ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old March 10th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #1
jeffwessel
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 08 250

Cheetah Bodywork

Anyone here have Cheetah bodywork and could comment on the quality? I low sided my 250 this past weekend and ended up cracking every body panel except for the front fender and right tail section. OEM parts look like they are going to total to around $700 plus shipping. I found this street Cheetah kit on ebay for only $350 bidding, $450 buy it now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...Q5fAccessories

Figured I would be able to get the kit and get it painted for cheaper than buying stock parts. Just wanted to see if there were any thoughts about the kit.

Thanks.
jeffwessel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #2
kkim

Jeff,

sorry to read about the lowside. did the bike not have full coverage insurance?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #3
jeffwessel
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Jeff,

sorry to read about the lowside. did the bike not have full coverage insurance?
The bike does have full coverage, so insurance will be covering everything. They are sending out someone in the next few days to look it over.

Old March 10th, 2009, 02:41 PM   #4
kkim

okay.. how will they cover the added on stuff you had that was damaged? will they cover the cost of those too? if so, leave it on. If, not, put as much as you can back to stock because if they end up totaling it, usually you won't have a chance to grab the added stuff off the bike.

I saw the pics... hopefully they total it. Have you checked for frame damage??? radiator support damage??

what are your plans for the bike if they decide to repair it? track bike or put it back on the street?

Old March 10th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #5
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): Bunch of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwessel View Post
Anyone here have Cheetah bodywork and could comment on the quality? I low sided my 250 this past weekend and ended up cracking every body panel except for the front fender and right tail section. OEM parts look like they are going to total to around $700 plus shipping. I found this street Cheetah kit on ebay for only $350 bidding, $450 buy it now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...Q5fAccessories

Figured I would be able to get the kit and get it painted for cheaper than buying stock parts. Just wanted to see if there were any thoughts about the kit.

Thanks.
Quality is nowhere near OEM quality. Cheetah are made in Mexico and they have had a lot of quality control issues. I have a few sets and my painter absolutely hates them. Decent paint is going to cost you $500 from a pro. You're going to kill your resale value. I'd strongly suggest biting the bullet and going with OEM. Just my 0.02

Old March 10th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #6
jeffwessel
ninjette.org member

Quote:
okay.. how will they cover the added on stuff you had that was damaged? will they cover the cost of those too? if so, leave it on. If, not, put as much as you can back to stock because if they end up totaling it, usually you won't have a chance to grab the added stuff off the bike.

I saw the pics... hopefully they total it. Have you checked for frame damage??? radiator support damage??

what are your plans for the bike if they decide to repair it? track bike or put it back on the street?
I have up to $1,000 coverage for accessories on the bike, so they should cover everything. I am still waiting to hear back from the guy who is supposed to come look at the bike because I do not know what I have to do about the aftermarket parts. If I have to get receipts for everything I bought? Or if they will just look up how much the parts (clipons, sliders, and rear sets) would be new.

I have not checked under any of the bodywork for damage yet. I am actually back home in illinois right now for a couple days for spring break (I go to college in Arizona), so I am not by the bike. However, I did drive it home after it went down and it ran fine and felt fine. It was just awkward riding because of the bent handlebar.

I plan on keeping it as a street bike.

Old March 10th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #7
kkim

I would have the bike gone over at a reputable shop to find hidden damage before you sign anything regarding a settlement. Once you sign that check, you are SOL if they find further damage. The guy's job looking at the bike is to get you to settle for the lowest amount to get the insurance company off the hook by having you sign away their responsibility for the crash repair.

if they are footing the bill, make sure every part that has been damaged is replaced with OEM Kawasaki parts or the same aftermarket parts that was there at the time of the crash.

You may have a totaled (cost wise) bike on your hands after a thorough inspection is done. Don't cut corners, especially if you intend to put it back on the road.

I totally agree with Richard... go OEM parts only. Don't try to make money on this payoff, concentrate on getting your bike to 100% the condition it was prior to the accident.

GL... dealing w/ insurance companies can be a headache, but don't give in if you think you have a legitimate stand.

Old March 10th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #8
jeffwessel
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I would have the bike gone over at a reputable shop to find hidden damage before you sign anything regarding a settlement. Once you sign that check, you are SOL if they find further damage. The guy's job looking at the bike is to get you to settle for the lowest amount to get the insurance company off the hook by having you sign away their responsibility for the crash repair.

if they are footing the bill, make sure every part that has been damaged is replaced with OEM Kawasaki parts or the same aftermarket parts that was there at the time of the crash.

You may have a totaled (cost wise) bike on your hands after a thorough inspection is done. Don't cut corners, especially if you intend to put it back on the road.

I totally agree with Richard... go OEM parts only. Don't try to make money on this payoff, concentrate on getting your bike to 100% the condition it was prior to the accident.

GL... dealing w/ insurance companies can be a headache, but don't give in if you think you have a legitimate stand.
Thanks for the tips. When I talked to the insurance company today the lady said that they would be sending out a guy to look over the bike. He was then going to give me an estimate on what he thought it would cost to replace, and the check would be in my name. I would then take the bike to a shop of my choice and bring the estimate and the shop would look it over. If the shop thought it would cost more, I would let the insurance company know, and they would write another check for the difference in the shops name. So we'll see how it works out.

Old March 10th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #9
kkim

Take it to the best, most competent shop you can find. The more expensive, even better. Like I said, I hope they total the bike.

Old March 10th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #10
jeffwessel
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Take it to the best, most competent shop you can find. The more expensive, even better. Like I said, I hope they total the bike.
Wouldn't it be worse if they total the bike? Cause then I most likely wouldn't get nearly as much as it is worth, and then would have to buy it back and it would have a salvaged title, which never looks good.

Old March 10th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #11
kkim

if it's totalled, you will not have the long term problems that might occur if they miss something when it is repaired. If it's discovered later, it's your dime.

If they pay you off, you are free to do with the money as you see fit. Buy an uncrashed, used 08 or if you've been considering it, a bigger bike. it all depends where your head is at, but getting paid off leaves you options.

wait and see how much damage they find and then make your decision. If it's close to being totaled, I'm sure you could talk to the dealer to find a few more things wrong that would put it over the line. The only reason I'm going over this with you is that from the pictures, I'm guessing the repair will be close to the totalling figure.

Old March 10th, 2009, 03:34 PM   #12
jeffwessel
ninjette.org member

Quote:
if it's totalled, you will not have the long term problems that might occur if they miss something when it is repaired. If it's discovered later, it's your dime.

If they pay you off, you are free to do with the money as you see fit. Buy an uncrashed, used 08 or if you've been considering it, a bigger bike. it all depends where your head is at, but getting paid off leaves you options.

wait and see how much damage they find and then make your decision. If it's close to being totaled, I'm sure you could talk to the dealer to find a few more things wrong that would put it over the line. The only reason I'm going over this with you is that from the pictures, I'm guessing the repair will be close to the totalling figure.
Gotcha. Well thanks again for the help/tips. I will definitely let you guys know what the insurance company decides to do.

Old March 10th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #13
Justanothermp5
ninjette.org member

Name: Simon

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

dang, i might just buy that and let you guys how it goes

all i would need is an extra tank and i could change the color of my bike whenever i wanted
Justanothermp5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2009, 10:44 AM   #14
jeffwessel
ninjette.org member

Well I just heard from the insurance guy, and he said the bike is being totaled. I have to wait and hear from the total loss guy and find out how much they are going to give me for the bike, and how much it would cost to buy it back. He said that I could either take the aftermarket parts off and put the stock ones back and on sell the parts myself or re use them if I get another 250. Otherwise I need to print out prices for the parts, and they will give me depreciated values for them.

What do you guys think would be best regarding the aftermarket parts? I would like to get another used 250, but to be honest I don't think I would want to pay $4,000 +

Old March 11th, 2009, 11:46 AM   #15
kkim

are the aftermarket parts usable? if not, let them pay the depreciated value on unusable parts. if they are usable, take them off and put the stock parts back on. For value of the AM parts, go to the website for each of the parts and print out the MSRP for each to establish value.

If you don't like the what the figure is they want to give you for the totaled bike, check the local sources to see what bikes are selling in your area for. Craigslist, newspaper, eBay are all good sources to establish the bikes value. Of course, use only the higher examples.

The check they will want to initially write you will most likely seem low. If you think it is, again, don't sign accept or sign any paperwork. The amount is negotiable. It will take a few back and forths before you settle on the final amount.

GL... let us know if you should need help along the way.

Old March 11th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #16
ajaygraci
ninjette.org member

Name: Angelo

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ninja 250r, black, carbon fiber full exhaust...2000 toyota 4runner

alll u have is scratched fairings and they are totaling the bike ?!?! wont ur insurence go up if its listed that u totaled a bike?
ajaygraci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #17
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

insurance companies total bikes for fairing damage all the time.

as for your aftermarket parts: from what i remember in your picts, you only have a ground down foot peg (not a big deal and replacable if it bothers you), and a bent clipon bar (just replace the tube... cheap). keep that stuff and let them total it. either buy it back from them or buy a new (to you) bike.

i got my 08 with 5500 miles on craigslist for $2600. it had some beat up plastic, but that was it. if you're patient you can find a good deal. no need to pay 4k for a new one... you're wasting your money. i'll probably never buy a new car or bike again.

if you do keep your bike, be patient and watch ebay for plastics rather than buying new. racers pull of the stock plastics and sell them. it might take a while to get ahold of everything you need, but it'll be worth the money you'll save. in the mean time you can ride it naked

Old March 16th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #18
jeffwessel
ninjette.org member

Well I am still waiting to hear back from the total loss person. I had to call the insurance company back again today to figure out why I haven't heard back yet, and I guess I didn't get assigned to anyone yet because the main lady in charge of my claim is out of town until next week. I ended up talking to the manager and she said she would assign me to one, and I should hear from them in the morning.

I did find out, however, that the appraiser said my bike would cost $2,726 to repair, which only included 5 hours of labor. Not sure how they are getting it that high cause I priced the pieces new to be only about $1,400. They also said that the value of the bike was around $3,100, which is why it was considered totaled, because the cost of the bike to repair is too close to the cost it is worth.

Unfortunately, I found out that if the bike is considered totaled, I will NOT be able to buy it back. According to Illinois law, if a motorcycle is 8 years old or newer (2001-2009) and it is totaled, the owner may not buy it back. Even though I am in Arizona with the bike now, it is registered in Illinois and has Illinois plates and everything, so I will most likely have to follow Illinois rules.

They are going to end up doing some research and do a market survey to see what the average 08 250 is selling for, and will hopefully settle on a higher value. Depending on how much higher the value they decide on is, they may no longer consider the bike totaled.

So I guess now I can just hope for the best!

Old March 16th, 2009, 05:28 PM   #19
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tor

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r (*sold*), 2010 Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwessel View Post
According to Illinois law, if a motorcycle is 8 years old or newer (2001-2009) and it is totaled, the owner may not buy it back. Even though I am in Arizona with the bike now, it is registered in Illinois and has Illinois plates and everything, so I will most likely have to follow Illinois rules.
wtf? That is flippin crazy. I've never heard of anything like that before.. That really sucks man, good luck.
GreezMunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #20
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Jeff - there are ways around everything if you really want it to work I'm sure you could get your roommate or another friend and then sell it back to or 'give' it to you
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #21
jeffwessel
ninjette.org member

Just thought I would post up an update to anyone that might be interested in what is going on. They ended up saying that my 08 250 was only worth about $2,800 and want to give me $700 to add on to cover my $1,000 worth of accessories on the bike, making it a total of $3,496 before my $250 deductible. They quoted the damage to be $2,342.86 worth of parts and $384 worth of labor. They said that they would let me keep the bike and do a contract repair (making it not totaled) If I can find some parts for a bit cheaper, around $200 cheaper overall.

I was thinking about maybe doing this because I know someone who can get me OEM parts for cheap, however on the appraisal sheet they did not even include the right tail section and fairing! So I think I may just be better off letting them total it.

I told them to do more research on the bike though and see if I can get a better price.

Anyone else have their bike totaled? How much did insurance end up giving you for it?

Old March 30th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #22
Quiks66
ninjette.org member

Name: Billy

Motorcycle(s): '07 Ninja 250, '87 FZ600

I had my 600RR totaled a year ago and I was given more from the insurance company than I could have sold it for. I bought it a year and a half earlier for $4600 and my insurance company paid me $6300 for it after tax. Not bad.

In CA they are not allowed to use KBB values but have to rely on reports from 'local market sales" which more accurately reflect the going price for you vehicle if you have a special/limited/more valuable edition. Find out what the law is in your state and get the most you can from it.
Quiks66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #23
jeffwessel
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiks66 View Post
I had my 600RR totaled a year ago and I was given more from the insurance company than I could have sold it for. I bought it a year and a half earlier for $4600 and my insurance company paid me $6300 for it after tax. Not bad.

In CA they are not allowed to use KBB values but have to rely on reports from 'local market sales" which more accurately reflect the going price for you vehicle if you have a special/limited/more valuable edition. Find out what the law is in your state and get the most you can from it.
That is what I am in the process of doing right now, unfortunately the lady said according to Illinois law, craigslist, ebay, and other "newspaper" sources don't count. That is pretty unfortunate since the only three 2008 ninja 250's in the chicagoland area on craigslist are going for $4k, $4k, and $3.8k.

Old April 2nd, 2009, 09:47 PM   #24
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mikel

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, '95 Ducati 900SS/CR (undergoing track conversion)

Late to this party:

Regardless of whether you are in AZ or IL, your policy is for IL, so you have to abide by IL's rules. Buy Back is really touchy right now because of the number of people having their cars allegedly get stolen, then recovered either totally wrecked or torched or stripped etc. in order to get out of their loans.

Since you are in AZ, did the accident happen in AZ or IL?

It is possible that the bike could be Valued based on Arizona, where it might carry a higher valuation.

Ebay, Craigslist and other classifieds are a poor source for valuation, especially Ebay. Those sources are merely "Asking Prices" and do not reflect the actual selling price of the vehicle. Sure you see a "Bid Ended" $4000, but did the buy ACTUALLY pay that $4000 or was that the seller's buddy trying to bump the bidding? Did the bidder actually pay? These are things you just don't know. I can list a bike on Craigslist for $5000, but turn around and take $2500 cash for it instead, but that ad said $5000...

Instead they call around to shops and ask what they would think they could get for your bike prior to the damage it took. Again, our market here in AZ is better then IL because of our longer riding season, so used bikes can carry a higher selling price. Might want to ask the adjuster where his valuation is based.
wyckedflesh is offline   Reply With Quote