ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old August 17th, 2014, 11:55 AM   #1
auntymunga
ninjette.org member

Name: Samantha

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r Ninja

Unhappy Help!!!!!!!! - bike won't start

Okay, that was a little dramatic.. but not really.

Back story: I was doing a U-turn and the bike slipped and cracked my rear set on the right hand side (brake side) so I went to Kawasaki and got a new rear set because the other one cracked and couldn't be used anymore.

Today I fitted my new mirror and the rear set. Everything went well; it was easy enough to install the new rear set... until I go to turn on the bike. Nothing.

The bike powers up but when I try and turn it on it refuses to do anything. No turning of the engine. Nothing. I checked that the red button thingy above the ignition is in the correct position. I tried to hook the battery up in case it was a battery issue with no luck.

What could have gone wrong? The bike was perfect until today? Is there a sensor I can disable or something so that I can go to work tomorrow?
auntymunga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2014, 12:16 PM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Sounds electrical.

First things first... when you turn the key on, do the lights illuminate?

If so, you've got power. If not, then chances are your battery has become disconnected somehow, or you've blown a fuse (attempting a jump start would do nothing in that case).

The only sensor I know of that will prevent the bike from running is the kickstand safety switch, which shuts the bike down if put it in gear without first raising the side stand. Is the bike in neutral when you attempt to start it (green light on)?

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2014, 12:20 PM   #3
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Start by checking the battery voltage. It should be 12.7 or very close. That confirms it's not just a dead (or almost dead) battery. Could it be possible that the ignition was left in the on position after the tip-over?

If the battery reads 12.7, keep the meter on it and read it as you hit the button. That reading will be lower because of the load from the starter, but it should still give you 11V or so. When you stop cranking you should see 12.7 or very close again. If you get a reading like 9V while hitting the button, but 12.7 when not, there is an internal issue with the battery and it needs to be replaced.

Other than that, check the working of any safety switches like sidestand and clutch, and make sure it's in neutral.

EDIT:...adouglas beat me to most of it...
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2014, 12:33 PM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntymunga View Post
..........What could have gone wrong? The bike was perfect until today? Is there a sensor I can disable or something so that I can go to work tomorrow?
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Troubleshooting

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Underst...afety_switches

It is dangerous disconnecting the safety switches if your riding habits don't take those unsafe situations in consideration normally.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2014, 01:08 PM   #5
auntymunga
ninjette.org member

Name: Samantha

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r Ninja

So it must have been a fuse. I changed all of them and it started. Thanks for the suggestions guys!
auntymunga is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 18th, 2014, 06:54 AM   #6
salcuta88
ninjette.org guru

Name: Vlad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R (Sold), 2015 Rocky Mountain Soul (Runs on fat)

I'm glad it did. Ride safe.
salcuta88 is offline   Reply With Quote