM   #15
beren
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Quote:
I always assumed you wrecked and replaced a bike before needing an oil change.

Old March 30th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #16
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Never had a leak with k&n orings.

Old March 31st, 2013, 01:19 AM   #17
Achilles
Road Rash Master

Name: Mitch

Motorcycle(s): '09 SE Ninja 250r, '98 GSXR 750

I use the K&N along with Mobile 1 synthetic and have had no issues.
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2013, 01:36 PM   #18
SafetyPaws
ninjette.org member

Are those filters any better though? What are the advantages?

-do they make a washable filters that filter better or is that an oxy moron?

Old March 31st, 2013, 05:30 PM   #19
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyPaws View Post
Are those filters any better though? What are the advantages?

-do they make a washable filters that filter better or is that an oxy moron?
The filtering material for the WIX and K&N Filter tend to be a little better than most. If there is any real big advantage, it's going to be the ability to filter much smaller particles. But for everyday street riding and regular/frequent changes, none.

They do make a washable/reusable filter but it may not be worth the cost and also needs a special adapter. The adapter also allows you to use a regular canister type filter on the 250 Ninja

This model washable/reusable filter is use like the standard filter.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2013, 05:43 AM   #20
jconolty
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): Speed Four, 600rr, 250r

K&N is a better filter. I have used them on all my street and race vehicles. WIX is a huge company and makes filters for other filter "brands" they make good stuff but K&N has better quality control and the "o-ring" is better than the wix. Most people have problems with the filter seal because they either don't lubricate it or make sure the old one came off with the old filter.
jconolty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2013, 05:45 AM   #21
jconolty
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): Speed Four, 600rr, 250r

also I stay away from washable filters for the oiling system. if its not cleaned properly and a small piece of debris gets on the wrong side of the element its can ruin valvetrain components, rods, mains, etc.
jconolty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2013, 07:35 PM   #22
SafetyPaws
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
The filtering material for the WIX and K&N Filter tend to be a little better than most. If there is any real big advantage, it's going to be the ability to filter much smaller particles. But for everyday street riding and regular/frequent changes, none.

They do make a washable/reusable filter but it may not be worth the cost and also needs a special adapter. The adapter also allows you to use a regular canister type filter on the 250 Ninja

This model washable/reusable filter is use like the standard filter.
Thanks for the links, interesting but yeah i guess ill try the K&N

Old April 2nd, 2013, 04:39 PM   #23
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

I use k&n filters.
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2013, 07:21 PM   #24
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE- SOLD to maverick9611

I've used both the WIX and K&N, they both do what they are supposed to do! WIX is stock in our bikes and is a good company. Either one will do. I will probably do another WIX this Spring. I order my filter and oil from AMSoil.

No issue with the o-rings, they both come with new ones.

Old April 4th, 2013, 11:03 AM   #25
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

All I can find locally without being special ordered is Fram...For a 250 filter I don't think its a big deal as long as you use something on the regular...

Old October 11th, 2015, 06:31 AM   #26
RONALD915
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ronald

I use the K&N 401 oil filter. I find that the large o ring is oversized for the filter cap. Yesterday when I looked under the bike. I noticed that the filter cap was leaking. I wanna change the filter and oring today. But it's impossible to find a motorcycle shop open on a Sunday where I can purchase an OEM oring.
RONALD915 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2015, 07:37 AM   #27
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilters/ is a good comparison of a lot of different filters. Note that these are the canister ones, so the details may not directly correlate to 250 cartridge filters.
Quote:
One thing should be pretty clear if you have made it through this entire article. While there are dozens of oil filter brands out there, there are only a few actual manufacturers. Most filters you see on the shelf are sold by companies that don't actually make oil filters. The exceptions are Baldwin/Hastings, Champ, Donaldson, Purolator, and Dana/WIX. Those are actual manufacturers and you can be fairly certain of what is inside the can. Although Fram hasn't made filters in decades, it seems that the brand is tied closely enough to Honeywell that you can be pretty sure about what is in the orange can (for better or for worse). Most other brands contract one of these companies to make filters for them. They seem to change from time to time, so one has to be vigilant when purchasing one.
Here are his choices to recommend and avoid.

At least for the canisters, K&Ns are just rebrands with a nut on the end. The car units are identical to Mobil1 and the older cheap AC Delco (made by Champion Labs). Their bike canisters are made by HiFlo.

I personally use Purlolator PureOne filters on my stuff. They use synthetic filter media with a large surface area, and they're quite cheap (I got a handful of them for $3 each last time) and easy to find. Wix is generally pretty good. I've used them before, but they don't seem to be as common around here.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2015, 06:13 PM   #28
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
I personally use Purlolator PureOne filters on my stuff. They use synthetic filter media with a large surface area, and they're quite cheap (I got a handful of them for $3 each last time) and easy to find. Wix is generally pretty good. I've used them before, but they don't seem to be as common around here.
Purolator PureOne (not just the standard Purolator filter) is pretty much the best oil filter out there according to SAE tests, but they don't make them for cycles. The Purolator cycle filters are made off-shore, and are of questionable quality.

I use WIX filters on all of my cycles. US-made and available at NAPA stores in Silver and Gold versions.

I really don't think the oil filter is that critical as long as it's decent.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2015, 07:59 AM   #29
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Purolator PureOne (not just the standard Purolator filter) is pretty much the best oil filter out there according to SAE tests, but they don't make them for cycles. The Purolator cycle filters are made off-shore, and are of questionable quality.
Luckily the 500 uses a size common to many bikes and cars. http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html The PL14610 is a direct fit, plus a bit longer than OEM for some extra surface area. The yellow is ugly on my bike, but it's mostly covered by the chin fairing anyway.

http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/index.shtml is another filter dissection site specifically for (canister) motorcycle filters.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote