ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 15th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #1
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

Question Bad stumble/hesitation

My bike had been sitting all week due to the rain, when I took it to the store a few minutes ago. I let it warm up as I was gearing up and zipping the liners in my jacket. When I took off it was reving fine like it was warmed up, except between 4-6k when it would just fall on its face at WOT, I went for a short 10min ride riding the hell out of it assuming it would fix it, and it did.

Anyone else have this problem after its been sitting for a few days? Its sat about this long once before and I had a lot of trouble starting it, but it ran fine once warmed up, this time it started up fine, but was running like crap between 4-6k RPM.
Cedilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2009, 06:27 PM   #2
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

Possibly it wasn't fully warmed up? Thats the only thing that I can think of since further riding seemed to get rid of the hesitation

Old October 15th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #3
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

Thats what im thinking, but usually when its not warmed up it will just die anytime I give it full throttle below 7 or 8k, tonight I could give it full throttle right from the get go and then it would just want to die, right as I hit 4k, it just seemed so well defined.
Cedilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #4
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

I have had similar instances. One time in particular, after riding for a mile the bike died at a light. Pushed it out of the street and let it get to temp and no problems. I've ridden to work with no problems only to take a ride at lunch and have to wait for it to warm up because it would bog out. But warm up issues seem to come and go, rain or shine. Let it warm up five-ten minutes and you should be alright.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2009, 07:31 PM   #5
killerkay3
=°°=

Name: Imran

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha R6 / 2008 Green Ninja 250 (Sold)

my bike does the same thing if I dont let it warm up for long enough

Old October 15th, 2009, 11:20 PM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Definitely the cold-blooded aspect. They all do this to varying degrees. Mine takes over 10mins to properly warm up w/o choke (as the experts say to do).
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #7
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

First off I'm not going to broad brush you all as having your first bike going into the first seasonal change but - that could be the issue.

First - Ninja's are cold blooded and if the majority of your experience has been on relatively warm days you haven't experienced the need for the choke to start and for the bike to be fully warmed up (~10 min of street riding) to run like it did during the summer.

Second - most people are used to FI vehicles and most of the issues with internal combustion vehicles and temperature changes are handled by the FI and engine computers. You don't experience the problems with hard start, stumbling, sluggish performance until warmed up.

Third - and most important FUEL. If you live in an area that is starting to have large temperature swings you are going to be more prone to moisture condensation in the gas tank. Even if you have good gas, with a partial tank you have an air space and as the temperature goes down at night with the right humidity level and temperature (dew point) the water will form on the inside of the tank. Keep the tank level up and DO NOT use any of the Ethanol fuels since they like to absorb the water.

Cold weather - use the choke to start, some choke until fully warmed up, and full tank of gas. Use Sta Bil or Sea Foam to keep the water problem at a minimum.

Old October 16th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Where do you find guaranteed E0?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2009, 08:18 PM   #9
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Don.. here's the problem in Dallas and Tarrant counties. They have mandated that all gas stations sell only ethanol added fuel. You can't find a 1 that is providing the old fashioned 100% unleaded gasoline. Therefore its impossible to do. Seems the counties are trying to reduce emissions for the govt dole out for roads improvements, etc. Sooooooooo down here we are screwed due to the current levels of air pollution swirling thru Texas. I'm wondering about usin Stabil tho to compensate. Seafoam hasn't been the best solution to this problem I too have been experiencing.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #10
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Guys.... shim carbs, blah blah,
FACT: engines that use Carburators WILL bog,act funny in moist,cold dry aired weather,etc!!!

Anyone ever have a older truck/car WITHOUT FI?
I had a Monte Carlo SS, and boy the Cold weather made it hard to start,run,etc at times! Its just a part of life. Your Not gonna get a Carb'ed Engine to Perform like a FI engine!

Ill also add that ALL the Mowers and Machines at my Work, are Carb'ed and are a Bitch to Start Now till and through Winter! Specially when its FREEZEING outside... we go out to the pullbarn where our machines are outta the openweather, but subjected to the cold, and sometimes the Choke cables freeze up, even with spraying them with wd-40 before winter. most of the time we have to hook up the Torpedo Heater, aim and BLAST it right at the Motor and let it sit for 20mins to heat up the engine,the oil inside,etc... then i sometimes starts!
Our work dont have the budget to have a Heated pullbarn, get all-new machines,etc!

ok rant is over!
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2009, 07:25 AM   #11
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

The lack of FI is about the only thing I don't like about my Ninja after 2 seasons of riding. Carbed bikes seem so...prehistoric in this day and age. I can live with it given the bike's numerous outstanding features.
Don't be revving your throttle too high when the bike isn't warmed up yet. Cold engines don't like that.
My bike starts like clockwork every time. Full choke, gradually reduced over about 3 minutes until the engine is purring along unassisted at 1500rpm and that's it.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2009, 05:29 PM   #12
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpionNinja View Post
Guys.... shim carbs, blah blah,
FACT: engines that use Carburators WILL bog,act funny in moist,cold dry aired weather,etc!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
Don't be revving your throttle too high when the bike isn't warmed up yet. Cold engines don't like that.
My bike starts like clockwork every time. Full choke, gradually reduced over about 3 minutes until the engine is purring along unassisted at 1500rpm and that's it.
I know many are left with nothing but some variation of Ex fuel. As TrueFaith said start on full choke and take it easy until you are warmed up. Yea it's a pain but here is something else to think about. If the weather is cold enough that the Ninja is stumbling a little guess what else is cold and you don't what problems from If you said your tires give yourself a pat on the back . . . Hey maybe that's it, an engineering design feature to keep you safe in cold weather; bike can't make good torque until engine is warm and by that time the tires should have some heat in them - naaa.