ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old September 15th, 2010, 10:41 PM   #1
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

good and bad tire - or good and bad riding?

The reason im asking is because i am not really sure. Ninja is my first bike, and i had stock ircs for about 4000 miles. I used them on dry and wet, and havent slipped. I even did some track time, and i had no issues.

Then i switched to BT-090. They were supposed to be awesome. So after the initial excitement, i realized that nothing really changed. Dry and wet, some track time, and the bike is not slipping. Another 4000 miles, the front seems a bit odd, rear is almost gone in the center and sides are more or less intact, plus that never used edge because of the bigger size.

Anyway, after some miles i am a bit better then i was at the start, i learned some important stuff, (like look where you want to be, dont cut the throttle, dont be stiff with your hands, dont grab the brakes mid turn,...) and this is what has (at least how i see it) improved my overall control and feel of the bike. I dont think it was the tires.
Well, to be honest, i did slip, but only if i hit a pothole, or ride over the bloody lines on the road while its wet. Both Ircs and Bridgestones lost it in those situations, the difference is that now i dont panic and kill the gas.

So what is it that i am supposed to "feel" when i replace the tire again?
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2010, 12:42 AM   #2
kkim

if you don't feel a difference, stick with the IRCs and eventually you'll find out.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2010, 04:49 AM   #3
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2010, 06:29 AM   #4
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

grab the brakes hard in the rain... with IRC tires and see what happens to the rear

I remember having to come to a quick stop on an 80kph road when it had just started pouring, I didn't think the back end was ever going to stop swinging back and forth.. LOL
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2010, 09:48 AM   #5
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Rose

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Blue Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by demp View Post
grab the brakes hard in the rain... with IRC tires and see what happens to the rear

I remember having to come to a quick stop on an 80kph road when it had just started pouring, I didn't think the back end was ever going to stop swinging back and forth.. LOL
Even if you grab your brakes on dry surface!
I once did that for an emergency stop and my back tire wouldn't stop swinging.. I was able to control it but I'm really thinking the stock tires are not all that great..
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2010, 09:50 AM   #6
demp
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
Even if you grab your brakes on dry surface!
I once did that for an emergency stop and my back tire wouldn't stop swinging.. I was able to control it but I'm really thinking the stock tires are not all that great..
Yeah, was scary as hell when I did that... cause it got all dark real fast, starts pouring, and the bike starts skiiing side to side like im carving the side of a mountain XD

Old September 16th, 2010, 10:01 AM   #7
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Rose

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Blue Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by demp View Post
Yeah, was scary as hell when I did that... cause it got all dark real fast, starts pouring, and the bike starts skiiing side to side like im carving the side of a mountain XD
LOL, that's the same feeling I had! I remember thinking, this can't be right.. are the tires supposed to swing like that?? Luckily the front tire held well so I was able to control it but man.. was that weird! Need to invest on better tires I guess
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2010, 11:34 AM   #8
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

For the most part, I'd say that a good number of street riders don't take their tires anywhere near their performance limits, so most tires will feel the same. There will be the obvious bad ones, whos performance limits are significantly lower than a 'higher end' tire...especially under wet/less than ideal riding conditions...and the smaller quirks of each tire (ie: quicker turn in, longer tread life, etc), but for the most part, I doubt there will be a significant change from tire to tire.

Track riding is a different story, though.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2010, 04:26 AM   #9
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

I suppose i should go back to ircs now, to see... I threw them away. And have absolutely no idea where to buy them again.
Well then, wait for the next tire change and see what comes out of it all, not much else to do.
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2010, 04:30 AM   #10
demp
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domagoj View Post
I suppose i should go back to ircs now, to see... I threw them away. And have absolutely no idea where to buy them again.
Well then, wait for the next tire change and see what comes out of it all, not much else to do.
You really don't want IRC tires!

They're like riding on wood. They will last forever, if you can keep the bike upright on them I was lucky, had to replace them due to nails

Old September 17th, 2010, 06:37 AM   #11
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Haha those IRC tires are pretty damn low end. You can get Bridgestone's for a decent price and they're far superior.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2010, 07:30 AM   #12
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domagoj View Post
So what is it that i am supposed to "feel" when i replace the tire again?
Confidence in having new tires!

But like others mentioned, if your not out riding the lower end tires....no real sense buying super sticky race ones.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote