Notices

Old June 8th, 2013, 04:50 AM   #1
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Long distance riding?

For those of you who are ballsy enough to travel long distances on the Ninjette, how many miles (or hours) can you ride in a day? Hypothetically speaking, if one wanted to ride, say, across the country, how many miles are feasible to travel in 24 hours? Adventure beckons...

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old June 8th, 2013, 05:10 AM   #2
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): 2007 GSXR 600

This applies to any bike but I'd say the distance you travel will all depend on how you feel that day along with if it's boring slab rides or fun back roads. If you can knock out 500 miles and keep going without being too fatigued to hurt your overall performance then go for it. But if you go 500 miles and are feeling tired then it's obviously a good idea to stop for the night.

If ithis is a trip you're planning are you doing a majority of highway riding or back roads? That will ultimately decide how many miles you go in 24 hours. Not to mention sight seeing if that's something your interested in doing.

For me personally doing 400 miles of mainly back roads is the most I'll do in a day.
nautica is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2013, 05:58 AM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
.........if one wanted to ride, say, across the country, how many miles are feasible to travel in 24 hours?........
For a marathon, the sky is the limit, as long has coffee and gas are available.

http://www.ironbutt.com/about/defaul...TOKEN=13495553

For a trip of several days, you will not want to be on the road for more than 8 or 10 hours.

The traveled distance is difficult to calculate, since it depends on so many variables (wind, temperature, rain, traffic, road condition, drag and weight of luggage, gas availability, etc.)

Don't forget to keep lubricating your chain and to keep an eye on the oil level and tires' pressure during the trip !!!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2013, 09:02 AM   #4
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

I can put in a lot more hours and have a lot more fun by keeping off the superslab. 200-300 miles on the interstate is terrible, boring, and exhausting, whereas 300-400 miles on backroads may take twice as long, but is my idea of a good time.

On average, when I'm doing a major trip (usually east coast to midwest; sometimes north or south along the seaboard), I plan on 350-400 miles a day, with no more than about 100 of that on interstate. That usually requires about a 10 hour day. The most I've done is four of those days consecutively, and it is always a blast. If you have easy stopovers along the way (friends at point X, family at point Y), then it's even easier. Ride 2 or 3 days, stop for a day to socialize, and then hit it again. Pretty much the best way to spend time!
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 8th, 2013, 09:05 AM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

24 hrs * 70 mph = 1680 miles. Piece of cake.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old June 8th, 2013, 09:16 AM   #6
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Name: Richie

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda CRF300L Rally, 2015 Ninja ZX6R 636, 2014 Ninja 1000, 2013 Ninja 300 (sold), 2011 Ninja 250R (sold)

I've done 600 in a day before. I spent about 12 hours riding my ninjette from Conway, AR to Pensacola, FL. A cramp buster is a nice thing to have on a trip like that. It was nice only spending $75 on fuel round trip.
geeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2013, 12:26 PM   #7
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
I rode from the S.F. Bay area to San Diego and back over three days and logged in 1600 miles. I'd say 60% of that was twisties or close to it so it kept me entertained. As long as you keep me entertained I can LITERALY run all day and night and then some but then again I am the oddity among oddities
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #8
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
I can LITERALY run all day and night and then some
What was your longest non-stop run?
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #9
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
What was your longest non-stop run?
They're not completely non stop since we have to stop every 10 miles or so for a few minutes to eat and drink but I've done 3 100mile Trail Ultra marathons with my fastest in 22Hr and 51mins.

I've also completed 3 solo 24hr MTB races covering as much as 175 miles in the 24 hrs.

Stop making that odd face, doesn't everyone throw on a pair of running shoe and go through several counties over the biggest mountain they can find just for the fun of it

Old June 8th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #10
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
For my ride to New York with @setasai, I'm hoping to limit each day to 300mi so that its not exhausting and still fun. I think we may be going over that limit by a little bit though
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2013, 01:43 PM   #11
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
They're not completely non stop since we have to stop every 10 miles or so for a few minutes to eat and drink but I've done 3 100mile Trail Ultra marathons with my fastest in 22Hr and 51mins.

I've also completed 3 solo 24hr MTB races covering as much as 175 miles in the 24 hrs.

Stop making that odd face, doesn't everyone throw on a pair of running shoe and go through several counties over the biggest mountain they can find just for the fun of it
ok... short answer is 175 miles
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #12
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
For my ride to New York with @setasai, I'm hoping to limit each day to 300mi so that its not exhausting and still fun. I think we may be going over that limit by a little bit though
Haha, it's really not that bad as long as you take the appropriate breaks. Plus the route i've put together for us goes through a bunch of twisties and fun roads where we dont have to worry about there being a whole bunch of traffic. Shouldnt be too tiring. There are some days that are shorter around 240miles.

I've done 425miles from san jose, ca to orange country, ca riding down PCH. The scenic route really made the trip enjoyable and honestly, I wasnt any more tired riding than I would have been driving the car.

Old June 8th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #13
voidrider
ninjette.org member

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 2000 Kawasaki Super Sherpa

My longest day started about 10 am, ended the next morning about 4 am.

Rode only about 600 miles. Lots of back and mountain roads.

Had a route planned, a riding buddy lost his wallet, so we ended up backtracking (after dark) through what is normally a GREAT twisty mountain road. But we were hitting all the places we had pulled over or stopped. I wasn't going to head for home and leave him alone on a remote road.

Ended up that my last 150 miles or so were on my own, on a highway.

I'd say that day quit being fun after about 8 hours. But that was mostly from the stress of the ride going sideways, needing to backtrack, my friend freaking out...etc.
voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #14
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

My longest day was from Houston, to Austin, and back again. About 350 miles total or so. It was a long day of riding...and quite warm. One of those days a CamelBak would have come in handy...

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #15
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Longest ride, 850 miles from Chattanooga, TN to Houston, TX via New Orleans, 14 hours and 20 minutes. Early summer, heat over 100F from New Orleans to Houston. Many 750 mile one-day rides.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #16
Corona
ninjette.org member

Name: Carlos

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R (Crashed/Unexistent) / 11 Ninja ZX6R

the longest Ive done is about 180 miles from where I live in CA to Ensenada Baja and back on the same day, on several occasions. usually ride "to" in the morning and ride back at night.
Corona is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2013, 07:42 PM   #17
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09' Blue Ninja 250R and 07' Honda 919

longest i did in 1day was pittsburgh to richmond, all backroads thru WV to Staunton Va found a nail in my tire so superslabed it from staunton to richmond.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2013, 07:50 PM   #18
xSean13

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

I went like 320 miles from Nashville to NC. It was all interstate and boring as crap until I got in the mountains, and then was slightly less boring. Not to mention it stormed the whole way there and back (no rain gear, boo)...so make sure you're prepared for whatever weather you'd face.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #19
soggybottom
Aimless

Name: rory

Motorcycle(s): 01 ninja 250

I find I'm good for 100 mile stretches. 4 maybe 5 a day, stopping for 10 or 15 minutes in between. I try not to overdo it.

Old June 9th, 2013, 03:52 AM   #20
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Thanks for the responses!
I realize I'm not mechanically savvy enough to actually make a trip that long, but halfway across the country to somewhere really cool might be doable. From my house to the Pacific is over 33 hours road time, ~2500 miles. It's a dream of mine, so maybe one day!

Old June 9th, 2013, 04:03 AM   #21
vman1313
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): '14 Honda NC700X; '14 Honda CRF250L; '07 Lifan 200

Quote:
I realize I'm not mechanically savvy enough to actually make a trip that long, but halfway across the country to somewhere really cool might be doable. From my house to the Pacific is over 33 hours road time, ~2500 miles. It's a dream of mine, so maybe one day!
HAHAHA! I have been contemplating almost the EXACT same thing. I life in Buford but I want to drive down to Savannah, stay over night, take a pic at sunrise, start riding til I get to the Pacific Ocean, and take a pic at sunset. Obviously not straight riding the whole thing, I figure it would take about 3-4 days one way of NOT killing yourself each day to do it. I am a school teacher so I have the whole summer to do it. I think it would be a once in a lifetime thing and a blast to do BUT what holds me back are the following:
1. Weather
2. The ride back....fun or torture.

www.northgariders.com
NuBe4Life!!!
vman1313 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2013, 04:06 AM   #22
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

Most I did on the 250r was about 320 miles. I stopped a twice I think (once to stretch once for fuel). I could have gone further if needed, but my biggest issue was my phone battery. Constant GPS/music killed it pretty quickly and I didn't really know where I was going without it. One day, I'd like to drive my 636 out to Cali to hit some of them beautiful Cali roads with my good friend @mohamoda

I just did the same trip in my girlfriends car yesterday and probably complained like a baby every 20 minutes that it was uncomfortable and boring... 250r > cars
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2013, 06:28 AM   #23
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUc View Post
I just did the same trip in my girlfriends car yesterday and probably complained like a baby every 20 minutes that it was uncomfortable and boring... 250r > cars
^^ + unimaginable number

Old June 9th, 2013, 06:48 AM   #24
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I think my longest on this bike is about 360-380 over a weekend. In a single day, somewhere between high 200's to low 300's (can't recall). I know on my old pregen I rode from basically Lake Tahoe to Four Corners through Nevada and then back via Utah. That was a fun trip.

I am going to be taking a (per Google) 1700 mile trip over a week soon and I am seriously contemplating a SaddleSore 1K since Nevada is blessed/cursed with vast roads and few towns to slow you down.

The end goal is to be able to take a trip cross country up to Nova Scotia-ish and just see the other half of this beautiful continent.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2013, 08:08 AM   #25
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidrider View Post
..........Had a route planned, a riding buddy lost his wallet, so we ended up backtracking (after dark) through what is normally a GREAT twisty mountain road. But we were hitting all the places we had pulled over or stopped. I wasn't going to head for home and leave him alone on a remote road.
Did you guys find that wallet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
Longest ride, 850 miles from Chattanooga, TN to Houston, TX via New Orleans, 14 hours and 20 minutes. Early summer, heat over 100F from New Orleans to Houston. Many 750 mile one-day rides.
Man, .............you are a machine !!!

I have just found this article about fatigue:

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/technical/200508fatigue.pdf

Last futzed with by Motofool; June 9th, 2013 at 09:28 AM.

Old June 9th, 2013, 02:48 PM   #26
vman1313
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
oh and PS...I too am mechanically challenged but my idea was to add/get roadside assistance in case of emergency.

www.northgariders.com
NuBe4Life!!!

Old June 9th, 2013, 03:02 PM   #27
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:

Ermmm, the longest I've ever gone without stopping was the Duathlon I just did, which was 1:45 of biking and running. Only rest time was my shoe/bike changes. Kudos Sir.

I've biked through 5 cities in one ride and run between 3 counties in one run. Does that count?

Furthest I've gone in one day on the ninja was 240 miles with nautica. I'm not big on long trips in the car or motorcycle. I'd rather sight-see and take my time. :idunno
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2013, 04:20 PM   #28
verboten1

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
I've done plenty of long expressway blasts, just not on the Ninja. I'm thinking I can do 500 miles if I have to, it's a fairly comfortable bike, and the wind protection is nice. I'll even go so far to say the vibes and stability are great compared to what I'm used to!

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2013, 04:28 PM   #29
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Here was my last ride to LA as recorded on my phone complete with a new top speed record for myself. I always say to travel the path least traveled.
https://www.strava.com/activities/44456013

Old June 10th, 2013, 05:04 AM   #30
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman1313 View Post
HAHAHA! I have been contemplating almost the EXACT same thing. I life in Buford but I want to drive down to Savannah, stay over night, take a pic at sunrise, start riding til I get to the Pacific Ocean, and take a pic at sunset. Obviously not straight riding the whole thing, I figure it would take about 3-4 days one way of NOT killing yourself each day to do it. I am a school teacher so I have the whole summer to do it. I think it would be a once in a lifetime thing and a blast to do BUT what holds me back are the following:
1. Weather
2. The ride back....fun or torture.

I live in Athens! And I'm a school teacher too! Maybe we should plan something! I think I want to take the 300, so maybe next summer. That post on here about the 300 not being made for long-distance riding made me want to slap a corbin seat on that bitch and do it. It's like those signs..."Don't push this button". I always want to push the button! "Don't ride this bike very far". I'm gonna ride it and like it.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old June 10th, 2013, 05:50 AM   #31
vman1313
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I live in Athens! And I'm a school teacher too! Maybe we should plan something! I think I want to take the 300, so maybe next summer. That post on here about the 300 not being made for long-distance riding made me want to slap a corbin seat on that bitch and do it. It's like those signs..."Don't push this button". I always want to push the button! "Don't ride this bike very far". I'm gonna ride it and like it.
HAHAHA! I hear ya...the first thing I did to my 300 was redo the seat. Found a small Tempurpedic pillow so I ripped out the foam and put that joker in and sore butt fixed.

Thats cool - what grade do you teach? I teach elementary music in Hall County.

www.northgariders.com
NuBe4Life!!!

Old June 10th, 2013, 06:06 AM   #32
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman1313 View Post
HAHAHA! I hear ya...the first thing I did to my 300 was redo the seat. Found a small Tempurpedic pillow so I ripped out the foam and put that joker in and sore butt fixed.

Thats cool - what grade do you teach? I teach elementary music in Hall County.

Elementary, general ed. I taught 4th grade for 6 years and have been in an EIP position for the last three and this upcoming year. I love my hyper-active ADHD kids. We have a blast! And they all passed the CRCT!

Old June 10th, 2013, 08:06 AM   #33
voidrider
ninjette.org member

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 2000 Kawasaki Super Sherpa

Quote:
People get poo-brain about all sorts of stuff. A lot of self-justification and judgmental thinking goes on. I think a lot of people know THEY are not up to the task, and then ego projects their shortcomings onto their bike..."Oh, I could ride coast to coast, but I would need the Ultra-Farkle 1200".

Its absolutely the rider, NOT the bike that defines capability. That's not to say that any bike does everything well, but the ideal you have to have the perfect niche bike to do something is so limiting. Not so many years ago people toured the world on UJMs because that was what was available.

Someone says, "Your bike can't blah blah blah". I send them a link like this one - http://www.thepostman.org.uk/the-bike/ and say "yeah, read this then get back to me".
voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2013, 09:14 AM   #34
fishdip

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Longest ride 1500 miles on a cbr 600rr

Old June 10th, 2013, 10:11 AM   #35
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidrider View Post
..........Someone says, "Your bike can't blah blah blah". I send them a link like this one - http://www.thepostman.org.uk/the-bike/ and say "yeah, read this then get back to me".
Great link !!!

That reminds me of an epic round trip of around 1000 km completed with my Puch 50 cc, many, many years ago.

Old June 10th, 2013, 01:25 PM   #36
vman1313
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Elementary, general ed. I taught 4th grade for 6 years and have been in an EIP position for the last three and this upcoming year. I love my hyper-active ADHD kids. We have a blast! And they all passed the CRCT!
Thats AWESOME! I teach at a predominantly Hispanic (98%) school. Our kids as a whole did fairly well on the CRCT considering they barely speak English. All I can say is, I LOVE MY SUMMERS OFF! HAHAHAHA!

We should plan a ride soon. I am pretty much free any day. I am familiar with some pretty cool roads just north of Athens near/around Nicholson OR we can hit up the mountains where I know some really good roads. Weekdays rule since there isn't as much traffic and wackos. HAHAHAHA! We can then dream about a coast to coast trip...

www.northgariders.com
NuBe4Life!!!

Old June 10th, 2013, 07:21 PM   #37
dwright0723
ninjette.org member

Name: Darryl

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

I don't know how you guys do any long riding at all! My arms and lower back were a bit sore after the two 6- hour MSF riding days...
dwright0723 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #38
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
The faster more fluid you ride the easier it is on your body. My hardest days of ride are the ones where I'm the instructor riding at a snails pace trying to keep my students in tow. My shoulders, forearms and wrist kill me by the end of the day.

On the flip side I can go do a several hour endurance race solo at 100% and come out with more fatigue but half of the aches and pains.

Old June 10th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #39
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Leading long group rides of the "slower" group leads to some soreness then next day. Even worse when I lead while 2 up. Ugggg...... 11.5 hours with 2-3 hours of breaks is about the long route I take on Sunday's every so often. It's about 300+ miles of twisties through the woods. I couldn't imagine doing more while 2 up on my r6 but I think I could do another hour or so on the 250 with the right prep.

If it was straight up slab... I think I could only last maybe 5-6 hours before I would be done for the day.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2013, 10:39 AM   #40
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:

The hardest part of a long ride has very little to do with the bike itself, or even the body so much. The hardest part is the mind. If you can imagine yourself doing a long ride, and you actually use that visualization to set goals for both physical and bike prep, then you can pull it off pretty easily. The thing to realize is that lots of people have ridden really long rides on the little Ninja with little or no problems. Heck, even the problems were generally surmountable, look at this epic ride: http://forums.ninja250.org/viewtopic...ghlight=mexico

As to the actual physical prep, IMHO the best thing to do is to build up to long rides with shorter rides of increasing length. This allows you to both get the confidence and experience in long-distance riding as well as identifying deficiencies in gear, bike, and technique. I started small, with 100-250 mile rides which quickly pointed out the problems with the stock seat. I found a Corbin to fix that. I also developed a riding style using a well-stuffed and padded tank bag to support my torso and chin such that I could fully relax my body when I ride, other than two fingers for throttle. That allows me to do very long legs repeatedly without noticeable physical or mental tiredness, and no soreness in the following days.

My very first ride as a licensed rider was in March of 2009. In June of that year I'd worked up to a 240 mile one-day each way ride. In August I did it again, 225 miles each way, one day each. After several more rides in that class over a year I did my first really long ride in October '10, 740 miles, which I easily did in one day. It had been nineteen months and 18K miles since beginning to ride. I stopped every couple of hours for breaks, etc. On the way back I decreased my stops to once every 3 hours or so, and in later years I've done similar rides stopping only for gas. This year I'm seriously contemplating an IBR run, and am completely confident in being able to complete it.

FWIW, there's nothing like an adventure, and long rides across this country definitely qualify as that. It starts with that first step, and all that.

Also, it's better to do it while you're still young and bendy, if you wait until you're an old fart like me it's a lot harder.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote