ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 19th, 2013, 12:23 PM   #1
Nyborg
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

Buying a Used 2008-2012 250R From a Dealership - Pricing Questions

I am a new, aspiring rider and have been seriously looking into purchasing a Ninja 250 for my first bike. I will probably be going the used route for my first bike so that I don't cry myself to sleep after my first drop. I've been considering both the dealership route as well as purchasing from a private seller and will probably make that decision depending on what I find for the right price.

I've been browsing Craigslist and Dealer adds over the last few weeks to start getting an idea of what kind of prices I will be looking at, keeping my eye out for especially good deals. I have never bought anything from a dealership before, and am curious as to how much I can work with them over the price. Some adds seem to list these bikes far over what I feel they should be listed at, and I have also noticed rather large pricing variations from dealership to dealership. I am not necessarily considering buying either of these bikes, but have been noticing similar tactics used by dealerships, and am simply looking for some input from more experienced buyers/riders.

For example, these two bikes are currently BOTH listed for sale at the same dealership for the SAME PRICE. These two bikes are different model years, and have approximately a 2-3k mileage difference between the two bikes. Is it normal to see these two bikes listed for the same price? Are they actually worth the same amount? How much could I expect to talk a dealer down on a bike like this?

Example 1: 2009 250r - Miles: roughly 3k - Asking Price $3998

Bike 2: 2012 250r - 932 Miles - Asking Price $3998

Why are these two bikes that are 3 model years apart, and 2k miles apart listed for the same price? What do you feel these bikes are worth? How much can a dealer be talked down? Why do dealerships use strategies like this when selling bikes? I noticed that the 2009 has an aftermarket exhaust, but my gut tells me that this does not make it worth the same asking price as a bike 3 model years newer with 2k+ less miles.

Thanks for any and all advice,
Nyborg
Nyborg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
first of all- don't buy a used bike from a dealership. you will not find a way out of getting ripped off in that deal.

second, the 09 is worth 2500.
the 12 is worth maybe 3500 but probably not really that much because of the ninja 300.

don't pay over 2500 for a used ninja 250. you'll find a better deal. right now is the worst time to buy a bike (prices high ramping up for summer)

Old April 19th, 2013, 12:38 PM   #3
xSean13
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

If you love getting raped in the butt, I'd definitely buy from the dealership. Otherwise, I'd try to find something on craigslist or cycletrader...much better deals. Heck, I saw a new Ninja 300 with about 800 or so miles listed at 3800 on craigslist here a couple weeks ago.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2013, 12:53 PM   #4
Nyborg
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks for the advice. I obviously wouldn't be considering paying 4k for a used bike, when I could buy one new for nearly the same price.

I'm still curious as to why I have seen dealerships pricing bikes like these together when they obviously shouldn't be. Is it simply to take advantage of an inexperienced buyer? I'd still like to know what they could realistically be talked down to as well. At this point its more of a curiosity thing, i have seen far better deals from private sellers so far.

Old April 19th, 2013, 01:01 PM   #5
fishdip

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

You can get a new 0 miles 250 in co at a few dealers for 3999 out the door.
fishdip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2013, 10:54 AM   #6
contact148
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250 2013 GSXR 600

call around dealers may have brand new 2012 they want to be rid of. I got mine in march for 4K brand new and im in ontario canada and our prices are way higher then in the USA (usually)
contact148 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2013, 01:06 PM   #7
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Well shopping in California isn't going to help much. I'm sure you've already realized that just looking on Craigslist. Although the 250 seems to be hovering around 3 to 3.5k in NorCal. I think that buying from a dealership isn't a totally bad idea. The problem with the 250 is that its a beginners bike so most of them on Craigslist aren't pretty or well maintained. It that matters to you. If you're buying a 250 to learn on and move to something else in a matter of 3 to 6 months, by all means get a 08 that somebody threw down the road and buy it for $2500 or whatever. Dealerships will charge you more but it's easy to get financing for them and the bikes are clean.

IMHO the question you need to answer is what are your 6 month plans for the 250? And then what is your financial situation? If buying a 250 is going to hurt the wallet big time and you want to enjoy motorcycling on the street cough up the dough and get a nice clean bike. Finance from a dealer and build up your credit score.

If 3 grand is a drop in the bucket and you're getting your feet wet, I'll estimate that you'll be new bike hunting after one season. Nothing is wrong at all with that. Just sharing a trend that I've noticed so you can make the best decision for yourself.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2013, 02:20 PM   #8
Nyborg
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks for the advice so far,

I think ideally my hope for my first Ninja 250 is to attempt to keep it clean and classy and hopefully ride it for 2-3 years. This is part of my problem when looking for used bikes from private sellers; some of them have been dropped, some of them have some damage, and the majority have mods done, or colors that I probably wouldn't put on my bike personally. I'm a fan of very sleek, clean, and classy custom bikes.

Ideally, I hope to be riding my 250 for 2-3 years (I'm sure a lot of people say that, and quickly decide that they are ready to move up). My dream bikes are really either an R6 or a GSXR. However, since they are both "dream" bikes I would want to buy them either new, or in extremely good condition to be sure that they will last me a long time. Unfortunately, I cant afford an R6/GSXR in prime condition, nor can I afford the insurance fees, to keep it that way. I think that is why I am leaning towards the 250 for my first bike, and is part of the reason why I am hooping to ride it for at least a couple years.

The way I see it I have three options:
  • The first is to buy a cheap-**** used 250, for 2.5-3k not care much about the aesthetics, slap minimum liability on it, ride it, have fun, and decide what to do in a year or two.
  • The second is to find a nicer used 250 from a dealer, or I suppose a private seller and work on it to keep it nice and sleek, and make some of my own modifications.
  • Last if the price tag for a 250 seems to be getting high enough to warrant tossing in a bit of extra cash to pick up the 300 instead, I would consider that as well.

Old April 20th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #9
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Option 4 - join up with credit union. Get 4 grand personal loan. Buy a used 300 if you find one. Forgot, the 300 is a better bike than the 250.

Old April 20th, 2013, 03:53 PM   #10
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

I say buy a cheap 250 and then trade in for a new 300 when you're ready. That way you won't toss a new bike and won't have to cry yourself to sleep...

Old April 20th, 2013, 03:58 PM   #11
ManOfGod
ManOfGod

Name: Bradley

Motorcycle(s): '02 Ninja 250r Scuffed and scratched blue...soon to be black, I think...

I paid $1800 for my 02 Ninjette.
So far I have only spent about $125-150 on catching up the maintenance. It has 14k on it, but runs great. I, too, want my bike to look classy, therefore I have chosen to paint it. I purchased all the painting supplies(rattlecans) for under $60. I haven't looked at decal prices yet...

Plus your mileage would be better with a pregen. My first two tanks(after it sitting for the winter unstabilized) I got 52mpg with pretty aggressive riding.

Hope that helps somehow.
--Brad
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whoever believes in Him might have eternal life."-John 3:16
ManOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2013, 09:13 PM   #12
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyborg View Post
[*]The first is to buy a cheap-**** used 250, for 2.5-3k not care much about the aesthetics, slap minimum liability on it, ride it, have fun, and decide what to do in a year or two.
Noooooooooooo.

Old April 21st, 2013, 06:40 AM   #13
ManOfGod
ManOfGod

Name: Bradley

Motorcycle(s): '02 Ninja 250r Scuffed and scratched blue...soon to be black, I think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
Noooooooooooo.
What's wrong with that?

My insurance(min liability) is $12/month.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whoever believes in Him might have eternal life."-John 3:16
ManOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2013, 08:26 AM   #14
five10
ninjette.org member

Name: Nasty

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ebony Ninja 300

SFMoto = no haggling. If you are some genius, top 10% haggler, you may get something off. Or if you find an unreported flaw in the bike -- I think they were considering taking a few bucks off for a crack in the front fairing from an overtightened joint.

IMO, if there's less than 1,000 miles on the bike and you're not mechanically savvy , get it from SFMoto. You're basically getting a brand new bike with a "factory inspection" done, continued warranty from Kawasaki, 3 month warranty from SFMoto, and % off during service visits.

If you are savvy, just buy off CL. There were a few 2011/2012 models for like $3500. If you go CL, be deliberate and decisive as season will start and stock will dry up... then it's the season for CL-hell.

That said, I went with a new 300. Got it last month and love it. See my signature for tips on negotiation and what to consider when buying a new bike.

Old April 21st, 2013, 08:53 AM   #15
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOfGod View Post
What's wrong with that?

My insurance(min liability) is $12/month.
Insurance, and Why You Need More of it

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2013, 09:40 AM   #16
thurt88
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CRF250L, 2010 ninja 250r

I don't enjoy getting raped at the dealer but there is something to be said for piece of mind. I know my used bike from the dealer has been inspected and serviced. Some even offer warrantees on used bikes. So there is some sort of accountability.

I don't trust anyone as a general rule. Craigslist is a breeding ground for criminals. There are the scams, title problems, unknown service issues, not to mention jerry rigged mods. Also, what if some meth head is waiting for you to come look at his bike for sale that he don't even have. You show up with cash expecting to buy a bike but instead get beat down, robbed and chained in a basement.

Yea, I just go with the dealer.
thurt88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2013, 10:03 AM   #17
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by thurt88 View Post
what if some meth head is waiting for you to come look at his bike for sale that he don't even have. You show up with cash expecting to buy a bike but instead get beat down, robbed and chained in a basement.

Yea, I just go with the dealer.

allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2013, 11:48 AM   #18
Nyborg
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Great insurance information, thanks for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by five10 View Post
SFMoto = no haggling. If you are some genius, top 10% haggler, you may get something off. Or if you find an unreported flaw in the bike -- I think they were considering taking a few bucks off for a crack in the front fairing from an overtightened joint.

IMO, if there's less than 1,000 miles on the bike and you're not mechanically savvy , get it from SFMoto. You're basically getting a brand new bike with a "factory inspection" done, continued warranty from Kawasaki, 3 month warranty from SFMoto, and % off during service visits.

If you are savvy, just buy off CL. There were a few 2011/2012 models for like $3500. If you go CL, be deliberate and decisive as season will start and stock will dry up... then it's the season for CL-hell.

That said, I went with a new 300. Got it last month and love it. See my signature for tips on negotiation and what to consider when buying a new bike.
Good info here on SF Motors, thanks. One of my original questions still comes to mind when reading this though; why on earth are these two bikes still priced the same? (They also added 3 more bikes to CL postings, all with varying miles/model years 2008-2012 and <1k miles to >8k miles and all posted at the same price) Does the "Factory Inspection" done at SF motors really add that much value?

Old April 21st, 2013, 12:03 PM   #19
Nyborg
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by five10 View Post

Great info on your buying experience for the 300 as well, thanks for that. Since I'm only about an hour outside of the bay, all of this pricing information is extremely relevant for me.

Thanks again.

Old April 21st, 2013, 05:21 PM   #20
five10
ninjette.org member

Name: Nasty

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ebony Ninja 300

Quote:
Great insurance information, thanks for that.

Good info here on SF Motors, thanks. One of my original questions still comes to mind when reading this though; why on earth are these two bikes still priced the same? (They also added 3 more bikes to CL postings, all with varying miles/model years 2008-2012 and <1k miles to >8k miles and all posted at the same price) Does the "Factory Inspection" done at SF motors really add that much value?
I have no idea about why they chose to price like that, but when I was in the market for one, I just looked at the low mileage 2010-2012 models.

They would want you to think it adds a lot of value. The inspection they do ranges from simple things like checking fluid levels and condition, to abstract things like giving it a good ol butt-in-seat test, to more complicated things. Ask them for a list. They also do the next service when the mileage is close and change the wheels if the tread is low.

That said, I was also considering J&M in Mountain View and some other dealership that was never open when I was in town. MotoJava??

Quote:
Great info on your buying experience for the 300 as well, thanks for that. Since I'm only about an hour outside of the bay, all of this pricing information is extremely relevant for me.

Thanks again.
No problem. The season is basically started so you should make up your mind fairly quickly and pull the trigger.

Old April 22nd, 2013, 09:21 AM   #21
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

I ended up buying both my bikes through mark at j&m Motorsports. His business concept is buying "used" bikes and turning profit by moving lots of bikes instead of making a lot off the margin. Meaning he would get 250s wholesale with literally 300 miles on them and sell them as buying used. So no dealership fees, get a super clean bike, and you only pay a bit more than what you could find on Craigslist.

I traded in a bike to him. Straight up he walked over put gas in it and said start it. He and his mechanic looked it over for about 15 min before making me an offer. The owner and his brother were AMA road racing caliber awhile back. Good guys and super professional.