Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 28th, 2015, 10:17 AM   #1
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Thoughts on the DRZ400SM

Any thoughts on the DRZ400SM? Anyone have (or had) one?

Since I have both a 250 and a 300, I will be selling the 250 pretty soon and I'm thinking about adding an around town bike to the stable and just can't but have a grin on my face when I think about this bike.

Note: I've never ever ridden dirt before. Absolutely zero experience. And for my purposes, this bike will most likely be ridden on the street 99% of the time (as there are no legal trails around me).

I'm just looking for opinions for those of you who have owned a dual sport bike. What's the handling characteristics like? Is it completely different compared to street riding?

What I'm afraid of is that I'll like this bike so much that I will no longer ride the 300 anymore.

Your thoughts?
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2015, 10:27 AM   #2
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
I was told it is fun but terrible on the highway so I'm sure you'll still have a use for the 300.

Old March 28th, 2015, 10:36 AM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
its only got 5 gears and tops out at 75 right?

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 28th, 2015, 11:30 AM   #4
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Around town, you're gonna love it!

I've never ridden a DRZ but if it's anything like my KLX but with more power, then it will be a blast. I've ridden with a guy on the local backroads who had one and he was wheelieing that thing like it was nothing. I was super jelly.

But it's gonna be really easy to ride, and even more flickable than a Ninja 250/300. And they are great for around town riding. You can easily maneuver and see around traffic even easier than on a ninjette. Get one, you won't regret it.

But yes. They will suck on the interstate.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2015, 12:00 PM   #5
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

I have had some dual sports and a sumo but not a drz, my buddy still has one and he likes it for mostly offroad. On the street specifically his comments are... Hard and narrow seat, great visibility in traffic but zero wind/rain/cold protection, pegs are very small and the 5 speed makes highway terrible... All his words, not mine but this echoes what I would say about any of my previous bikes in the same range. Now get that bike in the right environment and it's a blast!
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2015, 12:20 PM   #6
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
I want one.

Old March 28th, 2015, 01:22 PM   #7
SMman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Danger

Motorcycle(s): 15 CBR300R, 14 BWS50, 09 FZ1, 09 Ninja 250, 06 CRF450R Motard, 03 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
its only got 5 gears and tops out at 75 right?
5 gears but it will do 100mph. I've owned mine for 8 years and its a blast. 6 speed, fuel injection, and longer range would be nice but can't complain overall. I used mine for a 1.5 hour commute each way every weekend and had no complaints about the highway ride. Feel free to ask any questions and I will try to help.

I wish other Japanese manufacturers would build factory supermotos. I had to buy a converted Honda CRF450R for the track. It has more power than my DR-Z400SM, plus lots of goodies like a slipper clutch, but maintenance is much more involved.

Old March 28th, 2015, 02:18 PM   #8
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
you know whats nice about carbs? they still bump start with a dead battery

Old March 28th, 2015, 06:25 PM   #9
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Never actually thought about this. I've only bump started with a good battery.

Old March 28th, 2015, 10:57 PM   #10
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
The drz has a kickstarter and an electric start, so no bump start needed, but this makes me think. Does it kick start with a dead battery? Because if not, thatd be weird and pointless.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2015, 08:12 AM   #11
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
It should kick start with a dead battery.

I love the DRZ400SM in theory. I want one badly because they look like a blast. But I sat on one, and they're uber tall. You have to get the back end to squish down in order to get decent feet on the ground. For those of us who are in the 130 lb range, the back doesn't squish much. I can get one foot down comfortably or tippy toe, and I have no problem flat footing any supersport I've sat on. I'm sure I'd be fine, but it would take some learning. I now know how short ladies feel on the 250, but I still wouldn't consider lowering the bike. Instead, I'd learn to stop with one foot and get used to being so high up.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2015, 08:36 AM   #12
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
I want a supermoto so bad that I've considered selling my zx.

Old March 29th, 2015, 08:37 AM   #13
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Around town, you're gonna love it!

But it's gonna be really easy to ride, and even more flickable than a Ninja 250/300. And they are great for around town riding. You can easily maneuver and see around traffic even easier than on a ninjette. Get one, you won't regret it.

But yes. They will suck on the interstate.
Jono sums it up nicely. I feel the same way about my baby KLR I’ve had for the last 15 months. A thumper is torquier and more fun in town than the Ninjette. Kept the dual sport, sold the Ninjette.

The KLR250 will go 70+ on the freeway, but the front end is way too twitchy for comfort. A 400cc SM will probably be just fine on the freeway.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2015, 09:18 AM   #14
Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post

I love the DRZ400SM in theory. I want one badly because they look like a blast. But I sat on one, and they're uber tall. You have to get the back end to squish down in order to get decent feet on the ground. For those of us who are in the 130 lb range, the back doesn't squish much. I can get one foot down comfortably or tippy toe, and I have no problem flat footing any supersport I've sat on. I'm sure I'd be fine, but it would take some learning. I now know how short ladies feel on the 250, but I still wouldn't consider lowering the bike. Instead, I'd learn to stop with one foot and get used to being so high up.
Do you really flat foot both feet when you come to a stop? I can flat foot just about every bike but I rarely have two feet on the ground when I ride. I'm more likely to put both feet down on my SV because it's a fat turd. Haha. 140 pounds heavier than my KLX. It's easy to put down just one foot on lighter bikes. The seat height thing shouldn't be that big of a deciding factor when thinking about purchasing a dual sport/SM. Hell, even if it does tip over, the worst damage to these bikes might be a little scratch if you're unlucky.

Quit making excuses and get a freakin supermoto already.

Old March 29th, 2015, 10:39 AM   #15
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yepp, I put both feet down every time. I land on the left foot so I can brake to a stop with my rear, then put that foot down when I stop.

nah. More important things to spend money on. Can't have a fleet while in college. Don't have time or money or storage for a fleet. I'm pretty content with the things I have now. What I want is more time with my family, not another motorcycle.

Old March 29th, 2015, 11:10 AM   #16
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
i don't think fuel injection works with a dead battery... electric fuel pump needs to prime first, computer needs to start up and start triggering the injectors to open...

Old March 29th, 2015, 11:51 AM   #17
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
... for my purposes, this bike will most likely be ridden on the street 99% of the time (as there are no legal trails around me).
It's this kind of thinking that makes people buy enormous 4WD SUVs for the few days a year when they actually need one.

So, you'll get a bike with compromise tires that aren't ideal for either street or dirt... a bike that may be fun but excels in neither environment...

Doesn't it make more sense to spend most of your money on a bike that's perfect for the 99% of riding you do, and buy an inexpensive off-road toy for the other 1%?

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2015, 12:17 PM   #18
dcj13
Participant

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
It's this kind of thinking that makes people buy enormous 4WD SUVs for the few days a year when they actually need one.

So, you'll get a bike with compromise tires that aren't ideal for either street or dirt... a bike that may be fun but excels in neither environment...

Doesn't it make more sense to spend most of your money on a bike that's perfect for the 99% of riding you do, and buy an inexpensive off-road toy for the other 1%?
Huh? Factory Supermoto bikes come with nice sticky street tires. A 400 would make a great street bike! Great torque right off idle, good handling, quirky dirt bike looks.

Old March 29th, 2015, 12:32 PM   #19
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
i don't think fuel injection works with a dead battery... electric fuel pump needs to prime first, computer needs to start up and start triggering the injectors to open...
It's carbureted with gravity fed carbs, no?

and "dead" battery usually has SOMETHING left in it, however small that may be.

Old March 29th, 2015, 12:36 PM   #20
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
Huh? Factory Supermoto bikes come with nice sticky street tires. A 400 would make a great street bike! Great torque right off idle, good handling, quirky dirt bike looks.
But the implication in the OP was that it would be used in part off-road... even if only 1% of the time.

So unless tire changes are part of the picture, it's going to be rigged for dual-purpose, right?

Old March 29th, 2015, 12:47 PM   #21
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Meethinks Mr Fist just doesn't like trucks

Old March 29th, 2015, 12:58 PM   #22
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
It's carbureted with gravity fed carbs, no?

and "dead" battery usually has SOMETHING left in it, however small that may be.
it was a string about wanting 6 gears and efi on the thing

Old March 29th, 2015, 01:18 PM   #23
tfkrocks

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
But the implication in the OP was that it would be used in part off-road... even if only 1% of the time.

So unless tire changes are part of the picture, it's going to be rigged for dual-purpose, right?
My understanding of it was that he would just take it off-road as is in street trim. You know, the same way some of the more adventurous ninjetters take their 250s off-roading

Old March 29th, 2015, 01:36 PM   #24
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
it was a string about wanting 6 gears and efi on the thing
ohhhhhhh.

reading is hard.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 29th, 2015, 06:34 PM   #25
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
My understanding of it was that he would just take it off-road as is in street trim. You know, the same way some of the more adventurous ninjetters take their 250s off-roading
Correct. I will not getting a set of wheels for off-roading duty. If it does go off road (fire roads like this).....

.....it will be in street trim.

The main purpose of it will be around town riding. I will still have the Ninja 300 for 50mph highway riding.

Because I have both a 250 & a 300, it doesn't make sense to keep both as they both serve the same purpose. I looked at making the 250 a track bike.....but just can't afford trackdays. Started doing some math and it's pretty expensive.

So instead of having two "road" bikes, I thought have one that's both road and dirt....mainly focusing on road.

Most supermotos come with sticky road tires (that are around OEM Ninja 300 size).

I don't know.....maybe it's the hooligan in me. I like riding my mountain bike down stairs. Just the thought of a motorcycle doing that makes my heart beat a little faster (although I would NEVER do it). But it kinda brings out the inner kid.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old March 29th, 2015, 07:25 PM   #26
dcj13
Participant

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Correct. I will not getting a set of wheels for off-roading duty. If it does go off road (fire roads like this).....

.....it will be in street trim.

The main purpose of it will be around town riding. I will still have the Ninja 300 for 50mph highway riding.

Because I have both a 250 & a 300, it doesn't make sense to keep both as they both serve the same purpose. I looked at making the 250 a track bike.....but just can't afford trackdays. Started doing some math and it's pretty expensive.

So instead of having two "road" bikes, I thought have one that's both road and dirt....mainly focusing on road.
When you get the DRZ-SM, you'll be riding it a lot more than the Ninjette.

Old March 29th, 2015, 08:39 PM   #27
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
When you get the DRZ-SM, you'll be riding it a lot more than the Ninjette.
This was my experience too. Sold my Ninja 250 when I got my KLX. Got a SV650 for longer rides and interstate riding. Around town, I'd rather be on the KLX. And from what I've read, the DRZ is better than the KLX, so you're gonna love it.

Also, It's worth riding down stairs at least once. But as you can see in that video, going up isn't as easy and eats up your rear tire.

Old March 29th, 2015, 10:29 PM   #28
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
What's ironic is that the last bike I sold was a 2nd gen SV650. I got the ninja 250 to replace it because I was riding it locally more than interstate rides. I loved the 250 so much that I got a 300 as a 2nd bike! But now I don't ride the 250 anymore because the 300 can do everything the 250 can do.

So maybe the best choice for me is to get the DRZ or the smaller KLX as a commuter and in town bike, and save up a bit for a cruiser for longer rides? But that doesn't make sense either since my long rides are normally just 100 miles. I only make the 400-500 round-trip rides once a yr visiting friends in VA or Boston.

Old March 29th, 2015, 10:49 PM   #29
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
You don't have to decide on your whole bike lineup now. Get the DRZ and decide what you want after that based on how you like it.

Old March 30th, 2015, 05:57 AM   #30
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Most supermotos come with sticky road tires (that are around OEM Ninja 300 size).
So... you're gonna ride on gravel/dirt roads with sticky street tires?

I confess that I don't know squat about dual-sports because they're just not my thing. I thought that to do both on and off-road you'd want compromise tires, not street tires.

Like this:

So great for loose surfaces, but what about the other 99% of riding? Acceptable sure, but as good as real street tires that'd suck on a gravel road?

Old March 30th, 2015, 11:30 AM   #31
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
So... you're gonna ride on gravel/dirt roads with sticky street tires?
Correct. Since I'll probably ride dirt roads less than 2x a year, I would stick with sticky street tires since I'll be riding on the street 99% of the time.

Quote:
I confess that I don't know squat about dual-sports because they're just not my thing. I thought that to do both on and off-road you'd want compromise tires, not street tires.

So great for loose surfaces, but what about the other 99% of riding? Acceptable sure, but as good as real street tires that'd suck on a gravel road?
You hit the nail right on the head. That's why I'm not willing to compromise. Not willing to get tires like they put on the Ducati Scrambler since it'll be riding on asphalt all the time.

During times I do hit some unpaved roads, I'll enjoy the suspension doing its thing. I've ridden my 250 on unpaved roads before (1/4 mile long) and it's not that much fun....especially when you hit uneven ruts accidentally. I'm hoping the supermoto will handle that with its long suspension travel.

I actually thought about getting the Ducati Scrambler....but it'll have to be my only bike and I'm just not willing to give up both my 250 & 300 for it.

Old March 30th, 2015, 11:42 AM   #32
Jono

Quote:
What's ironic is that the last bike I sold was a 2nd gen SV650. I got the ninja 250 to replace it because I was riding it locally more than interstate rides. I loved the 250 so much that I got a 300 as a 2nd bike! But now I don't ride the 250 anymore because the 300 can do everything the 250 can do.

So maybe the best choice for me is to get the DRZ or the smaller KLX as a commuter and in town bike, and save up a bit for a cruiser for longer rides? But that doesn't make sense either since my long rides are normally just 100 miles. I only make the 400-500 round-trip rides once a yr visiting friends in VA or Boston.
I think that a DRZ and Ninja 300 would be a good combo.

Old March 30th, 2015, 12:32 PM   #33
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Looking for a used one in good shape. I'm hoping the previous owner has the same mentality I do......only street riding. This way I know it isn't that beat up! But they're hard to find!!! Are they not popular bikes? Or do people just hang onto them?

On another note: Earlier today, I got a cash deposit for my 250. He'll be back on Wednesday to give me the rest of the money and take the bike. A bitter sweet moment.

Old March 30th, 2015, 12:59 PM   #34
Bigballsofpaint

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

Saw this when i picked up my ducati, it peaked my interest since i originally went looking for a KLX...might be more than you want to spend though. (they dont really haggle on price fyi)

http://www.thecycleexchange.com/new_...65&pov=4161573

Old March 30th, 2015, 01:45 PM   #35
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigballsofpaint View Post
Saw this when i picked up my ducati, it peaked my interest since i originally went looking for a KLX...might be more than you want to spend though. (they dont really haggle on price fyi)

http://www.thecycleexchange.com/new_...65&pov=4161573
Yeah, a little more than what I want to spend. I don't mind an older bike with more mileage if maintenance has been performed. I'm working with a $3,500 - $4,000 price budget.

Old March 30th, 2015, 02:40 PM   #36
dcj13
Participant

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Looking for a used one in good shape. I'm hoping the previous owner has the same mentality I do......only street riding. This way I know it isn't that beat up! But they're hard to find!!! Are they not popular bikes? Or do people just hang onto them?

On another note: Earlier today, I got a cash deposit for my 250. He'll be back on Wednesday to give me the rest of the money and take the bike. A bitter sweet moment.
I know the bittersweetness you're feeling. Congrats on the pending sale.

The PO possessed my KLR250 for 9 years and never took it off road: Sweet deal for me! I think most folks who buy SMs get them for 99%+ street use.

Old March 30th, 2015, 03:42 PM   #37
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Supermoto's are awesome! They're even more fun when you can switch to dual sport mode too.

ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2015, 09:17 PM   #38
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Can't imagine you can ride that husaberg without risking it blowing up. They're race bikes, aren't they?

Old March 31st, 2015, 08:55 AM   #39
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
Can't imagine you can ride that husaberg without risking it blowing up. They're race bikes, aren't they?
While that may have been true for earlier generation Bergs, the 70° engines have actually been proven to be very reliable, relatively speaking. While they aren't a Honda or BMW street bike that you can easily put 100k trouble free miles on, for a 450 single they are as reliable as anything out there. I've heard of 45,000 kilometers being put on these engines with no rebuild.

Keep in mind too that it's a play bike for me. I wouldn't choose it for a daily driver, but I usually take it out 2-3 times a week and most of those rides are less than 100 miles. I've put more miles on it in a day but after 100 my butt gets pretty sore. I have no problems though taking it for a long ride and certainly don't worry about it "blowing up".

It does require more maintenance than your typical street bike but I knew that when I got it and that's a compromise that I was willing to make for the performance. That being said I've taken apart the top end a few times just to see how it looked and everything has been fine. My bike has over 200 hours on it now and the valves haven't even needed adjustment.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2015, 07:33 PM   #40
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
While that may have been true for earlier generation Bergs, the 70° engines have actually been proven to be very reliable, relatively speaking. While they aren't a Honda or BMW street bike that you can easily put 100k trouble free miles on, for a 450 single they are as reliable as anything out there. I've heard of 45,000 kilometers being put on these engines with no rebuild.

Keep in mind too that it's a play bike for me. I wouldn't choose it for a daily driver, but I usually take it out 2-3 times a week and most of those rides are less than 100 miles. I've put more miles on it in a day but after 100 my butt gets pretty sore. I have no problems though taking it for a long ride and certainly don't worry about it "blowing up".

It does require more maintenance than your typical street bike but I knew that when I got it and that's a compromise that I was willing to make for the performance. That being said I've taken apart the top end a few times just to see how it looked and everything has been fine. My bike has over 200 hours on it now and the valves haven't even needed adjustment.
How many miles is that? I want a bike like the exc 500 in my future, but I'm afraid it would be horrible for riding on the street. Thoughts?

They're very maintenance intensive.