ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 13th, 2010, 09:48 AM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

2008 model clutch cable snapped @ 17,800 miles. Replacement?

I was less than a mile from home and there was no traffic at 1:00AM when it happened so I used clutch-less shifting to get home. I had to be back at work in four hours and I was already on a pretty serious sleep deficit so I wasn't able to look at the routing and see if it was something I could easily do myself with the part.

Anyway, is this something a dealer will have to order specific to the bike or are they able to select a standard cable of the right specifications? I can't really afford to have the bike towed and it's my only transportation, so I'm hoping that it's something I can take care of myself in one day with locally-available parts (I got a ride with the boss this morning).
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2010, 02:32 PM   #2
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Perhaps someone can answer me this: What major parts stores might be local to San Diego? Neither dealer has one.

Old December 13th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #3
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

About the only thing you can do is get on the phone and start calling Kawasaki dealers. Also check the independents, and see if anyone close has a parts bike they'll sell you a cable off of.

This is why I pre-ordered replacement cables (2) to keep in stock, one installed on the bike parallel to the old one and one in a box at home.

Best of luck to you.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2010, 02:45 PM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
About the only thing you can do is get on the phone and start calling Kawasaki dealers. Also check the independents, and see if anyone close has a parts bike they'll sell you a cable off of.

This is why I pre-ordered replacement cables (2) to keep in stock, one installed on the bike parallel to the old one and one in a box at home.

Best of luck to you.
I already called the dealers... No dice. I'll try mom 'n' pop places next.

The parallel idea sounds like a smart one! I guess you'd be the one to ask this then: How involved is the installation? Will I have to take anything off other than the side fairings? Do the replacements include a new rubber piece (mine rotted in pieces)? Thanks!

Your precaution makes it appear like you expect it to happen pretty often. Has this happened to anyone else on the forums yet? I couldn't find any.

Old December 13th, 2010, 03:26 PM   #5
Ichiro
ninjette.org member

Name: Ichiro

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r(sold). 2013 Kymco Super8 150

Replacing the Clutch Cable DIY here:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16000

Lube and Adjust the 250R Clutch Cable:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10016
Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2010, 05:18 PM   #6
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I already called the dealers... No dice. I'll try mom 'n' pop places next.

The parallel idea sounds like a smart one! I guess you'd be the one to ask this then: How involved is the installation? Will I have to take anything off other than the side fairings? Do the replacements include a new rubber piece (mine rotted in pieces)? Thanks!

Your precaution makes it appear like you expect it to happen pretty often. Has this happened to anyone else on the forums yet? I couldn't find any.
It's not that I expect it to happen pretty often, it's just that the consequences of it happening can be fairly bad, such as being in heavy stop and go traffic, and compared to the consequences the cost of the cable is fairly cheap. I've got an '06 so my installation is different, but basically you likely will have to pull the fairing and the tank.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2010, 07:03 PM   #7
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

Quote:
It's not that I expect it to happen pretty often, it's just that the consequences of it happening can be fairly bad, such as being in heavy stop and go traffic, and compared to the consequences the cost of the cable is fairly cheap. I've got an '06 so my installation is different, but basically you likely will have to pull the fairing and the tank.
It takes about an hour, and I removed only the right side fairing for ease of install, but it could be done without.
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2010, 08:42 PM   #8
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Quote:
Now there's a thinker!!!! I'm gonna due the same, cuz you just never know. Thanx Frug. Some of the simplest things are always overlooked......
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2010, 08:56 PM   #9
spicy mayo
ninjette.org member

Name: omar

Motorcycle(s): cbr 600rr, ninja 250

This is definitely something specific to the bike, so your gonna be picking it up from the dealer if not online from somewhere like ron ayers/bike bandit etc.

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID.../Group/Cables_

Check out there microfiche you can order any part of the bike. I usually get my stuff within a week from them.
spicy mayo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2010, 05:40 PM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Well, guys, I got the original cable repaired at Clairemont Cycle Supply in San Diego. The new piece at the end doesn't have the same kind of plastic on the lever end (doesn't feel like slippery Teflon like the original), so I don't know how long it'll hold out for me, but I'm sure it'll get me to work tonight. I'm still going to order a new replacement.

Anyway, the clutch lever feels effortless, which concerns me. When the bike was new it was stiff enough to cause a sore hand due to untrained muscles. The way it is now doesn't feel like it would ever cause discomfort. When I look at the arm the the cable pulls, it appears ever so slightly farther out than I remember (I did have to lift and reorient a couple times when I couldn't just turn it back I to place). Everything seems to function fine.

The old cable frayed and broke right out of the lever's anchor piece with very little left inside it. There were chunks of metal from the anchor piece all I the white plastic sheath and a half-circle cone of space around the point that the cable attaches as if it were pulled to different sides to break off chunks from the piece it goes into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy126 View Post
Now there's a thinker!!!! I'm gonna due the same, cuz you just never know. Thanx Frug. Some of the simplest things are always overlooked......
Well, I realize that it would be kinda tight on a current generation Ninjette after de- and re- routing mine. You could zip-tie it and generally run beside it but it's thick, stiff, and seemingly "spring-loaded" to return to its original shape, so I'm not really sure how you can properly kink the ends out of the way.