ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Notices

Old August 25th, 2016, 09:38 AM   #81
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Had the Derbi out again last night. Oldest boy (Ninjette rider, 6', 140#) aboard. He loves the thing. Wishes it had a bit more acceleration, but once it's above 40 or so it's not bad at all. We were running 75 a few times and he said there was plenty left. The taller gearing (+1T countershaft) helps on that end, but is a slight disadvantage off the line.

Made some slight adjustments to the idle mixture screw and idle speed to get it to 1500. Idles smooth and pulls clean all the way. I've found that adjusting the idle mixture screw to get the highest RPM, then going richer until you hear a slight drop in RPM gets you a good idle and a nice transition off-idle. It's giving you a slightly rich setting that keeps the transition smooth. After that's set, turn the idle speed screw to get the speed you want.

That's the system I use to set the idle mixture on almost any carbed engine as long as the jetting is correct.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old May 9th, 2017, 07:16 AM   #82
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Had the Derbi out this weekend and put about 80 mi on it. Took it to a local cycle meet with over 500 cycles in attendance. Plenty of interesting looks and a fair amount of attention.

Ran pretty well. Temps were in the high 40F to low 50F range, and I richened the needle slightly the day before. Lots of fun on the backroads and curves, but struggles with me on it (175#) from a stop. Once it hits 7500 of so it takes off, but not much going on below that...

Old May 9th, 2017, 05:23 PM   #83
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

nice!

Old May 9th, 2017, 06:39 PM   #84
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Thanks.

Still have a few mods left until it's "finished", but so far so good.

Old September 5th, 2017, 09:17 AM   #85
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
EDIT: If you want to see all of the photos in this thread, you will need to install the "Photobucket Fixer" extension.

This is a link to a "Photobucket Fixer" extension for Chrome - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...giikdkpmcpkaon

There is also one available for Firefox - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...obucket-fixer/

These do work! It makes all the dead photos alive again, so you can view them as usual. It works only for the computer that has it installed, and doesn't fix the thread itself.

Winning!

Since Photf***it messed everything up, I thought I'd at least re-post the before-and-after photos -

Before -

After -

Last futzed with by jkv45; September 22nd, 2017 at 06:39 AM.

Old October 15th, 2017, 01:43 PM   #86
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Jay, if you (or anyone) wants any ninja 250 engine parts for little art/display projects, let me know this evening. Just pay me shipping and I'm happy. I have a pregen engine torn apart in my garage for science at the moment. shafts, gears, assemblies, whatever, let me know.

Pistons/rods are already called for.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2017, 05:27 PM   #87
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Jay, if you (or anyone) wants any ninja 250 engine parts for little art/display projects, let me know this evening. Just pay me shipping and I'm happy. I have a pregen engine torn apart in my garage for science at the moment. shafts, gears, assemblies, whatever, let me know.

Pistons/rods are already called for.
Thanks, but we just sold the last boxes of Ninja parts we had sitting around. Also sold the spare engine. We are completely Ninja-less as of now. Did see a 2004 Ninja 250 on CL locally for FREE the other day! If it had been a few months ago we may have jumped on it, but not now.

Just not enough room - but thanks!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 15th, 2017, 07:28 PM   #88
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Picked this up on Friday -

It's a blast to ride. It has an Arrow chamber and a Mikuni flatslide. Pretty soft until about 7500, but then pulls strong to 11,000.

I need to clean it up and do a few things. Planning to powder coat the wheels blue to match the graphics, get some new tires (same sizes as the pregen), remove a few unnecessary parts, and add some neat finishes here and there.

Euro riders are probably familiar with it, but most U.S. riders have never heard of Derbi.

It's a 2-stroke 50 from Spain.

EDIT: Just figured out this one has a factory 75cc engine, and supposedly only 200 were imported.
I can't see this Photo Bucket stuff. Oh well.

Bill

Old October 15th, 2017, 07:36 PM   #89
Ram Jet

Quote:
EDIT: If you want to see all of the photos in this thread, you will need to install the "Photobucket Fixer" extension.

This is a link to a "Photobucket Fixer" extension for Chrome - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...giikdkpmcpkaon

There is also one available for Firefox - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...obucket-fixer/

These do work! It makes all the dead photos alive again, so you can view them as usual. It works only for the computer that has it installed, and doesn't fix the thread itself.

Winning!

Since Photf***it messed everything up, I thought I'd at least re-post the before-and-after photos -

Before -

After -

It says "It can read and change all your data on the websites you visit." No thanks. Google is intrusive enough.

Bill

Old January 30th, 2018, 07:38 AM   #90
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Got a Marquez Derbi picture framed and hung as a backdrop for the GPR today -

Old January 30th, 2018, 01:15 PM   #91
Ram Jet

Quote:
Got a Marquez Derbi picture framed and hung as a backdrop for the GPR today -

I think you need to take your hobby more seriously.

Bill

Old January 30th, 2018, 05:04 PM   #92
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
I think you need to take your hobby more seriously.

Bill
Commitment!

...or I should be committed...

Old May 9th, 2018, 06:28 AM   #93
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Had the Derbi out last weekend for about a 60 mi run. Struggled a bit with the wind, hills, and me aboard.

Took me a while to remember how to ride it. Under 7500 you are dead in the water. After riding a SV650 for years, I had forgotten what "downshifting" was. The fun starts about 9000, but best not to run much over 12000 if you want it to live a while.

Parked it between a couple other odd-ball European bikes at the spring Crud Run in Pine Bluff, WI -

Old May 9th, 2018, 06:50 AM   #94
Ram Jet

Quote:
Had the Derbi out last weekend for about a 60 mi run. Struggled a bit with the wind, hills, and me aboard.

Took me a while to remember how to ride it. Under 7500 you are dead in the water. After riding a SV650 for years, I had forgotten what "downshifting" was. The fun starts about 9000, but best not to run much over 12000 if you want it to live a while.

Parked it between a couple other odd-ball European bikes at the spring Crud Run in Pine Bluff, WI -

You remind me of the days when I had a Kaw 500 triple and a Triumph Bonneville. It's kind of a mind blower to jump from a bike with the shift lever on the left and jump on the other with the shift lever on the right.

Bill

Old May 9th, 2018, 07:59 AM   #95
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
You remind me of the days when I had a Kaw 500 triple and a Triumph Bonneville. It's kind of a mind blower to jump from a bike with the shift lever on the left and jump on the other with the shift lever on the right.

Bill
That's how that Bultaco Metralla is set up - except it's also a "GP shift" (upside-down) pattern as well.

I've ridden it a few times, and you best be paying attention!

Old May 9th, 2018, 10:19 AM   #96
Ram Jet

Quote:
That's how that Bultaco Metralla is set up - except it's also a "GP shift" (upside-down) pattern as well.

I've ridden it a few times, and you best be paying attention!
I would need a very good night's sleep and an hour of meditation to try it!

Bill