ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old March 10th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #1
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

Question Answer some of these questions for me plz!

Has anyone found a perfect matching thunder blue rim stripes yet? If, so, Where at?

I am looking to buy a helmet online, are their any brands that you would say are under rated? (hjc, kbc, vr1)

Where is the best site to buy a helmet other than newenough, motorcycle superstore, and ebay. And are these prices drastically different to retail cycle stores?
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2009, 09:59 PM   #2
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

These guys are in CA and are awesome:

http://www.helmetcity.com/
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #3
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

cool, thx wayne for the fast input

Old March 10th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

I've gotten good deals on Arai helmets from these guys in Florida. If you have a particular helmet in mind, check out the online price, but then call them and see if they can provide an even better deal.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2009, 10:40 PM   #5
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

yea, my price range is 200 and lower lol

Old March 10th, 2009, 10:57 PM   #6
Verus Cidere
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

For that price, I'd go with a smaller brand. Assuming, since you're on this forum, that you'll be riding a 250, an HJC helmet is good enough. I would suggest upgrading to Arai or Shoei sometime, but HJC has worked for me, and several of their designs aren't bad looking. Under $200 though, you're probably not gonna find race quality helmets. I'd also suggest not buying off of eBay, as you can't guarantee that the helmet hasn't been damaged and won't be on the way to you. My motto for helmets as given to me by older riders and MSF rider-coaches is buy new from the dealer. It may be a bit more expensive than online, but you get a guarantee to go with it. Just my opinion of course.
Verus Cidere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2009, 11:00 PM   #7
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

im planning to buy NEW (of course, you can never tell the integrity of a helmet) off of ebay (contradictory?) a kbc racer http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-K...Q5fMerchandise

what do you think?

Old March 10th, 2009, 11:05 PM   #8
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verus Cidere View Post
For that price, I'd go with a smaller brand. Assuming, since you're on this forum, that you'll be riding a 250, an HJC helmet is good enough.
mind explaining that?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2009, 11:08 PM   #9
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
mind explaining that?

actually, yea, explain yo self! I currently have a suomy vandal but I like having a choice in which helmet I am going to ride with therefore potentially buying that kbc racer helmet, kkim, what do you think about this helmet? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-K...Q5fMerchandise

Old March 10th, 2009, 11:19 PM   #10
Verus Cidere

You can't go 210 mph on a 250. The really good helmets are geared to take impacts at speeds much higher than our little ninjettes can handle. The HJC helmets are definitely not good enough for those situations, but for general town riding or even a little quicker than that, it's more than enough. Sorry if I stepped on some toes or something. I know many people on the forum have other bigger bikes, which is why I specified for the 250. Feel free to disagree with me. I'm not here to start an argument or anything. What I said was strait from what I've been told by good friends who've been riding for years, rider-coaches, and a couple of racers I know. Correct me if I'm wrong though. I like to think I know what I'm talking about, but if I don't I wanna know the truth. Again, sorry if I offended anyone.

Old March 10th, 2009, 11:30 PM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
The really good helmets are geared to take impacts at speeds much higher than our little ninjettes can handle.
Howdy! You certainly aren't offending anyone, but I don't think this statement is fully accurate. Any helmet you'd want to purchase has both DOT and Snell certification. The DOT certification is basically the manufacturer saying it meets the standard, and the Snell certification means the Snell foundation actually bought some samples of the helmet and tested it against their standard. Both certifications have changed and improved over time, and along with that helmets are improved.

Bottom line, you can pay $700 for a DOT/Snell approved helmet, and you can pay $100 for a DOT/Snell approved helmet, and as long as both fit your head correctly, the safety differences between the two of them are minimal, if they exist at all. The additional dollars spent on a high-end helmet buy you better shields, better shield mechanisms, better comfort, more options such as fully removable liners, better materials, better venting, lighter construction, better graphics, higher quality paint, better warranty, better customer service, and perhaps a bunch of other factors I've forgotten.

Helmet safety also has very little to do with a bike's top speed of 100 mph or 190 mph. The helmet has to decelerate our skull, and the brain inside of that skull, when it hits something in the space of about an inch of padding, max. The sad truth is that if it hits anything solid at 40+ mph, and that solid item doesn't give, there isn't a helmet out there that will protect you from catastrophic head injury. The impact of most helmets hitting things is the helmet hitting the ground, which is more like a 6 foot fall, rather than a full-speed --> zero mph instant hit. Want to walk away with no or limited injuries after a crash? Don't hit anything hard with your body. We've all seen people crash at 100+ mph and walk away, even if they hit their heads, but the impact of hitting your head on the ground while you are sliding along at great speed really isn't that great.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old March 10th, 2009, 11:38 PM   #12
kkim

The misconception that you can only get hurt at much higher speeds is false. The helmets all meet the same safety standards, so no matter if you buy a cheap or expensive one, they will have passed the crash testing if they have the proper stickers. (snell, dot, etc.) What you buy with higher priced helmets (most times) is a higher level of finish, greater comfort and features.

What I strongly disagree with is that because this bike can "only" go 100 mph, you don't need top notch gear. I don't know many street bikes that can go 210mph and if you do that speed on the street, you deserve to die if you crash... just please don't take any one else with you. I doubt any helmet will stand up to a 200mph impact.

That being said, you are mistaken to think that just because this is a 250 you don't need good gear. Almost everyone here will say to gear up every time you ride and to use the very best gear you can afford, from head to toe. Minimize your chances of injury by buying good gear, no matter what you ride and then wear that gear each time you ride.

Old March 10th, 2009, 11:46 PM   #13
Verus Cidere

These things are true and I agree with them. I see my mistakes. My bad. (Just to let you guys know, I do wear the gear every time I ride, provided I'm not going a half-mile an hour moving my bike from the back yard to the street.) However, I still wouldn't get a helmet on ebay, especially if it's being shipped by UPS. Nothing against them, but the ground service has been known to be very bad on jostling stuff around. Unless I've been told wrong on this, regardless of what helmet you get, it'll only take 1 good impact and then it's best to get a new one. If that's true, my gut says get it from someplace you can pick it up and walk out with it when you pay.

On the note of always wearing the best gear, and the dot/snell stickers, I bought my HJC before snell started testing them (if I remember correctly, they didn't start testing HJC's until just recently. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that as well.) so it doesn't have a snell sticker, just the DOT one. Should I invest in another helmet that does have it or is DOT good enough?

Old March 10th, 2009, 11:54 PM   #14
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Some of HJC's helmets are DOT/Snell, some are DOT only.

Click on their main page: http://www.hjchelmets.com/, then click on "Street Helmets".

And right from that page you can click on the FS-15, which is listed as DOT/Snell, and the FS-10, which is listed as only DOT approved. I'd feel more comfortable purchasing and wearing a helmet that is both DOT/Snell, but I don't believe it's inherently dangerous to be wearing a modern helmet from a well-known manufacturer that is only DOT approved. Which model do you own?

Old March 10th, 2009, 11:55 PM   #15
kkim

The biggest advantage of buying from a shop is that you can try it on and see if it fits your head shape. Fit is a very important component of it doing it's job of properly protecting your head. As for dropping it in shipment... how do you think it was shipped to the shop or that the clerk didn't drop it just before putting it on the shelf?

If you have a good shop and want to see them survive, then by all means buy the helmet from them. If they are a sleazy, rip off operation, try the helmet on there, then go online and buy it elsewhere.

If your helmet is less than 5 years old and has a DOT sticker, you'll be fine. There are supporters and detractors of both the leading testing methods. Just be sure it has some sticker to show it's passed a safety standard.

Old March 11th, 2009, 12:00 AM   #16
Verus Cidere

I have a CS-R1. It's only DOT approved apparently. It's comfortable, it fits right, it looks good, but is it safe enough? I've been planning on getting a Shoei for a while anyway 'cause the idea of all the better stuff on it sounded good to me. Think I should speed up the process of upgrading so the snell approval comes with it?

P.S. thanks everybody for the info.

P.P.S. On the note of other gear, what would you guys suggest for jackets/gloves? I've been told that getting gloves with knuckle guards for street riding is a bad idea 'cause if you go down and a car runs over the knuckle guard it can sever your fingers. Is that true or are knuckle guards a good idea? I wear a jacket with basic elbow/shoulder/back armor, but it's only nylon. Is that good enough?

Old March 11th, 2009, 06:32 AM   #17
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

I have the Silver (MC5) version of this HJC (Snell/DOT) and it's reduced by $100, since new models were introduced:

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/h...nell+approved#
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2009, 06:36 AM   #18
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Quote:
I've been told that getting gloves with knuckle guards for street riding is a bad idea 'cause if you go down and a car runs over the knuckle guard it can sever your fingers.

Depending on how a car runs over your knuckle, you're probably going to lose more than a finger, whether you have knuckle guards or not! YMMV
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2009, 09:26 AM   #19
zeroth
weekend rider

Name: JC

Motorcycle(s): '05 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
The sad truth is that if it hits anything solid at 40+ mph, and that solid item doesn't give, there isn't a helmet out there that will protect you from catastrophic head injury. The impact of most helmets hitting things is the helmet hitting the ground, which is more like a 6 foot fall, rather than a full-speed --> zero mph instant hit.
Great point, Alex! I've heard that more $$$ won't get you more safety, but your above point really drilled it into me: Helmets don't protect you from horizontal impact (i.e. 100mph or 200mph), they protect you from vertical impact (i.e. falling off the bike and hitting the ground). Now it really makes sense that $100 can protect you as well as $700.

Having a $110 HJC helmet as my first one really punctuates the point for me, as well. The lining is smelly now, and is nonremovable (at least not easily). It gets hot in there in the summer, with mediocre ventilation. There is no sun shade and wearing sunglasses inside the helmet is all but impossible. It's a plain white color.

So if more expensive helmets make you safer, it's only because you're more comfortable and can focus on (and see) the road better ... or because you'll be more likely to wear it every time you start up your bike!
zeroth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2009, 09:37 AM   #20
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Scorpions are a great helmet that are under rated. I got mine for about $120 or so. Also Zox is becoming a known helmet name as well.

Good luck!

Old March 11th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #21
athimmel
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - blue

I have been convinced by the experts that the helmet is something you should never skimp on. I was shown how some helmets meet the government standards, but don't go much higher. Arai is one that goes far beyond standards, though.

I was asked in a very straightforward manner: What is your brain worth to you? Is it worth a couple of hundred dollars more to make sure that if you do hit the pavement, that your brain stays protected? I bought an Arai at a very good price.

Estimate that if you don't hit the pavement, a good helmet will last 5 years. If you spend $500, that's $100 per year. You spend far more than that on insurance. A good helmet is just another aspect of insurance.

That's my two cents...for what it's worth.
athimmel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2009, 10:25 AM   #22
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
These guys are in CA and are awesome:

http://www.helmetcity.com/

Have bought two helmets thru theses guys. I would give them a call thou, they tend to give a better deal than whats listed on there site
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #23
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by athimmel View Post
I have been convinced by the experts that the helmet is something you should never skimp on. I was shown how some helmets meet the government standards, but don't go much higher. Arai is one that goes far beyond standards, though.

I was asked in a very straightforward manner: What is your brain worth to you? Is it worth a couple of hundred dollars more to make sure that if you do hit the pavement, that your brain stays protected? I bought an Arai at a very good price.
It's marketing, coupled with trying to guilt people into spending more for what they believe to be better protection. There's no science to it. There's no truth to it. Between my wife and I, we have 8 helmets in the garage right now, and 6 of them are Arais, so I certainly believe they are worth it for all of those other reasons listed in this thread. But believing that your head is safer in them than another certified helmet is just that, a false belief.

It's definitely worth the time to read this article from Motorcyclist Magazine about helmet safety. Some of their conclusions actually changed quite a bit about the Snell 2010 standard, to bring it more in line with the other helmet standards around the world.

Old March 11th, 2009, 11:34 AM   #24
athimmel
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - blue

Well, I'm certain that you know far more than I do. I'm a relative rookie.

I think both sides in the article are really trying hard to prove their point. Motorcyclist trying to make things less expensive for the rider; Snell trying to show that their testing is valuable. Both make valid points.

In the future, I think what I will do is try to find a balance between helmets with a good reputation and price. Reputations are usually made by those who have survived a fall and walked away because of the protection they wore.

I like the Arai. It's expensive, but it fits well and feels well made. Will I try another brand in the future? Ask me in a few years!
athimmel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #25
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by athimmel View Post
I think both sides in the article are really trying hard to prove their point. Motorcyclist trying to make things less expensive for the rider; Snell trying to show that their testing is valuable. Both make valid points.
Yup, Snell fought hard in that article, but check out what they did when they revised their standard. Here's a link to Snell's M2010 standard, which replaces the 2005 standard that was used in Motorcyclist's article, that the Snell folks were defending so strenuously. Two significant changes are they now use different size and weight headforms for different size helmets, and the impact force was lowered to be significantly closer to the DOT standard. At this point there is less of a dichotomy between DOT and Snell 2010 than there was between DOT and Snell 2005.

But the discrepancy between the standards still doesn't directly relate to helmet costs. There are inexpensive helmets with both DOT/Snell certification, and there are very expensive helmets with just DOT certification. Yes, some very cheap helmets are somewhat less likely to be both DOT & Snell approved, and the high-end helmets usually have both certs, but there are many exceptions on both ends of that continuum. Suomy makes some incredibly nice helmets that aren't Snell approved, as they believe the European standards are safer to design for.

Much of this is more academic than real-world anyway. Real world advice? Buy a decent helmet that you're happy with, fits correctly, and is comfortable for you. Buy a new one every five years or if it is in an incident that crunches the inside protective liner or cracks the outside shell. (Dropping it off the seat of your bike with your head not in it does not crunch the inside liner in any way and is unlikely to damage the shell).

Old March 11th, 2009, 12:20 PM   #26
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

woah, my thread got five stars

thx for all the info guys on the helmets! it is greatly appreciated.

Old March 11th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #27
hogfan83
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

look for somethine from the Scorpion EXO-700 series...im very happy with mine and i think it was around $240

Old March 11th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #28
Syphen
Some weird Canuck!

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): '92 CBR250RR "Babyblade", 2008 Ninja 250R, 2001 CBR600F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTyke View Post
Scorpions are a great helmet that are under rated. I got mine for about $120 or so. Also Zox is becoming a known helmet name as well.

Good luck!
ZOX and Vega are both garbage brands and I would never trust my head in one.

I own HJC, Icon, and Scorpion helmets currently. A couple of each. I really like the Scorpions but the new Icon Airframes are a great helmet for the price.

KBC and Shark can both be had for a good price right now because both lines are going under.
Syphen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2009, 04:13 PM   #29
devinjc
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 205 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTyke View Post
Scorpions are a great helmet that are under rated. I got mine for about $120 or so.
Seconded. There was a hmm UK helmet test where the EXO 700s rated out quite nicely relative to all the others tested. I'm much too lazy/busy to track down the link atm though.

I know I love mine, haven't impact tested it though.

Edit:
Ok not too lazy, think was http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

And apparently there's been some controversy about the Sharp testing methods regarding frequency of front or side impact since I last looked at it

Last futzed with by devinjc; March 11th, 2009 at 04:18 PM. Reason: added link to expound on babble
devinjc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #30
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
While I was at Bike Week I had the honor of watching the races with a guy who told me he has the best prices on helmets, jackets and boots. His website is;

http://www.motorcycles508.com/

I'm not sure how his prices are in comparison with others however, I have purchased from him for years in the past and I have never had a problem with any purchase.

I have no afilliation with this company but give it a try and report back if you feel it is worthwhile.

Old March 11th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #31
kkim

lol... I ordered some dirt bike boots from that shop a few months ago. He had the lowest prices on the make/model I was shopping for on his Ebay store. The in shop prices weren't all that great, but when he puts it on Ebay, he is very competitive.

I had some issues with the first pair being too small and he took them back and exchanged them without a problem.

it's pretty neat you got to meet him.

Old March 11th, 2009, 10:21 PM   #32
zartan

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

Thanks for the link CC , He has some good pricing!!
yep my new Arai was much cheaper there then at my local dealer.
I kind of winced when I saw that. Since TR got it for me for a late Xmas pres. in March Then again I have to remind myself that it is ok sometimes to pay more to keep our locals in business. Plus they fixed me up with the right sized cheek pads etc..

My Arai was 10 years old and I didn't realize it until I counted it out. Holy cow,where does the time go??
Tried on many styles and brands and the Arai. Fits and feels the best for me.
Not saying you have to pay a fortune but comfort is a big deal to me.
I liked the Shoei looks alot but just couldn't get a fit.

Alex thank you for the Motorcycle mag article I will take the time tomorrow and read it!

Old March 11th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #33
Verus Cidere

Agreed, thanks for all the info guys. I'm definitely looking into a better helmet in the future. =]

Old March 12th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #34
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I've actually known the guy for 25 years. In my pictures of the bikes I have, or had, he is standing in front of my Harris on the grid at Daytona. I raced with his brother who owns numerous bike dealerships (mostly Harley shops now). I've bought, and sold, many bikes with them and have pruchased most of my equipment from them over the years.

If anyone purchases anything from him and they want to mention my name I'm pretty sure he'll charge you double.

Old March 12th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #35
ARc
Revolver Wario

Name: Jeffrey

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250

Logo Dude
@OP: Here is a website that had me kicking myself for a couple of hours

Competition Accessories

They have the Shoei Diabolic and Artifacts for $299! Arai helmets too but they're a little moar expensive

Old March 13th, 2009, 02:57 PM   #36
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tor

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r (*sold*), 2010 Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00v_Lucky View Post
Has anyone found a perfect matching thunder blue rim stripes yet? If, so, Where at?
I'm still looking for those myself as well...
GreezMunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #37
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I have two HJC helmets--one has the chin guard and is in effect a full helmet. I like that one on the highway and for long trips. I think that one is their top of the line and went for $220. The other is what I would guess is a 3/4 helmet--full face shield but no chin guard. I don`t get as claustrophobic in it. In the past, I always rode with a Bell Magnum--about 40 years. Crashed my Super 7 at Lime Rock in 1965. The safety harness failed and I got thrown out of the car--probably going about 80+. I managed to scrape the helmet so bad that it got down to the foam and the liner. It definitely saved me. I was going to get another more modern Bell, but our local motorcycle shop (not a dealer) talked me into the HJC with the chin guard and the second HJC which looks and feels like the trusty Magnum. Both helmets are white.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #38
kazam58
Sarcasm: Yea that'll work

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

I have an HJC CL-15 helmet. It was cheap, which is what I needed when I was buying my bike because I was so low on cash, but I like it. I have no basis of comparison, but I won't go looking for another helmet anytime soon. It might not be as light or aerodynamic as the helmets for $100 or $200 more, but it's got the same safety ratings and it fits great.
kazam58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #39
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Before I bought anything, I asked several of the riders at work 2 questions about helmets, what would you buy if cost was no object and on a budget.
The answers to the former was pretty much shoei and arai, the latter almost exclusively scorpion, which is what I got, a exo-400, and so far have had no problems with it, except a lot of wind noise above 35 or so, I got the aero skirt and it reduced the noise some, but not to the level that I would ride without earplugs.

nb