ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old September 13th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #1
gtrippleb
ninjette.org member

Name: G

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R SE

A* S-MX 5 vs. Sidi Fusion or Sidi Strada

As you probably guessed, I'm looking for some boots.

I figured after about 4K miles of riding it was time to get some real full length boots. I've been reading most of the threads on boots to get an idea of the what people are wearing and people's thoughts. I've been looking at the A* S-MX 5 along with the Sidi Fusion and Sidi Strada Evo. I was thinking about the Puma Desmos also but after watching the video on SportBikeTrackGear I think it was, the side to side movement was almost as bad as the cowboy/work boots I've been wearing.

I mostly ride 30 miles one way to work (60 miles round trip) and a few short trips on the weekend every now and then. I've been looking around $250 to be my top of the price level and these boots fit in that price range. If I can order them from my local yamaha/honda dealer, I can get 10% off.

I'm looking for somewhat of an all yr round boot and I noticed that the S-MX 5 and Strada Evo come in different flavors but I think I would rather have the vented ones due to riding in the 90+ heat here in NC during the summer. This goes to the Strada also. I tend not to ride in the rain unless I have to, yes I'm a fair weather rider so if they are waterproof or not, doesn't really matter.

So I have a few questions for the folks that might have these boots.
1. Are the vented boots cold in temps less than say 50 degrees? I plan on riding my bike more this yr so I'm gearing up for the lower temps that do every now and then venture this way. Living in MN/ND before, I know what cold does to your body.

2. What type of side movement do these have? I would like some ankle support that woudn't allow an ankle role if I were to crash. I'm thinking I might have to go to a race boot to get this.

3. I have narrow feet so I would like to have something that fits decent and not have my foot moving around in them.

If there are any other full length boots that people might suggest in the up to $250 range, I'd be open to hear your thoughts on those also.

Thanks
gtrippleb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2010, 11:41 PM   #2
ithaca00
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250 (street), 1994 EX250 (Race), 2008 250R (Race), 2000 250 (project), 1991 EL250 (a cruiser!)

Sidis are a good bet for fit and performance. I would recommend a non vented boot if it's your only motorcycle boot. Your feet would get cold/wet in non summer conditions.
ithaca00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #3
gtrippleb
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca00 View Post
I would recommend a non vented boot if it's your only motorcycle boot.
I've been thinking about this also. I figure I could get a non vented boot now and then in the spring/summer, pick up a vented boot. I'd just have to listen to wife ask me why I need so many pairs of boots. She told me her mom wanted to know what I wanted for my birthday and I told her I was looking at some $200 - $250 boots. My wife said, "why do you need them? As long as you stay up right you don't need to get them." I just shook my head.

Old September 14th, 2010, 11:59 AM   #4
ithaca00
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250 (street), 1994 EX250 (Race), 2008 250R (Race), 2000 250 (project), 1991 EL250 (a cruiser!)

I've ridden for all across the US and Canada in everything from sub freezing, snowy moutain roads to the sweltering heat and humidity of the east coast in late summer. I don't think a vented boot is a necessity, even with sweaty feet. A boot dryer might be though

So do what you said, get the non-vented now and if things pan out in the spring get some vented ones. I'd keep an eye out now for vented ones as well since shops want to clear those out during the fall and winter months.
ithaca00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2010, 12:47 PM   #5
gtrippleb
ninjette.org member

This is what I currently wear and my feet don't sweat in them during the hot summer months so I doubt my feet would sweat to bad in the motorcycle boots. Although there is probably more material on the motorcycle boot.

Old September 14th, 2010, 02:07 PM   #6
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

I live in Central Texas, and I can say that my Sidi Vortice Air boots are a blessing in the heat. Granted, I don't own a pair of non "Air" or non-vented boots. Since this is going to be the first cold season with the Vortice Air, I may get a cheaper pair of boots for the winter months if the perforated leather makes my feet freeze.

I guess I figured since I am mainly a fair weather rider (excludes summer heat, unless it is early morning) the "Air" would help make things more comfortable with full gear.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2010, 06:11 PM   #7
gtrippleb
ninjette.org member

It will probably be different once I get my new pair of boots as what I wear now, isn't snug around my calf. So I'm sure I won't have the wind going down my boot to cool my feet off once I get my new boots. If don't snap the strap that goes around my boot to hold the pants around my boot, then the air comes up the pant leg and cools off my foot and lower leg area. My feet get warm with my boots but they don't sweat.

I wear atgatt and depending if the humidity is high, it sucks riding in the heat here in NC. I think it was around 92 or so today but it wasn't so bad as the humidity has been kind of low. In July and August it's really tough sometimes. So I'm sure once I get around to the summer next yr, I'll probably need a vented boot. I wear my fieldsheer 4 season pants with shorts under them and my jacket is a mesh motoboss airspeed 4 and this combo works out good. The airspeed has a wind/rain liner that works pretty good. Recently the mornings have been around 55-60 and I just put the liner in and wear the mesh jacket. Then I take the liner out on the way home as it's normally quite a bit warmer in the afteroon on the way home from work.

I ordered the non vented A* S-MX 5 today. With tax I saved about $7 vs. ordering them online and I keep my money in the area. They are supposed to be in on Thursday so we'll see how they work out.

Old September 14th, 2010, 06:20 PM   #8
kkim

If you get a non vented boot, consider one that has a goretex type liner to help keep your feet relatively dry.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #9
highpsiguy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 1981 Honda Cx500 Custom, 2002 Ninja 250

I have had my Sidis now for 5 years. Very good product. Mine are non vented and waterproof. They have a waterproof membrane at zipper.

Cost me somewhere around 300 dollars. Yes you might get 10 percent off by going thru your bike dealer but don't forget you will have to pay sales tax...7 to 10 percent depending where you live.

Old September 15th, 2010, 05:21 AM   #10
Jerkson
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Yesterday I was just thinking "I wish my SMX 5's came non-vented"

They are SOO comfortable and offer good protection but on cold days I wish I could close the vents. All the stores near me had vented only...

In short: good choice!
Jerkson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2010, 08:44 PM   #11
gtrippleb
ninjette.org member

Quote:
They are SOO comfortable
I would have to agree. I picked up the boots today after work. My first impression after taking them out of the box was, the toe sliders don't seem like they would stay on if I had to actually use them.

The dealership didn't have the boots in stock so I when I ordered them so I used another pair of a* to try on and get an idea of what size to order. I told the guy to order the 10's as the 9.5 seemed a little to tight. When I picked up the boots tonight and tried them on they seemed a little snug and I thought, these can't be tens so I looked on the box and they were a size 9. I thought I don't know how this is going to work. At this time I just had my left boot on and normally my right foot seems to be a different size so I figured I'd try the right boot on and see how they felt. So I put the right boot on and walked around for about 5 - 10 minutes to see how they felt. I had no problem walking around, they were more comfortable than I had thought they would be. There is a band that goes over the top of your foot between your toes and your ankle which seems like it helps with the snugness of the boot.

The non vented are essentially the same boot as the vented except the vents have material that cover them. I'm thinking there might be an extra layer of lining but I can't say forsure being I haven't seen the vented boots in person. What would be nice if they made these with vents you could open or close like some of the Sidi.

Being I just had my bike and my recon 19 tank bag that I use for commuting, I asked the guy if I could leave the box and he said that would be fine. So I gathered my stuff and rode home.

Today was a pretty good day to try them out as the temp was around 90 with the humidty fairly high. I was in stop and go traffic for about 20 miles of my 30 mile commute. Depending on the time of day 15/501 going through Chapel Hill, NC can be quite jammed packed with cars. I could feel parts of my lower back starting to sweat where my pants and jacket over lapped one another.

Needless to say, my feet didn't sweat which is a good thing. I'm sure they would be fine if the temps were a little hotter. Sitting in traffic might be a little rough with the temps around 95 but that's with any clothes you wear. These are similiar to the socks that I wear which I'm sure help some due to the material.
wigwam Merino-Comfort-Expolorer

I noticed I had to be more thorough in shifting as it wasn't as easy shifting due to the stiffness of the boot. I'm sure once I get some miles on them and break them in more, it will be easier.

The soles are pretty sticky. I could sure tell the difference between the a* and the other boots I was wearing when I put my feet on the ground.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the purchase as of now. Time will tell how they hold up and if they will work in higher temps or if I'll need to get a vented pair or not. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old September 25th, 2010, 04:35 PM   #12
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

I picked up the A* smx 5 today on sale with an extra 12% off. I noticed the diffrence right away compared to my work boots. More stable on the pegs, better grip and the felt way more secure and stable. It will take a bit to get use to shifting in them but not to long. I love the easy on easy off. Makes them perfect for an all around boot commuting,street and mountain twists and work as an entry level track boot should that ever come up.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #13
gtrippleb
ninjette.org member

Quote:
It will take a bit to get use to shifting in them but not to long.
It took me about two days I think it was. The first 30 mile ride home from when I picked them up was a little difficult as I was used to my cowboy/work boots being so flexible it didn't take much to shift with them. With the A* I had to put a little more concentration into making sure I fully shifted as I caught myself missing gears. Now that I've had them a few weeks, they are nice and broke in and shifting is back to being second nature. It's a wierd feeling but I feel like I'm faster with them on. I guess it's just the feel of knowing I have more proctection now than what I was wearing.

What other gear do you wear Havok? I was just wondering as looking at your avatar, we have the same bike. We also have the same boot, possibly not the same model. So I was just wondering.

Old September 25th, 2010, 08:50 PM   #14
Havok
Internet Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrippleb View Post
It took me about two days I think it was. The first 30 mile ride home from when I picked them up was a little difficult as I was used to my cowboy/work boots being so flexible it didn't take much to shift with them. With the A* I had to put a little more concentration into making sure I fully shifted as I caught myself missing gears. Now that I've had them a few weeks, they are nice and broke in and shifting is back to being second nature. It's a wierd feeling but I feel like I'm faster with them on. I guess it's just the feel of knowing I have more proctection now than what I was wearing.

What other gear do you wear Havok? I was just wondering as looking at your avatar, we have the same bike. We also have the same boot, possibly not the same model. So I was just wondering.
A* sp2 gauntlet gloves and a fieldsheer mesh jacket for now. I am getting a jacket pants set with in the next few weeks. I got the gloves last week and i cant be happier with them. I ill never go back to short cuffs.

I also know what you mean about faster. I dont feel i am faster but i feel more stable and safe with the boots.

Old September 25th, 2010, 10:17 PM   #15
gtrippleb
ninjette.org member

I realize this should probably be in the what's in your closet thread, but I thought I would reply.

I have a motoboss airspeed 4 mesh jacket and fieldsheer four season riding pants. I also have a teknic chicane style jacket for the colder temps. My gloves are Icon Merc gauntlet and Teknic Lightning Waterproof gloves. The Teknics make my hands sweat which is why I went with the Icon Merc Gantlet for the summers. The Icons would be a better glove if the person doing quality control that day, didn't miss my pair of gloves. The left hand glove has the stuff on the palm about a 1/4" - 1/2" to the right to far and the pinky finger was sewed a little off. I like them though as I can ride in 95 degree heat and my hands don't sweat.

When I bought my first 250r back in 08, I bought a pair of short cuff gloves. After riding with them, I didn't feel like they would protect my hands in a fall so I bought the Teknic gloves. It's gauntlet all the way for me.

I've been thinking about the scorpion hat trick as it has three layers for different weather. I like my motoboss jacket so much that I'm a little reluctant to buy another jacket but for $99 depending on where you buy them, it seems like a pretty good deal.

Old September 26th, 2010, 06:00 PM   #16
Havok
Internet Slut

I made my decision for my cool weather jacket and am going to place my order. I decided to go with the SS coast is clear st jacket and the hell and back pants. I was going to get the he'll and back jacked but then figured 2 back vents, bonded seams and a hydration pack was not worth the extra 150 bucks over the coast is clear one.

I love the smx 5's and am so happy i picked them up. I have the regular ones and was out for a 3 + hour ride with temps near 90 inland and cooler at the coast. Not once were my feet uncomfortable. I got off and had lunch was fine walking around with them. I like that the calf is not so wide that you can have pants out or tucked in. All around great boots.