ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old March 29th, 2015, 01:32 PM   #1
Dsheumaker
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 14 Ninja 300 (Track Only), 07 CRF150RB

Dust seal and clip

So i am in the slow process of doing my fork seals, i say slow because i ordered the wrong seal kit the first time. As i wait for my new seals to come in i have my forks dissembled and have a few questions. My first one is this.. When i removed one of my dust seals i notice the clip below it was rusted and caused corrosion on the seal it self. Do i need to get new clips or would just sanding the ones i have be fine. I am going to try to attach the pics after this. How do you guys clean the grossness out of the bottom of the lower tubes? My copper bushings are all faded but are not pitted or anything, is this ok? Last one, not sure what this part is called but order the lower tube "horn" attaches, theres is a little piece of something like rubber? Will this affect the seals at all? I think thats it for now, im sure there will be more once i get the seals.

Here are the rusted clips

The corrosion on the old dust seals

The worn copper bushings

The raised lip on this part

my apartmnet work space... fun
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0610.jpg (119.0 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0607.jpg (114.9 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0612.jpg (118.7 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0608.jpg (55.9 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0606.jpg (80.2 KB, 52 views)
Dsheumaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2015, 05:10 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Free bump for more views.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2015, 06:28 AM   #3
Dsheumaker
ninjette.org guru

No suspension guys yet???

Old March 30th, 2015, 09:11 PM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

http://www.dansmc.com/forks.htm
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2015, 09:34 PM   #5
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
If a part is cheap and you have doubts, replace it. Personally, i dont see an issue with corrosion on that particular part, but maybe someone else who knows more could weigh in.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2015, 06:03 AM   #6
Dsheumaker
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
That site just looked like a how to on the forks seals... but the pic of the clip looks about the same as mine and he didnt mention anything special about the clip.

I began cleaning the clips last night, i think i will be able to restore them to their original state. Thanks guys

Old March 31st, 2015, 07:37 AM   #7
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Interesting. It looks like something damaged the seal to cause it to rust. You should be fine reusing the old clips after cleaning it. Just give it some lube to prevent it from rusting. Best bet would be to replace it. Parts are cheap.

What did you use to remove the seals off? Did you buy the bike used and were the forks leaking prior? The raised piece is just the alignment guide for the fork stanchion protector thing. I would cut it down or make sure everything is sitting flush so that your seals are doing what they're intended to do and keep things from coming in and out.

To clean out the old stuff, you can spray some brake clean in there and let it drain out the fork bottoms until it runs clear. You want to make sure it's clean of all that grit or else it'll impregnate itself into the bushings.

Last futzed with by cuong-nutz; March 31st, 2015 at 06:14 PM.
cuong-nutz is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 31st, 2015, 09:11 AM   #8
Dsheumaker
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
Interesting. It looks like something damaged the seal to cause it to rust. You should be fine reusing the old clips after cleaning it. Just give it some live to prevent it from rusting. Best bet would be to replace it. Parts are cheap.

What did you use to remove the seals off? Did you buy the bike used and tr forks were leaking prior? The raised piece is rubber is just the alignment guide for the fork stanchion protector thing. I would cut it down or make sure everything is sitting flush so that your seals are doing what they're intended to do and keep things from coming in and out.

To clean out the old stuff, you can spray some brake clean in there and let it drain out the fork bottoms until it runs clean. You want to make sure it's clan of all that grit or else it'll impregnate itself in the bushings.
Thanks for the response! I am going to reuse the clips, just sand then till there's no rust. It appears that it's just surface rust with no pitting or anything.

I followed one of the DIY posts to remove the seals, I used the edge of a box cutting to loft the dust seal off and then I pulled the fork tube out and then removed the oil seal. It is the dust seal that appeared to have the most damage. Yes I just bought the bike, it wasn't leaking when I bought it, or he did a good job cleaning it up so it didn't look like it was leaking. I noticed the leak on my second ride on it. I'm waiting on my seals to come in now

Old March 31st, 2015, 09:31 AM   #9
verboten1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
personally if I am that far into it, I'll replace the bushings as well. it's a wear part, and a "while I'm in there" kind of thing to me.

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2015, 09:52 AM   #10
Dsheumaker
ninjette.org guru

As i plan on making suspension changes in the future i am going to just replace the seals and clean everything up. Now if the seals start leaking again or if i have other issues ill tear everything apart and replace everything. Thanks guys!