ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 4th, 2009, 08:19 AM   #1
islanderman7
The Sexy Filipino

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2008 (da black one)

Rev Limiters

After watching an anime named Initial D (racing series), questions came up. How do Rev limiters work on our bikes (08+)? Like is it controlled by the tachometer or by some electronic computer that I don't know about?

Is it possible to change the limit up to say 14K instead of 13K? And by doing that, would it be a bad thing?

I'm not riding too fast... I'm flying too low.
islanderman7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2009, 08:22 AM   #2
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

They usually cut either fuel or spark. Seeing that our bikes are carb'd i'd imagine they have a spark cut built into the ignition.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #3
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

do we even have rev limiters? once i wasn't paying attention and i could have sworn i accidentally got mine up to 15k once. that freaked me out. no limiter ever kicked in afaik.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #4
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

I've been up to a steady 13k before and have revved it no load to like 15k. No limiter kicked it. If it had a limiter, I imagine it'd be ignition based.

Old April 4th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #5
kkim

I'm pretty sure I've hit the limiter before when passing cars, but I can't be sure if I'm remembering this on the bike or car. I'll just have to rev it out to redline next time I'm out.

You don't want to increase the cutoff point, if there is one. It's there to protect the engine from revving past it's design limits. I know car guys do it all the time and I know they suffer for their foolishness if they don't have the proper modifications to the valve train.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #6
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

yes we do have rev limiters. i bounce off mine all the time

its the CDI (electronic ignition box) that does it i believe. its programed to cut the power to the plug at a certain RPM. i don't believe its reprogrammable in any way, but you might be able to get an aftermarket one with a higher rev limiter or something... not sure how it all works.

Old April 4th, 2009, 10:37 AM   #7
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

the only reason i can think of the increase the limit is if you were doing heavy mods to the motor internals to gain more HP and RPMs

Old April 4th, 2009, 10:38 AM   #8
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

From what I understand our bikes don't suffer from valve float as the deciding factor of how high it can rev, but the oiling system just can't keep up with anything much above 13 or 14k.

Old April 4th, 2009, 10:38 AM   #9
islanderman7
The Sexy Filipino

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2008 (da black one)

I think my bike has a limiter because when I try to redline it past 13k, the needle on the tach is forced back down to like 11-12k. It won't let me pass 13k.

I'm not riding too fast... I'm flying too low.
islanderman7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2009, 10:48 AM   #10
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
From what I understand our bikes don't suffer from valve float as the deciding factor of how high it can rev, but the oiling system just can't keep up with anything much above 13 or 14k.
um, I know there were oil pressure problems with the pregens and that was a suspected design consideration when they went with the new gen valvetrain decision, but valve float will occur in all engines if revved high enough.

It all has to do with the valve spring rates and the ability to shut at those high revs. Where did you hear about it not being a consideration?

Old April 4th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #11
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Well ya, you can get any motor to valve float, except for Ducatis I guess. I talked to Chris Hill of Performance Psycle about the characteristics of the newgen 250. He's not a Kawi engineer but he has an idea of what's going on.

I'm not saying it isn't a consideration, just that we would have to rev these things past the point of other things failing before the valves float enough to destroy the motor.

Old April 4th, 2009, 11:18 AM   #12
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Yup, we've got a limiter. Keep it in first gear, hold it pinned until it doesn't go anymore, and you'll hit the limiter right away. Our tach is optimistic (just like our speedo), so we don't hit the limiter right when it hits the redline, as the engine truly isn't turning at redline yet; there's some fudge factor in there. But the CDI box is most definitely going to cut out at the actual redline.

But cutting spark only keeps you from spinning the engine too fast under acceleration. If we downshift too many gears and dump the clutch, we have the potential of spinning the engine faster than the redline, and bad things can certainly happen at that point.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2009, 11:20 AM   #13
kkim

interestingly, I wasn't able to find any mention of the limiter in either the service or owner's manuals.

Old April 4th, 2009, 11:46 AM   #14
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Purspeed

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Don't like rev limiters. Don't like what happens when you don't have a rev limiter.

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)
Purspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2009, 11:51 AM   #15
Shift250R
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R

I know for cars they have rev limiters that you can set to what ever rpm. I thought thats what this was about. Then you can rev it up with the clutch in and it wont pass your settings so you can launch off the way you want. It also make a crazy backfire since your limiting under the redline.
Shift250R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #16
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I bounced against the limiter a few times yesterday, I had forgotten that the tach goes crazy. About 1000 revs past the listed redline, the engine hits the rev limiter and stays exactly at the same revs, and the tach needle starts bouncing around like crazy. If you back off the throttle, the tach immediately behaves again.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote