Notices

Old July 24th, 2010, 06:35 PM   #41
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
I would have to side on the non-contact direction of this topic... does kicking a door really make more noise than a horn? is it more recognizable to someone that they're encroaching on someone else's lane? is coming close enough to a cage to contact it with your foot really safe when they're coming towards you? i would think a horn + avoidance would be the best answer to inattentive drivers. i always try to stay in a safe spot away from side-traffic and blind-spots. stupid inattentive people will always be stupid and inattentive, no matter how many doors get kicked in. people who only use their mirrors to look will always only use their mirrors until they kill someone. just make sure you're not that someone!

perhaps a horn upgrade is in order!
I also have used my horn before. But if you are to ask me whether my horn gets the same attention as when I've had to reach my foot out to kick, I would say no. Don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting that this is a good way to deal with cars encroaching on your lane. But when they get within inches of you, it works.

I also reccomend offensive riding. That is, protecting your lane, and putting yourself where the cars are not. But there are times when you have no choice. When traffic is heavy or backed up, you don't always have the option to get away from the cars.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2010, 08:31 PM   #42
subiegy2010
noob in training

Name: Ilya

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R (sold) '05 SV650S

Wait, so you locked your brakes several times and the other guy just "slowed down" with you. He had to have been slamming on his brakes too and I don't think Camry brakes are as good as Ninja brakes.
subiegy2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2010, 10:49 PM   #43
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Well he did force me into a turning lane so I guess he would be slowing down with me. I slowed down quicker than he did though and went around him from the back, then got in front of him after crossing the intersection at which point he turned as a flipped him off.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2010, 04:05 PM   #44
DRivero
ninjette.org guru

Name: Debbi

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250 (Sold); 2008 Ninja EX500

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
Next time, leave a size 12 boot print in his door panel.
You know, whenever I've had a close call with a car, my adrenaline level has shot up.....as a result, once I know I'm safe, I am PISSED OFF at that driver. Small wonder, since he/she nearly caused my death.

HOWEVER, this always crosses my mind: I have an acquaintance who was riding one night on I-95 and a car cut him off....like, scared the hell out of him. My friend put a boot print in the guy's door; the driver returned the favor by forcing my friend and his bike into the wall, putting him in a coma for a month.

It's not fair to heap ALL the responsibility on the motorcyclist, but I think if you want to stay alive, you gotta think that way anyway. It's ten times the work, riding a bike vs. driving a car. Luckily it's worth it!

Old July 26th, 2010, 04:14 PM   #45
Blackwidow
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRivero View Post
HOWEVER, this always crosses my mind: I have an acquaintance who was riding one night on I-95 and a car cut him off....like, scared the hell out of him. My friend put a boot print in the guy's door; the driver returned the favor by forcing my friend and his bike into the wall, putting him in a coma for a month.
OMG that totally sucks! I hope someone saw that and took down license plates or something.
Blackwidow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2010, 04:38 PM   #46
rustler753
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 09' Ninja 250 (SOLD); 00' CBR 929RR

Had a guy merge on top of me, threw me off the road and broke my collar bone. Follow kkims advice, never ever ride next to a car. They don't care.

The guy is going to get away with it too, no witnesses, and he admits to nothing.
rustler753 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2010, 05:13 PM   #47
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
I would have to side on the non-contact direction of this topic... does kicking a door really make more noise than a horn? is it more recognizable to someone that they're encroaching on someone else's lane? is coming close enough to a cage to contact it with your foot really safe when they're coming towards you? i would think a horn + avoidance would be the best answer to inattentive drivers. i always try to stay in a safe spot away from side-traffic and blind-spots. stupid inattentive people will always be stupid and inattentive, no matter how many doors get kicked in. people who only use their mirrors to look will always only use their mirrors until they kill someone. just make sure you're not that someone!

perhaps a horn upgrade is in order!

Most definitely....a boot to door is GUARENTEED to get their attention. I have a feeling that the reason for its efficiency is that the resulting THUD is sufficient to get their minds into the "I just ran over something" mode. This usually results in them awaking from their cellphone induced retardation, and snapping back into reality.

Unlike horns which dont mean squat..especially to people in Georgia, they use horns to say hello to their friends across the intersection, signal that the light has changed, get their buddies to come outside,etc.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2010, 05:17 PM   #48
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Quote:

It's not fair to heap ALL the responsibility on the motorcyclist, but I think if you want to stay alive, you gotta think that way anyway. It's ten times the work, riding a bike vs. driving a car. Luckily it's worth it!
Sorry to hear that. Bike vs. Car, car almost always wins. When I was talking about kicking a car, and when I have done it, it was more to get the driver's attention than it was to retaliate against a driver who cut me off, or to cause damage to their car. Also for me, both times have been at relatively slow speeds.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2010, 11:20 PM   #49
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Quote:
Wow that is horrible, that thought crosses my mind as well. In reflection of what I could have done I thought I could get in front of the car to make him stop and get his plates, but if he is really an ass like I felt he was he could have simply continued to drive right through me.
but I guess when the opportunity arises I will just have to blow by other cars as safely as possible, its kind of weird how my attitude changed from being in a car cause in a car I normally blast by people I'm passing so they don't get a chance to do dumb s***

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2010, 10:44 AM   #50
Chris250
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Pissing off an already pissed off cager even more isn't a very bright idea. If it's his bike vs. their car, it's pretty obvious who's gonna win. That said, hope your friend is ok.
Chris250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2010, 10:48 AM   #51
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

Personally, I'd like to get a shotgun and pull off the 1 handed terminator reload while riding a bike
demp is offline   Reply With Quote